Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction

Your Favorite Literary Characters (Other than HP)

Old May 20th, 2010, 7:55 pm
Fifth Year

Re: Your Favorite Literary Characters (Other than HP)

Atticus Finch
Holden Caulfield - Catcher in the Rye
All of the characters in Catch-22 - Catch-22
Mia Thermopolis - the Princess Diaries
Gandalf, various dwarves, elves, hobbits...okay, most of the characters - the Hobbit/Lord of the Rings
Elizabeth Bennett - Pride & Prejudice
Georgia Nicolson - Confessions of Georgia Nicolson

Old May 21st, 2010, 3:48 am
Hiding under Johnny's bed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melaszka View Post
I saw him first!

Old May 21st, 2010, 10:17 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by merry18 View Post
Mia Thermopolis - the Princess Diaries
I love her as well. She basically formed my pre-teen years.

Old May 25th, 2010, 3:55 pm
Malum Veneficus

Quote:
Originally Posted by merry18
Gandalf, various dwarves, elves, hobbits...okay, most of the characters - the Hobbit/Lord of the Rings
I know what you mean! . All the characters are so well-written and likable. My favourite character in The Hobbit is easily Thorin. In LoTR, my favourite character is: Aragorn. Many others follow, including: Legolas, Gimli, Pippin and Lady Eowyn.

I've been reading the Dresden Files lately, and unlike LotR there is something annoying about each character. I can't really decide who's my favourite one, but so far I've been fond of Johnny Macrone.

Thanks to my secret sigswitch maker, for the wonderful avatar and signature!

Sig/avatar pictures by Cassandra Austen.
Old May 26th, 2010, 3:32 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellatrix93 View Post
I've been reading the Dresden Files lately, and unlike LotR there is something annoying about each character. I can't really decide who's my favourite one, but so far I've been fond of Johnny Macrone.
What do you find annoying about the characters in Dresden? I haven't noticed anything about them that annoys me . . .

Old May 26th, 2010, 9:12 am
Malum Veneficus

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelantzer
What do you find annoying about the characters in Dresden? I haven't noticed anything about them that annoys me . . .
Maybe it's just me, but let's say for instance Murphy, she certainly has an admirable character, but I found it really weird to see her arrest and shoot her friend. Arrest him when he was trying to save her life. . Under such circumstances, it was understandable for her to suspect him, but at least she should've given him the chance to explain himself.

Also I didn't find any of the villains convincing. . Certainly not the Summer lady nor the Fallen Demons, or whatever they were called. They may have been clever in carrying out their plans, but personally I didn't find the motives behinds their actions, convincing.

But again, this is just me.

Old May 27th, 2010, 1:56 am

Quote:
Maybe it's just me, but let's say for instance Murphy, she certainly has an admirable character, but I found it really weird to see her arrest and shoot her friend. Arrest him when he was trying to save her life. . Under such circumstances, it was understandable for her to suspect him, but at least she should've given him the chance to explain himself.
I agree with that. I was surprised by that when I read it.
Quote:
Also I didn't find any of the villains convincing. . Certainly not the Summer lady
Yeah, I didn't really get her motive. But I guess I just don't analyze this series at all because none of these things bothered me. I overanalyze other books, but these are just entertainment for me. I pretty much just accept whatever happens and keep zipping along.

Old June 1st, 2010, 8:00 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoana View Post
From "international" books my favourite characters are the Moomins and their friends from the Moomin series of books by Tove Jansson They're adorable and fun and tenderly remind me of childhood stuff.

I also love Lizzy Bennet (naturally);

(inexplicably, I always disliked Tom Sawyer)

Satan in The Master And Margarita
The same, the same! Although, reading M&M I liked also Behemoth the cat... (because I love all kind of cats, especially the magical ones)

Jean Valjean and Gavroche - The Miserables

Thursday Next - by Fforde

Almost everyone from LotR. (Well, maybe not Saruman).

Recently - Samuel Vimes and company from Pratchett's Discworld saga (including Nobby Nobbs and Vetinari, lol)

Can't think of anybody more, just now...

There is nothing wrong in being ambitious.
Old June 5th, 2010, 9:24 am
Second Year

Galadriel from Lord of the Rings

For some reason I always thought the character of Galadriel was fantastic, largely due the years of wisdom coupled with her brilliant insight into the minds of others. When they came to making the films, I was overjoyed that Cate Blanchett, one of my favourite actresses, was playing her

The greatest act can be one little vicotry
Old June 26th, 2010, 2:28 pm
Malum Veneficus

^Galadriel is fantastic .

Mansfield Park: Fanny Price! While she can't really stand up for herself, she holds tightly onto what she believes in and desires.

Old June 26th, 2010, 10:33 pm
MODLY CREW

Aziraphale and Crowley in Good Omens are two of my favourite literary characters. They complete each other and offer such nice commentary on the preconceptions of good and evil.

I also adore Ralph in The Charioteer. A character with principles and an inner strength which almost breaks him.

And I've always liked Maharet and Gabrielle in Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles.

I need to think about this some more. There are loads of great literary characters in my head I just need to remember.

Old June 29th, 2010, 11:49 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeť & Scrambled Eggs

Harry Dresden -- The Dresden Files -- Just love him to death ! Even when he's making a fool of himself, it never gets old . And the writing is good, crisp and funny (for the most part).

Odd Thomas -- The Odd Thomas Series -- Funny in a similar vein to HP and The Dresden Files... with a hint of sadness within. Very well done indeed .

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Old August 24th, 2010, 6:26 pm
Second Year

Atticus Finch, 'To Kill a Mockingbird': He's got so much integrity and is just a good person through and through. He knows Tom Robinson doesn't stand a chance at his trial but he defends him regardless because it's the right thing to do. He stands up to the igorance in his community and is just a completely admirable character.

Noah Calhoun, 'The Notebook' He's just a lovely country boy. Enough said.

Georgia Nicolson, Georgia Nicolson Diaries series. Hilarious!

"if you attempt to - er - 'bring me in by force', I will have to hurt you" - Albus Dumbledore.

"We could have all been killed - or worse, expelled." - Hermione Granger.

"Just because you have the emotional range of a teaspoon doesn't mean we all have." - Hermione Granger

"Every child in our world will know his name!" - Minerva McGonagall

Proud RAVENCLAW.
Old August 31st, 2010, 4:32 pm
First Year

My Favorite Characters are:

Edward Cullen from the Twilight Saga-hello!?! he's the perfect guy...he's so old-fashioned about things, it's really adorable.

Emmett Cullen from the Twilight Saga-most people forget about him because Edward takes center stage, but personally I love him. He's my fav Cullen. He's hilarious and loyal and willing to die to protect his family.

Marty Davis from the Love Comes Softly series-In the beginning of the first book she's so heartbroken and bitter about the loss of her first husband she can't see what's right in front of her face. As times wears on she finds God and comes to love Clark Davis, the man she married out of convienence. She learns that everything happened the way it did for a reason and becomes the matriarch of a wonderful God-fearing family. Her growth in faith throughout the first book is very moving. This series really portrays the way God works in our lives, God may take something dear to us away, but it's not out of meaness it's to open our hands to recieve something better.

Spencer Hastings from the Pretty Little Liars series- I don't really know why but I just love her.

In dreams, we enter a world that's entirely our own.~Albus Dumbledore

Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.~Albus Dumbledore
Old September 16th, 2010, 6:39 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC2456 View Post
George Kirrin .

Bella (nee Swan) and Edward Cullen- Now I know why everyone is raving about Twilight! Omigosh-if only, I had picked the book up earlier. Bella and Edward are SO romantic. Yay, Twilight!
Egads, did I actually write that? Oh god, I was a twi fan two years ago! THE HORROR! *takes a huge hammer and knocks the head of my 15-year-old self.

Gryffindor

UnicornSeeker8718 (Pottermore)
Old September 16th, 2010, 7:25 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Old March 8th, 2011, 2:41 pm
Malum Veneficus

From The Hunger Games, I loved Haymitch, Prim and Peeta. I didn't like Haymitch in the first book at all, but in the second and third I liked what we found out about him, his history with the Games and the Capitol, and the fact that there's much more to him than being drunk, . Prim and Peeta because they're both so human and that's rather difficult to come by in this series, . They are not the only ones of course, but rather the main ones, imo. While there are so many wonderful characters in this book, there are others who are extremely annoying; I find Collins' characters quite intriguing, because you have to feel strongly about them, either love them or hate them.

Old March 8th, 2011, 6:52 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkesfan1 View Post
Odd Thomas -- The Odd Thomas Series -- Funny in a similar vein to HP and The Dresden Files... with a hint of sadness within. Very well done indeed .
I'm reading the first book now. Weird...

My favorite is probably Scarlett O'Hara. A girl quite ahead of her time...strong, willfull, selfish, and plenty of other adjectives that aren't very favorable. Despite her horrible qualities, I can't help but still admire her. I still don't know if she deserved what happened to her at the end or not. I suppose she did after acting like a jerk for all those years, but I still feel sorry for her.

"I saw this dude, he was wearing a leather jacket, and at the same time he was eating a hamburger and drinking a glass of milk. I said to him 'Dude, you're a cow. The metamorphosis is complete. Don't fall asleep or I'll tip you over.'" -Mitch Hedberg
Old March 13th, 2011, 4:55 pm
Third Year

The Blue Man from The Five People You Meet in Heaven. I find so much depth to his character and to what he gives to Eddie.

Jean Valjean and Fantine from Les Miserables. I first fell in love with the musical and these are the only two characters to make me cry! They both have stories of strength, which are both inspiring and heartfelt.

Anna from My Sister's Keeper. Her position and her actions are something I could never imagine, and while I don't agree with her decision to sue her parents and whatnot, she portrays this confidence and comfortableness that I wish I could have.

August from The Secret Life of Bees. This was actually a book I had to read for school and it has become one of my favorites. I always thought of her role as more than a mother figure to Lily, almost a "Virgin Mother" if you know what I mean. (She's the "Black Mary" on the honey jar, if you will!)

Atticus Finch from To Kill a Mockingbird. Self explanatory, I think! What a character.

Henry and Clare from The Time Traveler's Wife. I'm a sucker for romance novels and this is the king of them all (well, after The Notebook!) They truly embody love and hope and faith in so many ways. It's refreshing, really.

Hester Prynne from The Scarlett Letter. I admire her courage and strength. She's tough and comes across as a true heroine.

And lastly, Eliza Doolittle from Pygmalion. I discovered the character from My Fair Lady and she's just a fun character! It helps that I've portrayed her on stage (My Fair Lady) and got to see that she's more than just a whiny, resistant character.

Hufflepuff Pride
Old March 14th, 2011, 4:55 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvDarkMarks View Post
Atticus Finch from To Kill a Mockingbird. Self explanatory, I think! What a character.
I love Atticus. I only read the book recently, but Atticus is sooo cool. I like him so much that if I ever have a son I would name him Atticus. Even though that would seem a bit odd in Holland.

"I would rather have a prostate exam on live television by a guy with very cold hands than have a Facebook page."

- George Clooney, on his aversion to the social networking site.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction