Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy

His Dark Materials

Old April 4th, 2009, 2:25 am
Qvack...

Re: His Dark Materials

"In an interview with the Oxford Mail at the premiere of The Golden Compass movie, Pullman suggested The Book of Dust could be released in 2009. The same article describes the book as a 'full-length novel' which contradicts earlier claims that it would be a collection of short stories."- taken from the wiki page on The Book of Dust, and the direct article from the Oxford Mail.

Oh wow, it's set to be a full length novel! And it's set to be big!! !!

THE DUCK.

Sponsored Links
Old April 4th, 2009, 4:08 am
Secret Keeper

Very descriptive Phil, a big big book . But I can't wait, its 2009

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old April 4th, 2009, 4:58 am
Qvack...

Well, we can always hope... I suppose for me it's like the Wheel of Time. I've been waiting to see the end of that series since 1999. *despair*

There's no release date for The Book of Dust yet, but neither have we been told it's to be pushed back. I'm electing to see that as a good thing, though it could just as well go either way.

You know, I hate to be so picky.. but I want Pullman's publishers to give us a special edition.. I think we've waited long enough to merit us getting some special packaging... when I think of all the things he could involve...

I already had a big hardback omnibus of the books, and then I decided that I would get the special edition hardback of each of the three, and it really paid off. They're really beautiful and take pride of place on my shelf because they were the first books that ever challenged me to think things through more. The extras in the back are really clever- little snippets from Grumann's diary and pieces of maps, etc- it added something small but significant to the story, without a doubt. I would love to see that in the Book of Dust.

THE DUCK.

Old April 4th, 2009, 5:33 pm
Secret Keeper

I think the first thing I'm doing when I get my own income is buy all my favorite books special edition books. I definitely hope we see things like that in the book of dust

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old April 4th, 2009, 5:38 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampiricduck View Post
I already had a big hardback omnibus of the books, and then I decided that I would get the special edition hardback of each of the three, and it really paid off.
I managed to get a signed copy of the hardback omnibus a few years ago. But I'm sort of afraid to actually, you know, use the thing, so I have a paperback copy that I pick up whenever I want to look at something in the books.

And I personally don't think we'll see The Book of Dust until 2010 - it can take a while to edit and produce a book, even if it is done now. I am enormously excited though! Particularly now that it's being described as a novel (I hadn't heard that before).

I don't know exactly when I read the HDM for the first time, but I think it must have been when I was 13 or so and I'm 20 now. And shortly after finishing them I remember hearing about The Book of Dust and looking forward to it in the same way I looked forward to the next Harry Potter novel. That was an entirely different part of my life, so it seems pretty unreal that the wait is finally, finally almost over.

Old April 4th, 2009, 8:34 pm
Secret Keeper

im glad i've only known about Book of Dust now then

I think I started reading HDM only last year actually, but it's one of the more amazing series i've read. I only wish i started them earlier

I'm wondering whether i should buy these for my trip to my great uncle's to read for 2 days or books i actually haven't read yet, but these are more special

My Deviantart Account

Old April 5th, 2009, 9:11 am
Too MAGENTA for a UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampiricduck View Post
"In an interview with the Oxford Mail at the premiere of The Golden Compass movie, Pullman suggested The Book of Dust could be released in 2009. The same article describes the book as a 'full-length novel' which contradicts earlier claims that it would be a collection of short stories."- taken from the wiki page on The Book of Dust, and the direct article from the Oxford Mail.

Oh wow, it's set to be a full length novel! And it's set to be big!! !!
I'm so excited about this

the tiniest mite packs the mightiest sting.

Old April 5th, 2009, 6:33 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voldemorts8thHorcrux View Post
I'm wondering whether i should buy these for my trip to my great uncle's to read for 2 days or books i actually haven't read yet, but these are more special
Well, personally I don't buy many books that I haven't read before from the library. If I haven't read it how do I know if it's something I want to own?

The exception being if my local bookstore has a signed copy of something (they usually have a lot of author events, actually) and I am fairly certain I'm going to like it, whether because I've read good reviews of it or just think it sounds really interesting from the jacket text.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Druid View Post
I'm so excited about this
I know! Especially the "big" part.

Old April 5th, 2009, 11:03 pm
Secret Keeper

well, they're books that are part of a series i like . But His Dark Materials have waited longer to be bought

I'm too excited about Dresden Files at the moment but after rereading the series again i'll be super excited

My Deviantart Account

Old April 7th, 2009, 8:26 pm
Sixth Year

Ooohh, I can't wait for The Book of Dust. It sounds like it'll be cool.

Old April 8th, 2009, 2:20 am
Secret Keeper

My mom bought the entire series for me today ::clap

My Deviantart Account

Old April 8th, 2009, 6:19 am
First Year

Quote:
well, they're books that are part of a series i like . But His Dark Materials have waited longer to be bought

I'm too excited about Dresden Files at the moment but after rereading the series again i'll be super excited
Oh, gotcha. Come to think of it, I'll sometimes buy books without knowing much about them if I like the author... it's just that there are only a few authors I like well enough to read anything they write, and they are generally slow with putting out new books, so it doesn't happen very frequently. Philip Pullman is one of those authors though.

BTW, I think I said this in the Dresden Files thread but seeing you (and everyone else) write about it so much has inspired me to order the first one from the library. Looking forward to reading it.

Quote:
My mom bought the entire series for me today ::clap
Yay! I love flipping through new books and admiring the font and all those beautifully written words and everything...

Old April 10th, 2009, 5:04 pm
Sixth Year

That's awesome that you got the entire series. It's an awesome fantasy series.

Old April 16th, 2009, 6:42 pm
Secret Keeper

im like halfway through "The Amber Spyglass" now . I can see why it can get boring for some kids. The first books were mostly about adventure but all the sort of "politics" and prewar stuff can get kind of boring for a kid.I remember this series was the first series that i could read while taking breaks in between even if now i find it like ten times more exciting

My Deviantart Account

Old April 17th, 2009, 3:07 pm
Sixth Year

Yeah, I agree that young kids may not be able to grasp the books, but older readers may want to read them. I'm glad you like them.

Old April 17th, 2009, 5:51 pm
Secret Keeper

i think if there's someone explaining, it can be a children's book. kids are much smarter than people give them credit for when they really want to be. but overall it's more of a YA book because it is rather complex. I found it more enjoyable this time round, but i understood it well enough a few years ago too

My Deviantart Account

Old April 18th, 2009, 6:35 pm
Sixth Year

I agree that some of the subject matter is complex and that older readers may understand it better than younger readers. However, I enjoyed it and can't wait for The Book of Dust.

Old April 18th, 2009, 8:52 pm
Secret Keeper

i really want to read Lyra's Oxford too, cuz i haven't yet.

My Deviantart Account

Old April 18th, 2009, 9:34 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
i really want to read Lyra's Oxford too, cuz i haven't yet.
It's a cute book, but it wasn't really that good. Though, I suppose it could be just me thinking that, I've never talked to anyone else having read it.

You get ideas from daydreaming. You get ideas from being bored. You get ideas all the time.
The only difference between writers and other people is we notice when we're doing it.

óNeil Gaiman

Thank you so much, lilyrose, for the lovely avatar and signature pictures!
Old April 18th, 2009, 9:41 pm
Secret Keeper

i didn't really like Pullman's book "Clockwork" that we read in English class. His other books don't seem to be as complex and that's what i really like about his books. overall, his books are too "cute" in a way

My Deviantart Account

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy