Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy

His Dark Materials

Old March 5th, 2006, 8:47 pm
Second Year

His Dark Materials

I did a search but I didn't find any thread dedicated to this wonderful trilogy, written by Philip Pullman! The titles of the three books are: "Northern Lights/The Golden Compass", "The Subtle Knife" and "The Amber Spyglass"!
In my opinion it is a beautiful and very original story: Lyra, the protagonist, is a fantastic character and the universes that Pullman invents are charming! And the end is very thouching!
Dis anyone read it?

Sponsored Links
Old March 5th, 2006, 8:49 pm
Banned

Re: His Dark Material

HDMs is a hugely popular series! I enjoyed it very much, and I still like looking back through them even now.

I'm sure there was a thread on this, but I guess it was closed. Oh well! Let the new thread commence, as I always say.

Old March 5th, 2006, 9:33 pm
Third Year

I love His Dark Materials - I cried so much over it!!! Tragic yet brilliant books.

Old March 5th, 2006, 11:40 pm
Fifth Year

I adore The Golden Compass and The Subtle Knife, but I was disappointed with The Amber Spyglass.

"We'll hold hands and skip afterwards." -Jess from Gilmore Girls

"Put your gun back in your pants, Sawyer" -Kate

"But why is the rum gone?" -Captain Jack

"I don't know what kind of commie sharefest you're running up there in cavetown..." -Sawyer

"Is there anyway I can get this off my fingers quickly without betraying my cool exterior?" - Fox Mulder

Oh Captain Jack, you've swashbuckled your way into my heart.
Old March 6th, 2006, 1:33 am
Third Year

Ooh, I read the trio of books a few years back. I had read The Golden Compass for a class, didn't really like it, read The Subtle Knife, LOVED it, and then read The Amber Spyglass and was a litle confused throughout it. Then I reread them all again consecutively.... and loved them =D The ending is really good but kind of sad too, y'know?

The movie is coming out next year, isn't it? Or was it sometime this year?

You've got to make the effort, and love every moment of it
Old March 6th, 2006, 1:39 am
First Year

I loved the books! I started reading them my 4th grade year of school and I still read them. I was so depressed when Will and Lyra were seperated. I'm still (naively) hoping for a reunion.

Dumbledore's Army, Still Recruiting
Old March 6th, 2006, 1:40 am
First Year

OMG I LOVE HDMT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!IT IS SO TOTALLY AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!
The movie?when?were?what?why?and how?
I read them once understood them LOVED THEM
(as u can see)!!!!!!

I was too I cried for hours

"When in doubt go to the library!It works for me so why don't you try it?"Oh honestly doesn't anyone ever read?"why don't you try it? Pick up a good book curl up in a chair and read it!It migh be fun!Ever wanted to go to Hogwarts?Here's your chance with two awesome Hogwarts like places,it's like actually being there!please joinhttp://www.niww.proboards85.com/index.cgi http://www.hogwarts.t83.net/
Old March 6th, 2006, 1:49 am
First Year

I have read the golden compass and the subtle knife and loved them both. But whenever I try to read the Amber Spyglass, I can't get through it. I have gotten through about halfway 3 times but never actually finished. It's a good story I just have trouble sticking to it.

Old March 6th, 2006, 2:05 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Smeagol
I was so depressed when Will and Lyra were seperated. I'm still (naively) hoping for a reunion.
Me too, Saint Smeagol, me too.. I actually felt a knot in my stomach as I was thinking, "No...nononono dang it X0" even though I could feel a seperation coming.

And the movie is set for 2007, according to imdb.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpfan_142
I have read the golden compass and the subtle knife and loved them both. But whenever I try to read the Amber Spyglass, I can't get through it. I have gotten through about halfway 3 times but never actually finished. It's a good story I just have trouble sticking to it.
That was me when I first read The Golden Compass. Have you thought about going for the tapes or cds instead? My brother had to do that with the 4th and the 5th Potter books.

You've got to make the effort, and love every moment of it

Last edited by Lil_G135; March 6th, 2006 at 2:09 am.
Old March 6th, 2006, 2:45 am
Second Year

I LOVED these books!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was really sad at the end, though.
I can't wait for the movie, but I'm also dreading it, I don't want to be dissapointed.

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Claudi Alsina, Spanish mathematician

There's no greater burden than a great potencial. Linus Van Pelt, Peanuts.

I'm a Ravenclaw!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Proud supporter of the Lyceum, Knights for the order of St. Bisclavret and W.O.L.F.
Old March 6th, 2006, 3:53 am
I want to believe

I very much enjoyed the His Dark Materials series- I own a special boxed set of the books. You always know I when I like a particular book a lot because then I'll go out and buy it for my personal collection. I agree though about the bittersweet ending where Will and Lyra have to separate.

Hmm, I didn't know there was going to be a movie, but I look forward to seeing it.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old March 6th, 2006, 12:15 pm
First Year

is there any news on the progress of the movie?

"When in doubt go to the library!It works for me so why don't you try it?"Oh honestly doesn't anyone ever read?"why don't you try it? Pick up a good book curl up in a chair and read it!It migh be fun!Ever wanted to go to Hogwarts?Here's your chance with two awesome Hogwarts like places,it's like actually being there!please joinhttp://www.niww.proboards85.com/index.cgi http://www.hogwarts.t83.net/
Old March 6th, 2006, 3:29 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbeyjewel
is there any news on the progress of the movie?
Alas, no, there isn't...
I only know that it should be set for 2007 and that should be directed by Anand Tucker...there isn't already a cast...

Old March 6th, 2006, 4:21 pm
First Year

I have read them many a time. I am also a huge fan of John Miltons, which is how i was introduced to them. It was a lady who owned a childrens bookshop near where i live that first gave me them.

I thnik they will make fantastic films. Philip Pullman is also writing "The book of dust".

Lyras Oxford was good, but too short and appetite whetting.

Old March 6th, 2006, 6:53 pm
Banned

I was so annoyed when Lyra and Will had to seperate too. I mean, couldn't they have kept two windows open? Just two?
I think only letting them have one was stupid. Should've been two!

Old March 6th, 2006, 7:44 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally posted by Seventh_child: I was so annoyed when Lyra and Will had to seperate too. I mean, couldn't they have kept two windows open? Just two?
I agree! It was so sad and so annoying that they had to seperate..
But the books are brilliant though..

Weasley is my King!

Your TIGER DAEMON shows an unmistakable aura of pride, resilience, and aggression. Your balance of impatience and inspiration make you a creative leader, although you are prone to dangerous extremes.
Old March 6th, 2006, 8:26 pm
Sixth Year

I love HDM. Quite possibly the bravest, smartest, most beautiful "childrens' books" ever written. I'm a little concerned about the movie, though - it seems New Line have bowed to pressure to remove religious references, which is ridiculous, since the heart of the book is the oppression of some sections of organised religion.

Old March 6th, 2006, 9:22 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idril87
Alas, no, there isn't...
I only know that it should be set for 2007 and that should be directed by Anand Tucker...there isn't already a cast...
Whadda ya mean there isn't really a cast?
ARE THEY STILL AUDITIONING?
*faints*

Old March 6th, 2006, 10:10 pm
Second Year

Quote:
I was so annoyed when Lyra and Will had to seperate too. I mean, couldn't they have kept two windows open? Just two?
It would have been really selfish of them to keep two open, it would have meant that a sceptre was roaming about, and they are foul creatures. I think that their sacrafice is sad, but fits in well with the overall tone of the book. Although they might not have each other, they went through a lot together and know the other is out there. Plus they have their yearly ritual.

I think the seperation of Lyra and Pantalimon was worse, they where never as close as they had been, and they will be together forever, so that saddened me more.

The series was great; well written; fast paced storyline; intriguing characters; inter-twining plots, but at the end of it I felt that I had missed something, and it wasn't the feeling left after Will and Lyras seperation, it was the last few chapters, the conclusion. I felt it was rushed, and didn't make it's end message effectively, and overall I felt let down by the speedy anti-climatic end.

Last edited by daddylonglegs; March 12th, 2006 at 12:36 am.
Old March 6th, 2006, 10:43 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpfan_142

I know exactly what you mean. the same thing happens to me whenever I try to read Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell. I love the book, but for some reason I can't get through it.

"We'll hold hands and skip afterwards." -Jess from Gilmore Girls

"Put your gun back in your pants, Sawyer" -Kate

"But why is the rum gone?" -Captain Jack

"I don't know what kind of commie sharefest you're running up there in cavetown..." -Sawyer

"Is there anyway I can get this off my fingers quickly without betraying my cool exterior?" - Fox Mulder

Oh Captain Jack, you've swashbuckled your way into my heart.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy