Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Writer's Corner

CoS Speed Writing Competition 2013

Old March 25th, 2013, 11:24 am
Suteki da ne

CoS Speed Writing Competition 2013

I am pleased to announce that the CoS speed writing competition will open on Tuesday 2nd April.

The aim is to write between 40000 and 70000 words between 2nd April and 30th June. We will not be counting words (I trust you, I'll take your word for it!), because I am pretty much doing this myself! I will say, if you want to share your story, you can put it into the Novella section, just add CoS Speed Write to the title, so we know what it is.

This isn't about winning as such, it's a test of your writing. A lot of us were discussing how NaNoWriMo seems a bit short timewise for some, so that's why we've got three months to do this!

If you're interested in taking part, post in this thread. Once the contest is launched, you can keep track of your progress here, as well as discussing techniques and well, anything else a writer may need to discuss! It's not a strict competition, either. If you've got a story you're already working on, that's fine to use. If you're a bit short on the word count, that's fine too, because you're still using the time to work on something.

I've never managed to win NaNoWriMo, I lose interest very quickly, because of the 30 day limit, I get stuck and don't know where to go. Hopefully the longer time limit will help with this. I also want to say that this isn't a copy of NaNoWriMo, it's just that the 30 day limit isn't for everyone, so I decided on a longer timescale.

Finally, I just want to thank you all for taking the time to read this, and hopefully be interested in taking part! It's the first time I've done something like this, so I hope it goes well!

Start Date: 2nd April
End Date: 30th June
Suggested Word Count: 40000-70000 words

Any Questions Contact Schlubalybub

Oh, and I'll just add- yes, I am taking part as well as setting this up...

We asked ourselves, "Can we really fight 24 hours?" And the answer was, "We will fight 8,760 hours!"
- Nobuo Uematsu

Last edited by Schlubalybub; March 30th, 2013 at 4:48 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old March 25th, 2013, 6:37 pm
Registered Animagus

Re: CoS Speed Writing Competition 2013

I'm in! This is just what I need to get me started again.

Old March 25th, 2013, 9:51 pm
Third Year

I'm in too! I think I'll be aiming for the 40000 words. Time for me to start outlining my novel!

Old March 25th, 2013, 10:28 pm
Sixth Year

This sounds great! It really helps that it's at the end of school and into the summer for me because it's hard to do all that in November for NaNoWriMo. And the less strict rules also seems great for me because I might wanna keep on with something I've already started on. Thanks for the great motivator, Schlubalybub! I'll definitely try this out!

Old March 27th, 2013, 9:00 am
Suteki da ne

Yesss! I'm so glad that people are interested!

We asked ourselves, "Can we really fight 24 hours?" And the answer was, "We will fight 8,760 hours!"
- Nobuo Uematsu

Old March 28th, 2013, 4:08 pm
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

I'm interested, but April is too soon for me. I'll try to join in May.

Hogsmeade Awards 2013: Voted #1 - Biggest Cat Lover | Voted #2 - Most Creative Member |
Voted #2 - Most Likely to Make a Doctor Who Reference

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!
Old March 30th, 2013, 2:09 am
Registered Animagus

I hope we'll be able to finish our challenge before COS shuts down. I'm heartbroken.

Old March 30th, 2013, 4:47 pm
Suteki da ne

To be honest, I don't know. I'm really hoping we can. Maybe if I change the date to 30th June, that would make more sense?

As you know, I wasn't aware that the site would close when I set up the challenge, but I'm not annoyed about it- the way I see it, our contest could help the site go out with a little bang...not really a big one, but it may help us.

It's sad, yes, but we could let this contest be our swansong. Nothing lasts forever, and I'm still happy to continue with the contest if everyone wants to take part? To be honest, when I first read the announcement, I thought perhaps I'd just abandon it, but why? I love this site, why would I abandon something that I'd set up just because it's closing...perhaps it was a pique of passive aggression. But although I had a little bit of anger when I first found out, I realised that this competition would still fit into the timespan...

So, I'll change the date to the 30th June for ending entries, and perhaps we can put the stories on a different website? I'll look into a free site or something to post the stories (I can't afford a paid site) so that we can share the stories after the site has gone.

Perhaps this post is a bit of a mixed bag...I'm sad and a little angry, not at the site, but at myself. I could have started this months ago, but I didn't. I guess I was scared. Scared that nobody would want something started by me like this. I guess we couldn't forsee this...it's Morgoth's decision, and I stand by that. I just hope that we can see this competition through before we close.

Sorry, this post was a bit self pitying, but I'm still not sure what to make of it. All I want to say is, let the speed writing commence!

- Nobuo Uematsu

Old March 30th, 2013, 10:02 pm
Fourth Year

I'm in! I'm so glad you set this up, Schlubalybub. Though I will be cheating (a little bit) and start the 1st, because that's when Camp NaNo (which seems more relaxed than NaNoWriMo) starts, and I'm planning to participate in that too, with the same story. Someone I met through NaNo is setting up a writing group, which is supposed to start up soon, so this will hopefully be a good spring for writer-me.

Also, I'm glad this is still going to happen.

PS. Let me know if you need any help with the organising. I haven't been very active here lately, but I visit the site almost every day, I just forget to log in...

You get ideas from daydreaming. You get ideas from being bored. You get ideas all the time.
The only difference between writers and other people is we notice when we're doing it.

óNeil Gaiman

Thank you so much, lilyrose, for the lovely avatar and signature pictures!
Old March 30th, 2013, 11:12 pm
Zonko's Employee

I'm in. I managed to finish NaNoWriMo once, but it was when I was stuck at home with a broken leg. Maybe I'll be able to do similar in 3 months!

Episode 18: Ned is sad to hear CoS is closing

My book blog
Old April 1st, 2013, 8:14 pm
Registered Animagus

The stories can be posted on Wattpad for free if anyone wants to do that.

Old April 2nd, 2013, 12:58 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlubalybub View Post
To be honest, I don't know. I'm really hoping we can. Maybe if I change the date to 30th June, that would make more sense?

As you know, I wasn't aware that the site would close when I set up the challenge, but I'm not annoyed about it- the way I see it, our contest could help the site go out with a little bang...not really a big one, but it may help us.

It's sad, yes, but we could let this contest be our swansong. Nothing lasts forever, and I'm still happy to continue with the contest if everyone wants to take part? To be honest, when I first read the announcement, I thought perhaps I'd just abandon it, but why? I love this site, why would I abandon something that I'd set up just because it's closing...perhaps it was a pique of passive aggression. But although I had a little bit of anger when I first found out, I realised that this competition would still fit into the timespan...

So, I'll change the date to the 30th June for ending entries, and perhaps we can put the stories on a different website? I'll look into a free site or something to post the stories (I can't afford a paid site) so that we can share the stories after the site has gone.

Perhaps this post is a bit of a mixed bag...I'm sad and a little angry, not at the site, but at myself. I could have started this months ago, but I didn't. I guess I was scared. Scared that nobody would want something started by me like this. I guess we couldn't forsee this...it's Morgoth's decision, and I stand by that. I just hope that we can see this competition through before we close.

Sorry, this post was a bit self pitying, but I'm still not sure what to make of it. All I want to say is, let the speed writing commence!
I completely understand your mixed feelings. And I think the contest is still a great idea. I'm still busy with school, and that's not likely to cool off until mid to late May when my exams are over. But hopefully I can start writing soon. I'll just do the best I can until I can get some free time. Best of luck to everyone!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desraelda View Post
The stories can be posted on Wattpad for free if anyone wants to do that.
Figment is also an option. My sister is obsessed with it. Although I think it's generally used more for short stories than novels-in-progress.

Old April 2nd, 2013, 6:32 pm
Registered Animagus

Am I first? Yay! I'll start us off.

Had to do a lot of research which cut in to my writing time. A necessary evil, though. Whatever possessed me to make my LL (leading lady) a flight attendant when I haven't flown in a dozen years or more? Today's airline industry is a whole new ball game.

So, bottom line is I did a little over 1K which gave me a total of 2K. The story isn't taking shape yet, but I know the players and the setting at least.

Good luck, everyone. I'm looking forward to seeing your word count even if it's only a couple of sentences.

BTW, I don't write on Wednesday. That's the day I take my Mom shopping and she's a marathon shopper.

Old April 3rd, 2013, 12:17 am
Fourth Year

I haven't had the time to start, because real life decided to be busy. Not sure I'll have time tomorrow either, but on Thursday I do. I have a small head start, because I'm picking up one of my old stories instead of starting completely form scratch. But I need to type it all up, it's all handwritten and I can't do that much any more because of my stupid wrists. I'm not sure how much I have either. We'll see.

You get ideas from daydreaming. You get ideas from being bored. You get ideas all the time.
The only difference between writers and other people is we notice when we're doing it.

óNeil Gaiman

Old April 3rd, 2013, 2:33 am
Registered Animagus

Morning Star, Walgreens has a soft brace with no fingers and a wrist band for about $10. It's almost like a latex glove. Gives you a lot of flexibility and a lot of support. I was a word processor for years and I had to wear one on my right hand all day.

Old April 3rd, 2013, 2:46 am
Fourth Year

I think I'll need to check those out, I imagine they have those or something similar at the local pharmacy. Thank you!

óNeil Gaiman

Old April 3rd, 2013, 5:34 am
Sixth Year

I'm in a small dilemma because I have three stories that each have 2000+ words so far, and I want to use one, but I don't know which to use! The problem is that I am terrible at continuing a plot. I sometimes get the seed of an idea for a story and I write a little bit to go off of it, but I haven't worked out the plot in my mind or it's not something I'm familiar enough with or whatever, so I hit a dead end. I really want to continue one of these stories, but I don't know which one is the best writing or has the best potential for expansion. I feel like I'm stuck on all three--even after barely more than an intro. Because I have ideas, but I don't know where to go with them. GAH!

Old April 3rd, 2013, 11:23 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrangerHermione View Post
I'm in a small dilemma because I have three stories that each have 2000+ words so far, and I want to use one, but I don't know which to use! The problem is that I am terrible at continuing a plot. I sometimes get the seed of an idea for a story and I write a little bit to go off of it, but I haven't worked out the plot in my mind or it's not something I'm familiar enough with or whatever, so I hit a dead end. I really want to continue one of these stories, but I don't know which one is the best writing or has the best potential for expansion. I feel like I'm stuck on all three--even after barely more than an intro. Because I have ideas, but I don't know where to go with them. GAH!
I totally understand how you feel! I've got about four stories on hold and I keep switching between which one I want to work on. I haven't even started writing yet because I changed the story I was going to write and now I need to do more research/outlining for it. I'd recommend that you do a quick plot outline/sketch for each of your stories and maybe that will help you decide which one has the most potential. Or you could write a little of each one everyday and hopefully you'll find the one that appeals to you most? Sometimes I find that works for me. Hope it helps

Old April 4th, 2013, 2:14 am
Registered Animagus

Pick one and stick to it. You really have to immerse yourself in the story, and if you do, the words will come.

Know your characters. Write a very brief physical description, personality type, station in life (housewife, student, lawyer). You can expand on that later.

Most importantly, let your characters take you where they will.

Here's the opening of my latest novella. From the beginning, we know the name of the MC, that she has a sister, and how she's feeling right now. The initial conflict has also been set up in about 500 words. I use italics a lot in this one because April tends to over-dramatize everything.

April hated her name.

She hated that she was born in April and named April. She hated April showers and most of all she hated it when someone said, as they inevitably did on meeting her, "April showers bring May flowers."

And yes, her younger, prettier sister was named May. The one they always said was as pretty and sweet as a spring flower. Okay, so May was more than pretty, and wasn't she just the sweetest thing on two legs, but April wasn't exactly the mean, ugly stepsister. She could be sweet when she wanted to.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Desraelda; April 4th, 2013 at 2:20 am.
Old April 4th, 2013, 2:27 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desraelda View Post
Pick one and stick to it. You really have to immerse yourself in the story, and if you do, the words will come.

Know your characters. Write a very brief physical description, personality type, station in life (housewife, student, lawyer). You can expand on that later.

Most importantly, let your characters take you where they will.

Here's the opening of my latest novella. From the beginning, we know the name of the MC, that she has a sister, and how she's feeling right now.

April hated her name.

She hated that she was born in April and named April. She hated April showers and most of all she hated it when someone said, as they inevitably said on meeting her, "April showers bring May flowers."

And yes, her younger, prettier sister was named May. The one they always said was as pretty and sweet as a spring flower.
Just wanted to let you know, your story already has me hooked! Great intro

So I've got a question which I suppose I'll just post here. Do you guys know any good writing forums? By that I mean like places where writing is truly discussed and dissected and everything. Since CoS forums won't be around anymore (), I've been really wanting to join a writing forum because I find them so useful when working on a story (and keeping motivated!). I'm hoping that CoS forums will be around at least until this contest is over and I'll have you guys to keep me going but I would also like to find another forum that I can start getting familiar with. I've tried the one on NaNoWriMo but didn't really like it and many of the others I've tried were either a) extremely disorganized or b) more focused around posting stories and getting feedback. Thanks!

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Writer's Corner