Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Non-Fiction

Science Books

Old September 2nd, 2008, 9:39 pm
Secret Keeper

Science Books

Does anyone read science books? I don't anymore except for school projects because I can usually find stuff online, but I remember I used to love stuff like the Eyewittness books and stuff like that. Any thoughts?

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Sponsored Links
Old September 15th, 2008, 2:03 am
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeé & Scrambled Eggs

Re: Science Books

Yea when I was in school... they're pretty interesting .

Found a mistake in one once -- they messed up the formula for water .

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Old September 15th, 2008, 3:08 am
I want to believe

Yes, I have a large book called "Universe", which was a Christmas gift. It's a very neat book centering on astronomy (which is an interest of mine), with lots of pictures and cool stuff. The book is now slightly outdated, since it lists Pluto as one of the nine planets rather than a "minor planet" or whatever they're calling it these days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkesfan1 View Post
they messed up the formula for water
Wow, that's pretty hard to mess up!

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old September 15th, 2008, 9:55 pm
Secret Keeper

I knew the formula for water since like second grade . Not because I was freakishly smart or nerdy (well, i loved science, just not chemistry or physics ), but because i watched an episode of arthur that mentioned it .

I used to read astronomy books all the time. But like any normalish little kid, I only read the ones with the colorful pictures in them . I loved looking at the pictures just as much as reading the information .

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old September 19th, 2008, 2:55 pm
Malum Veneficus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voldemorts8thHorcrux View Post
I knew the formula for water since like second grade . Not because I was freakishly smart or nerdy (well, i loved science, just not chemistry or physics ), but because i watched an episode of arthur that mentioned it .

I used to read astronomy books all the time. But like any normalish little kid, I only read the ones with the colorful pictures in them . I loved looking at the pictures just as much as reading the information .
Yeah I used to do the same when I was about 12.
My parents have a large bookcase with 24-volumes encyclopedia, Physics and Chemistry books, I really enjoy them but I forget always what I read minutes later. What I'm really interested in was a book with the title 'The Living Animals of the World' it's full of animals, birds and fish pictures (I abandoned the book when I saw a picture of a lizard sticking out it's tongue to eat a fly )

Thanks to my secret sigswitch maker, for the wonderful avatar and signature!

Sig/avatar pictures by Cassandra Austen.
Old September 19th, 2008, 3:40 pm
I want to believe

I've also got a book called "Death by Black Hole" by Neil DeGrasse Tyson, and one called "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking. I haven't yet read the former, but I did finish the latter, which I found quite interesting. I really admire Stephen Hawking - the man's a genius.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old September 19th, 2008, 10:21 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeé & Scrambled Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemusLupinFan View Post
Yes, I have a large book called "Universe", which was a Christmas gift. It's a very neat book centering on astronomy (which is an interest of mine), with lots of pictures and cool stuff. The book is now slightly outdated, since it lists Pluto as one of the nine planets rather than a "minor planet" or whatever they're calling it these days. Wow, that's pretty hard to mess up!
Yea I know -- I was really surprised to see that they messed that up. It's really amazing to see what kind of errors slip into text books . You never know what they'll get wrong and that kind of thing.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Old September 24th, 2008, 10:01 am
Second Year

Quote:
I've also got a book called "Death by Black Hole" by Neil DeGrasse Tyson, and one called "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking. I haven't yet read the former, but I did finish the latter, which I found quite interesting. I really admire Stephen Hawking - the man's a genius.
I'd quite like to read 'A Brief History of Time' myself. Might have to put that on my Christmas list!
I've read 'A Short History of Nearly Everything' by Bill Bryson, which takes in a whole load of science. In it he talks about the creation of the universe, the laws of physics, evolution, amongst other things. It is really accessible, much like everything else he has written! I've just started 'The Ancestor's Tale' by Richard Dawkins which is all about evolution. A bit more heavy going than 'A Short History of Nearly Everything', but interesting none the less.

Old September 24th, 2008, 10:06 pm
Fifth Year

I don't read science books that often; but like the OP, I did sometimes read those Eyewitness books. Also, when I was younger, I used to like astronomy, but I got the books more for the pretty pictures as well like an earlier poster.

A PROUD RAVENCLAW
Old January 1st, 2009, 1:31 am
Second Year

I have two Eyewittness book checked out from the Library, One is dog and one is fossil.I read lots of dog non-fiction and fiction, I like fiction better than non-fiction though. But for a dog book I'd rather non-fiction.

Poor iphone...

"Feel the fear and do it anyway because even though it's not too late now, someday it will be."
Old January 13th, 2009, 5:31 pm
Qvack...

I never knew this thread was here... I'd evidently make a very poor scientist.

My favourite science book is Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything. It's a whirlwind story of how we came to be, what we are, what the world is, and his descriptions never go into obtuseness or difficulty. He just tells it like it is. And the stories of the people behind the various discoveries in the Scientific world are among the funniest I've ever read. I've never quite seen science put that way- the book is a definite must for anyone with indelible curiosity!

THE DUCK.

Old January 16th, 2009, 8:58 am
Too MAGENTA for a UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampiricduck View Post
I never knew this thread was here... I'd evidently make a very poor scientist.

My favourite science book is Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything. It's a whirlwind story of how we came to be, what we are, what the world is, and his descriptions never go into obtuseness or difficulty. He just tells it like it is. And the stories of the people behind the various discoveries in the Scientific world are among the funniest I've ever read. I've never quite seen science put that way- the book is a definite must for anyone with indelible curiosity!
I love this book! He's even got A Really Short History of Nearly Everything for little kids

the tiniest mite packs the mightiest sting.

Old March 11th, 2009, 12:51 am
Second Year

I think you can learn a LOT from books of any kind. Some times even fiction. But you do learn a lot more from non-fiction.

Poor iphone...

"Feel the fear and do it anyway because even though it's not too late now, someday it will be."
Old June 23rd, 2009, 1:49 pm
Too MAGENTA for a UT

I'm working my way through Richard Dawkins' books at the moment.

Old August 8th, 2009, 11:02 am
Second Year

I like biology books very much and I am very much into Human Anatomy....Though I don't have specific books,I learn from internet...

"I like a quiet life, you know me."
Old August 30th, 2009, 3:14 am
Second Year

I have a collection of the Eyewitness Books that I read to my oldest son. So far we have been through Prehistoric Times, Submarines, Shipwrecks, Space Exploration, and we are reading Flying Machines right now.

We also read any and every book at the library (in the children's section) about submarines, warships, and the LCAC military hovercraft. Titanic has been a topic he has been interested in as well.

We got this book awhile ago that he really liked, that was about everyday science around your house, and how different things (plumbing, lighting, heating/air, etc) functioned, and he thought that was pretty awesome.

He is 6 so for right now these are holding his interest, probably in a couple years though he will be onto other things- which is fine with me, I don't mind learning new things.

Old September 2nd, 2009, 10:03 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Yes, I have a large book called "Universe", which was a Christmas gift. It's a very neat book centering on astronomy (which is an interest of mine), with lots of pictures and cool stuff. The book is now slightly outdated, since it lists Pluto as one of the nine planets rather than a "minor planet" or whatever they're calling it these days.
Ooh, I think I have that although it may be a more updated version (?)
For science I kinda prefer magazines or the internet but I have a weakness for the occasional old dusty book. My all time favourite, although not dusty, would probably be Mr Tompkins in Paperback by George Gamow it's fun to read his assurances that Elementary particles such as protons will, this time, remain elementary

Old October 6th, 2009, 7:13 am
Too MAGENTA for a UT

I picked up a copy of The Rise and Fall of The Third Chimpanzee the other day. It's a few years old now but very interesting nonetheless.

Old October 14th, 2009, 3:36 am
Second Year

Quote:
I am going to check that one out.

I personally am a huge astronomy fan. I just recently decided to persue a degree/career in astronomy. In terms of books though, I have a few that include biographies on famous scientists and also a few books on constellations and general info on the universe.

~~ Proud Member of Slytherin House ~~

Billy Clanton: It's the drunk piano player. You're so drunk, you can't hit nothin'. In fact, you're probably seeing double. [Billy Clanton draws a knife]
Doc Holliday: [takes out a second gun] I have two guns, one for each of ya'
-Tombstone
Old November 17th, 2009, 6:11 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:

My favourite science book is Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything.
That's a great book! My favourite non fiction one. Really interesting, and that's coming from someone who detests anything remotely scientific

The only other thing I read that could be considered sceintific in any way would be true crime books. The ones I read are more a mixture of psychology (behavioural/social science) and history, but more than mere minibiographies. I'm reading one at the moment called "The Cult Files" by Chris Mikul which goes into some of the better known cults in our history but has a big focus on the psychology behind them, which is what I find particularly interesting. It's an interesting read for anybody with a curiosity in the subject.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Non-Fiction