Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Draco Malfoy: Character Analysis v.2

Old June 19th, 2013, 1:44 pm
Professor Snape's Most Favored House Elf

Re: Draco Malfoy: Character Analysis v.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daggerstone View Post
Fanaticism? At the age of 11? Do we have a quote to support this or are we just posting for the sake of it?
Both James and Draco came to school parroting the beliefs of their parents. 11-year-olds, while they may have a basic knowledge of right from wrong, are still highly influenced by their environments. IMO, Draco had been raised to believe he was superior because he was pureblood. He didn't know anything else, and, as most kids, enjoyed the "leverage" this gave him over half-bloods and Muggle-borns. I don't see that as being a fanatic, just being a spoiled brat.

Quote:
IMO, we don't have canon evidence that pureblood bigots who weren't DEs were ever privy to his plans for death and destruction, so the decision would have been made on propaganda alone. And we do NOT have canon evidence that it consisted of freel-for-all torture/killing/destroying sessions.
What we seem to see from the first rise to power of LV were disappearances and individuals being killed. There aren't any stories of rounding up whole groups and torturing or killing them. Voldemort was good at sewing seeds of fear and distrust among the wizarding community. In the second takeover, Draco seemed to see his being "chosen" by Voldemort as a chance to redeem his father's name and didn't realize, until it was too late, that he was just being used. I'm not sure he even understood that it was just punishment for Lucius because of his failure. His later actions, as despicable as they were, IMO, were more self-preservation than "fanaticism."

Quote:
You mean the way Hagrid makes a complete judgement on 1/4 of Hogwarts' population in the very same book based on the name of their house?
Good point. And, evidently, Hagrid wasn't the only one who felt that way.

I held you in my arms, although I knew that death
Had already taken you. I held you close, hoping for a faint heartbeat or breath
To prove me wrong.
But, you were still, and could not hear or see
My grief, my tears, my heartbreak knowing that the rest of my life would be
Spent without you.
Sponsored Links
Old June 19th, 2013, 3:24 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
You mean the way Hagrid makes a complete judgement on 1/4 of Hogwarts' population in the very same book based on the name of their house?
Not sure what you mean. What does Hagrid say that makes you think this? I don't remember Hagrid asking anyone their House, and then declaring that individual's value based on that. Can you elaborate?

"UNTIL THE VERY END"
-- JK Rowling to Harry Potter fans at the beginning of Deathly Hallows, and James Potter to his son at the end of Deathly Hallows.

Last edited by OldMotherCrow; June 19th, 2013 at 3:28 pm. Reason: possessive, not plural!
Old June 19th, 2013, 5:33 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMotherCrow View Post
Not sure what you mean. What does Hagrid say that makes you think this? I don't remember Hagrid asking anyone their House, and then declaring that individual's value based on that. Can you elaborate?
Could this be because Hagrid knows the students who became Death Eaters? Every one of them except Peter (that nobody knew about except Voldemort) was a Slytherin. Now Hagrid never said every Slytherin was a DeathEater, just that all the DeathEaters that he did know about was a Slytherin. There is a difference there so maybe Daggerstone didn't mean that statement, I mean she couldn't because Hagrid doesn't condemn every Slytherin, I don't think he condemned anybody truthfully. But only Daggerstone can answer.

Old June 19th, 2013, 6:14 pm
Sixth Year

Well, at least in Hagrid's case we can rationalize that he has some personal reasons for being biased against Slytherins given what happened between him and Tom Riddle.

Old June 19th, 2013, 8:32 pm
Splendide Mendax

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMotherCrow View Post
“And what are Slytherin and Hufflepuff?”
“School houses. There’s four. Everyone says Hufflepuff are a lot o’ duffers, but —”
“I bet I’m in Hufflepuff,” said Harry gloomily.
“Better Hufflepuff than Slytherin,” said Hagrid darkly. “There’s not a single witch or wizard who went bad who wasn’t in Slytherin. You-Know-Who was one.”
(PS, Ch 5 "Diagon Alley")

So my bad - Hagrid actually made a judgement on half the Hogwarts population based on their house alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsJPotter View Post
Could this be because Hagrid knows the students who became Death Eaters?
He does? And he never said a word to Dumbledore/Order/the Ministry about it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsJPotter View Post
Every one of them except Peter (that nobody knew about except Voldemort) was a Slytherin.
So we can prove Dolohov, Karkaroff, Rowle and Crouch Jr were Slytherins without bending canon like a pretzel?

But back to Draco... IMO he was a rich, pampered prat at 11 - nothing more and nothing less. He simply took for granted and parroted back his family's beliefs about one house/lifestyle being better than the others - not unlike another little pureblood we know and love to hate.

Old June 19th, 2013, 9:02 pm
Ordo Lebes

Quote:
Fanaticism? At the age of 11? Do we have a quote to support this or are we just posting for the sake of it?
Well a mere year later he was openly laughing at the idea of "mudbloods" being killed at school, and by fourth year was threatening the same to Hermione in the woods at the World Cup. Parroting his parent's views only goes so far, and at some point people become accountable for their beliefs and actions, and Draco seems to have always been pretty fanatical about his own. People can think for themselves at that age; Sirius is a good example of that. His family were even more fanatical than the Malfoys and he didn't accept their beliefs.

Quote:
IMO, we don't have canon evidence that pureblood bigots who weren't DEs were ever privy to his plans for death and destruction, so the decision would have been made on propaganda alone. And we do NOT have canon evidence that it consisted of freel-for-all torture/killing/destroying sessions.
Are you referring to the first war? In Philosopher's Stone, in 1981 Dumbledore said that they'd had precious little to celebrate about in 11 years, which implies Voldemort had started his reign of terror in 1970 or so; and in DH we learn that by 1975/1976, people were already referring to Voldemort as You-Know-Who, which means Voldemort couldn't have been hiding his actions behind propaganda if the whole Wizarding World was too afraid of him to even speak his name. Most known Death Eaters like Lucius would've joined up around or after that point, so I can't imagine they were somehow mislead about what Voldemort was up to while the rest of the wizarding world was cowering in fear.

By the time Draco joined up he obviously knew what the Death Eaters were all about, yet still thought it was something to brag about.

Quote:
Hagrid never made a judgement about a fourth of the Hogwarts population; he stated that every known dark witch or wizard came from Slytherin, and as far as he knew that was pretty much true. We know of a few non-Slytherins who went bad but Hagrid didn't know of them. He believed Sirius to be evil, but Sirius probably wasn't brought up because that storyline was for PoA.

There's still a world of difference between disliking a house based on its history of abuse and discrimination and disliking a house because one thinks they're "lame". Slytherin was founded primarily to prevent muggleborn students from having an education, and so the house had few (if any) muggleborns in its entire run, and even in CoS their common room password was "pureblood". It's not hard to imagine muggleborns would feel discriminated against by that house, even if the majority of its students didn't espouse those views. Judging every Slytherin as evil because of their house's history is unfair, but I honestly can't recall a single character believing that all Slytherins were bad. Ron, Hermione and James all said they'd rather go home than be in Slytherin... but saying you don't want to be part of a house formed on bigotry is different than judging all students in said house.

Believe me. I never betrayed James and Lily. I would have died before I betrayed them.
Old June 20th, 2013, 3:05 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
“And what are Slytherin and Hufflepuff?”
“School houses. There’s four. Everyone says Hufflepuff are a lot o’ duffers, but —”
“Better Hufflepuff than Slytherin,” said Hagrid darkly. “There’s not a single witch or wizard who went bad who wasn’t in Slytherin. You-Know-Who was one.”

So my bad - Hagrid actually made a judgement on half the Hogwarts population based on their house alone.
So what's in your cup? Tea? Coffee? Hot chocolate? Chai? Personally, I prefer coffee, or a nice ceylon, which shouldn't be relaxing considering all the caffeine, but there you go.

Hagrid doesn't say Slytherins are Dark Wizards (and what he says about Hufflepuff is "people say" this about them, and "but--", which he never gets to finish; not "I think" and "that's final"), Hagrid says that witches and wizards who go bad were in Slytherin. Seems to me that Hagrid does have a problem with Slytherin House-- as an organization with principles that he finds dubious, and which help contribute to wizards going Dark. I tend to think this is because of Tom Riddle, who was concurrently a Dark Wizard and a Slytherin Prefect. It is perfectly possible to my mind to object to an organization for its principles, without necessarily despising its members, especially if the principles are are seen to lead some of the members of that organization to a bad place. (<= You can see this cup but it is only for show, kinda like air guitar, pure fantasy, because it is way too late here for caffeine.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyDreamsOn View Post
Judging every Slytherin as evil because of their house's history is unfair, but I honestly can't recall a single character believing that all Slytherins were bad. Ron, Hermione and James all said they'd rather go home than be in Slytherin... but saying you don't want to be part of a house formed on bigotry is different than judging all students in said house.
Exactly what I was thinking. Each House comes with a long standing history about what it means to be a member of that House, reiterated each year by the Sorting Hat, in case anyone forgets or doesn't know. Each House comes with traits that are associated with it, and if a character in the books doesn't want to be associated with those traits it seems reasonable that they would not want to be put into that House. I think Draco's objection to Hufflepuff House tells me about the sort of traits that Draco disdains, and doesn't want to have associated with him.

"UNTIL THE VERY END"
-- JK Rowling to Harry Potter fans at the beginning of Deathly Hallows, and James Potter to his son at the end of Deathly Hallows.
Old June 20th, 2013, 4:16 am
Keeper of the Mignon Eggs

Don't forget that while the printed word is canon, our individual interpretations of it are our own and thus not canon. So I'm not sure I get what exactly this argument is about.

Anyway this thread is not about Hagrid and you will all now kindly leave him out of this thread and address each others with kindness and respect, please.

We still do have the sin bin lest anyone forgot.

Old June 20th, 2013, 5:00 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
He simply took for granted and parroted back his family's beliefs about one house/lifestyle being better than the others - not unlike another little pureblood we know and love to hate.
I'm assuming you're referring to Ron?

It's kind of funny, but someone did a very good job of showing me that Draco and Ron actually do work far better as counterparts than Harry and Draco ever did.

Old June 21st, 2013, 7:16 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowSonic View Post
I'm assuming you're referring to Ron?

It's kind of funny, but someone did a very good job of showing me that Draco and Ron actually do work far better as counterparts than Harry and Draco ever did.
Had James Potter been in the same cohort as Draco Malfoy, they would have been very good counterparts and very fierce rivals, a bit like Ron and Draco but a bit different.

Regulus, my favourite character who made the right choice, to fight Voldemort at the cost of his own life. But he's just a character invented by JK Rowling.

'You wouldn't wage war against me if I believed that the moon was made of Cheese, yet some people would if I believed in the wrong God.' Me
Old June 22nd, 2013, 4:15 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegulusBlackFan View Post
Had James Potter been in the same cohort as Draco Malfoy, they would have been very good counterparts and very fierce rivals, a bit like Ron and Draco but a bit different.
The major difference would be that James would have money and personal renown to back up his battle with Malfoy. Ron works in that he and Draco are almost mirror images of each other on some surface levels, exact mirrors in some ways (distinct appearances, purebloods from known families, some close-minded ideas and ways of doing things) and polar opposites in other ways (views on Muggleborns and other creatures like House Elves and stuff, ideology, sides of the war, etc).

I always found them far better as adversaries/counterparts than Draco and Harry, who have very little in common in terms of character or rivalries.

Old June 22nd, 2013, 9:49 am
Second Year

Quote:
The major difference would be that James would have money and personal renown to back up his battle with Malfoy. Ron works in that he and Draco are almost mirror images of each other on some surface levels, exact mirrors in some ways (distinct appearances, purebloods from known families, some close-minded ideas and ways of doing things) and polar opposites in other ways (views on Muggleborns and other creatures like House Elves and stuff, ideology, sides of the war, etc).

I always found them far better as adversaries/counterparts than Draco and Harry, who have very little in common in terms of character or rivalries.
Had Harry been raised by his parents however, Harry could have been more like a counterpart to Draco with the exception of blood status.

Regulus, my favourite character who made the right choice, to fight Voldemort at the cost of his own life. But he's just a character invented by JK Rowling.

'You wouldn't wage war against me if I believed that the moon was made of Cheese, yet some people would if I believed in the wrong God.' Me
Old June 22nd, 2013, 2:14 pm
Banned

Quote:
=Daggerstone;6073614]“And what are Slytherin and Hufflepuff?”

I'll reply in Hagrids thread.

Quote:
But back to Draco... IMO he was a rich, pampered prat at 11 - nothing more and nothing less. He simply took for granted and parroted back his family's beliefs about one house/lifestyle being better than the others - not unlike another little pureblood we know and love to hate.
I can't think of who you can mean in this statement. After all no one else sank to the depths of actually trying to murder anyone barring Tom Riddle with Myrtle, except Draco. Draco did his level best to murder Dumbledore and he severely injured three innocent people in those murder attempts., Ron, Katie, and Rosemerta. Draco should have spent time in a criminal facility for those crimes. It's not as if he did anything to make up for his criminal behaviour. James at least made up for his bad behaviour when he saved Snape's life, but Draco did nothing like that. Not even at Malfoy Manor. All he did there was mumble something about not being sure. He sure as heck did nothing proactive like going into a small tunnel and saving someone life.

Last edited by MsJPotter; June 22nd, 2013 at 2:33 pm.
Old June 22nd, 2013, 7:11 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegulusBlackFan View Post
Had Harry been raised by his parents however, Harry could have been more like a counterpart to Draco with the exception of blood status.
Oh yeah, I get that.

But as is, Ron and Draco's personalities and their positions in life make them work better as mirror-opposites/counterparts than Harry and Draco.

Old June 23rd, 2013, 11:12 pm
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Oh yeah, I get that.

But as is, Ron and Draco's personalities and their positions in life make them work better as mirror-opposites/counterparts than Harry and Draco.
Personally, I don't see Draco as having any "mirror opposites/counterparts" in the series. The way I look at it, only Harry and Voldemort were close to that role. Draco's position in life is dramatically different than Ron's, with the Malfoys having both money and influence. The Weasleys had neither. Draco was a self-serving, spoiled kid; Ron was easy-going (except when worrying about matching his brothers).

....I miss David Tennant....
Old June 24th, 2013, 1:06 am
Snidget of Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedwigOwl View Post
Personally, I don't see Draco as having any "mirror opposites/counterparts" in the series. The way I look at it, only Harry and Voldemort were close to that role. Draco's position in life is dramatically different than Ron's, with the Malfoys having both money and influence. The Weasleys had neither. Draco was a self-serving, spoiled kid; Ron was easy-going (except when worrying about matching his brothers).
With the examples you outlined, I think it is understandable how one can perceive Ron and Draco as mirror opposites. Whereas Harry and Voldemort have striking similarities with notable, pivotal divergences, Draco and Ron are much more polarized from the outset. I think of a mirror opposite as truly opposite: when you raise your left hand, your mirror reflection raises his right hand. When you tilt to the left, the reflection tilts to the right. Is this not how Draco and Ron are described? Draco had enormous wealth, Ron stark poverty. Draco, an only child - Ron, one of seven. Draco, a Slytherin and pure-blood supremacist - Ron, a Gryffindor and Muggle-born/Muggle defender. I see these aspects of the characters as not only divergent, but truly opposite or reverse.

Of course, I understand why one may not consider them mirror opposites - and I'd tend to agree. I think that idiom implies some sort of connectedness - just like the connectedness you have with your reflection. So, instead, I would connect Ron and Draco more as polar opposites: characters that are completely opposite from the outset - like good-evil, black-white, etc. Whereas Harry and Voldemort had commonality that allowed them to understand each other (Harry understanding more, of course), Ron and Draco are written almost devoid of any common ground in terms of background and choices.

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Old June 24th, 2013, 2:10 am
Sixth Year

Here's the write-up that convinced me of the Ron/Draco thing. It's a bit lengthy.

It was also written before "Deathly Hallows".

It was about 3 pages on a Word Processor, so be warned:

"Both boys are pureblood and come from prominent families, in the sense that both families have done big things to make their mark on the world, and everyone knows who they are.

Both boys have a very distinct look that, on sight, identifies them as either a Malfoy or a Weasley.

Both boys are extremely loyal to their families; to them, family is the most important thing of all. Neither boy will suffer insults to his family, and both boys will act on that loyalty to their family when they deem it necessary, up to and including taking huge risks for their family. This is true regardless of the cause for which each boy stands: Draco might have sided with Voldemort, but he kept going in his plans not out of loyalty to Voldemort, but out of a desire to save the lives of his parents. Draco joined the Death Eaters to avenge his father, too. Ron, meanwhile, has rejected Percy, because Percy chose the Ministry, the institution that betrayed Arthur.

Both boys are very opinionated and quickly form judgments about other people. Just as Draco turns up his nose at Ron for being poor, Ron decides at once that Slytherins as a whole are bad news and not to be trusted.

Both boys have grown up with certain preconceived notions about things. BOTH Ron and Draco have grown up believing that house elves are not only supposed to serve wizards, it is where they want to be. Both Ron and Draco have grown up being told that giants are savage and werewolves are dangerous. Both boys, too, have grown up to regard certain types of people with, if not distrust and wariness, then skepticism. For all Ron's openmindedness about accepting Muggles and Muggleborns, he is very clueless about that world and tends to automatically assume that the wizard way is best.

All that said, there is a very clear and obvious difference here, and that is that Ron is open-minded, and Draco is not. Ron is deeply aware of his culture, and yet he does not slavishly follow its conventions--he is very capable of learning something new and accepting or at least considering new ideas. This is a basic strength of character within Ron that Draco completely lacks: because Draco is weak-willed, he clings to the status quo. He has been taught to fear change, to fear differences, to fear "the other" (Muggleborns). Ron, however, has been taught to accept change and has learned the value of "the other". Whereas Draco sees Muggleborns "tainting" the purity of the wizard race, Ron has been taught that in fact, Muggles and Muggleborns are what is keeping the wizarding race from dying out completely. Ron has certain prejudices, yes, but they are not borne out of fear or weakness, so much as inexperience. Being strong-willed and open-minded and growing up in a family of strong-willed, open-minded parents has allowed Ron to modify some of his more old-fashioned ideas. Ron, in other words, LEARNS, and accepts change and differences not as something to be feared, but as something to accept and even embrace.

Rather than assume that all house elves are the same as a species, Ron has learned, in meeting Dobby, Winky and Kreacher, that each house elf is unique and might desire a different situation for himself. Ron's ideas on giants have changed because of knowing Hagrid; Ron's ideas on werewolves have changed because of knowing Lupin. That doesn't mean that Ron believes all werewolves are wonderful--Greyback obviously showed just how evil a werewolf can be. Rather, Ron has been able to adapt his cultural knowledge--the knowledge he has gained growing up in an all-wizard culture and an all-wizard family--to a more open-minded reality.

Draco does not have this strength of character--and it IS a strength of character to be able to look at one's culture and question its long-held conventions. Draco wants the status quo--or rather, a version of a status quo in which purebloods are on top--because he has never been taught to be comfortable with change; he has never been taught to share; he has never been taught that the world is not his for the taking. Draco's racism, too, is entirely borne out of his deep-seated fear of change, which has been instilled by his parents. Whereas Ron--who was never racist, I emphasize, but simply ignorant--has kept an open mind and is willing to modify a lot of his preconceived notions--Draco cannot, because to do so is to concede to Draco's single biggest fear: that of change.

Along those lines, the financial situations of the boys' famililes obviously play a role. Ron has, it must be admitted, a materialistic streak in him that is common among kids who've grown up with nothing but hand-me-downs and who have faced the cruelty of kids who make fun of them for being poor. That said, Ron's upbringing and his own strength of character have allowed him to temper his desire for riches, for STUFF, by recognizing that having stuff doesn't necessarily make one a better person or make one happier. After all, Ron's best friend is very rich, and Harry's money hasn't done much of anything to make him happy in life. Ron will, I'm guessing, always desire nice things and will probably fret about his financial status in some small fashion, but he has the strength of character and the maturity--especially now--to place those materialistic desires in the proper, healthy context.

Draco is also materialistic, but his materialism comes about for the opposite reason: he's never wanted for anything. His parents spoil him rotten. He really CAN'T place materialism in a healthy context because he was never given a healthy context with which to appreciate the fine things he is given. Indeed, all his life he's been taught to EXPECT nothing but the best. Whereas Ron could learn, on his own--as he did--to put the value of THINGS in a proper context (again, because of Ron's strength of character), the only way Draco could learn to appreciate what he has is if he were to lose all of it. In other words, Ron needed only to grow up in order to develop greater maturity about money and materialism; Draco, having never been taught to appreciate anything but rather to EXPECT everything, would have to face a much more drastic set of circumstances for him to develop the strength of character to place materialism in a healthy context.

Ultimately what the difference between Ron and Draco boils down to is one of character, or more correctly, strength of character. Ron is strong-willed, Draco weak. Ron is open-minded and adaptible, Draco is rigid and conforming.

If you REALLY want to break it down even further, it comes to the fact that Ron is growing up, and Draco is stagnating. Even Draco's greater character development in HBP and his growing cleverness (the kid CAN do Occlumency well enough to fool Snape, and he managed to fix that Vanishing Cabinet) cannot take away from the fact that his choices have all been the weak-willed choices of a young man who is unable to accept change, unwilling to accept that his worldview is unsustainable. Draco's racism, I think it is important to note, is not rooted in hatred but in fear. In other words, Draco has not gone through life simply hating Muggleborns; he's been taught to fear them, and the "blood traitors" who support them, because "those people" are all agents of the changes in society that people like the Malfoys cannot accept. Fear is a short distance to hatred, of course, but at the very base of Draco's racism is a FEAR of the other, a fear taken to paranoid, dangerous extremes.

Another point: a lot of Draco fans have tended to ascribe Draco's behavior to abuse by his parents. In one sense this is true, at least as far as JKR is concerned, for she does believe that spoiling a child is a form of abuse. But it is NOT abuse in the sense that Draco has been beaten or raped or otherwise hugely traumatized. Rather, the abuse--and I wonder if abuse is not too strong a word, myself--of Draco's parents is that they taught him to be afraid and to hate. They might love their son, they might even risk all for their son (Narcissa certainly seems to dote on Draco, at any rate), but their own fear and the hatred that blooms from that fear have completely overpowered their ability to teach Draco anything healthy about love, and what it truly means to love and be loved. Draco loves his parents, of that I have no doubt, but that love is tainted by fear.

Ron's choices--even in some of his lowest points--have always been the choices of a stronger-willed young man. It's not that Ron doesn't fear change, either. It's just that Ron understands change is inevitable, and he FACES his own fears, confronts them, deals with them. Sometimes better than other times, but he never hides behind his fears or uses them as a crutch the way Draco does. Ron's choices, too, are not rooted in selfishness but in love. There is no question in my mind that deep down, he is terrified for the future, for Harry and Hermione and his family, but he CHOOSES nonetheless to follow Harry anyway, because Ron has grown up learning that love is GREATER than fear. That doesn't mean Ron hasn't stumbled along the way, of course--there have been times when Ron has let the fear of his own lack of self-worth get in the way of his love for his friends. We saw that not only in GoF, when he fought with Harry, but in HBP, when he fought with Hermione. But it does mean that Ron has always had the strength of character and the capacity to change, grow, and evolve into the young man he's become: a decent, loving, strong, principled, brave guy who has his priorities in the right order, and who is not afraid to face whatever the future brings.

Draco is not equipped to face the future, because he's never been given the proper tools to do so. I am not excusing his actions, by the way. Far from it. Draco has chosen his path and it is his choices that have made him who he is. But for Draco to choose otherwise would require a strength of character he doesn't appear to have, and THAT is why he is more pitiable to me now than purely contemptible. I feel for Draco mostly the way Harry does: I hate what he's done, but I still feel a little sorry for him."

Old June 24th, 2013, 4:41 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSleepyHead View Post
Of course, I understand why one may not consider them mirror opposites - and I'd tend to agree. I think that idiom implies some sort of connectedness - just like the connectedness you have with your reflection. So, instead, I would connect Ron and Draco more as polar opposites: characters that are completely opposite from the outset - like good-evil, black-white, etc. Whereas Harry and Voldemort had commonality that allowed them to understand each other (Harry understanding more, of course), Ron and Draco are written almost devoid of any common ground in terms of background and choices.
I'd agree with the term polar opposites with Draco & Ron. Draco's family was rich, Ron's was poor; Draco's was prejudiced against any but purebloods, the Weasleys were accepting of all; Draco's family joined the DE's, Ron's family fought them; etc., while Voldemort & Harry have commonality of circumstance, but opposite views & choices; both were orphaned and lived in unhappy conditions in early childhood, both were half-bloods; Voldemort wished for unquestioned power and Harry sought normalcy; etc. I don't think that the author intended any type of mirror imaging between Draco and anyone else. And personally, I have a problem with the term "mirror opposites" as I see it as an oxymoron although I've read/heard its use quite a bit.

....I miss David Tennant....

Last edited by HedwigOwl; June 24th, 2013 at 4:44 am.
Old June 24th, 2013, 8:07 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedwigOwl View Post
I don't think that the author intended any type of mirror imaging between Draco and anyone else.
I agree that this was most likely unintentional, it was just that once I began thinking about it I realized what a funny thing it was how well Draco and Ron worked as Polar Opposite Counterparts when this wasn't even intended.

Quote:
And personally, I have a problem with the term "mirror opposites" as I see it as an oxymoron although I've read/heard its use quite a bit.
But your mirror image is always doing the opposite. If you raise your left arm your mirror image will raise the Right Arm. If you turn left it turns right, etc. That's the opposite reaction.

Yeah, it kind of falls apart when you do things like smile and frown. It's not a perfect metaphor.

Old June 28th, 2013, 12:32 am
Ron's Pygmy Puff

Quote:
not unlike another little pureblood we know and love to hate.
Who?

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies