Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Writer's Corner

CoS Speed Writing Competition 2013

Old April 4th, 2013, 11:57 am
Suteki da ne

Re: CoS Speed Writing Competition 2013

Hi everyone!

I've set up a forum where we can post our speed write submissions, I don't know how long it'll last, but it'll be there for the duration of the competition at least. Feel free to join over there! I'm not trying to take people away from CoS early, I just want to make sure that we still have our submissions to read through when the forum closes.

If people don't agree with this, let me know, but I hope it's OK.

We asked ourselves, "Can we really fight 24 hours?" And the answer was, "We will fight 8,760 hours!"
- Nobuo Uematsu

Last edited by Schlubalybub; April 4th, 2013 at 12:27 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old April 4th, 2013, 1:41 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfasdf17 View Post
Just wanted to let you know, your story already has me hooked! Great intro

So I've got a question which I suppose I'll just post here. Do you guys know any good writing forums? By that I mean like places where writing is truly discussed and dissected and everything. Since CoS forums won't be around anymore (), I've been really wanting to join a writing forum because I find them so useful when working on a story (and keeping motivated!). I'm hoping that CoS forums will be around at least until this contest is over and I'll have you guys to keep me going but I would also like to find another forum that I can start getting familiar with. I've tried the one on NaNoWriMo but didn't really like it and many of the others I've tried were either a) extremely disorganized or b) more focused around posting stories and getting feedback. Thanks!
No, unfortunately, I don't. All the authors I know are looking for a place to discuss the craft, but most of us are only interested in things like marketing, getting reviews, cover design and blurbs.

There are plenty of blogs that can give you writing tips, but don't follow them slavishly, either. You'll see a lot of conflicting advice. For example, Stephen King says adverbs are pernicious weeds and should be rooted out. Okay for his genre, but I write romance and they help with the imagery. I don't go overboard with the -ly type of adverbs, but I do use them because I'm looking for a different mood than King is.

There is a small forum I frequent that's not very busy. If enough of you are interested, I can ask the admin to set up a corner for us to post in. He's my mentor and the one who got me my start. Nice guy.

Glad my story got you hooked. My goal is to get myself hooked in the first few paragraphs so I can let April tell her own story in her own words.

You can plot and outline until you're blue in the face, but then you have to set it aside and let the story flow. You've already absorbed all you need to know when you do the outline and all you need to do after that is let it come out. But don't look at your outline again. If you do, you'll get stuck.

Sorry for the long ramble.

Old April 4th, 2013, 1:54 pm
Suteki da ne

Poo, I forgot the link

http://speedwrite.freeforums.net/index.cgi

We asked ourselves, "Can we really fight 24 hours?" And the answer was, "We will fight 8,760 hours!"
- Nobuo Uematsu

Old April 4th, 2013, 3:21 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlubalybub View Post
So, are we posting here or there?

I have a bunch of stories to edit today and tomorrow, so I won't be posting any wordage for a few days.

Old April 4th, 2013, 6:26 pm
Suteki da ne

Well, I thought we could continue over there- I just don't want the stories to vanish with the forum, and I thought it'd be nice to have them all in one place. If that's OK, anyway

- Nobuo Uematsu

Old April 4th, 2013, 7:50 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Well, I thought we could continue over there- I just don't want the stories to vanish with the forum, and I thought it'd be nice to have them all in one place. If that's OK, anyway
You're the leader. Whatever you decide is fine.

Old April 8th, 2013, 4:13 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfasdf17 View Post
I totally understand how you feel! I've got about four stories on hold and I keep switching between which one I want to work on. I haven't even started writing yet because I changed the story I was going to write and now I need to do more research/outlining for it. I'd recommend that you do a quick plot outline/sketch for each of your stories and maybe that will help you decide which one has the most potential. Or you could write a little of each one everyday and hopefully you'll find the one that appeals to you most? Sometimes I find that works for me. Hope it helps
Looks like we're in the same boat. I'm trying to do the plot sketch, but I'm still having trouble...I really am terrible at this. And I'm afraid of making it completely unrealistic since two of my three in-progress stories are set in an alternate society (for lack of a better term), and I feel like I need to research it, but I don't know where to start. Good luck with yours; I understand your struggles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desraelda View Post
Pick one and stick to it. You really have to immerse yourself in the story, and if you do, the words will come.
That's the hard part. But maybe you guys can help me? I've posted what I have on figment.com, so if anybody would be willing to read a blurb from each of them and tell me which one they like the best, that might choose one to focus on for the contest. Who knows, maybe I'll switch halfway through or pick the one nobody liked, but it might help me anyway. Thanks! Links below.
This Above All
To Sing My Stars
The Quest
Quote:
Know your characters. Write a very brief physical description, personality type, station in life (housewife, student, lawyer). You can expand on that later.

Most importantly, let your characters take you where they will.
This is excellent advice, and it's very effective from my experience. I used to write a lot of fanfiction, and most of my plot advancement came from what I predicted the characters would do since I knew them so well. I just have to work up to the point that I know my characters as well as the characters in other authors' stories so that I can let them lead me.

Quote:
April hated her name.

She hated that she was born in April and named April. She hated April showers and most of all she hated it when someone said, as they inevitably did on meeting her, "April showers bring May flowers."

And yes, her younger, prettier sister was named May. The one they always said was as pretty and sweet as a spring flower. Okay, so May was more than pretty, and wasn't she just the sweetest thing on two legs, but April wasn't exactly the mean, ugly stepsister. She could be sweet when she wanted to.

Hope that helps.
I love it! It's got great voice. Awesome intro; I can't wait to read more!

P.S. I did create an account on the other forums (same username just for convenience's sake). I'm excited to start this contest! But I'm a little confused...how are we posting our submissions? I saw there was a forum for it; do we just post the entire thing at the end of the contest, or are we posting bits at a time as we write it, or just updating our word count...?

Last edited by GrangerHermione; April 8th, 2013 at 4:22 am.
Old April 9th, 2013, 2:36 am
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrangerHermione View Post
That's the hard part. But maybe you guys can help me? I've posted what I have on figment.com, so if anybody would be willing to read a blurb from each of them and tell me which one they like the best, that might choose one to focus on for the contest. Who knows, maybe I'll switch halfway through or pick the one nobody liked, but it might help me anyway. Thanks! Links below.
This Above All
To Sing My Stars
The Quest
Your blurbs are pretty decent.

The first one is New Adult. Very popular genre right now. Might be easier for you to write since you don't have to create a world.

The second one will require a lot of plotting. Sounds interesting but you have to be very creative to do it.

The third one also sounds interesting, but again, I think it will be more difficult for you to stick with.

That's all just off the top of my head. I didn't read the chapters yet. I can probably do that tomorrow and give you a better opinion.

Quote:
This is excellent advice, and it's very effective from my experience. I used to write a lot of fanfiction, and most of my plot advancement came from what I predicted the characters would do since I knew them so well. I just have to work up to the point that I know my characters as well as the characters in other authors' stories so that I can let them lead me.
I let my characters develop on their own and each time a new trait comes up, I add it to the bio. The description is just something quick and dirty to start from. But that's me. Everyone has to develop their own style.

Quote:
I love it! It's got great voice. Awesome intro; I can't wait to read more!
Glad you enjoyed it. It's already finished and published. I've got eight more written in the series and I'm publishing them once a month through November. Twelve in all. I'm working on another twelve book series (three done) and after that will be a six book series. Mostly novelettes and novellas. There are two more full-length novels I want to write and a spinoff series from the series set in WW II.

I also design my own covers and recently redid all the covers for the series April appears in and came up with a new concept for the series I'm working on. Very important that in a series you have a theme for your covers (branding).

Writing the book is just the beginning, and believe me, that's the easy part.

Being a writer these days is very different from what it was even five years ago. But what remains the same is the hard work, the frustration, the emotional ups and downs and the ultimate reward of a fan letter telling you that your work inspired someone. Heady stuff!

Old April 9th, 2013, 3:09 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desraelda View Post
Your blurbs are pretty decent.
You have no idea how much of a boost that little comment gives me. I'm glad you think so. Did you just read the descriptions or the preview or what?
Quote:
The first one is New Adult. Very popular genre right now. Might be easier for you to write since you don't have to create a world.
I didn't know that's what it was called, but I was thinking the same thing about it being easier to write. That's what I'm leaning toward right now because I can write a lot of it based on situations I'm personally familiar with.
Quote:
The second one will require a lot of plotting. Sounds interesting but you have to be very creative to do it.

The third one also sounds interesting, but again, I think it will be more difficult for you to stick with.
Yes...this is my real challenge. Plotting is not my strength. But it's something I want to get better at. So maybe I should challenge myself? Geez I am not good at making up my mind.
Quote:
Glad you enjoyed it. It's already finished and published. I've got eight more written in the series and I'm publishing them once a month through November. Twelve in all. I'm working on another twelve book series (three done) and after that will be a six book series. Mostly novelettes and novellas. There are two more full-length novels I want to write and a spinoff series from the series set in WW II.
I had no idea you were published! That's awesome; what do you need us for? Haha, just kidding. But really, that's awesome. Did you go the self-publishing route, or do you have your own agent and everything? Either way, congratulations! Where can we get a copy of your books?

Quote:
I also design my own covers and recently redid all the covers for the series April appears in and came up with a new concept for the series I'm working on. Very important that in a series you have a theme for your covers (branding).
That's so cool! Can you send us a link so we can see them?
Quote:
Being a writer these days is very different from what it was even five years ago. But what remains the same is the hard work, the frustration, the emotional ups and downs and the ultimate reward of a fan letter telling you that your work inspired someone. Heady stuff!
Definitely. I haven't experienced the rewards or the pains of being a writer yet, but I hope to be headed on that route.

Old April 9th, 2013, 11:33 am
Registered Animagus

Quote:
You have no idea how much of a boost that little comment gives me. I'm glad you think so. Did you just read the descriptions or the preview or what?
Just the descriptions. I'll try to read the previews later today.

Quote:
I didn't know that's what it was called, but I was thinking the same thing about it being easier to write. That's what I'm leaning toward right now because I can write a lot of it based on situations I'm personally familiar with.

Yes...this is my real challenge. Plotting is not my strength. But it's something I want to get better at. So maybe I should challenge myself? Geez I am not good at making up my mind.
I suggest you go the easy route for now. Otherwise, you might get discouraged half way through and not finish. The whole idea of this challenge is to finish something.

My stories are very character driven. I start with a woman and let her tell her story. Everything that happens, happens because of who she is.

Quote:
I had no idea you were published! That's awesome; what do you need us for? Haha, just kidding. But really, that's awesome. Did you go the self-publishing route, or do you have your own agent and everything? Either way, congratulations! Where can we get a copy of your books?
Life has gotten in the way the last month and I haven't been writing much. I need to get back in the zone. This challenge might be just the cattle prod I need.

Yes, I'm self-published, both print and ebooks. I'm on Amazon, B&N, Kobo, Itunes. When I sign up on the our new forum, I'll tell you my name and give you the link. I have 17 romance/women's fiction titles, 2 graphic novels and 9 illustrated children's books. I think that's how many. I've lost track.

I'll see you in the other forum later tonight. This morning, I'm determined to go to Panera for breakfast and write there for two hours. If I don't, feel free to smack me upside the head.

Old April 9th, 2013, 12:39 pm
Suteki da ne

OK, you can post what you've done as an ongoing thing, or you can post it up at the end of the contest- it's up to you, really. I just wanted somewhere where we could share our stuff at the end of the contest, and the end of CoS.

I'll be honest- I haven't started yet. I've been looking after a little doggy for the last week or so, and she's taken up all of my time that hasn't been working or sleeping- I've only sneaked on here because she's asleep at the moment!

- Nobuo Uematsu

Old April 9th, 2013, 1:36 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
OK, you can post what you've done as an ongoing thing, or you can post it up at the end of the contest- it's up to you, really. I just wanted somewhere where we could share our stuff at the end of the contest, and the end of CoS.

I'll be honest- I haven't started yet. I've been looking after a little doggy for the last week or so, and she's taken up all of my time that hasn't been working or sleeping- I've only sneaked on here because she's asleep at the moment!
Poor little puppy. Yes, they do take up a lot of time.

One of my author friends has two huge cats (one of which he put in a techno-thriller trilogy) that tend to sleep on his keyboard when he's trying to work.

This is why I don't try to work at home. McD's, Panera, library. These are my writing places. My mind is so used to it, it's like turning on a switch in my brain when I fire up the netbook.

I'm at Panera writing right now, or I should say, poking at the keyboard. I'm so out of practice. That's why I need this, and I will be posting my word count just to give myself a nudge.

Old April 10th, 2013, 9:59 pm
Zonko's Employee

I must admit I haven't started yet either. A lot of my time is being taken up with my blog when I'm actually home (I'm behind by about 4 reviews now). Hopefully I can get going with it on the weekend.

Episode 18: Ned is sad to hear CoS is closing

My book blog
Old April 10th, 2013, 11:53 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Looks like we're in the same boat. I'm trying to do the plot sketch, but I'm still having trouble...I really am terrible at this. And I'm afraid of making it completely unrealistic since two of my three in-progress stories are set in an alternate society (for lack of a better term), and I feel like I need to research it, but I don't know where to start. Good luck with yours; I understand your struggles.

This Above All
To Sing My Stars
The Quest
I finally picked a story and I'm slowly building the plot. I know the characters pretty well so I'm not too worried about them. The plot is especially difficult because my novel is part of a series so I want to make sure I know which way the series is going.

I read the blurbs for your stories and I loved the second one best! It seems to have the most action and it sounds pretty intense. The third one was interesting because I love the fantasy-quests type stories. The first one caught my eye because reading about a struggling writer is definitely something I can relate to! Good luck with which ever story you choose

Old April 13th, 2013, 7:41 pm
Suteki da ne

I have started! I've written two pages on A4 paper, which I know isn't a lot, but it's a start, seeing as the doggy only went home yesterday. I'm writing in a diary format, so obviously first person...I don't know how good it is, but I have been reading Bridget Jones and Adrian Mole recently so I guess I've been inspired...

- Nobuo Uematsu

Old April 14th, 2013, 3:29 am
Registered Animagus

Quote:
I have started! I've written two pages on A4 paper, which I know isn't a lot, but it's a start, seeing as the doggy only went home yesterday. I'm writing in a diary format, so obviously first person...I don't know how good it is, but I have been reading Bridget Jones and Adrian Mole recently so I guess I've been inspired...
Yay!!

I hope to get back to work tomorrow.

Old April 15th, 2013, 7:22 pm
Zonko's Employee

...still nothing....

My book blog
Old April 15th, 2013, 9:46 pm
Suteki da ne

That's OK Lucy, I only started a few days ago- that's why I decided on the three months instead of one, although maybe that was a little long in hindsight

- Nobuo Uematsu

Old April 16th, 2013, 7:40 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
That's OK Lucy, I only started a few days ago- that's why I decided on the three months instead of one, although maybe that was a little long in hindsight
I don't know, it's certainly more doable than NaNoWriMo

My book blog
Old April 17th, 2013, 9:14 pm
Zonko's Employee

Actually managed to write something today. Only about 450 words, but that's not too bad for 15 minutes

My book blog
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Writer's Corner