Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Music (Entertainment)

Eurovision 2013

View Poll Results: Who's your favourite this year?
Albania 0 0%
Austria 0 0%
Armenia 0 0%
Azerbaijan 0 0%
Belarus 0 0%
Belgium 1 33.33%
Bulgaria 0 0%
Croatia 0 0%
Cyprus 0 0%
Denmark 0 0%
Estonia 0 0%
Finland 1 33.33%
France 0 0%
FYR Macedonia 0 0%
Georgia 0 0%
Germany 0 0%
Greece 1 33.33%
Hungary 0 0%
Iceland 0 0%
Ireland 0 0%
Israel 0 0%
Italy 1 33.33%
Latvia 0 0%
Lithuania 0 0%
Malta 2 66.67%
Moldova 0 0%
Montenegro 0 0%
Norway 0 0%
Romania 1 33.33%
Russia 0 0%
San Marino 0 0%
Serbia 0 0%
Slovenia 0 0%
Spain 0 0%
Sweden 0 0%
Switzerland 0 0%
The Netherlands 0 0%
Ukraine 0 0%
United Kingdom 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 7th, 2013, 12:04 pm
Fourth Year

Eurovision 2013

The UK contestant is a bit younger than last years..... Bonnie Tyler - a mere babe in arms at the tender age of 61!

Old March 7th, 2013, 12:19 pm
HighFunctioning Sociopath

Re: Eurovision 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkiedoodle View Post
The UK contestant is a bit younger than last years..... Bonnie Tyler - a mere babe in arms at the tender age of 61!
Yes, but she's a legend.

OK, I don't think UK Eurovision have really thought this through - Eurovision attracts a much younger audience than it did 20 years ago and the advantage you get by fielding a known star is cancelled out if it's a star from years ago that today's 20-somethings haven't heard of. But she's quality.

And I think the real problem last year was not Engelbert, but the song.

Old March 7th, 2013, 12:52 pm

Eurovision 2013

Yes, it's once again time to get excited about the razzle-dazzle of Europe's favourite song contest! You can listen to this year's entries on Eurovision's official website

Use this thread to vote for your favourites (as with the televote in the real thing, I'm allowing you to vote for more than one) and to discuss the songs, the artists, the dance routines, the costumes, as well as broader Eurovision issues.

Previous thread

Old March 7th, 2013, 1:00 pm
She Who Walks Behind

OI, you send Bonnie freaking Tyler? It seems you mean business this year. You have my vote already.

As always I am not satisfied with our choice. It's boring stuff you hear every day on the radio. Some say that it's too similar to Euphoria.

The End of the Dream.
Old April 3rd, 2013, 9:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenshi View Post
OI, you send Bonnie freaking Tyler? It seems you mean business this year. You have my vote already.
The song's a bit meh, though.

There's been huge moaning amongst UK Eurovision fans about the fact that we're one of the few countries in Europe where the public gets no choice over the song or artists - for the last few years, the organisers have chosen for us.

It doesn't hugely bother me - the problem with the talent show format we used to have was that:

(a) it was a deterrent to established stars putting themselves forward. If famous UK singers would agree to take part in Eurovision, that ought in theory to give us a massive advantage, as we have a lot of stars who are world-famous, but they rarely consider doing Eurovision. Morrissey said one year that he'd be prepared to do it, but withdrew the offer when he was told he'd have to appear in a talent show and take his chances against the has-beens and nobodies that also wanted to do it. I think if someone who's a huge name wants to represent the country, it's humiliating to ask them to go through that.

(b) the public chose absolutely rubbish entries. It seemed to be mostly children and middle-aged people voting, and the acts they chose were more appropriate to Eurovision 20 years ago, whereas other countries' acts were being chosen by a 20-something audience.

Trouble is, since we switched from the talent show format to executives choosing the artist behind closed doors, things haven't improved much, or at least not on a consistent basis. Andrew Lloyd-Webbers/Jade Ewens and Blue were good calls, but Engelbert and the Stock-Aitken-Waterman boy were as big a flop as the public choices this system was designed to replace.

Old April 4th, 2013, 11:01 am
Fourth Year

Re: Eurovision 2013

Jade Ewens actually went and promoted her song in Europe before the contest - I have a feeling that not many British acts are willing to do this!

Personally i'd make it a condition of winning something like X Factor - that you have to represent the UK in the following contest....

Old May 1st, 2013, 12:31 pm

Only 14 days to go! Time to check out this year's entries. I'm so excited!

Old May 5th, 2013, 6:21 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

I'd be happy if we get into double figures.

Old May 5th, 2013, 8:17 pm
Fourth Year

I'd settle for not last!

Old May 8th, 2013, 5:42 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Quite frankly, we only have ourselves to blame. We still consider Eurovision to be cheesy campy sillyness, when most of Europe take it way more seriously. The days of wobbly scoreboards and awkward links seem to be well and truly over. Eurovision these days tends to be a very slick production. The competition is much stronger now. Last year, there were at least a dozen songs that would have been worthy winners. The old complaints of political voting and bloc voting is just an excuse. If we keep sending people like Englebert and Bonnie Tyler to the competition, we will keep getting owned.

Old May 8th, 2013, 8:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AldeberanBlack View Post
Quite frankly, we only have ourselves to blame. We still consider Eurovision to be cheesy campy sillyness, when most of Europe take it way more seriously. The days of wobbly scoreboards and awkward links seem to be well and truly over. Eurovision these days tends to be a very slick production. The competition is much stronger now. Last year, there were at least a dozen songs that would have been worthy winners. The old complaints of political voting and bloc voting is just an excuse.
Totally agree. And for those who say that it's impossible for the UK to win because the Eastern Europeans only vote for each other, well, it's amazing how those well-known Eastern European nations of Germany, Norway, Finland and Sweden have all won in recent years! But don't get me started on this...

Quote:
If we keep sending people like Englebert and Bonnie Tyler to the competition, we will keep getting owned.
I don't think Bonnie per se is that bad a choice - she apparently is still very big in some parts of Europe, although probably not with the age group which is now the current Eurovision demographic.

I think the song's a bit rubbish, though.

Old May 12th, 2013, 11:39 pm
She Who Walks Behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melaszka View Post
I don't think Bonnie per se is that bad a choice - she apparently is still very big in some parts of Europe, although probably not with the age group which is now the current Eurovision demographic. I think the song's a bit rubbish, though.
Bonnie Tyler is a legend and I personally like a bunch of her songs and her smokey voice. The song choice is just bad, yes.

I managed to not listen to any song before the semifinal. Go me! I want to watch it without any biases and want to base my vote on the actual life performance. AND I WILL NOT MAKE ANY BETS THIS YEAR. The past years I always, always lost cause my taste in music is not compatible with the rest of Europe... most of the time.

The End of the Dream.
Old May 19th, 2013, 12:19 am
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Denmark win it.

Ireland finish last

UK finish with 23 points

Old May 19th, 2013, 12:55 am

I was really surprised that Finland and Ireland did so badly - I really liked their songs.

I thought Denmark was OK, but I wouldn't have picked it as a winner....but, then again, I rarely pick the winner. I wasn't hugely impressed with Loreen or Lena, either, so it shows how much I know about modern Eurovision tastes.

My favourite songs were Greece, Italy, Romania, Finland, Russia and Ireland, probably in that order, but I thought Azerbaijan had the best staging.

IMO the UK were lucky to do as well as they did.

ETA: Also, is it just me, or was the Belgian guy a clone of a young Simon Le Bon?

Last edited by Melaszka; May 19th, 2013 at 1:04 am.
Old May 19th, 2013, 10:24 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Totally agree. And for those who say that it's impossible for the UK to win because the Eastern Europeans only vote for each other, well, it's amazing how those well-known Eastern European nations of Germany, Norway, Finland and Sweden have all won in recent years! But don't get me started on this...
I do think neighbors tend to vote for each other though and I saw proof of this again last night. My mother and I were watching and we knew which country was going to get points from which country before the results were out. The only surprise was that England didn't give any points to Ireland and that Moldova didn't give Romania 12 points (considering they speak the same language and all). But other than that, was anyone surprised that Scandinavian countries gave each other 8-12 points? I certainly wasn't. That doesn't mean it's impossible for a country without as many "good neighbors" to win, it just has to get some points from almost all jury groups. You can't win just because of political blocs.

Quote:
I thought Denmark was OK, but I wouldn't have picked it as a winner....but, then again, I rarely pick the winner. I wasn't hugely impressed with Loreen or Lena, either, so it shows how much I know about modern Eurovision tastes.
I wasn't impressed either, I thought it strange that Europe basically chose the same winner as last year but younger and blonder. Barefoot woman, looking like a hippie- not so different from Loreen. And next year the great show will be... ten minutes away from where it was this year

Really, I think the media plays a huge part in who the winner is. Denmark was considered a favorite and so was Sweden and they both won. I think the whole hype around some songs influences voters a lot, some songs just get more promoted than others and I think this sways the vote in their favor. If it were up to me, I wouldn't allow any media coverage about the songs themselves before the votes. Nothing about whom people bet on, who is the most downloaded song on iTunes or most listened to on Spotify.

Old May 19th, 2013, 11:10 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sereena View Post
I wasn't impressed either, I thought it strange that Europe basically chose the same winner as last year but younger and blonder. Barefoot woman, looking like a hippie- not so different from Loreen.
It was a very different song, though. It's never a good idea to enter a carbon copy of the previous year's winner (yes, I am looking at you, Germany!).

Quote:
Really, I think the media plays a huge part in who the winner is. Denmark was considered a favorite and so was Sweden and they both won. I think the whole hype around some songs influences voters a lot, some songs just get more promoted than others and I think this sways the vote in their favor. If it were up to me, I wouldn't allow any media coverage about the songs themselves before the votes. Nothing about whom people bet on, who is the most downloaded song on iTunes or most listened to on Spotify.
I'd like it if the songs were first revealed on the night, but the media doesn't always sway the voting, e.g. Finland was hotly tipped to do well this year, but finished second bottom. And a couple of years ago, Kati Wolff for Hungary was hyped as a potential winner, but finished well down the table.

Old May 19th, 2013, 3:50 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

I liked Loreen, Lena and the girl last night. A cute girl singing is always a plus. More so if she's barefoot. As for our entry, I can only conclude that the BBC don't want to really win Eurovision, given the expense of hosting it. That's the only explanation for why we keep sending songs that really don't stand a chance. We struggle to get to the left side of the scoreboard, let alone actually winning. I'm disappointed with Ireland too. They used to send great songs, but since about 1996 they seem to have just given up.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Music (Entertainment)