Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak

Are we too old for Harry Potter?

Old February 21st, 2008, 9:52 pm
First Year

Re: Are we too old for Harry Potter?

Too old? No, I don't think anyone is too old for Harry Potter. I syill watch some cartoons, and I really engoy then even they are made for children under 12 years old.... But who cares? If I like cartoon, I'll watch them... I never wanna be an adult if it means that cartoons and harry potter are banned!

I’m not a star in your flag
But I’m expected to stand
For the blood thirsty cause of your forces
I cannot stay outside
There is no middle ground
No one can prevent things from changing
Sponsored Links
Old February 21st, 2008, 10:17 pm
Second Year

Absolutely not. I am 42, and have been reading the Harry Potter books for 7 or 8 years. I picked up the first one skeptically, about the time Goblet of Fire was published, on the recommendation of a friend, and I was almost immediately hooked.

The question calls to mind a similar issue regarding "The Hobbit" by J.R.R. Tolkien, which is also considered a "children's book" by some.

The following quote was in a review of The Hobbit (in the early 1930s when the Hobbit was first published) by C.S. Lewis, a close friend of Tolkien's and also the author of the Narnia series.

Quote:
“It must be understood that this is a children's book only in the sense that the first of many readings can be undertaken in the nursery. Alice is read gravely by children and with laughter by grown-ups; The Hobbit, on the other hand, will be funniest to its youngest readers, and only years later, at a tenth or twentieth reading, will they begin to realize what deft scholarship and profound reflection have gone to make everything in it so ripe, so friendly, and in its own way so true. Prediction is dangerous: but The Hobbit may well prove a classic.”
I think the exact same thing can be said about the Harry Potter books. My opinion is that the books will endure and be classics. I think Rowling touched a chord within us which will continue to resonate, with kids, teenagers and adults alike.

I personally was surprised at how the Harry Potter books sucked me in, and how much I came to care about the characters, to be intrigued by the mysteries and puzzles, and to contemplate the big themes in the books - love, choice, death, and the nature of evil in the world.

So, uh, the answer to your question is: No, we're not too old.

Tolkien exploded: "What has it got to do with the story? Where is this place? Why emus? And what is the thing in the foreground with the pink bulbs?" When the reply came that the artist hadn't had time to read the book, and that the object with the pink bulbs was "meant to suggest a Christmas tree,' Tolkien could only answer: "I begin to feel that I am shut up in a madhouse."
Old February 21st, 2008, 10:21 pm
Winning Teamster

No way! I discovered the books when I was about 30 (give or take a year). I am not sure whether I would have persevered if they had ALL been in the same style as PS. Don't get me wrong, I like PS as it is and wouldn't have it in any other way - it is fun to watch the kids grow up. But I think what makes the series one for ALL ages is the fact that it does grow so much darker, and that it adddresses issues that are relevant to all of us. I am a political junkie and nevertheless the HP series made me think quite hard about various issues in this respect.

Of course, the main thing is still that it is an amazing story with brilliant characters.... Aged 35 I couldn't say I have a crush on anyone in the series (no, not even Snape .... OK. perhaps Sirius ) but there are plenty of people I like to ' be with' for some time - not least of course Harry himself.

haiku by Silwe Elessan

Proud to be in Ravenclaw
I served on the campaign which got Hermione and Neville elected as co-ministers of Magic
Old February 22nd, 2008, 2:23 am
Fourth Year

I'm 24 and despite the "Kid's books" tag that th series gets it's a lot more mature than that. It's something that can stretch a younger reader and reach an older one. To say that a person is too old is a bit much, though you have to take the good with the bad if you dress up.

"Patrick where are you going?"
"I have to return some video tapes."

"An Apple is not a Banana. This must be stated!" -Me
Old March 5th, 2008, 2:05 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klio View Post
...I couldn't say I have a crush on anyone in the series (.... OK. perhaps Sirius )
Heh heh.

Too true. From childhood until now, I have always had an immense crush on ol' Sirius Black.

I was only mildly disappointed that he wasn't portrayed by someone slightly more attractive in the films...

Anywho...I don't think I could consider myself ever too old for the HP series. It's kept my interest for eight years now (11-19), and if it can survive the transition from childhood to adulthood, I don't think there's much more that can break down my undying love.

He suspected she was an endangered species: brazen, beautiful, and blissfully unaware of her power...
Old March 5th, 2008, 3:04 am
First Year

Minervalin
Too old? I think not....While I first read this with my children and still read it with children, there are so many layers to these books that children don't understand. The mythology connections, the connections to politics, to world events.... how could children possibly understand. Jo is such a wonderful weaver of tales.
Too old to enjoy a good tale.....I think not.

Old March 5th, 2008, 8:20 am
Winning Teamster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveOfSirius View Post
Heh heh.

Too true. From childhood until now, I have always had an immense crush on ol' Sirius Black.

I was only mildly disappointed that he wasn't portrayed by someone slightly more attractive in the films...

WHAT?!!!!!

The film version of Sirius and Gary Oldman probably tipped the balance for me, if anything did.

Ah well.... I am pretty sure that this is an age thing. When I was 18 I wouldn't have found Gary Oldman (at his current age) very attractive, either..... Please don't take this the wrong way.... perhaps our tastes really are simply different, and that's perfectly fine. But I have certainly seen my taste in actors change considerably since I was 18...

Funny how the films were perfectly good at catering to an audience well beyond the original 'target audience' age.... But of course, you don't manage to create such a huge franchise unless you draw in a wide demographic. In this case, of clourse - JKR already brought them a large number of fans spanning several decades.

haiku by Silwe Elessan

Proud to be in Ravenclaw
I served on the campaign which got Hermione and Neville elected as co-ministers of Magic
Old March 5th, 2008, 1:06 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
The film version of Sirius and Gary Oldman probably tipped the balance for me, if anything did.
You and me both, Klio.

And I don't even swoon for Oldman, usually! :

I just loved his performance as Sirius in the OotP film (and PoA). It may not be perfect canon - Sirius is more bitter and unhappy in the books, poor guy - but it was good adaptation and it made me think again, much more, about the father/son relationship between Sirius and Harry. It made me go back again to the books and analyse this relationship, and Sirius' character in general.

As I have said before, Oldman's Sirius is the HP films' equivalent of Boromir.

And no, I am not too old for HP!

I love the dark, edgy nature of the series, and its Gothic drama.

Old March 5th, 2008, 3:26 pm
First Year

Quote:
WHAT?!!!!!

Ah well.... I am pretty sure that this is an age thing. When I was 18 I wouldn't have found Gary Oldman (at his current age) very attractive, either..... Please don't take this the wrong way.... perhaps our tastes really are simply different, and that's perfectly fine. But I have certainly seen my taste in actors change considerably since I was 18...
*bows*

I'm sorry, perhaps I should clarify. Gary Oldman is indeed attractive, but not in the same way that I had pictured Sirius. I suppose that is what disappointed me, more than anything.

Basically I took all of the book illustrations to heart: the long, sweeping black hair, the handsome, young face.

As mentioned before, Gary Oldman is an attractive Sirius--just not the Sirius I had pictured.

He suspected she was an endangered species: brazen, beautiful, and blissfully unaware of her power...
Old March 5th, 2008, 3:48 pm
First Year

Well I am 21 years old, going on 22 in May, and I am a male. So I get weird looks a lot when people hear that I am a huge Harry Potter fan. But the facts are, I know even older Harry Potter fans are out there, and I don't think the books are aimed at Children, at least not the last couple. So ... I say the heck with them. I love Harry Potter and am not going to stop reading them or learning as much as I can, or talking on a community just because well.. someone thinks I'm too old.

So yea, it happens, but I don't let it bother me in the lightest.

And I say congrats to anyone else who stands up for what they enjoy who is older or younger then me.

"Severus Snape wasn't yours," said Harry.
"Snape was Dumbledores, Dumbledores from the moment
you started hunting down my mother..."
Old March 5th, 2008, 4:42 pm
First Year

I'm 13 and I don't think they are childrens books at all.
Some off them are very dark and very complex anyway.

You are never too old to read books.

1. Call him 'The-man-who-let-the-boy-live'
2. Insist that you have met chunks of cheese with more cunning plans than his.
3. Magic-marker Potter-style glasses on him while he sleeps.
4.Begin any question you ask him with 'Riddle me this!'
5. Encourage him to 'think happy thoughts!'

Last edited by gemstarz101; March 6th, 2008 at 8:23 am. Reason: typo mistake
Old March 5th, 2008, 6:06 pm
First Year

I think that when people get older they hold themselves to some sort of standard of maturity. To me that's bogus, because maturity is relative - who gets to decide what is mature and what isn't? It's like telling someone to "act their age." What does that mean?

No we are not too old to read Harry Potter, or Chronicles of Narnia, or Goosebumps, or Everybody Poops. Besides "old" is relative too. I'm old compared to my little brother, and my mother's old compared to me. We all love Harry.

Old March 5th, 2008, 7:01 pm
Fourth Year

I don't think there is such a thing as "too old for Harry Potter." I think the reason that Harry Potter is such a popular series is because you can read it at so many different levels. Many of us here have been reading Harry Potter since we were children and it is still our favorite book now, although we are adults.

A child can read Harry Potter and love the story, but a lot of it goes right over a child's head. An eight year old usually can't understand some of the feelings Harry or other characters have or some of the themes such as "magic is might." When adults read Harry Potter, they see a very complex story. Which is also why it is read over and over again.

Last summer, I asked my cousin, who is my age, whether she was excited for the release of Deathly Hallows. She answered, "No, I think Harry Potter is a bit childish." In my opinion, people who see Harry Potter as a child's story are childish themselves because they are unable to see the deeper meaning of the story.

“That which Voldemort does not value, he takes no trouble to comprehend. Of house-elves and children’s tales, of love, loyalty, and innocence, Voldemort knows and understands nothing. Nothing. That they all have a power beyond his own, a power beyond the reach of any magic, is a truth he has never grasped.”

92% of teens moved on to rap music. If you're part of the 8% that rock out everyday, put this in your sig.
Old March 5th, 2008, 7:47 pm
Sixth Year

There's no such thing as 'too old for Harry Potter'!

Old March 8th, 2008, 2:23 pm
Third Year

Nahhh...im gonna turn 18 this april and I've started reading DH again!
I cant think living without HP...I'm gonna tell my kids to read them too..It's good stuff!

Old March 8th, 2008, 7:32 pm
First Year

In my opinion, you can never be too old for something that is truly great

Old March 9th, 2008, 5:40 pm
First Year

I don't think we are old for to read books or to watch Harry Potter movies.
I believe Harry is for all ages, and it is good for all.

Old March 16th, 2008, 1:49 am
First Year

I hope to heavens that I'm never too old to read Harry Potter. While taking courses during the past couple of summers, I've met many others who are younger and older than I, and who are also captivated by the books. Any book that has the capabilities to initiate discussion is relevant for any age. I just consider myself fortunate to have stumbled across the first one by accident all those years ago.

On a side note, I think I have been fortunate that the books I've read have been without drawings. I haven't been influenced by someone else's concept of the book or the characters and have formed my own from Jo's words. Mind you, the movies are harder to dispel.

Old March 16th, 2008, 1:54 am
Third Year

I find HP an escape from reality, and i think we all need that from time to time. No matter what age.

Two of the oddest men you would ever meet.

Supporter of splitting at shell cottage after Dobby's Heroic death.
Old March 16th, 2008, 1:55 am
Third Year

No Way!!!!!!! Youre never to old to read Harry Potter!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenGerman View Post
I find HP an escape from reality, and i think we all need that from time to time. No matter what age.
I completely agree.

I wish i could be in the DA.
Proud supporter of Dobby, Enemy of Bellatrix

~92% of teens moved on to rap music. If you're part of the 8% that rock out everyday, put this in your sig.~
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak