Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Comic Books & Graphic Novels

Asterix and Obelix

Old December 10th, 2007, 12:02 am
Fifth Year

Asterix and Obelix

Has anyone read these awesome comic books from France?

I just looove all the quirky characters in it, and how their names relate to them somehow. Also, all the references to modern culture are just awesome. My favorite one is probably the one where they go to Britain and meet Asterix's cousin. It's so funny!

Sponsored Links
Old December 10th, 2007, 7:59 am
First Year

Re: Asterix and Obelix

I've read them as a child, and they were a GREAT way to learn about European history. My favourite was where the druid gets hit by one of Obelix's rocks and looses his mind.
It's a shame that the most recent issues are very very bad (imo).

Johnny Depp
is...

Harry Potter

Old December 10th, 2007, 10:39 am
Sixth Year

Read them? I grew up with them (and Tintin)! I used to think them just funny, but the older I get, the more I like them. When you realize how subtle their humour is and the way they play with stereotypes you can't but like them more and more.

My favourites:

Astérix in Britain: the explanation of how the Romans conquered the island, attacking at tea time is among the best of their gags. And the rest of the book keeps the level.

Astérix in Spain: I'm Spanish myself; it's so funny check how other people see us. And I love Pepe!

Astérix and Cleopatra: genius from the cover to the last page.

Astérix in Switzerland: cu-cú

Astérix the Legionary: Tragicómix? With T, like Timeo Danaos et dona ferentis?

Quote:
Posted by Dobbylikesme:
It's a shame that the most recent issues are very very bad (imo).
Yes, it's true. Since Goscinny died, they're not the same. Uderzo isn't a writer. The last one (Astérix and the Falling Sky) was really disappointing. However, the one before, Astérix and the Class Act, a compilation of short stories, is great.

Old December 10th, 2007, 3:03 pm
Embroidered by imaginatio

Quote:
Originally Posted by MmeBergerac View Post

Astérix and Cleopatra: genius from the cover to the last page.

Astérix in Switzerland: cu-cú
Those are two of my favorites. I love the cheese fondue punishment in the latter. It has become quite an tradition to refer to that Asterix and Obelix volume when having a fondue. Although we don't actually whip people or throw them into the lake with a rock tied to their feet...

I grew up with them too, I haven't read any beyond the Secret Weapon though.

"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."

Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer
Old December 13th, 2007, 1:50 am
Hogwarts Graduate

My husband is abig fan,i read a couple and really liked them.they are great...

the days may go , the years pass, but Potter will always be in my heart.
Pottermore: Wingdawn148
Wand: sycamore core: Phoenix
surprisingly swishy
Old December 15th, 2007, 12:29 pm
Fourth Year

I've read most of them in the past, altough it's been a long time and I have forgotten many things.
My favourite one is Asterix and Cleopatra.

My Dark Lord? Sorry I disturb you,
but Muggles have started catching up with us...

My Harry Potter fanart
My deviantart page
Old June 12th, 2008, 10:12 am
Third Year

Astérix? It's my childhood, my mother was a great fan (a great bookworm too, books everywhere at home) and she introduced me when I started to read. I still love this series because I finally understand things I didn't catch when I was a kid. Humour is very subtle, and I agree with people who say that the last ones are not so good.
My favorites are Astérix in Switzerland (I offered it to my husband when he left the country to work in Switzerland where I live now), Astérix the legionary, and many others: asterix and the banquet, Asterix in Britain, and the Normans, and the Chiefstain's shield.

Old June 12th, 2008, 12:11 pm
First Year

I grew up with Astérix and with Tintin...it's true that their are jokes you can only understand as an adult, but when you read it as a child it's funny too, the names of the characters and the way Obélix is always cheating to get a drink of the magic potion...
I don't have any favourite though, when I feel like reading an Astérix I just pick one randomly and I think this is what's good about it, you can just pick one up and read it without having to read the whole series, it's just kinda like going back to childhood...

Old June 15th, 2008, 1:19 pm
Fifth Year

I love Asterix and Obelix. My brother owns every book so I've read them all. When I lived in Germany I discovered that the German names are quite different from the English names- which is understandable since they have to make sense in each language, For example, in English the bard is called Cacofonix (coming from the word cacophonic) but in German he's called Troubadix (which IMO isn't particularly funny). The original French Assurancetourix (comprehensive insurance) is just plain strange They have a list of different character's names in different languages here.

The limits of the possible can only be defined by going beyond them into the impossible.

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not. In either case the idea is quite staggering.

There is hopeful symbolism in the fact that flags do not wave in a vacuum.

Arthur C. Clarke (1917–2008)
Old June 19th, 2008, 6:44 am
Fifth Year

That's so interesting! In Spanish, the French names are usually just written phonetically. That's why I never understood some of the jokes.

Old June 19th, 2008, 8:13 am
Sixth Year

Well, Asuranceturix is written phonetically (though I've found some old editions in which he's called Seguroatodorriesguix), but Edadepiedrix, for instance, or Tragicomix (with T, like Timeo danaos et dona ferentis ), are translataed. Anyway, perhaps we should take it as an encouragement to learn French

Old July 8th, 2008, 6:22 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I loved these so much as a child! The illustrations were great, the puns were brilliant (I only got their full brilliance when I grew older), and they're absolutely wonderful. Goscinny and Underzo were great, but credit must also go to Anthea Bell and Derek Hockridge, the English translators of the books, for doing such a brilliant job of making everything almost (or nearly) as funny in English as it is in French (though it's funnier in French). Comics like these are rare, they're not just for little kids- sadly, the recently released books are just not the same.
My favourites were Asterix In Britain, Asterix and Son, and Asterix In Spain (the one with the little boy Pepe, Ithink?). I was even given a copy of the first book, Asterix The Gaul, for my seventh birthday- sadly my mum gave it away years ago.

Old July 8th, 2008, 6:49 pm
First Year

I've just took a look at the names and the druid's name is much more fun in English -Getafix- than in French -Panoramix. I've never really wondered what it meant as a child, but now I know what it means, I don't really see what's funny in it. That's what fun with Astérix: I may get what Panoramix means when I'm 80 or so, you can understand things at all age !

That's funny cause sometimes the names are just basically the same (Fulliautomatix for Cétautomatic) and sometimes there's no common thing between the two (or maybe it's just that I don't get the resemblance).

Astérix et Obélix has been "put into today's fashion" lately in movies:
Astérix Contre César,
Astérix et Obélix: Mission Cléopâtre,
Astérix aux Jeux Olympiques.

The funnier of the 3 was Mission Cléopâtre, with a lot of puns. Snoop Dogg made the theme song along with Jamel Debbouze, who played Numérobis (Edifis).

Old September 11th, 2008, 10:59 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Yes, I'll always think of the druid as Getafix and not Panoramix, too .
It's impossible to choose just one favourite among the lot, but I think Asterix in Britain was a class act- the French take on the British kills me every time I read it.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Comic Books & Graphic Novels