Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion

Ender's Game to be released November 2013

Old November 5th, 2013, 2:44 pm
Rocket Scientist

Re: Ender's Game to be released November 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelantzer View Post
I would be interested to hear from someone who hasn't read the book. Would they like the movie at all? Would they understand everything that was going on?
my bf hasnt read the book but he seemed to enjoy it more than me. And I had a couple of friends who havent read it who felt the same. I think in this case ignorance is bliss. If you havent read the book you see the one dimensional characters but dont care as much because you don't know what is really beneath the surface. Those that havent read don't know what they are missing.

*Sig image compliments of cybobbie
Sponsored Links
Old November 6th, 2013, 5:24 am
Hiding under Johnny's bed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacecadet View Post
my bf hasnt read the book but he seemed to enjoy it more than me. And I had a couple of friends who havent read it who felt the same. I think in this case ignorance is bliss. If you havent read the book you see the one dimensional characters but dont care as much because you don't know what is really beneath the surface. Those that havent read don't know what they are missing.
Yeah, that seems to be the consensus from people online, too. Those who haven't read it seem to like the movie a lot more, at least for this particular film.

Old November 6th, 2013, 3:01 pm
Member of the Order

I haven't read the book.
But since there is a book, I realize that there had to be omissions. And I'm pretty sure the big one is the political hot potato of using children in such a cold fashion.
Another would be omitting the backdrop of thoughts that a character would have, formulating reasoning that would make us see how he arrived at his decisions and thus actions taken.
I'm told that I'll enjoy the book. The sequels...not so much.

I did like the movie, so I plan to read the book.

All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

---Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Million Dollar Baby)
Old November 7th, 2013, 3:12 pm
Rocket Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightsfire View Post
Another would be omitting the backdrop of thoughts that a character would have, formulating reasoning that would make us see how he arrived at his decisions and thus actions taken.
I'm told that I'll enjoy the book. The sequels...not so much.
The book is written in third person so you dont really get a sense of the characters thoughts directly it's more indirect and through their actions and correspondence so That wouldnt be and isnt much different then how it is in the movie. The thing the movie lacked is a lot of examples that really showed how the characters adapt and thus get a sense of how they think.

As for the sequels, they are good, some are better than others. But I will say the more time Card spends in this world the worse the books get (im talking publication order not chronological order). But in terms of which you will like better depends on what kind of writing/stories you like to read. The back trilogy starting with speaker for the dead is more of your traditional adult science fiction book and explores some of the more traditional science fiction themes. They dont have much action like ender's game. The ender's shadow series starts out with more of a Young adult feel but gets more political toward the end. Which is why im not sure any of those books would be really good to put on the big screen. So I doubt we will see any more of the ender's game saga in the theater. And after this adaptation i think i'm okay with that.

*Sig image compliments of cybobbie
Old November 8th, 2013, 6:38 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacecadet View Post
As for the sequels, they are good, some are better than others. But I will say the more time Card spends in this world the worse the books get (im talking publication order not chronological order). But in terms of which you will like better depends on what kind of writing/stories you like to read. The back trilogy starting with speaker for the dead is more of your traditional adult science fiction book and explores some of the more traditional science fiction themes. They dont have much action like ender's game. The ender's shadow series starts out with more of a Young adult feel but gets more political toward the end. Which is why im not sure any of those books would be really good to put on the big screen. So I doubt we will see any more of the ender's game saga in the theater. And after this adaptation i think i'm okay with that.
I think that the original series would be extremely difficult to adapt. They are also thematically very different from Ender's Game and have completely different pacing and styles.

The Bean series is definitely more doable, but there was a lot of setup for it in Ender's Shadow that didn't make it into the Ender's game movie. They are also based on a lot of the politics from Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow that didn't make it into this movie.

Old November 28th, 2013, 3:30 am
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelantzer View Post
I would be interested to hear from someone who hasn't read the book. Would they like the movie at all? Would they understand everything that was going on?
I saw it with my husband who didn't read the book. He thought the movie was great, totally understood what was going on, understood the struggle, was mildly surprised by the whole genocide thing. Of course he doesn't know what he's missing as far as character development, but I was glad that he enjoyed the movie for what it was.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion