Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy

His Dark Materials

Old March 2nd, 2009, 8:59 pm
Secret Keeper

Re: His Dark Materials

I can't seem to find the site anymore...well i can but they completely changed it and removed the quiz. But I'm sure you could find a quiz on google

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Sponsored Links
Old March 2nd, 2009, 10:53 pm
Second Year

ok cool

I think you're cool, and I'd like to be your friend
Old March 3rd, 2009, 12:25 am
I want to believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampiricduck View Post
Which is rather cool, since Pullman pulled the idea from thin air after seeing some paintings of people with animals.
Cool, I always wondered how he got that idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
Yeah that would be strange. Especially since he is from our world, he would not have grown up with a physical daemon. and now he has to be able to explain to other people why he has his daemon with him, or at least make excuses for it.
I think Will would actually blend in pretty well since his daemon is a cat rather than a more extraordinary animal (like a crocodile or something), and since he can be separated from her, so she doesn't have to be right next to him all the time. To others not in the know, Kirjava would just appear like Will's pet, which fits in very well with Will's nature.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old March 3rd, 2009, 12:31 am
Secret Keeper

i haven't read it in a while, but did Lyra ever say if it feels weird without a daemon nearby at all times?

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old March 3rd, 2009, 4:01 pm
I want to believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voldemorts8thHorcrux View Post
i haven't read it in a while, but did Lyra ever say if it feels weird without a daemon nearby at all times?
I'm not sure if she said that specifically, but I can imagine it would probably be true since she's had him close by all her life. After their separation in the World of the Dead, I think she did mention that it was weird that there were some things he knew/experienced that she knew nothing about (and I recall that he said he'd tell her when the time was right). I also think Lyra said she had to be careful in her world not to let herself be seen without Pan close by, because everyone else (except the witches) would be frightened because it's unnatural.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old March 3rd, 2009, 5:42 pm
Second Year

When I first read Spyglass I thought that Lyra and Will's love came out of no where. Upon re-reading it I see that it was there for a long time, but did this happen to anyone else?

Old March 3rd, 2009, 9:46 pm
Third Year

It didnt come out of nowhere for me but I think I can see what you mean. Until I read it I dont think I really expected them to fall in love that way. Going through all that together though wouldnt just leave them feeling nothing. I think [and its been a while since I read it for the first time] what I had expected was closer to a brother/sister relationship. Like Harry and Hermione's in HP.

ON THE QUEST

Watch Chuck ~ = ~ Chat Chuck ~ = ~ Support Chuck
Harry Potter Caption Contest
: The best fanfiction out there.
in - - I grudgingly trust Severus Snape. ~ ~ ~ ~ Black Σφ390
Old March 3rd, 2009, 10:56 pm
Secret Keeper

i expected a brother sister relationship too but i think maybe pullman wanted to make their separation more dramatic and to a lot of people, in love is more dramatic than love.

My Deviantart Account

Old March 4th, 2009, 12:13 am
Second Year

I too expected a brother/sister relationship, but I agree with V8 that it is a more dramatic separation for them.

fangirl moment: I love these books!

Old March 4th, 2009, 2:25 am
Qvack...

I always thought it would turn out more brother/sister too... but when they started getting older, I can see why they were so attracted to each other; they had truly seen everything and suffered it all.

And of course, the separation was truly awful. I really felt sorry for them.. I always wished that they would meet again, and to be totally honest, I will never forget the end of the book. I have long since wanted to sit on that bench in the Botanic Gardens.

THE DUCK.

Old March 4th, 2009, 2:42 am
Secret Keeper

it was such a sad sad ending , but the book wouldn't be complete without it. I remember just sobbing during the end , to lose someone that close RIGHT after figuring out you had fallen in love.

Actually, I think that was the bite for me, if they had fallen in love way earlier, it really wouldn't be quite that sad

My Deviantart Account

Old March 4th, 2009, 5:41 am
Banned

I'm thinking about giving the books a chance. Now that I've broken out of my parent's evil brainwashing, I can now think clearly and for myself and I want to read them. I just hope I can get them into the house without them seeing it.

I've only got this very vague description of it, though. In fact, I don't know much about it. What exactly are the books about?

Old March 4th, 2009, 4:12 pm
Second Year

Quote:
it was such a sad sad ending , but the book wouldn't be complete without it. I remember just sobbing during the end , to lose someone that close RIGHT after figuring out you had fallen in love.

Actually, I think that was the bite for me, if they had fallen in love way earlier, it really wouldn't be quite that sad
Now that you mention it, that was a freakin sad ending! I'd say on par with the sadness of Atonement. That was such a sad book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBloodGirl View Post
I'm thinking about giving the books a chance. Now that I've broken out of my parent's evil brainwashing, I can now think clearly and for myself and I want to read them. I just hope I can get them into the house without them seeing it.

I've only got this very vague description of it, though. In fact, I don't know much about it. What exactly are the books about?
yay! you will totally enjoy them if you liked Potter

The Golden Compass is about Lyra, who travels to the North to free her friend from the evil Snatchers. Oh ya and she has a compass that tells the truth and only she can read.
Subtle Knife is about Will, a boy from our world, and Lyra and they find this Knife that can cut through the fabric of worlds. they run from the people who want to get their hands on the knife
Amber Spyglass is about Will and Lyra as they fight the bad people, they travel and learn about themselves, their souls, and love.

theres obviously a lot more, I tried not to be too spoilerish

Old March 4th, 2009, 8:45 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
Now that you mention it, that was a freakin sad ending! I'd say on par with the sadness of Atonement. That was such a sad book.

yay! you will totally enjoy them if you liked Potter

The Golden Compass is about Lyra, who travels to the North to free her friend from the evil Snatchers. Oh ya and she has a compass that tells the truth and only she can read.
Subtle Knife is about Will, a boy from our world, and Lyra and they find this Knife that can cut through the fabric of worlds. they run from the people who want to get their hands on the knife
Amber Spyglass is about Will and Lyra as they fight the bad people, they travel and learn about themselves, their souls, and love.

theres obviously a lot more, I tried not to be too spoilerish
That sounds really interesting. I'm definitely gonna have a go at reading them.

Old March 4th, 2009, 10:54 pm
Secret Keeper

there are definitely religious messages in it, but i personally think he's more against organized religion than religion itself. If you're religious, you have to keep an open mind, because it's not necessarily completely bashing God.

I'll try to give a bit more of a detailed description without spoiling

In Lyra's world, it's sort of old fashioned and everyone has their soul in the form of an animal that goes everywhere with them and the main plot of the books as a whole is Lyra and Will figuring out about the different worlds and uh...other stuff that i shouldn't divulge because it would be overly spoilery

My Deviantart Account

Old March 4th, 2009, 11:26 pm
Banned

Quote:
there are definitely religious messages in it, but i personally think he's more against organized religion than religion itself. If you're religious, you have to keep an open mind, because it's not necessarily completely bashing God.
Well, Pullman has said "My books are about killing God".

Old March 4th, 2009, 11:36 pm
Secret Keeper

im not religious and i really could care less what the message of the book is if it's religious, but the message that got through to me was that the Church was bad, and not necessarily God, since he changed God so much in his books

My Deviantart Account

Old March 4th, 2009, 11:41 pm
Second Year

Ya I thought that too V8. it is more about the oppressive nature of the church instead of God. Maybe Pullman just said that to be controversial...

Old March 4th, 2009, 11:47 pm
Secret Keeper

The more controversial you are in places where the Church can't ban your books, the more popular you become

My Deviantart Account

Old March 5th, 2009, 12:05 am
Third Year

I actually have read something written by Pullman about that. If I can find it...

Here it is:

Quote:
...my main quarrel has always been with the literalist, fundamentalist nature of absolute power, whether it's manifested in the religious police state of Saudi Arabia or the atheist police state of Soviet Russia. The difference between those powers on the one hand, and the democratic powers of the human imagination on the other, are at the very heart of His Dark Materials - and to understand this, you need exactly the sort of intelligence that can grasp the nature of imagery. - Philip Pullman
That is actually from a short piece about the movie on PP's web site. >HERE<

ON THE QUEST

Watch Chuck ~ = ~ Chat Chuck ~ = ~ Support Chuck
Harry Potter Caption Contest
: The best fanfiction out there.
in - - I grudgingly trust Severus Snape. ~ ~ ~ ~ Black Σφ390
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy