Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion

The Force Awakens

Old December 26th, 2015, 6:57 pm
Curse Breaker

Re: The Force Awakens

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordmundt6 View Post
Spoiler: show
Yes, most of those are Luke's memories. Of the duel at Cloud City and the aftermath, but there was new audio from Ewan McGregor and Frank Oz...AND there was undoubtedly footage of a very young crying girl at that Jedi School who appeared to be either witnessing the massacre or was being sent away after it. I think the view of Ren with his saber out at the school is supposed to be her memory, not Luke's. Plus...it appears that Luke did not collect that saber after he lost it. It fell into other hands. The cloud city duel is Luke's past, when he lost the weapon. The other memories are most likely hers.

There's been a theory advanced that
Ben/Kylo Solo ends up being Ren's teacher almost by accident. He tries things on her or brags about them. She sees it, it triggers something and she then does it better than he can. Remember the force reading? He pulls things from her to intimidate her and then when he tries to punch through the rest of it, she reads him while trying to protect herself...and it understandably unsettles him. After that exchange, he mentions she needs a teacher in the ways of the Force and she does the mind trick after a little trial and error. She calls the saber to her during the fight, something that Luke spends most of Empire learning how to do in little steps. All that seems to indicate she's either supremely gifted or she had some fairly extensive early training before being dropped on Jakku...or, most probably, both.
How is there a way to know one of the memories is Rey's? I think that would be a big assumption considering the fact that the memory of Kylo at the school could easily be Luke's. And the young girl crying at the school could have been a student, it doesn't automatically mean she's Luke's daughter. Remember that Luke was teaching a group of students, the image could in fact be Rey, or not be Rey.

I don't think there's enough information known about Luke's lightsabre to conclude he never collected it. He could have easily left it where we see it for safekeeping before he went into isolation.

I may have missed the remark you're referring to during Kylo's interrogation, but the way I recall the comment Kylo makes about teaching her the Force is during their battle near the end of the movie; when he does that, it reminds her that she had not been fighting Kylo with the Force in mind, and then we see her totally gain the upper hand and defeat Kylo. She doesn't seem formally trained to me precisely because she is too unaware of it most of the time. I think the difference between Luke's pace of learning and Rey's, is that Luke sometimes doubted, and Rey simply accepts it.

....I miss David Tennant....
Sponsored Links
Old December 27th, 2015, 4:11 am
I want to believe

Quote:
All that seems to indicate she's either supremely gifted or she had some fairly extensive early training before being dropped on Jakku...or, most probably, both.
I agree. I found it odd that she acquired her Jedi skills so quickly. After all, it took Luke much longer to learn. I think she must have been taught at some point.

Regarding Rey and Kylo:
I read an article about the differences between the film and the novel. Apparently, in the book during the Lightsaber battle between the two of them, Kylo says, "it is you," indicating that he does recognize Rey. It's possible Kylo Ren was the student that betrayed Luke. I also think it's possible Rey is Luke's daughter, but there's also a theory that she's related to Obi-Wan. I'm not sure which, if any, of these theories to believe. It would be awfully obvious for her to be Luke's daughter, but on the other hand, it makes sense given the way Luke's Lightsaber reacted to her.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old December 27th, 2015, 7:41 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemusLupinFan View Post
I agree. I found it odd that she acquired her Jedi skills so quickly. After all, it took Luke much longer to learn. I think she must have been taught at some point.

Regarding Rey and Kylo:
I read an article about the differences between the film and the novel. Apparently, in the book during the Lightsaber battle between the two of them, Kylo says, "it is you," indicating that he does recognize Rey. It's possible Kylo Ren was the student that betrayed Luke. I also think it's possible Rey is Luke's daughter, but there's also a theory that she's related to Obi-Wan. I'm not sure which, if any, of these theories to believe. It would be awfully obvious for her to be Luke's daughter, but on the other hand, it makes sense given the way Luke's Lightsaber reacted to her.
Regarding Rey, I don't think it's odd at all. Anakin had much the same natural ability/skill without any training.

In the movie, it's absolutely stated that Kylo was the student who betrayed Luke and destroyed the school. Regarding "novelization", since Star Wars began as movies, I'm inclined to stay with the movies as the official storyline, just my view. Also, Rey doesn't have to be related to anyone to have a strong connection with the Force, look to Anakin Skywalker as an example.

Old December 28th, 2015, 6:13 am
The Next Great Adventurer

Quote:

The only known surviving Skywalker-Solo is a tantrum-thrower who reminds one forcefully of Ani. ...And for this whiner we lose a character like Solo and an actor like Ford. Good grief
The impression I got was that Kylo was yet to complete his training and was betrayed by his emotions which was also true of his uncle before he became a Jedi.

As for Han, I get the impression that the only way they could attract Harrison Ford was by killing off Han, something he suggested they do in RotJ.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old December 28th, 2015, 6:15 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Yes, most of those are Luke's memories. Of the duel at Cloud City and the aftermath, but there was new audio from Ewan McGregor and Frank Oz...AND there was undoubtedly footage of a very young crying girl at that Jedi School who appeared to be either witnessing the massacre or was being sent away after it. I think the view of Ren with his saber out at the school is supposed to be her memory, not Luke's. Plus...it appears that Luke did not collect that saber after he lost it. It fell into other hands. The cloud city duel is Luke's past, when he lost the weapon. The other memories are most likely hers.
Updated comment after second viewing:
One of the memories Rey sees when she first touches the lightsabre does show a very young girl (much younger than Kylo) screaming at a spaceship for them to come back. Assuming this was her family escaping the attack, but no way to tell whose memory that was. Say it was Rey's memory; she doesn't seem to make a connection that she's seeing herself, and why would it be stored on the lightsabre? Rey could have been a sister of one of the students and got left behind. It also tells us that Kylo isn't yet comfortable with harming/killing very young children at that point. And I don't see Luke leaving her behind with Kylo if she was indeed his daughter.

Regarding the lightsabre, Maz tells Han that she has had it since forever, and declines to tell him how she acquired it. So my money is still on Luke's leaving it with her before he went into hiding.

Old December 28th, 2015, 6:18 am

Quote:
All that seems to indicate she's either supremely gifted or she had some fairly extensive early training before being dropped on Jakku...or, most probably, both.
We've seen in other movies that the some Jedi (particularly of the Skywalker clan) have a great deal of innate ability.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

Old December 28th, 2015, 3:28 pm
Member of the Order

Currently the prevailing trend of theories floating around is that Abrams took the idea of the Solo having twins and revamped it.
Twisted it a bit with the Anakin/Padme idea and split the both of them apart.
Kylo stayed home while Rey...went to hell. Little bits and pieces...
She had a knack for flying the Falcon, displaying an inordinate amount of knowledge about the ship.
Han...trying to make her 2nd mate.
Rey is now the pilot...(which is uncomfortable to me...Her and Chewie really need to have a talk)
And when Kylo was interrogating her he mentioned that she feels as if Han was a father-figure to her.
Which could easily be a foreshadow of things to come.

pfft...maybe I'm just seeing things.
I'm definitely reading far too many theories...

All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

---Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Million Dollar Baby)
Old December 29th, 2015, 4:56 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightsfire View Post
Currently the prevailing trend of theories floating around is that Abrams took the idea of the Solo having twins and revamped it.
Twisted it a bit with the Anakin/Padme idea and split the both of them apart.
Kylo stayed home while Rey...went to hell. Little bits and pieces...
She had a knack for flying the Falcon, displaying an inordinate amount of knowledge about the ship.
Han...trying to make her 2nd mate.
Rey is now the pilot...(which is uncomfortable to me...Her and Chewie really need to have a talk)
And when Kylo was interrogating her he mentioned that she feels as if Han was a father-figure to her.
Which could easily be a foreshadow of things to come.
I think Kylo was projecting there; it's likely his issue, not hers. I wouldn't read all that much into it. Anyway, there'll be another movie before you know it.

Old December 29th, 2015, 5:53 am

I know certain locations are used repeatedly, but it looks like Luke has moved to Westeros.

Old December 30th, 2015, 2:23 am
Member of the Order

I should like to hope that they do something to drop things a slight notch.
How many people were killed on any of those planets that went boom? Plenty I'm sure.
Just thinking out loud...and posting it...

Finn...couldn't have been the only person that worked in sanitation or any other area for that matter that likely had similar feelings of "non-conformity." (A crime that obviously demands re-indoctrination, at least for a first offense) And I should wonder if he couldn't lead more people away from the First Order. Lets get away from the word "rebellion" and think...revolution.

And before anyone says that it might not fit in with a trilogy, well...who says this has to be a trilogy?

All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

---Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Million Dollar Baby)
Old December 30th, 2015, 3:58 am

Interesting theory about Ewoks and the Knights of Ren.

http://screenrant.com/star-wars-7-kn...plained-ewoks/

Old February 26th, 2016, 4:04 am
Second Year

Entertaining, but a weak and unoriginal plot.

Old April 16th, 2016, 6:25 am

Abrams has put the kibosh on theories that Rey is Luke or Leia's daughter.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/04/15...ms-rey-parents

If she is the daughter of any character from the previous movie I'd say she's a Kenobi. Or a (very) distant relative of Jar-Jar Binks.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion