Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion

The Force Awakens

Old October 20th, 2015, 5:21 am
First Year

The Force Awakens

Just saw the trailer. Anyone else excited?

Maple with unicorn core, 11 and a quarter inches, slightly springy!
Sponsored Links
Old December 17th, 2015, 10:45 pm
Fifth Year

Re: The Force Awakens

I just saw the movie. If you are a fan of the originals, be very excited.

I am gespatchio Oh!
Old December 18th, 2015, 2:25 pm
Rocket Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlidia View Post
agreed they did the fans proud

So much awesome. So many good questions... Looking forward to more!

*Sig image compliments of cybobbie
Old December 18th, 2015, 11:45 pm
Curse Breaker

Well that's a hopeful sign. If I can find an open seat at my local theater, this could be an interesting exercise. I loved the first and liked the third. I acknowledge the quality of the second even if I didn't enjoy the experience. Has Abrams finally found projects, plural that will hold his interest long-term?

The revivals of Mission Impossible, Star Trek, and now Star Wars? Very intriguing.

No worries. No spoilers here.
Old December 19th, 2015, 2:16 am
Member of the Order

Spoiler: show
I did enjoy this movie. The characterization was a little thin, but that's always the case as the script fills in the blanks one step at a time.

One small problem...not-so-small maybe...
Kylo Ren.
They filled in the blanks on this particular character fairly quick.
Ok, I get the whole psychological probs, daddy issues...grand-daddy issues...sure. I get the anger/rage/strength...dark force..got that.
But...he's an angry child here. And while he may not exactly be running things on that planet-sized death star, he's still has an amazing amount of responsibility. Sure, he has Snookums, or whatever his name is as the dread Sith Lord he has to report to, but still...I guess I'm comparing Kylo Ren to Darth Vader. Vader's calm menacing competence (easily see him with that level of responsibility) to this...boy. And I see Anakin Skywalker all over again.

Perhaps it'll be explained in the next movie.
Heh...Rey and Kylo...twins? I wouldn't be surprised.

I do plan on seeing this again...I hope tomorrow night.

All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

---Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Million Dollar Baby)
Old December 20th, 2015, 4:59 am
Curse Breaker

Yeah, your description of Vader is a very different from Ani or Ani going dark. Strange. I tend to separate Ani from the guy described in the first trilogy since the character from the prequels and the memories outlined by Yoda and Obi-wan have almost nothing to do with one another. Is that a writing problem (Meta-McGuffin lightning bugs!!) or a casting problem (Jake Lloyd followed by Hayden Christiansen). Or are those inextricably linked?? Hayden Christiansen's best performance ever was as the sniveling fabulist in "Shattered Glass." Jake Lloyd's best performance was as a kid rendered near catatonic by inhuman, torturous experiments perpetrated on him by his own father on a TV series. That description sounds like it should have been great training for Kid Vader...and maybe it could have been, but the writing didn't help either.

Old December 21st, 2015, 4:46 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlidia View Post
I agree; saw it today, and thought it was very well done all around.

....I miss David Tennant....
Old December 21st, 2015, 8:47 am
Assistant to Minister Granger

I enjoyed it too. I was a lot of fun, with a fast-paced plot and very well acted.
The story was nothing new though; it's basically the same story from the previous two three-parters, including the infiltration and blow-up of a huge military-base planet. It doesn't detract from the film though, IMO.
Oh, and it's so cool that the main character is a woman. So so cool.

Old December 21st, 2015, 11:01 am
Definitely not Fourth Year (that's a bit boring)

Does the music have the strength of the previous films?

Old December 21st, 2015, 3:20 pm
Rocket Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightsfire View Post
I did enjoy this movie. The characterization was a little thin, but that's always the case as the script fills in the blanks one step at a time.

One small problem...not-so-small maybe...
Kylo Ren.
They filled in the blanks on this particular character fairly quick.
Ok, I get the whole psychological probs, daddy issues...grand-daddy issues...sure. I get the anger/rage/strength...dark force..got that.
But...he's an angry child here. And while he may not exactly be running things on that planet-sized death star, he's still has an amazing amount of responsibility. Sure, he has Snookums, or whatever his name is as the dread Sith Lord he has to report to, but still...I guess I'm comparing Kylo Ren to Darth Vader. Vader's calm menacing competence (easily see him with that level of responsibility) to this...boy. And I see Anakin Skywalker all over again.

Perhaps it'll be explained in the next movie.
Heh...Rey and Kylo...twins? I wouldn't be surprised.

I do plan on seeing this again...I hope tomorrow night.
I agree kylo is unstable, but he also hasnt completed his trianing. He does have a lot of the whiney anakin in him. That said I think he has a complex struggle going on in his head that we've only just scratched the surface of. I expect to see more conflict from him as the story continues. That said I think he well be a lot more compelling than anakin, where anakin was whiney, i think kylo is really fighting to figure out who he wants to be.

In terms of Rey and Kylo, related possibly, cousins possibly, siblings possibly, twins I'm not so sure about. A.) been there done that (I know this was basically a new hope remake/reboot movie but I don't think they will go that exact route again. B.) Kylo would have known about Rey if they were twins unless for some reason they were separated at birth but i can't see any logic for doing that at this time.

I'm kind of hoping Rey isnt a Skywalker just from the standpoint that I'd like to see a new emergence of jedi that arent all related. Whether that be from Rey or another character I'm not sure yet, but I don't think every jedi in the galaxy needs to be related.

*Sig image compliments of cybobbie
Old December 22nd, 2015, 3:00 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger1 View Post
Does the music have the strength of the previous films?
I'd have to pay attention on the next viewing, because I didn't notice it per se except for the ones that carried the original Star Wars themes. Was busy paying attention to the story and character acting (not a bad thing!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoana View Post
Yep, and Daisy Ridley does an excellent job with her character in my opinion.

I heard that Disney has plans to produce sequels every year for the next 6 years or so (according to entertainment media TV anyway).

Last edited by HedwigOwl; December 22nd, 2015 at 3:04 am.
Old December 22nd, 2015, 3:48 am
Assistant to Professor Snape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoana View Post
Yes!! My sons visited their Dad this weekend and he took them to see it. I asked them both who their favorite character was and my 11 year old sort of looked at me like it was an odd question and then answered "Rey, duh!" My older son prefers Finn.

I'm planning to see it again, I really enjoyed it.

“Death is the only pure, beautiful conclusion of a great passion.”-D. H. Lawrence

All was well.

Avatar by nerwende, signature art by sigune, used with permission.
Old December 22nd, 2015, 1:46 pm
Member of the Order

*sigh*
After reading and rereading theory after theory, I'm going to have to accept that Rey is just going to be an ongoing mystery until the next movie.

All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

Old December 23rd, 2015, 7:29 pm
Curse Breaker

Which hopefully they release in 2017. Rian Johnson, the guy behind Looper and Brick is the new director. They allowed him access to dailies plotpoints from various script versions of this last one as he built his script.

A completed draft is done, and they've already shot a couple of scenes. Reports indicate that it resumes in March.

Okay. This is a very good film and, I think on par with the original trilogy (or at least RoJ).

That said, I find it endlessly depressing that

The only known surviving Skywalker-Solo is a tantrum-thrower who reminds one forcefully of Ani. The idea that he's so messed up that he thinks Vader was "seduced" by the Light into going back to being a Jedi of the Light is an interesting concept, but most of his unhelmeted pronouncements and behavior sound like Pete Campbell from Mad Men or Wormtail from the Potterverse. It's an interesting idea, I suppose. But, he doesn't have a tragic background like Anakin did. He was raised in a loving environment and then trained in a careful one before finding something that at least initially appealed to him more. And for this whiner we lose a character like Solo and an actor like Ford. Good grief

The heroine is awesome and there are a lot of unlikely and entertaining theories about her. As for Ren. Do we see him as a
Solo successor
A pragamatist and survivor who gets pulled into bigger framework because people he cares about risk themselves in necessary but impossible battles?

Old December 24th, 2015, 1:45 am
Member of the Order

About Kylo, I recall that Han mentioned to Leia; "There's so much failure in him."

...hmf...and he seems to have turned out to be a self-pitying loser. That has to be disappointing. Certainly not Vader material, whose prior emotional focus was about love and the inability to deal with loss. Kylo's emotional focus seems more focused upon his own ego. I suspect that his fate will be unlike anything we've seen so far in prior movies.

Old December 24th, 2015, 4:37 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordmundt6 View Post
Which hopefully they release in 2017. Rian Johnson, the guy behind Looper and Brick is the new director. They allowed him access to dailies plotpoints from various script versions of this last one as he built his script.

A completed draft is done, and they've already shot a couple of scenes. Reports indicate that it resumes in March.
That's good news. I hated the idea of having to wait three years or so for the next part. Lord of the Rings has spoiled me into three-part stories shot in one row.

Quote:
And for this whiner we lose a character like Solo and an actor like Ford. Good grief
I think that, as for cool, cocky, super-pilot character, Poe Dameron is Solo's heir. His first words to Kylo Ren are sheer cheek. In any case, Oscar Isaac deserved more screen time.

And, as for the heroine...

My bet is that Rey and Kylo are cousins, she being Luke's daughter. But that's a very obvious choice, and would lead to some "I'm your father" moment, which would feel as a deja vu.

Old December 25th, 2015, 12:31 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MmeBergerac View Post
And, as for the heroine...

My bet is that Rey and Kylo are cousins, she being Luke's daughter. But that's a very obvious choice, and would lead to some "I'm your father" moment, which would feel as a deja vu.
Somehow I don't think so. If Kylo and Rey were cousins, you'd think they'd already know about the other. Luke was training young Jedi when Kylo was led astray and "destroyed everything". I can't see Luke not training his own daughter.

Old December 25th, 2015, 5:57 am
Curse Breaker

Well
She had a flashback of the once and future Ben and his fellow masked drips at what was presumably the Jedi school as he was destroying it. She's been trained a bit--though she seems to have enormous power and control, and Kylo did give her that accidental refresher course. Oops. So she was there, but she was very young. He probably missed her, particularly if she had protection layered around her designed to make him miss her. Could Luke have made a desperate move for his daughter's or at least his prize pupil's safety in the face of an overwhelming attack?

I think it's possible.

Old December 25th, 2015, 7:55 pm
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordmundt6 View Post
Well
She had a flashback of the once and future Ben and his fellow masked drips at what was presumably the Jedi school as he was destroying it. She's been trained a bit--though she seems to have enormous power and control, and Kylo did give her that accidental refresher course. Oops. So she was there, but she was very young. He probably missed her, particularly if she had protection layered around her designed to make him miss her. Could Luke have made a desperate move for his daughter's or at least his prize pupil's safety in the face of an overwhelming attack?

I think it's possible.
My opinion is that when she touched Luke's lightsabre, those were Luke's memories, not her own. She was able to see them because she was already connected to the Force, she could hear it calling; Rey was unaware of her connection, but the sabre could sense it. Anything is possible in Hollywood scriptland I suppose, but let's hope they don't go that route. I plan on seeing the movie again in the next 2 days & will pay close attention for details I may have missed.

Old December 26th, 2015, 3:57 am
Curse Breaker

Yes, most of those are Luke's memories. Of the duel at Cloud City and the aftermath, but there was new audio from Ewan McGregor and Frank Oz...AND there was undoubtedly footage of a very young crying girl at that Jedi School who appeared to be either witnessing the massacre or was being sent away after it. I think the view of Ren with his saber out at the school is supposed to be her memory, not Luke's. Plus...it appears that Luke did not collect that saber after he lost it. It fell into other hands. The cloud city duel is Luke's past, when he lost the weapon. The other memories are most likely hers.

There's been a theory advanced that
Ben/Kylo Solo ends up being Ren's teacher almost by accident. He tries things on her or brags about them. She sees it, it triggers something and she then does it better than he can. Remember the force reading? He pulls things from her to intimidate her and then when he tries to punch through the rest of it, she reads him while trying to protect herself...and it understandably unsettles him. After that exchange, he mentions she needs a teacher in the ways of the Force and she does the mind trick after a little trial and error. She calls the saber to her during the fight, something that Luke spends most of Empire learning how to do in little steps. All that seems to indicate she's either supremely gifted or she had some fairly extensive early training before being dropped on Jakku...or, most probably, both.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion