Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Draco Malfoy: Character Analysis v.2

Old December 31st, 2012, 7:47 pm
MODLY CREW

Draco Malfoy: Character Analysis v.2

Welcome to the second instalment of this thread!

For reference: version one.

Draco Malfoy is to Harry Potter what Severus Snape seems to have been to James Potter. Whether you love Draco, or hate him, his choices and actions throughout the series can't help but bring to mind the classic "Nature vs. Nurture" discussion.

Study Questions
1. When we first meet Draco, Harry sees him as a pampered, snobbish, bully. Did JKR plant the seeds from the beginning that he would grow to be a Death Eater?

2. Draco grew up in a home with a mother from the notorious House of Black and a father who was a Death Eater that held favor with Voldemort. Lucius craves wealth, status and power. He is a demanding father and expects nothing less than excellence from his son.

3. Is Draco truly making his choices of his own volition? How much of his choice is derived from fear, or is it bravado?

4. Draco has used name-dropping (his father’s and Voldemort’s) and his wealth in an attempt to befriend people. He was truly dumbfounded when all Harry could muster was a “that don’t impress me much” reaction to his attempts.

5. Is he misunderstood? Or just plain mean?

6. Despite his decision not to kill Dumbledore, Draco continues to serve Voldemort. Do you think he regrets his failure to kill Dumbledore? Do you think he regrets his choices in DH?

7. How do you think Draco's life debt to Harry and Ron might manifest itself in their future.

8. What do you think happened to Draco after DH? What might he have done as a profession? Is Pansy the wife we see in the epilogue?

Everyone who chooses to post in this thread should read these guidelines beforehand and be aware of the Hot Zone Policy:

How to have a pleasant conversation on any topic.

REVISED: Character Bashing/Worship: aka Shades of Gray

From the Hot Zones Policy in The Notice BoardWarning System: HOT ZONES

The following forums & sub-forums are classed as hot zones. These areas will be subject to longer forum bans and one-strike rule:
  • Legilimency Studies
  • DoIMC

Typical length of ban:

Member with more than 30 days membership: 120 days
Member with under 30 days membership: 15 days
Member who duplicated account, thinking we wouldn’t know: FULL BAN (OF ALL ACCOUNTS)

Once you’ve served this ban, if it hasn’t been made apparent to you, then your next warning will be in the form of a strikethrough of your username. End of the line. Be aware, your reputation & popularity, length of membership to this site is irrelevant.

Sponsored Links
Old January 3rd, 2013, 1:42 am
Third Year

Re: Draco Malfoy: Character Analysis v.2

I can't remember if I already answered these questions but I'll give it a(nother?) go:

1. When we first meet Draco, Harry sees him as a pampered, snobbish, bully. Did JKR plant the seeds from the beginning that he would grow to be a Death Eater?

I don't think it shows that he would be a Death Eater but it shows what kind of character he would be. Also, he reminds Harry of Dudley so I think that shows they probably wouldn't get along in the future.

2. Draco grew up in a home with a mother from the notorious House of Black and a father who was a Death Eater that held favor with Voldemort. Lucius craves wealth, status and power. He is a demanding father and expects nothing less than excellence from his son. This isn't really a question so maybe we should add to it: How do you think this affects Draco and the choices he makes?

I think it put pressure on Draco to be exactly how his parents, especially his father, wanted him to be.

3. Is Draco truly making his choices of his own volition? How much of his choice is derived from fear, or is it bravado?

Some of his choices could be from fear, like from the fear of being rejected from his family. Other stuff could be just bravado. But I would say most of the choices he makes is because that's what he wants to do.

4. Draco has used name-dropping (his father’s and Voldemort’s) and his wealth in an attempt to befriend people. He was truly dumbfounded when all Harry could muster was a “that don’t impress me much” reaction to his attempts.This isn't really a question either so we could add to it: What does this tell us about Draco's upbringing?

I think he's believes he'll make friends like that because maybe he's noticed his father makes connections through those methods and he thinks it will work with everyone else.

I think he was just plain mean most of the time because he looked down upon other people and thought they deserved it.

6. Despite his decision not to kill Dumbledore, Draco continues to serve Voldemort. Do you think he regrets his failure to kill Dumbledore? Do you think he regrets his choices in DH?

It seemed he might have been considering Dumbledore's offer to protect him and his family. So I think he might regret that Dumbledore died.

7. How do you think Draco's life debt to Harry and Ron might manifest itself in their future.

I don't think it really will.

8. What do you think happened to Draco after DH? What might he have done as a profession? Is Pansy the wife we see in the epilogue?

I don't know if Rowling told us his profession but I would think he would do something in the Ministry like his father did (they already have so much money, he might not need a real job).

Old January 3rd, 2013, 7:35 pm
First Year

Study Questions
I don't necessarily think this was foreshadowing of Draco becoming a Death Eater, but more of JK Rowling establishing Draco as Harry's indisputable foil.

2. Draco grew up in a home with a mother from the notorious House of Black and a father who was a Death Eater that held favor with Voldemort. Lucius craves wealth, status and power. He is a demanding father and expects nothing less than excellence from his son.
I'll go ahead an answer asdfasdf17's addition to this "How do you think this affects Draco and the choices he makes?"
It's not hard to look at his family and understand why Draco turned out the way he did or the choices that he made. He really is his father's mini-me in a lot of respects. He learned Lucius's behaviors and adopted his beliefs and was on a constant quest to garner his approval. But along with the bad, Draco also inherited the Malfoys' saving grace, their devotion to family.

In the beginning, it was all bravado. Draco had been catered to his entire life, he expected things to go his way. Although I believe his obvious need for attention and popularity bred from insecurity, it wasn't until Voldemort returns and his family is once again in the the Death Eaters ranks that Draco experiences real fear. We see the definite shift in Draco in the Half-Blood Prince when his bravado wears down and he becomes consumed with fear, for himself and his family. His choices from then out were definitely derived from fear alone.

4. Draco has used name-dropping (his father’s and Voldemort’s) and his wealth in an attempt to befriend people. He was truly dumbfounded when all Harry could muster was a “that don’t impress me much” reaction to his attempts.
Not sure what the question is in this, but it just explains more about his upbringing from question 2.

Maybe both. Although very much spoiled, Draco had a lot to live up to in his family's eyes and when your only role models are cruel and nasty to others, it's hard not to be the same. But this the case for most mean people, since I don't believe we are just born being cruel to others. It doesn't make them any less responsible for their actions, however. Draco very much knew right from wrong and he actively chose the latter.

As I stated somewhere above, at this point in the series, Draco was consumed with fear for himself and his family. He made the choices he believed would keep him safe and that meant siding with Voldemort in his mind. Dumbledore told Draco he wasn't a killer, and he wasn't. He wasn't evil, just extremely misguided, spoiled rotten, and scared. He wouldn't regret not killing Dumbledore because it was something he never really wanted to do in the first place.

7. How do you think Draco's life debt to Harry and Ron might manifest itself in their future?
Well, Harry owed a life debt to Draco when Draco wouldn't identify him as Harry when he was captured in the Malfoy Mansion. And of course, Harry has a life debt to Narcissa Malfoy. So the maybe debt is considered paid? That aside, I think the fact that they've saved each others lives probably did have impact on their relationship, but nothing more than maybe their heated rivalry turning into becoming indifferent acquaintances.

I do know that it wasn't Pansy that Draco married, but I don't think JK Rowling mentioned his profession. I assume he wouldn't be able to pass up working in The Ministry and acting as important as possible.

Old January 3rd, 2013, 9:57 pm
Second Year

Draco got married to a pureblood girl named Astoria Greengrass.

Old January 26th, 2013, 1:41 pm
Second Year

Draco Malfoy' during his last year at hogwarts

Draco Malfoy only appears a few times in the deathly hallows, at Malfoy Manor when he is asked to identify Harry, Ron and Hermione and during the battle of Hogwarts when he attempts to capture Harry Potter but does not wish to kill him. When Harry meets Dumbledore's army, Draco Malfoy is not mentioned even though his two sidekicks (Crabbe and Goyle) are which is suprising given that he is a death eater and at hogwarts would have been an elite student, if not head boy. It appears that he is no longer the bully and antagonist that he has been earlier in the series. Here are a few questions:

Did Draco Malfoy actually attend hogwarts in the deathly hallows? When he was at Malfoy manor, was he there for his Easter holidays or was he there permanently along with the rest of his family?

If yes, please answer the following questions, if you don't know the answer, write your own opinion:

Was he an elite student or even head boy?

Do you think he still played as seaker in the slytherin quidditch team?

How do you think he got on with:

Severus Snape?

The Carrows?

Neville Longbottom, did he mock him?

The rest of Dumbledore's army?

Crabbe and Goyle?

Pansy Parkinson?

The other slytherins?

Old January 26th, 2013, 4:59 pm
I gave String Theory to my Cat...

Re: Draco Malfoy' during his last year at hogwarts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegulusBlackFan View Post
Draco Malfoy only appears a few times in the deathly hallows, at Malfoy Manor when he is asked to identify Harry, Ron and Hermione and during the battle of Hogwarts when he attempts to capture Harry Potter but does not wish to kill him. When Harry meets Dumbledore's army, Draco Malfoy is not mentioned even though his two sidekicks (Crabbe and Goyle) are which is suprising given that he is a death eater and at hogwarts would have been an elite student, if not head boy. It appears that he is no longer the bully and antagonist that he has been earlier in the series. Here are a few questions:

Did Draco Malfoy actually attend hogwarts in the deathly hallows? When he was at Malfoy manor, was he there for his Easter holidays or was he there permanently along with the rest of his family?
I may be wrong, but I don't recall the students going home for Easter holidays. Either way, I don't see Malfoy returning to Hogwarts. I really don't think he'd be able to after the events of HBP. He clearly wasn't the same person, in my opinion, and I think he'd have trouble being around other people his age; there is also the fact that he would be mocked by a good portion of them given his family's position amongst the Death Eaters (their doormat). It's also unclear whether Voldemort was actively putting him to work.

I also agree that if he was at Hogwarts, it would have been extremely unlikely for him to go unmentioned in the scenes such as in the Great Hall, when McGonagall has the Slytherins removed from the school en masse. I think the most likely thing is that he arrived at Hogwarts with his parents for the battle, because he saw an opportunity to get his family back in Voldemort's good graces.

We do, however, get to see a bit of the interaction between Crabbe and Goyle and Malfoy in the Room of Requirement, where they've clearly lost all sense of obsequiousness and respect towards Malfoy.

"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress."

"It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it."
Joseph Joubert

"...He seeks to know himself and his fellow man rather than to know a god. An Atheist believes that a hospital should be built instead of a church. An Atheist believes that a deed must be done instead of a prayer said. An Atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into death..." -Madalyn Murray

Last edited by willfitz; January 26th, 2013 at 5:04 pm.
Old January 28th, 2013, 5:10 am
Assistant to Professor Snape

Quote:
It seems clear he was attending school. I can think of no other reasonable explanation for his presence at Hogwarts in the final chapters of Deathly Hallows. I think this is also suggested by the scene in which Draco tells a Death Eater that he is one of them. That he was mistaken for a defender of the castle was likely because he was in his school robes.

I would presume he was not Head Boy as it seems to me this would have come up if it were the case. (Personally I hope it was Ernie MacMillan of Hufflepuff who as a Pureblood would presumably have been acceptable to the new regime, and deserved it for his great effort at academics). He might still have been a good student, if that is what you mean by "elite", I think he always was. He would have presumably have had some social status because of his blood status and close ties to some of the "best" families.

Probably. I think it mattered less to him, but we are not given any obvious person to take his place on his House team.

Severus Snape?

Avoided him like the plague, would be my guess. I think while in a sense he owed Snape, his primary feeling would be fear. I think Draco no longer regarded him as his favorite teacher, was not so happy about his CoS wish coming true (he expressed the opinion Snape should be Headmaster, back then. )

The Carrows?

I think he got by in their classes, and tried to stay under their radar. (Or he avoided their classes, by choosing not to try for his NEWT in Muggle Studies or Dark Arts and focusing on Potions). He certainly did not in any real way support or try to help them. He knew how to get into the Room of Requirement and how it had been used by Dumbledore's Army in the past, and he did not share this information with them.

I doubt it, as Neville specifically mentioned Crabbe and Goyle to Harry, but not Draco. I found this omission indicative of a change in Draco. Well, perhaps in the Slytherin Common Room, among his friends.

No particular relationship. He'd not had much of a relationship with most of them previously, either, with the exception of Neville, whom he used to bully (see above).

Crabbe and Goyle

I think they stayed friends, but Crabbe no longer looked up to him. This all seems readily deducible from the scene in the Room of Requirement. They still accept his presence with them but Crabbe wants to do things his own way now rather than listening to Draco.

Draco clearly retained genuine warm feelings for both. He risked his life to help Goyle when the fire started, and was grieved at Crabbe's death.
Pansy Parkinson?

The other slytherins?

Hard to say. If he was still Seeker, he would have retained cordial relations with his teammates (whoever those might be). Theo and Blaise are not mentioned in DH that I can recall. Pansy has her one moment, but it's not related to Draco and is in a scene where I would guess Draco, Crabbe, and Goyle were either already absent, or lying low, owing to their plans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfitz View Post
We do, however, get to see a bit of the interaction between Crabbe and Goyle and Malfoy in the Room of Requirement, where they've clearly lost all sense of obsequiousness and respect towards Malfoy.
How do you suppose Draco came to be in that scene, if he was not attending Hogwarts?

I think he must have been, but possibly not in the scene in the Great Hall. Crabbe and Goyle are also not mentioned in that scene, perhaps they avoided going there when Slughorn brought the other Slytherins there.

“Death is the only pure, beautiful conclusion of a great passion.”-D. H. Lawrence

All was well.

Avatar by nerwende, signature art by sigune, used with permission.
Old January 28th, 2013, 6:19 pm
I gave String Theory to my Cat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by arithmancer View Post
How do you suppose Draco came to be in that scene, if he was not attending Hogwarts?

I think he must have been, but possibly not in the scene in the Great Hall. Crabbe and Goyle are also not mentioned in that scene, perhaps they avoided going there when Slughorn brought the other Slytherins there.
After re-reading, you're clearly right. I had the timeline confused and thought that the scene occurred after the battle had started. Even more telling, Voldemort says to Lucius that Draco "did not come and join me like the rest of the Slytherins." I find the writing quite misleading, though, as all other scenes, and indeed the interaction between Malfoy and his ex-cronies, convinced me that he wasn't at school.

"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress."

"It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it."
Joseph Joubert

"...He seeks to know himself and his fellow man rather than to know a god. An Atheist believes that a hospital should be built instead of a church. An Atheist believes that a deed must be done instead of a prayer said. An Atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into death..." -Madalyn Murray
Old January 29th, 2013, 4:03 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Here are a few questions:

I'm pretty sure he attended Hogwarts. The scene in which Harry had a vision of Draco torturing the Death Eater was before school started. And I think he was home for the Easter holidays when they went to Malfoy Manor.

If yes, please answer the following questions, if you don't know the answer, write your own opinion:

He may have been (I'm pretty sure only Purebloods would be allowed an elite status) but if he were, I don't think he would be that into it.

I can't really see him still playing Quidditch, in fact, I don't think I can really imagine Quidditch matches still going on under the new Hogwarts. If they did, I think Draco may have dropped out of the team because he would have lost interest/had other things on his mind. If he did continue to play seeker, it would only be to keep himself distracted and give himself something to do.

Severus Snape?

I think that he would have avoided Snape. Not only did he not like Snape but I think he may have feared him, especially since Snape was so obviously close to Voldemort. Draco wouldn't want to do anything to upset the Headmaster. I doubt he trusted Snape at all anymore.

The Carrows?

He would have attended their classes so he probably had a loose teacher-student relationship with them. I'm not sure if he liked them much but he had brought them along to ambush Dumbledore in HBP so he may have been alright with them, even if they did freak him out a little.

I think that with all Draco had been through, he would have stayed to himself and avoided most people, especially people like Neville who were the ones rebelling against Snape/Carrows. He may have even felt a slight intimidation by them.

The same as above.

Crabbe and Goyle?

He seemed he was still friends with them but he probably held onto the friendship a lot more than either Crabbe/Goyle did because it was probably one of the few things in his life that hadn't changed completely and he wanted to hold on to it. From the RoR scene, it seems that both Crabbe and Goyle were more independent from him and probably liked it that way, so the three were probably not as close. I was surprised, and pleased, to see him show that much concern and care and anguish over Crabbe's death because I never really thought he gave his friends/bodyguards that much thought.

Pansy Parkinson?

I don't think Malfoy would be in a relationship with her. He may have talked to her and stuff but since Draco changed a lot during his seventh year, Pansy may have felt he was a completely different person and wasn't interested anymore. Also, I think Draco needed someone to talk to about everything that was going on in his life and it's hard to think that Pansy would be the type of girl that would listen and care about that stuff.

The other slytherins?

He may have just got along with them the way anyone gets along with their classmates or he may have avoided their company like I would think he would avoid the D.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arithmancer View Post
The Carrows?

I think he got by in their classes, and tried to stay under their radar. (Or he avoided their classes, by choosing not to try for his NEWT in Muggle Studies or Dark Arts and focusing on Potions). He certainly did not in any real way support or try to help them. He knew how to get into the Room of Requirement and how it had been used by Dumbledore's Army in the past, and he did not share this information with them.
I think Neville told the Trio that Muggle Studies and Dark Arts were mandatory classes, so he probably had to take them.
I think the Carrows knew about the RoR because Draco led them through it from the Vanishing Cabinets in his sixth year.

Old January 29th, 2013, 5:28 pm
Third Year

Yes, I reckon Draco did attend Hogwarts. In fact I think he would have found Hogwarts a lot more pleasant than spending any more time with Voldemort at his own house.

Yes, I think he was named Head Boy (Undeserving). Snape liked him and he would have chosen Draco rather than chose someone from Ravenclaw or Hufflepuff. And I think he was an elite student as well. The Carrows ruled the roost at Hogwarts and being the son of a death eater and being a death eater himself would have made him elite at least in their eyes.

I don't think the Quidditch was played, so no.

Severus Snape?

Snape was headmaster and no longer taught any subject so I think there was no interaction between Snape and Draco at all. And according to Neville Snape was very rarely seen.

The Carrows?
They would have had a good relationship imo.

It wouldn't be Draco Malfoy if he didn't mock someone or insult them so yes I see Draco doing that.

Crabbe and Goyle?
Crabbe and Goyle followed Malfoy for years due to his money and his father's clout but once they realised that the Malfoy's had lost favour with Voldemort, I think they slowly began to shake of those shackles. They saw no reason to tag along with Malfoy anymore. or follow his orders.

Old February 16th, 2013, 1:53 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRW View Post
He is an average wizard at best, who seemed to have no real sense of loyalty in either direction and was a big coward to boot. I don't see anything in the books that supports the idea that he is on a equal footing to Harry or even anywhere close.
I'm not so sure about the cowardice. He was caught in a bad situation and probably couldn't see a way out - either he kills Dumbledore, or he quite possibly sees his mother tortured and killed (and Lucius as well, had he not been in Azkaban at the time). He'd probably be killed as well. However, if there had been a longer delay with the DEs reaching the tower, he may have taken Dumbledore up on his offer for protection.

One reoccuring theme I've noticed - when Harry, Regulus, or Draco find themselves in situations over their heads, none of them typically look for an adult's help. Harry did later, but early in the books he seemed to mistrust adults (with his childhood at the Dursleys, who can blame him?). Regulus, when he discovered the horcrux and knew he was going to betray Voldemort, didn't turn to anyone in the Order - not even his own brother, Sirius. He only trusted Kreacher. Draco seemed to really only have his mother on his side. He didn't even trust Snape, whom he had a good relationship with previously.

Harry, unlike Draco, seems to be the impulsive sort who would run head first into danger and plan later. Draco was more likely to hold back. Harry had friends who encouraged him and those friends grew up surrounded by adults who'd join the Order or support it. Harry's choices were positive ones which were reinforced. Draco's background involved DEs and DE wanna-bes. When Draco had second thoughts, he, like Regulus, didn't seem to know who he could trust or where to turn. Draco, unlike Regulus, had parents who would quite possibly be murdered if he didn't murder DD (Regulus seemed to not be concerned with anyone's safety when he put his initials in the fake locket). Regulus' parents may have been dead by this time.

Yes, Draco was responsible for his choices, and I think he didn't often choose very wisely. He grew up being sold a bag of goods, and never doubted its truth until he came to Hogwarts, where he discovered, although perhaps not on a conscious level, that muggleborns can be more intelligent than himself (Hermione), and another student (Harry) can automatically be given more status and power as soon as he walks through the castle doors - something Draco assumed he'd get because of what his father does. Harry was famous because of what his mother did - protected him from Voldemort, and he survived.

Harry didn't know he was famous until Hagrid showed up. He wasn't used to positive attention and public recognition, and felt uncomfortable with it. Draco, on the other hand, was given attention from the moment he was born, and knew great things were expected of him. He had that added pressure. And he lashed out when he discovered Harry was going to get the attention at Hogwarts and not him.

I don't think Draco wanted to kill Dumbledore. I wish he'd turned to Snape for help. Snape in HBP seemed to remind Draco of Harry, I think - he thought Snape was after his glory, which he wanted for once, and which Harry had denied him, all though Hogwarts (this is irrational on the surface, but I think Draco was thinking this way). He wanted that fame and respect and positive recognition (which i think also parallels why Snape joined the DEs, to some degree - he felt denied at Hogwarts, and now it was his turn). And like Snape he wanted out when something he didn't want to happen made it's appearance (Snape didn't want Lily to die, and Draco didn't want to kill Dumbledore). But whereas Snape only had Snape to worry about, Draco had his parents. But maybe he would have accepted Dumbledore's offer of protection.

All this being said, I don't particularly like Draco or the Malfoys. I see him, and Lucius, aspeople who tended to bully, and who seemed to have an air of entitlement, and they don't appeal to me. Just wanting to add this - because I'm analyzing Draco and trying to see the world from his point of view doesn't mean he didn't have strong faults. I think he did.

All my own opinion.

When I'm 80 years old and sitting in my rocking chair, I'll be reading Harry Potter.
My family will say to me, “After all this time?
And I will say, “Always.
- source unknown

Last edited by MerryLore; February 16th, 2013 at 2:02 pm.
Old February 16th, 2013, 4:02 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryLore View Post
I'm not so sure about the cowardice. He was caught in a bad situation and probably couldn't see a way out - either he kills Dumbledore, or he quite possibly sees his mother tortured and killed (and Lucius as well, had he not been in Azkaban at the time). He'd probably be killed as well. However, if there had been a longer delay with the DEs reaching the tower, he may have taken Dumbledore up on his offer for protection.
The cowardice is there because he wanted to be a death eater, he wanted to kill Dumbledore and he relished the idea of getting the glory that would accompany should he accomplish the task. The situation might have played it's part but Draco did want to it. It's only when things are not going for him that he becomes scared. Another example is, he uses Greyback to terrorize Borgin (Or Burke) but when Greyback's is actually there he distances himself from him. There are numerous examples of Draco acting quite cowardly throughout the books and wishing death on others.

I'd like to say Draco was just a big bully but I think he crossed that line a long time ago and some of his actions are not defend-able. He is repeatedly racist to Hermione and wishes death on her at the age of 12. He insults Ron's parents and the place he lives at repeatedly and that for me is again going a step too far. He is almost responsible for murdering 2 students by being reckless.

You could blame his upbringing for his behavior at the start but at no point does he seem to question any of his beliefs even after coming to Hogwarts. His beliefs don't change one bit and all that happens is the realization that life under Voldemort was not going to be very pleasant and that he and his family were no better than than the mudbloods. Draco had lots of chances to redeem himself but his lack of conviction and general cowardice holds him back. All he cared about was self preservation even if it came at the cost of other people's lives.

I was hoping for some kind of redemption but it never materialised unfortunately.

Old February 16th, 2013, 6:02 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
The cowardice is there because he wanted to be a death eater, he wanted to kill Dumbledore and he relished the idea of getting the glory that would accompany should he accomplish the task. The situation might have played it's part but Draco did want to it. It's only when things are not going for him that he becomes scared.
I'm not sure I agree with this.

Cut to the big scene, when Draco is facing a defenseless Dumbledore, and has the support of the Carrows and Greyback, who have just arrived. He had backup. Everything was in his favor. Glory and praise from Voldy and safety for his family were practically assured. And yet, he couldn't kill Dumbledore. He chose the wrath of Voldemort and his own potential death (as well as his parents) instead. Snape saved his butt.

And again we have the scene where he could have revealed Harry to Lucius and Narcissa and Bellatrix. Draco knew it was Harry, I think. Victory and glory and praise and family forgiveness from Voldemort were all within his grasp. All he had to do was say, "Yes - this is Harry Potter." That's it. But despite his yearning for all of those things, I think his conscious won out.

He was willing to insult and bully and mistreat people, and had no qualms about doing so, i think. He seemed to completely buy into the "purebloods are superior and should rule the lesser beings" ideology. I don't think that ever changed. But I don't think he was a psychopath (like perhaps Voldy and Bella were - no offense meant to anyone who likes those characters) and I think he did have a conscious which would allow him to only go so far. He could ignore it until he was confronted with the situation directly; i.e., he could have a poisoned necklace sent to DD via a student and lie to himself and tell himself no one was in danger except DD, but could not ignore his conscious if the man were standing directly in front of him. He would send the poisoned necklace to save his family, but when it came down to actually realizing and facing what he was doing - murdering someone - he couldn't do it, I think.

Quote:
I was hoping for some kind of redemption but it never materialised unfortunately.
I'm not sure he was ever redeemed, either. The potential could have been there if he'd accepted DD's offer for protection and got to really know a different sort of people, but he didn't. Instead, at the end, he went home with his family and most likely held on to his beliefs.

When I'm 80 years old and sitting in my rocking chair, I'll be reading Harry Potter.
My family will say to me, “After all this time?
And I will say, “Always.
- source unknown
Old February 16th, 2013, 6:35 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryLore View Post
I'm not sure I agree with this.

Cut to the big scene, when Draco is facing a defenseless Dumbledore, and has the support of the Carrows and Greyback, who have just arrived. He had backup. Everything was in his favor. Glory and praise from Voldy and safety for his family were practically assured. And yet, he couldn't kill Dumbledore. He chose the wrath of Voldemort and his own potential death (as well as his parents) instead. Snape saved his butt.
I am not talking about this scene in particular but the months leading up to it starting with when he was actually given the job to kill Dumbledore. Initially he wanted to kill Dumbledore and he wanted the glory for himself which is why he never even tells Snape. He even made attempts to kill Dumbledore so the fact that he wanted to kill Dumbledore cannot be disputed.

It's only as time passes by and his plan does not come to fruition that he becomes desperate and slowly but surely realises what he had gotten himself into and that the life he had envisioned wasn't as rosy as he wanted it to be culminating in him not being able to kill Dumbledore. Actually him being unable to kill DD isn't actually bad. After all being able to kill someone is not something to be proud about.

Quote:
And again we have the scene where he could have revealed Harry to Lucius and Narcissa and Bellatrix. Draco knew it was Harry, I think. Victory and glory and praise and family forgiveness from Voldemort were all within his grasp. All he had to do was say, "Yes - this is Harry Potter." That's it. But despite his yearning for all of those things, I think his conscious won out.
I am not entirely sure it was his conscience tbh. I think he was just plain scared by that point and wanted nothing to do with either Harry or Voldemort.

Quote:
He was willing to insult and bully and mistreat people, and had no qualms about doing so, i think. He seemed to completely buy into the "purebloods are superior and should rule the lesser beings" ideology. I don't think that ever changed. But I don't think he was a psychopath (like perhaps Voldy and Bella were - no offense meant to anyone who likes those characters) and I think he did have a conscious which would allow him to only go so far. He could ignore it until he was confronted with the situation directly; i.e., he could have a poisoned necklace sent to DD via a student and lie to himself and tell himself no one was in danger except DD, but could not ignore his conscious if the man were standing directly in front of him. He would send the poisoned necklace to save his family, but when it came down to actually realizing and facing what he was doing - murdering someone - he couldn't do it, I think.
I think that's a very accurate summary and one that I agree with. The one thing imo that saved Draco from being as bad as his father was that when he was growing up there was no Voldemort. Lucius Malfoy was just a rich and prejudiced father but he wasn't an active death eater. Had Voldemort never disappeared and Lucius remained a death eater I don't think Draco would have turned out any different from his father.

Quote:
I'm not sure he was ever redeemed, either. The potential could have been there if he'd accepted DD's offer for protection and got to really know a different sort of people, but he didn't. Instead, at the end, he went home with his family and most likely held on to his beliefs.
If he had to be redeemed he would have had to do something along the lines of Regulus or at the very least fight for the right side during the battle but he did neither. In fact the battle painted him in an even worse light.

Old April 26th, 2013, 6:56 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
It's only as time passes by and his plan does not come to fruition that he becomes desperate and slowly but surely realises what he had gotten himself into and that the life he had envisioned wasn't as rosy as he wanted it to be culminating in him not being able to kill Dumbledore.
I think he got a small taste of what it was like to be in Voldemort's bad books, and did not like it. He did not like how it boded for his future, and for the glorious career as a DE he had imagined. He did not like what it suggested about his safety and that of his family. He did not like seeing what it was like to be on the receiving end of what he supported. I'd like to think that he learned some small measure of empathy from this, but I don't think the text suggests it anywhere.

Quote:
Actually him being unable to kill DD isn't actually bad. After all being able to kill someone is not something to be proud about.
Certainly not something to be proud of for a rational decent person. However, this was something that Draco and his fellow fanatics believed in - their right to power over life and death of people they considered inferior.

And canon shows Draco was capable of murder, IMO. Poisoning someone (via the necklace or the poisoned mead) is just as much murder as an Avada Kedavra is. He just did not want to murder someone while he had to look them in the eye. He was just fine with murdering people at a distance. It was pure dumb luck that his previous attempts did not cost lives. If that poison had killed Ron, if it had killed Ron, Harry and Slughorn all three, then yes, Draco would have been a murderer, So I say he was capable of murder. He just didn't have the gumption to look his victim in the eye as he killed them. Perhaps he could have deluded himself that he wasn't a murderer if he didn't have to watch his victim die, in the event that the poison had murdered someone.

Quote:
I am not entirely sure it was his conscience tbh. I think he was just plain scared by that point and wanted nothing to do with either Harry or Voldemort.
Good point - Draco was too afraid to make a decision. He did not want to commit himself either way. He did not want to be involved anymore, I think. But sadly, as Sirius said, you don't just hand in your notice to Voldemort.
Draco saw no way out.

Quote:
I think that's a very accurate summary and one that I agree with. The one thing imo that saved Draco from being as bad as his father was that when he was growing up there was no Voldemort. Lucius Malfoy was just a rich and prejudiced father but he wasn't an active death eater. Had Voldemort never disappeared and Lucius remained a death eater I don't think Draco would have turned out any different from his father.
That's a good point. Draco Malfoy, unlike Lucius, grew up at a time when the DEs and their supporters had to keep their heads down. Whereas in Lucius' youth, they were causing trouble, they were destroying lives, with no consequences to themselves. Draco grew up with an atmosphere of knowing that he and his bigoted ilk had to watch their step, they couldn't go to the same extremes as Lucius' generation had in their youth - because there was no Voldemort to creep and hide behind.

Draco went to school at a time when the majority of students would have acted against him for racial slurs. None of them were afraid of retribution if they called him out for his bigotry. Looking at the scene where the entire Gryffindor Quidditch team turn on him when he throws the foullest wizarding slur going at Hermione. None of them held back, none of them were going to stand for it. People were still afraid of Voldemort, but they were not going to back down from juvenile bigots in Draco's day.

Quote:
If he had to be redeemed he would have had to do something along the lines of Regulus or at the very least fight for the right side during the battle but he did neither. In fact the battle painted him in an even worse light.
I agree, Draco didn't do anything positive during the battle. He tried to capture Harry for Voldemort - one last-gasp attempt to save his own skin and claw his way back into Voldemort's good books. However, he did nothing for good, nothing that could count towards redemption, IMO. I think that Draco was selfish throughought, was cowardly throoughout, lacked strength of character throughout.

Pic by julvett at deviantart http://julvett.deviantart.com/gallery/2984632
"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and she’s trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.

Last edited by FurryDice; April 26th, 2013 at 7:00 pm.
Old June 8th, 2013, 10:27 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriath View Post
Draco Malfoy is to Harry Potter what Severus Snape seems to have been to James Potter. ]
I'm inclined to think it was the other way round. In many ways, Severus Snape thought James was the agressor. I think that both James and Severus had similarities with Draco. Both Draco and James were willing to not become friends with people based on priniciple and were competitive at Hogwarts. They never hesitated at being boastfull about their tallents, or in Draco's case, his connections. However with James there were differences, he was much more loyal to his friends while Draco had them have a more sidekick role. I don't know whether Sirius was more of a friend or a subordinate sidekick, like Goyle. James obviously proved that he was a lot braver, as he fought his cause to the bitter end.

Both Draco and Severus have a competitive side to them and some strive for power and glory, hence their initial willingness to join to death eaters. They both started having reservations about being Death Eater's after they got in too deep.

Regulus, my favourite character who made the right choice, to fight Voldemort at the cost of his own life. But he's just a character invented by JK Rowling.

'You wouldn't wage war against me if I believed that the moon was made of Cheese, yet some people would if I believed in the wrong God.' Me
Old June 8th, 2013, 7:41 pm
Banned

Quote:
I'm inclined to think it was the other way round. In many ways, Severus Snape thought James was the agressor. I think that both James and Severus had similarities with Draco. Both Draco and James were willing to not become friends with people based on priniciple and were competitive at Hogwarts. They never hesitated at being boastfull about their tallents, or in Draco's case, his connections. However with James there were differences, he was much more loyal to his friends while Draco had them have a more sidekick role. I don't know whether Sirius was more of a friend or a subordinate sidekick, like Goyle. James obviously proved that he was a lot braver, as he fought his cause to the bitter end.

Both Draco and Severus have a competitive side to them and some strive for power and glory, hence their initial willingness to join to death eaters. They both started having reservations about being Death Eater's after they got in too deep.
This is the same Draco that tried to butter up Harry on the train just because he was Harry Potter?

And I kinds think Snape didn't had any worries about swimming in the deep waters of Death Eater activity. He only got kind of worried when he dragged Lily in with him.

Old June 8th, 2013, 7:55 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Both Draco and James were willing to not become friends with people based on priniciple and were competitive at Hogwarts.
Draco's "principle" was based on fanaticism and bigotry. James's principle was based on a dislike of bigots like Draco - basing such choices on their actions, rather than their blood.

Quote:
IMO, any willingness to join the DEs shows a lack of empathy. A lack of regard for the rights or feelings of others. And, I believe, a whole lot of arrogance, in the idea that one has the right to destroy lives, to kill, to torture, whether for a bigoted ideal or for personal gain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsJPotter View Post
This is the same Draco that tried to butter up Harry on the train just because he was Harry Potter?
The very same. The Draco who asked Harry only his surname, in Madam Malkins, as though he could make a complete judgement on a person's worth based on their surname.

Quote:
And I kinds think Snape didn't had any worries about swimming in the deep waters of Death Eater activity. He only got kind of worried when he dragged Lily in with him.
I agree. Snape did not have qualms of conscience when he "got in too deep". He did not like it when his own callous disregard for the lives of others came back to bite him. Similarly, IMO, Draco did not have qualms of conscience about what he was ordered to do. Draco did not like it that he could not commit murder from a distance. Draco did not like it that he and his pureblood family were as disposable to Voldemort as the "filthy little Mudbloods" and Muggles that he, Draco, believed should be killed.

Pic by julvett at deviantart http://julvett.deviantart.com/gallery/2984632
"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and she’s trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.
Old June 9th, 2013, 4:27 pm
HighFunctioning Sociopath

Hem, hem. Just a reminder of the Snape vs Marauders rule. I hope no-one is going to use this thread to have a "Who was worse, Snape or James?" discussion, because I would really, really hate to ban anyone from LS for the rest of Cos's short duration.

Old June 19th, 2013, 2:35 am
Splendide Mendax

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurryDice View Post
Draco's "principle" was based on fanaticism and bigotry. James's principle was based on a dislike of bigots like Draco - basing such choices on their actions, rather than their blood.
Fanaticism? At the age of 11? Do we have a quote to support this or are we just posting for the sake of it?

Quote:
IMO, any willingness to join the DEs shows a lack of empathy. A lack of regard for the rights or feelings of others. And, I believe, a whole lot of arrogance, in the idea that one has the right to destroy lives, to kill, to torture, whether for a bigoted ideal or for personal gain.
IMO, we don't have canon evidence that pureblood bigots who weren't DEs were ever privy to his plans for death and destruction, so the decision would have been made on propaganda alone. And we do NOT have canon evidence that it consisted of freel-for-all torture/killing/destroying sessions.

Quote:
The very same. The Draco who asked Harry only his surname, in Madam Malkins, as though he could make a complete judgement on a person's worth based on their surname.
You mean the way Hagrid makes a complete judgement on 1/4 of Hogwarts' population in the very same book based on the name of their house?