Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Draco Malfoy: Character Analysis v.2

Old July 1st, 2013, 5:06 pm
Banned

Re: Draco Malfoy: Character Analysis v.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by leah49 View Post
Who?
Well Draco had a pureblood father who didn't mind plotting the deaths of schoolchildren to make political points. Daggerstone can only mean Lucius IMO. I myself don't love to hate him, I'm content just to despise him and his son.

Sponsored Links
Old July 1st, 2013, 6:12 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsJPotter View Post
Well Draco had a pureblood father who didn't mind plotting the deaths of schoolchildren to make political points. Daggerstone can only mean Lucius IMO. I myself don't love to hate him, I'm content just to despise him and his son.
Daggerstone mentioned a "little pureblood" with biased views. I'm guessing that's either James Potter or Ron.

Old July 1st, 2013, 6:32 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowSonic View Post
Daggerstone mentioned a "little pureblood" with biased views. I'm guessing that's either James Potter or Ron.
or Sirius

Regulus, my favourite character who made the right choice, to fight Voldemort at the cost of his own life. But he's just a character invented by JK Rowling.

'You wouldn't wage war against me if I believed that the moon was made of Cheese, yet some people would if I believed in the wrong God.' Me
Old July 1st, 2013, 8:46 pm
Sixth Year

Bellatrix? The phrase "we know and love to hate" suggests someone everyone agrees is a JK Rowling villain.

"UNTIL THE VERY END"
-- JK Rowling to Harry Potter fans at the beginning of Deathly Hallows, and James Potter to his son at the end of Deathly Hallows.
Old July 1st, 2013, 8:56 pm
HighFunctioning Sociopath

Let's stop playing "Guess who Daggerstone meant" and get back to the topic

Old July 1st, 2013, 9:04 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

Quote:
Unless I'm very mistaken I don't believe Draco's father was in Gryffindor. I'm not sure any Malfoy was in Gryffindor, though that's not actually said anywhere. I wonder what Draco would think if he found out he had an ancestor in Gryffindor.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Old July 1st, 2013, 9:25 pm
Banned

Quote:
Unless I'm very mistaken I don't believe Draco's father was in Gryffindor. I'm not sure any Malfoy was in Gryffindor, though that's not actually said anywhere. I wonder what Draco would think if he found out he had an ancestor in Gryffindor.
It's hard to imagine, isn't it? But just maybe his son could have been a Gryffindor. After all Rowling did say he was an improvement over his father.

Old July 1st, 2013, 10:31 pm
Third Year

Quote:
It's hard to imagine, isn't it? But just maybe his son could have been a Gryffindor. After all Rowling did say he was an improvement over his father.
To be honest that's not saying much for Scorpius at all. I expect him to have all his father's traits except he'd be a lot less vocal about his prejudices unlike his father

Old July 2nd, 2013, 9:26 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRW View Post
To be honest that's not saying much for Scorpius at all. I expect him to have all his father's traits except he'd be a lot less vocal about his prejudices unlike his father
Oh I don't know, I'm not a great one for visiting the sins of the father onto the son. I'm sure Scorpius could very well turn out to have the quatlities of a Gryffindor. He could hardly be worse than his father and grandfather.

Old July 2nd, 2013, 9:43 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Oh I don't know, I'm not a great one for visiting the sins of the father onto the son. I'm sure Scorpius could very well turn out to have the quatlities of a Gryffindor. He could hardly be worse than his father and grandfather.
Except for the most part Scorpius would only be exposed to his fathers and grand fathers attitudes all his life. It takes a strong person to be able to break that kind of indoctrination and that is not a quality that Malfoy's seem to have.

Old July 3rd, 2013, 11:19 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerCat1 View Post
Except for the most part Scorpius would only be exposed to his fathers and grand fathers attitudes all his life. It takes a strong person to be able to break that kind of indoctrination and that is not a quality that Malfoy's seem to have.
Again that seems to be judging the son by the father. After all Sirius was a fine man who did not follow his family's beliefs. Scorpius may well be the Malfoy's Sirius. He could hardly follow a better man unless he followed James' example of how to live a worthwhile life.

Old July 3rd, 2013, 12:24 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Again that seems to be judging the son by the father. After all Sirius was a fine man who did not follow his family's beliefs. Scorpius may well be the Malfoy's Sirius. He could hardly follow a better man unless he followed James' example of how to live a worthwhile life.
Except the Black's seemed to be a lot mentally tougher than the Malfoy's.

Old July 3rd, 2013, 1:36 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerCat1 View Post
Except the Black's seemed to be a lot mentally tougher than the Malfoy's.
But Scorpius is descended from the Black's as well. We don't know what kind of beliefs he has. Maybe he grew up thinking his Grandmother's brothers were heroes.

Old July 3rd, 2013, 2:14 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
But Scorpius is descended from the Black's as well. We don't know what kind of beliefs he has. Maybe he grew up thinking his Grandmother's brothers were heroes.
Most people get their initial ethics from their parents. Scorpius would not have been exposed to other viewpoints.

Old July 3rd, 2013, 4:51 pm
Sixth Year

And also, the Blacks' weren't pureblood fanatics to the same degree the Malfoys were (at least Sirius' parents weren't) and Sirius wasn't an only child meaning he didn't have 100% of their attention focused on him all the time.

The Malfoys very much were that fanatical, and Scorpius is an only child meaning he got 100% of their attention.

Old July 3rd, 2013, 8:02 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowSonic View Post
And also, the Blacks' weren't pureblood fanatics to the same degree the Malfoys were (at least Sirius' parents weren't) and Sirius wasn't an only child meaning he didn't have 100% of their attention focused on him all the time.

The Malfoys very much were that fanatical, and Scorpius is an only child meaning he got 100% of their attention.
Good point about Sirius being the only child but I am not sure about the Malfoy's being more fanatical than the blacks

Old July 3rd, 2013, 8:59 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

Quote:
True, but that's not an ancestor.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Old July 3rd, 2013, 9:19 pm
Banned

Quote:
True, but that's not an ancestor.
Well I did say that it would be hard to imagine a Gryffindor ancestor. But it's not outside the realm of possibility that he could have a Gryffindor descendant, his son for instance.

Old July 8th, 2013, 10:49 pm
Snidget of Champions

Quote:
Quote:
I agree with this perspective. It would be incredibly unfair to assign to Scorpius the same supremacist, bullying, narrow-minded attitude of his father and grandfather. While I would certainly agree with the notion that one's surroundings while growing up ("nurture") play a huge role in shaping the individual, we do have a clear example (plus more) of a child rebelling against his parents' mania: Sirius. I think this gets into the nature v. nurture debate a bit: how does someone like Sirius come to reject his parents' way of life? Is he just born that way, or is it exposure to other viewpoints, his own intelligence finding flaws in the parents' world, etc.?

Now, I don't mean this discussion to revolve around Sirius. Rather, I'm just using Sirius as an outline for Scorpius. In a household - presumably like the Malfoys' - so steeped in hate, discrimination, and self-worth, how would Scorpius escape the same fate as Draco, Lucius, Regulus, Bellatrix, etc.? Here's what JKR said:
Bloomsbury Web Chat, 2007Stephval: Is scorpius as misguided as his father, or has draco improved and taught his child(ren) better

J.K. Rowling: Scorpius has a lot going against him, not least that name. However, I think Scorpius would be an improvement on his father, whom misfortune has sobered!

I think there are myriad factors that play into it (above fieldset), but - to bring this back to Draco - I wonder if that presumed household is accurate. How did Draco change after the Battle of Hogwarts? In what sort of household was Scorpius raised? Based on JKR's words, I imagine that Draco "sobered" a bit and would not have been as committed to his pure-blood mania as Lucius. But throughout the series Draco appeared to me as a boy who spouted his parents' (especially his father's) views but never truly invested himself in them. It's not just a case of "talk the talk, walk the walk," but a deeper understanding of oneself. I don't think Draco truly looked inside himself to see what he actually believed: did he believe in pure-blood supremacy, or was that just his father talking? I imagine that Draco more or less convinced himself that he believed what he was saying, but he didn't understand this taken on philosophy until HBP. In HBP we see a shattering of Draco's world, and I think all of his stress and failure welcomed a bit of an enlightenment: he realized that he didn't know his own self. By DH I don't think he was much better. By the time he was raising Scorpius, I wonder if he had developed his own (slightly less radical) philosophy and brought up his son under that.

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Old July 9th, 2013, 1:32 am
Sixth Year

There's also his wife's influence. We don't know anything about the Greengrasses except that they were Slytherins and probably a rich family themselves.

The Slytherins didn't get a good showing for themselves throughout the series, but it's possible that Astoria and her family weren't pureblood fanatics and she might've been a good influence on Scorpius too.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies