Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Lord Voldemort aka Tom Marvolo Riddle: Character Analysis

Old September 11th, 2007, 8:18 pm
Fourth Year

Re: Lord Voldemort aka Tom Marvolo Riddle: Character Analysis

Quote:
Voldemort's main faults were his thirst for power, his desire for dominance, but ultimately, his pride.
I agree..He made faults that made Harry more powerful..As DD said, he made his own destroyer.

Old September 11th, 2007, 10:55 pm
Second Year

Quote:
I think it was a combination of his charm and later on the fact that people were terrified of him that let him achieve so much power.
That's true, that's true...but what about the feelings of pureblood supremecy? That problem would still be there, waiting for someone else to use it -- but I'm getting farther and farther from the topic. Or am I? A great villain would have been able to frame prejudice against muggles in such a way that reasonable people would have responded to it too. To me, he would have been scarier and more interesting if he had been less obviously crazy. That's what I mean about him being "perfectly bad." A great villain would have some thrilling internal conflict. Voldemort, irredeemable and without conscience, can be thrilling (like that guy from the usual suspects, when he executes his own children to prove how hard he is), but not as thrilling as he would be if he were still feeling the conflict between good and evil.

Old September 12th, 2007, 1:03 am
Dr Mrs The Monarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowdogs View Post
That's true, that's true...but what about the feelings of pureblood supremecy? That problem would still be there, waiting for someone else to use it -- but I'm getting farther and farther from the topic. Or am I?
Like I said, there will always be weakness in Wizarding Society, blood supremecy is one of them. But after the second fall of Voldemort, The Ministry (according to JKR's interview) become a better place and I think Wizarding Society in general would be able to handle such threats better.
Quote:
A great villain would have been able to frame prejudice against muggles in such a way that reasonable people would have responded to it too.
I think he did a pretty good job with the whole "Muggle-borns steal magic" angle.
Quote:
To me, he would have been scarier and more interesting if he had been less obviously crazy. That's what I mean about him being "perfectly bad." A great villain would have some thrilling internal conflict. Voldemort, irredeemable and without conscience, can be thrilling (like that guy from the usual suspects, when he executes his own children to prove how hard he is), but not as thrilling as he would be if he were still feeling the conflict between good and evil.
I understand what you mean, but I think Jo wanted a purely evil villian.
I guess it's a matter of taste as well. I really don't feel that Voldemort having an internal conflict would have made him more scary or thrilling, but that's just me.

Last edited by snapegirl; September 12th, 2007 at 1:29 am.
Old September 12th, 2007, 1:25 am
Defender of Dogs

He was kind of like Snape and Harry in the way that he was never loved. However, Harry dealt with it and became good, Voldemort and became evil. Snape.... well, I find it a stretch to be able to call him "good." But yes, Voldemort did what he did because of anger and hate. I ALMOST feel sorry for him. ALMOST. :P

Old September 13th, 2007, 8:43 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignisia View Post

Why all the imagery and metaphors? It's almost perverse, with Voldemort "praying" to the Elder Wand and that deadly "halo" above his head. And then there's the comparison to a child, of all things. Is Harry finally pitying Voldemort, seeing him as the simple, deluded, and stunted man he is?

But still, what of the theological images? Perhaps Voldemort praying over the wand is sort of like to Voldemort all that is good and can save him is not some god or even his own heart, but his power, or (to be more literal) a material object: the wand.
"Every eye was fixed upon Voldemort, who stood with his head bowed, and his white hands folded over the Elder Wand in front of him. He might have been praying, or else counting silently in his mind, and Harry, standing still on the edge of the scene, thought absurdly of a child counting in a game of hide-and-seek. Behind his head, still swirling and coiling, the great snake Nagini floated in her glittering, charmed cage, like a monstrous halo".

That quote you gave from deathly hallows, which is restated again straight above made me realize something. Voldemort praying over something like a wand in DH, correlates near perfectly how he looked when he first out about his maigcal abilities. In the orphanage when Dumbledore enters Riddle's bedroom...

"His head was bowed as though in prayer and he whispered to his own quivering fingers, "I knew I was different...Always I knew there was something."

That was not the exact quote or page number. Here it is also like he was praying, and also in this orphange scene he was whispering to his own quivering fingers, or in other words, the source of his magic. Later, it's not his fingers, but the elder wand in Voldemort's lap that he is looking at!

And so, Harry thinks of a child playing hide and seek to count, because at a basic level Voldemort is still operating like he did in the orphange.

"Do not pity the dead, Harry. Pity the living and above all, those who live without love."

Tom Riddle's death was the saddest in Deathly Hallows, because he never really lived.
Old September 13th, 2007, 1:51 pm
Custodian of Hades Vault

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJB85 View Post
"Every eye was fixed upon Voldemort, who stood with his head bowed, and his white hands folded over the Elder Wand in front of him. He might have been praying, or else counting silently in his mind, and Harry, standing still on the edge of the scene, thought absurdly of a child counting in a game of hide-and-seek. Behind his head, still swirling and coiling, the great snake Nagini floated in her glittering, charmed cage, like a monstrous halo".

That quote you gave from deathly hallows, which is restated again straight above made me realize something. Voldemort praying over something like a wand in DH, correlates near perfectly how he looked when he first out about his maigcal abilities. In the orphanage when Dumbledore enters Riddle's bedroom...

"His head was bowed as though in prayer and he whispered to his own quivering fingers, "I knew I was different...Always I knew there was something."

That was not the exact quote or page number. Here it is also like he was praying, and also in this orphange scene he was whispering to his own quivering fingers, or in other words, the source of his magic. Later, it's not his fingers, but the elder wand in Voldemort's lap that he is looking at!

And so, Harry thinks of a child playing hide and seek to count, because at a basic level Voldemort is still operating like he did in the orphange.
Nice catch! I hadn't noticed that JK used much the same imagery for beginning Voldy and ending Voldy. for that find

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Sustainability should be a part of what we do every day.
Old September 13th, 2007, 10:25 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapegirl77 View Post
I think he did a pretty good job with the whole "Muggle-borns steal magic" angle.
He could have gone much further and been horrendously effective, I'm afraid.

How hard would it be to arouse resentment against Muggles in the breast of an ordinary Wizard? One who struggles daily to keep himself and his family hidden from the Muggle world? One who is punished if he missteps in that struggle? One who understands that the reason for all this secrecy is the age-old prejudice and ghastly persecutions by Muggles against Magical Folk. One who must surely be appalled at the way Muggles continue to misuse and destroy Earth's precious resources in their attempts to approximate Magic....

If he weren't so blinded by his own prejudice (and thank goodness he was!) VM could easily have taken his plan to the next level. Had he addressed workaday Wizards and their oppression by Muggles, he could easily have stirred up hostility about their continuing sacrifice of having to deny themselves full membership and recognition in the world.

He could have dangled a beautiful carrot before them: Freedom. Openly exercising the full range of their abilities. Never skulking in the shadows. Having their own kind in charge for a change.

It doesn't sound so unreasonable. Why can't Wizards come out of the broom closet? Why must they hide? What have they done wrong, that they have to exist in secret?

Would it be such a stretch to convince the majority of Magical Folk that it's time to turn it around? It seems from the texts that the majority already look down on Muggles. Even if they don't actively resent them, they nevertheless have a low opinion of them. How far of a leap is it to convince the Wizarding world that Muggles should be protected from their own incompetence, that Wizards would do a far better job of running the world? Rhetoric like that from a charismatic leader could be very attractive to a Wizard audience.

The inherent danger, of course, is that once the ball got going it would quickly bounce out of control. Muggles would end up enslaved by the Magical establishment, but not before a tremendous lot of them died in the takeover.

Naturally, this would have suited VM just fine. He could have been King of the Whole Wide World. Too bad for him that he never considered Halfbloods and Mudbloods good enough to fight in his trenches.

Old September 13th, 2007, 11:11 pm
Dr Mrs The Monarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutmegNevis View Post
He could have gone much further and been horrendously effective, I'm afraid.

How hard would it be to arouse resentment against Muggles in the breast of an ordinary Wizard? One who struggles daily to keep himself and his family hidden from the Muggle world? One who is punished if he missteps in that struggle? One who understands that the reason for all this secrecy is the age-old prejudice and ghastly persecutions by Muggles against Magical Folk. One who must surely be appalled at the way Muggles continue to misuse and destroy Earth's precious resources in their attempts to approximate Magic....

If he weren't so blinded by his own prejudice (and thank goodness he was!) VM could easily have taken his plan to the next level. Had he addressed workaday Wizards and their oppression by Muggles, he could easily have stirred up hostility about their continuing sacrifice of having to deny themselves full membership and recognition in the world.

He could have dangled a beautiful carrot before them: Freedom. Openly exercising the full range of their abilities. Never skulking in the shadows. Having their own kind in charge for a change.

It doesn't sound so unreasonable. Why can't Wizards come out of the broom closet? Why must they hide? What have they done wrong, that they have to exist in secret?

Would it be such a stretch to convince the majority of Magical Folk that it's time to turn it around? It seems from the texts that the majority already look down on Muggles. Even if they don't actively resent them, they nevertheless have a low opinion of them. How far of a leap is it to convince the Wizarding world that Muggles should be protected from their own incompetence, that Wizards would do a far better job of running the world? Rhetoric like that from a charismatic leader could be very attractive to a Wizard audience.

The inherent danger, of course, is that once the ball got going it would quickly bounce out of control. Muggles would end up enslaved by the Magical establishment, but not before a tremendous lot of them died in the takeover.

Naturally, this would have suited VM just fine. He could have been King of the Whole Wide World. Too bad for him that he never considered Halfbloods and Mudbloods good enough to fight in his trenches.
I think we can't say exactly what Voldemort would have ultimately done if he stayed in power (control of the Ministry) beyond the 10 months.
I think his next step would of had been to control the muggles too. I can't find the quote right now, but I remember at the end of DH, Voldemort telling everyone after he thought that Harry died, that they should stop opposing him and help him create a new world. Granted, Voldemort does lie. I think in this instance, there is some truth in that. He would have taken the pure bloods and half bloods and had them "fighting in the trenches" as you say.

Old September 15th, 2007, 10:36 am
Fifth Year

He was like the SS with his 'Pure Blood' ideas, and yes, to go further with Muggles born stealing magic theory....rather the old court rooms, destroy them for spreading their desease.
But, he hadn't got that far.

Old September 15th, 2007, 12:15 pm
Lycanthrope

As villans go, he was quite unattractive. This is in line with some of the all time villans.

He wasn't related to Harry directly nor did he fall through time or spawn from an evil egg, or 7th star or forgotten distant planet so his beginnings in an Orphan House and onto a Magical School where the good and compassionate headmaster couldn't turn him from the evil ways he knew were coming was an original idea.

He had a bad plan like a good villan should and underestimated the hero which was in line with the status quo. His faithful minions were all slightly inept and at times a little slow on the uptake which was also correct evil lord lore.

He had a funky moniker and Lord Voldemort isn't any worse than Darth Vader after all. Plus the way he came up with his name was nifty. Except that he didn't allow his minions to call him by name and the populace was too scared to call him by name, so I am not sure why he bothered going through all of the trouble of coming up with it.

Flying, while not unique, was a cool side treat and his other magic - the horocruxes was a pretty cool idea. Of course the constant come backs was nothing original...Ganondorf too is still coming back after all these years...Voldemort should have spoken with him about immortality I guess.

The pet snake, again, not unique to have a companion animal one can control, but sharing a face with it was pretty unique - I don't remember another evil lord who was twins with his pet. I think Voldy mourned Bella more than Nagini though...

Which brings up a very interesting notion. Voldy was supposed to be unable to feel love or emotions associated with it (care, compassion, etc) and yet, when Bella died, his reaction was pretty indicative of something along those lines. "Voldy's fury at the fall of his last, best, lieutenant exploded with the force of a bomb" and then he sought revenge on her killer (Molly). What was driving his reaction? Hate? Well yeah, for Molly, but what was his reaction to Bella's death all about? I suppose he could have just been upset that he had run out of lieutenants, but fury over it? Something had to have driven that fury and it seems to me it wasn't the fact that he'd run short of good help - I mean if Molly the housewife could take her out, surely other minions had equivalent ability. I think we might have seen something in the love category in that reaction. Who would have imagined that one of the greatest love stories in the book may have been Voldy and Bella. She seemed quite taken with him. But if he could feel no love, then it must have merely been deprivation. Um...shortest lived love story in the book too because that idea is out.

All in all, Voldy had things in common with other dark lords which in the end proved to be much less intelligent than one originally believed. However, there are some pretty wise and slick dark lords in the fantasy series market and it would have been great for Voldy to have been among them.

Last edited by wickedwickedboy; September 15th, 2007 at 12:18 pm.
Old September 15th, 2007, 12:29 pm
Beauxbatons Champion

2) What do you think of Voldemort's takeover plan in DH? What do you believe his ultimate objectives were?

It was a very good plan - and would have definitely worked if Harry hadn't got in the way. However, his problem was that he didn't check for flaws, and underestimated Harry greatly.

5. How effective are Voldemort's methods for controlling his followers? How do his methods compare to those of other leaders in the Potterverse?

His main control is fear. He uses it to manipulate his followers to do his bidding, and it definitely works for him. Completely different from Dumbledore, who shows kindness and loyalty to get people to do what he wants.

6. Voldemort has committed murder, "the supreme act of evil" according to Horace Slughorn. But it seems that splitting one's soul ("an act of violation, it is against nature" according to Slughorn) multiple times is also supremely evil. How has the act of creating Horcruxes damaged and/or aided Voldemort?

It has not damaged his brain in any visable way, but he is much more arrogant because he believes he is immortal because of his Horcruxes. His soul however, is beyond repair. Maybe without his Horcruxes he would have been able to get out of his "Evilness" but they have maimed his soul.

7. What flaws do you think led to his downfall? Could he have avoided it?

He is annoyingly arrogant, to the point of frustration.

Writing Contest ~ CoS Graphics Contest ~ LoonyMagic's Icons ~ loonyabby_icons at LiveJournal
Old September 15th, 2007, 11:17 pm
Third Year

I never could understand or believe LV could be sooo contradictory to store soul pieces to obtain immortality?

Why? It's totally nonsensical to risk doing, since each piece is subject to annihilation of its soul piece. Sooo, why would Voldy want to eventually wind-up in the soul world as some flayed soul-scarred fragment? Even the Horcruxes wouldn't last long compared to a whole soul in eternity???

Is there something in his background that caused him to fear the hereafter? He obviously believed in the soul, since he used his soul pieces for earthly immortality. I know he was driven to insanity by this fear of death, but what was the driving force behind all this?

Can anyone point to the chapters or text or quote it, so we can understand this aspect of his character. It seems this would be at the very foundation of what made T.R. & L.V.

How do we explain and understand his fears of death and the hereafter? He knew both existed.

Luna blessings...

He closed Lily's green eyes and only felt the burning love of all... is well, their shining star.

Dumbledore . . . Personally, I've Never Had Much Time for Heroes

It's not your choices Severus, it's your hair . . . Not! so! A l b u s . . . It's your b e a r d.

SigPic Wizardry done by Kala-Way
Luna Blessings for You & Yours & Everyone!
Old September 15th, 2007, 11:51 pm
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwickedboy View Post
He had a funky moniker and Lord Voldemort isn't any worse than Darth Vader after all. Plus the way he came up with his name was nifty. Except that he didn't allow his minions to call him by name and the populace was too scared to call him by name, so I am not sure why he bothered going through all of the trouble of coming up with it.
Riddle's reasoning for the name, according to Diary Riddle, was:
CoS, page 314, U.S. edition "I fashioned myself a new name, a name I knew wizards everywhere would one day fear to speak, when I had become the greatest sorcerer in the world."

I don't understand it either, but he was young, arrogant with a huge ego. What I do find interesting about it, though, is that instead of choosing something entirely of his own creation, he used the letters of his full name, which of course included his Gaunt heritage and his hated muggle heritage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwickedboy
Which brings up a very interesting notion. Voldy was supposed to be unable to feel love or emotions associated with it (care, compassion, etc) and yet, when Bella died, his reaction was pretty indicative of something along those lines. "Voldy's fury at the fall of his last, best, lieutenant exploded with the force of a bomb" and then he sought revenge on her killer (Molly). What was driving his reaction? Hate? Well yeah, for Molly, but what was his reaction to Bella's death all about? I suppose he could have just been upset that he had run out of lieutenants, but fury over it? Something had to have driven that fury and it seems to me it wasn't the fact that he'd run short of good help - I mean if Molly the housewife could take her out, surely other minions had equivalent ability. I think we might have seen something in the love category in that reaction. Who would have imagined that one of the greatest love stories in the book may have been Voldy and Bella. She seemed quite taken with him. But if he could feel no love, then it must have merely been deprivation. Um...shortest lived love story in the book too because that idea is out.
Yep, I'm afraid it couldn't have been even affection, let alone love. I saw it as anger, equal to the Voldy we'd come to know throughout the books until DH. In DH we saw a more focused Voldemort, one obsessed with destroying Harry, and finding the Elder Wand -- two things he saw as ensuring his dominance over both the wizarding and muggle world. In that mode, he seemed different that the Voldy of old, but I think it's just an illusion to believe he had changed. When things were not going well after the return to Hogwarts, when more came to join the fight rather than surrender, we begin to see his volatile emotions once again. I think his reaction was simply anger. After all, this is an individual who, without any hesitance or feeling, announced "Anyone who continues to resist, man, woman or child, will be slaughtered, as will every member of their family." (DH, page 729, U.S.) . A scare tactic? Sure, in part. But I believe he would not hesitate to kill even children -- and I don't believe such a person is capable of affection or love in any capacity.

....I miss David Tennant....

Last edited by HedwigOwl; September 15th, 2007 at 11:53 pm. Reason: clarity
Old September 16th, 2007, 9:53 am
Lycanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedwigOwl View Post
Riddle's reasoning for the name, according to Diary Riddle, was:
CoS, page 314, U.S. edition "I fashioned myself a new name, a name I knew wizards everywhere would one day fear to speak, when I had become the greatest sorcerer in the world."

I don't understand it either, but he was young, arrogant with a huge ego. What I do find interesting about it, though, is that instead of choosing something entirely of his own creation, he used the letters of his full name, which of course included his Gaunt heritage and his hated muggle heritage.

Yep, I'm afraid it couldn't have been even affection, let alone love. I saw it as anger, equal to the Voldy we'd come to know throughout the books until DH. In DH we saw a more focused Voldemort, one obsessed with destroying Harry, and finding the Elder Wand -- two things he saw as ensuring his dominance over both the wizarding and muggle world. In that mode, he seemed different that the Voldy of old, but I think it's just an illusion to believe he had changed. When things were not going well after the return to Hogwarts, when more came to join the fight rather than surrender, we begin to see his volatile emotions once again. I think his reaction was simply anger. After all, this is an individual who, without any hesitance or feeling, announced "Anyone who continues to resist, man, woman or child, will be slaughtered, as will every member of their family." (DH, page 729, U.S.) . A scare tactic? Sure, in part. But I believe he would not hesitate to kill even children -- and I don't believe such a person is capable of affection or love in any capacity.
Good point, lol. I agree, it must have been rage. And man - he fashioned the name intending that no one use it! I hadn't remebered him actually declaring that (you are such a champ at remembering the canon Hedwig - I've noticed that in tons of threads ). Well Voldy was a little nuts to come up with a name merely to be feared...you'd think with all the trouble he went through, he'd at least want to hear it in his honor! Good point about it including his muggle heritage as well - he just gets more complex by the minute.

Last edited by wickedwickedboy; September 16th, 2007 at 10:12 am.
Old October 5th, 2007, 3:23 am
Secret Keeper

this is from a different post, about the physical change of Voldemort, but it has some stuff that ties into this, so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by leah49 View Post
Try having Draco describe Harry or Ginny or Hermione or Ron or...well, anyone in Gryffindor. Try having Snape describe Ginny and Hermione. It's not going to be the same as Harry.

If the book was written in Bellatrix's point of view there might be a chance that Voldemort gets described with beautiful looks.

Yes, the point of view is Jo's but you're underestimating her as a writer. If she's writing the story from one character's point of view, and she is, then she is going to use that character's bias in everything she writes.

My point is, yes, it does look like it is divided up with the good being pretty and the bad being ugly, but that it is due to the point of view.
I wonder what Bellatrix would describe him as... lol Either way, bias is mostly the reason why he is so ugly, but i felt it was because how he split his soul so many times. Most of the people here see Voldemort after, but remember that he used to be charming and handsome, I see it as a contrast of how inhuman he became. I wonder if he ever missed those looks or thought his new body looked gorgeous . I actually think my current avatar is pretty accurate sometimes. note to self, remember to make a Bellatrix/Voldemort avatar.

Anyways, straying away from the topic. you people are underestimating JK Rowling. She is not the kind of person to create a boring cliched fairytale. Well, I have to admit I didn't like the Epilogue, but everything else was good. Voldemort's looks are a symbol of how deep he went into dark magic. Actually, the biggest problem I have with Voldemort was that he appeared to be born evil. If she just had Voldemort and Harry wasn't there or lived a different life, I wouldn't mind as much, but Harry and Voldie seemed to live similar lives. They both grew up in places they didnt like, felt neglected most of their childhood, and finally get to hogwarts, which was like their true home. their mothers both appeared to die for them, even if Merope really died for his father, at first I'm sure it appeared otherwise. and yet, they grow up to be two completely different different people.

I have a reason to sort of like the change. Merope's dying wish was to have Voldemort to grow up to look like his father. Voldemort didn't like that, he hated his Muggle heritage and his father, a bit for abandoning him and his mother and also because he just had to look like him, something he loathed (Harry liked fitting in, Voldemort liked standing out).

Voldemort was obviously very full of himself. I wonder how much he liked or hated his new look compared to his old one. Maybe he enjoyed having his outside really stand out, and that he liked being almost inhuman, or maybe he was a bit more shallow and liked looking like a pretty boy or maybe he didn't really care. Voldemort doesn't really strike me as shallow, except maybe against Muggles and Muggleborns. However, I believe he didn't really hate Muggles and Muggleborns, they were merely ways to get more followers and they were just scapegoats.

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old October 5th, 2007, 4:31 am
Lycanthrope

I think Voldemort was planning to fix himself up more in the future after the war. He planned to live forever and he would have likely gotten to work on some magic to help return his youthful good looks. It was just that from GoF through DH, that was likely pretty far down on his list of priorities. If he had succeeded, he may have even gone on to start a family and such, lived a pretty normal life. But during the series, he had to concentrate on surviving, which meant figuring out how to kill DD and Harry.

Old October 5th, 2007, 4:12 pm
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwickedboy View Post
I think Voldemort was planning to fix himself up more in the future after the war. He planned to live forever and he would have likely gotten to work on some magic to help return his youthful good looks. It was just that from GoF through DH, that was likely pretty far down on his list of priorities. If he had succeeded, he may have even gone on to start a family and such, lived a pretty normal life. But during the series, he had to concentrate on surviving, which meant figuring out how to kill DD and Harry.
I suppose, but he may have also liked looking all evil... Personally, I thought teen riddle looked more evil, but thats just me

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old October 5th, 2007, 6:42 pm
Second Year

To be honest, I think Voldemort's ultimate aim was to build a "better world". He says so himself and I think he truly believed it in his heart. He saw himself as a visionary, as the Messiah of the wizarding world. Nobody does evil for the sake of evil and Tom was no different. The problem was that is personality was so warped that he just needed someone or something to hate at all times. What if he won? What if every race he hated was disposed of? He would just look for another scapegoat. His intentions, not morally correct to begin with, were impotent because of his belief in his own superiority. He always felt inferior, even when he had the Elder Wand he doubted himself. He killed and killed and killed but it made no difference did it? He desired to live forever and by making his Horcruxes he ensured that. But he couldn't enjoy it, all who find their hearts desire also find despair.

Old October 6th, 2007, 6:22 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voldemorts8thHorcrux View Post
I suppose, but he may have also liked looking all evil... Personally, I thought teen riddle looked more evil, but thats just me
I feel the same way! Teen Riddle, despite his handsome mien, gives me the creeps more than Snakemort.

Maybe it's because we're conditioned to associate good looks with positive characteristics, yet we know for a fact from hindsight that Teen-Tom is a nasty piece of work and will only get nastier. That dichotomy is scary on a visceral level--we can't trust our own eyes.

The older, snake-like VM looks exactly like what he is, so what you see is what you get. It's a better fit. It's no surprise. In a strange way, it's not as frightening.

But that's just me. I'm sure little kids are far more alarmed by the elder VM than by his younger self.

Old October 6th, 2007, 7:33 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutmegNevis View Post
I feel the same way! Teen Riddle, despite his handsome mien, gives me the creeps more than Snakemort.

Maybe it's because we're conditioned to associate good looks with positive characteristics, yet we know for a fact from hindsight that Teen-Tom is a nasty piece of work and will only get nastier. That dichotomy is scary on a visceral level--we can't trust our own eyes.

The older, snake-like VM looks exactly like what he is, so what you see is what you get. It's a better fit. It's no surprise. In a strange way, it's not as frightening.

But that's just me. I'm sure little kids are far more alarmed by the elder VM than by his younger self.
I too thought teen-Tom was much better at "being" evil rather than merely "looking" evil. I'm sure a lot of people liked Ralph Fiennes performance as Voldemort but it came across too melodramatic to be realistic for me. More like a caricature than something actually dangerous. Teen-Tom, whoever played him, seemed much more real and therefore much more effective as something to be truly afraid of.

I'm a Ravenclaw!
Brains count first for you. Making judgements without intellectual justification is prejudice and ignorance.

10", Willow, Veela
Willow: you care deeply about emotions, art, and intuition, and have a knack for charms. Veela hair: slightly unpredictable but very powerful.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies