Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion

Ender's Game to be released November 2013

Old December 9th, 2012, 4:02 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Ender's Game to be released November 2013

Despite my personal dislike of the author, I love the book Ender's Game, and most of the books in the two resulting series, so I'm very excited about the movie next year.

It looks like they decided to age up the main cast of children, which I think is a good move. From the production photo I saw, it seems that they're going for preteen as opposed to six and seven, which will make the quality of the acting better and allow the cast to keep their roles for the entire movie instead of bringing in new actors for the end.

Asa Butterfield from Hugo is going to be playing Ender, and I think he's a great choice. Harrison Ford will be playing Colonel Graff. I didn't recognize the name of the actor who is playing Bean.

Old December 10th, 2012, 1:49 pm
Rocket Scientist

Re: Ender's Game to be released November 2013

Words can not express how excited I am about this movie! This is literally decades in the making. It's been passed from studio to studio script writer to script writer and now it's finally coming to the big screen. And although I too personally don't agree with the author's views on a lot of things, Ender's Game is by far my absolute favorite book ever.

I knew all along that they'd have to age the characters up a bit for the movie and I 100% agree with their casting choice of Asa Butterfield as Ender. I think he will do an amazing job.And Harrison Ford will be an amazing Graff. As for Bean played by Aramis Knight, he's had a lot of little roles in a lot of fairly well know tv shows and some small roles in movies. From the little I've seen I think he will make a good Bean, but I'll have a better idea when we actually get to see some kind of trailer.

I can't wait for this!

*Sig image compliments of cybobbie
Old January 10th, 2013, 2:51 pm
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

I have the audio book of Ender's Game, and at the end of the book there is an interview with Orson Scott Card where he talks about why it's taken so long to become a movie.

One hold up was that everyone who wanted to option the rights wanted Ender to be around 16 so that they could create a romance - to give Ender a girlfriend. And the author was fully against that because 1. Ender is constantly isolated, which is what provides his success and 2. having the kids be too old makes the whole story unbelievable.

The story works because while Ender is a genius, he's a kid, as are the other Battle School students, and so they believe the grown ups. Simple fact - little kids will believe what adults tell them, teens will not.

There was another thing he talked about which was that Ender's Game on its own doesn't really work that great for a movie since much of the story is in Ender's thoughts. So I believe that to make it work they made it more of a combo of Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow so that you get much of the story from Bean's POV. Which also helps with the perceived need for romance, because then it can happen with Bean and Petra.

I'm excited and will definitely see the movie.

Old January 14th, 2013, 2:17 pm
Rocket Scientist

I agree. I had heard early on that they wanted to age ender up but i didn't realize they wanted to add a romance. Like you said this is all about ender's isolation, that's why this works. And there is a little bit of what if going on between ender and petra, but it's definitely not a full blown romance. I think its more like a big sis little bro thing going on. And while I realize that Ender could never be 5 in the movies because that just isn't plausible I also dont agree with aging him up to 16. I think they finally found the right balance.

As for the internal thoughts, I think that could be a bit of a struggle, but I also think there are other aspects for them to explore. For instance all the communications with Graff can be actual discussion scenes rather than "emails". I also think some of Ender's thinking can be shown through those discussions, the superiors questioning what he's doing. I'll also be curious to see how the incorporate his game. Plus I can't wait for the zero g fights! The enemy's gate is down!

Old January 15th, 2013, 2:48 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacecadet View Post
I agree. I had heard early on that they wanted to age ender up but i didn't realize they wanted to add a romance. Like you said this is all about ender's isolation, that's why this works. And there is a little bit of what if going on between ender and petra, but it's definitely not a full blown romance. I think its more like a big sis little bro thing going on. And while I realize that Ender could never be 5 in the movies because that just isn't plausible I also dont agree with aging him up to 16. I think they finally found the right balance. As for the internal thoughts, I think that could be a bit of a struggle, but I also think there are other aspects for them to explore. For instance all the communications with Graff can be actual discussion scenes rather than "emails". I also think some of Ender's thinking can be shown through those discussions, the superiors questioning what he's doing. I'll also be curious to see how the incorporate his game. Plus I can't wait for the zero g fights! The enemy's gate is down!
There's also the entire subplot where Peter and Valentine just sit around and type a lot I wonder if they'll even include that part of the book.

Old January 15th, 2013, 1:26 pm
Rocket Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rell View Post
There's also the entire subplot where Peter and Valentine just sit around and type a lot I wonder if they'll even include that part of the book.
yes that is true. Although for me that is one of the most boring parts of the book. But I've never been one for politics. I do like Valentine though and Peter is a great older brother villain.

Old January 15th, 2013, 11:16 pm

Quote:
I'd think they need to include Valentine somehow, if they're going to have the same ending. Or use her to get Ender out of his funk. And Peter is sort of the first essential step in the bully/isolation pattern. But will they include their alter egos? Not sure. I can see some discussion without all their 'on the nets' typing stuff.

Old January 27th, 2013, 10:02 pm
Seventh Year

It's about time!!!!!! I'm too excited to express opinions yet haha.

Old January 30th, 2013, 1:31 pm
Rocket Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMN View Post
I'd think they need to include Valentine somehow, if they're going to have the same ending. Or use her to get Ender out of his funk. And Peter is sort of the first essential step in the bully/isolation pattern. But will they include their alter egos? Not sure. I can see some discussion without all their 'on the nets' typing stuff.
Yeah im not entirely sure they will include the alter egos, but they may twist it into internet personas who know. I think it will end quite similarly as the book, but unfortunately (or maybe i should say fortunately) I don't think there will be any more movies from the ender's universe. I don't think the other books really lend themselves well to movies.

Old January 30th, 2013, 10:00 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacecadet View Post
Yeah im not entirely sure they will include the alter egos, but they may twist it into internet personas who know. I think it will end quite similarly as the book, but unfortunately (or maybe i should say fortunately) I don't think there will be any more movies from the ender's universe. I don't think the other books really lend themselves well to movies.
They could go in either direction and do either the Ender series or the Bean series, but they would both be difficult. The other books in the Ender series are extremely different from Ender's Game, and people who are not already fans of the books might not follow for a completely different story.

The Bean series is definitely more do-able, but I didn't see anyone cast as Achilles for this movie, and without him there isn't any way to continue with those books.

Based on the casting, it also looks like they're going to leave out a lot of Bean's story, which I had assumed would be mixed in.

Old January 31st, 2013, 1:47 pm
Rocket Scientist

Quote:
They could go in either direction and do either the Ender series or the Bean series, but they would both be difficult. The other books in the Ender series are extremely different from Ender's Game, and people who are not already fans of the books might not follow for a completely different story.

The Bean series is definitely more do-able, but I didn't see anyone cast as Achilles for this movie, and without him there isn't any way to continue with those books.

Based on the casting, it also looks like they're going to leave out a lot of Bean's story, which I had assumed would be mixed in.
I think they may just leave out bean's past from the story. I imagined there will be a bit of a higher focus on bean but Ender is definitely the main focus on this. If they wanted to do the bean series i think they could fix the lack of achilles with a series of flashbacks, but i honestly dont even think the bean series would be that great in movies. While they are as you said do-able, im not sure it's the kind of thing people would want to see in a movie. It's an interesting read but I dont think it would play well on screen.

Old May 8th, 2013, 4:56 am
Hiding under Johnny's bed...

Anybody catch the trailer that came out today? Looks good.

Old May 8th, 2013, 6:39 pm
Rocket Scientist

omg the trailer gave me chills! It looks amazing! I can't wait. I think it's going to be a great movie

Old November 1st, 2013, 1:14 pm

Ender's Game

IMDB
The International Military seek out a leader who can save the human race from an alien attack. Ender Wiggin, a brilliant young mind, is recruited and trained to lead his fellow soldiers into a battle that will determine the future of Earth.

Director: Gavin Hood
Writers: Gavin Hood (screenplay), Orson Scott Card (based on the book Ender's Game by)
Stars: Harrison Ford, Asa Butterfield, Hailee Steinfeld

Clearly large swaths of the book were going to have to be cut, and they certainly were.

Did you think the movie did the book justice? Was anything major missing? What are your general thoughts?

Last edited by Hes; November 1st, 2013 at 1:59 pm. Reason: code fix
Old November 2nd, 2013, 2:53 am
Member of the Order

Hearing some good reviews so far.

Plan on seeing it sometime this week.

All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

---Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Million Dollar Baby)
Old November 3rd, 2013, 8:35 am

I saw it today. It was good... But it also felt hollow, like a mere shell of the book. I mean that as more of a compliment to the book than a criticism if the movie. The movie really did a good and fairly faithful job of translating the book. The effects were great, acting solid. I just didn't really feel anything for the characters, while my heart ached for Ender when I read the book.

Old November 3rd, 2013, 8:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelantzer View Post
I saw it today. It was good... But it also felt hollow, like a mere shell of the book. I mean that as more of a compliment to the book than a criticism if the movie. The movie really did a good and fairly faithful job of translating the book. The effects were great, acting solid. I just didn't really feel anything for the characters, while my heart ached for Ender when I read the book.
Yes, you posted the words that I wanted to say. The movie was spot on. It has a good progression of what Ender had to accomplish, the acting was great, the story moved, but there was a serious lack of character development. And I don't know how they would have been able to add it in because there was so much to show that the whole movie was just the top surface of the story.

I didn't mind that the whole political sub-plot was cut out, and the only real issue I had with the movie (other than the lack of character development) was the lack of explanation of the ansible. Because it was that device that enabled communication between Ender and the enemy.

Old November 4th, 2013, 12:01 am

Quote:
Yes, you posted the words that I wanted to say. The movie was spot on. It has a good progression of what Ender had to accomplish, the acting was great, the story moved, but there was a serious lack of character development. And I don't know how they would have been able to add it in because there was so much to show that the whole movie was just the top surface of the story.

I didn't mind that the whole political sub-plot was cut out, and the only real issue I had with the movie (other than the lack of character development) was the lack of explanation of the ansible. Because it was that device that enabled communication between Ender and the enemy.
Yeah, I didn't mind the whole political subplot being cut, either. And I did like mostly everything they did. I just wish a little more had been added so we would feel for the characters. I was surprised when I saw that the movie was under two hours. I expected it to be longer to do it justice, and it did need more time--to give the characters some development and to let the movie breathe. It was important scene on top of important scene. It felt rushed, and it didn't need to be that way.

Old November 4th, 2013, 1:25 pm
Rocket Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelantzer View Post
YES! all of what you said. I feel like it was a good adaptation but not a great one. Something was definitely missing but it was a fairly accurate representation of the book

Quote:

YES! Character development was particularly lacking. Especially when it came to the members of Ender's Jeesh, Valentine and Peter. Peter was almost an after thought. I agree about the political subplot as well. I think it was fine that it was cut from the movie, while its interesting there just wasn't enough time to do everything that needed to be done, and it was an easy thing to get rid of.

There was also a lack of story development in my mind. I think those that haven't read the book were at a serious disadvantage when it came to understanding the decisions Ender made and how he came to the conclusions he did. The movie needed more battle room scenes to really clearly show how Ender adapted to the shifting rules.

I enjoyed the movie, minus the ending (last 10-20 minutes or so). It fell completely flat and in my opinion dragged the rest of the movie down. It felt tacked on at the end just to prove a point. I wish they had shortened that scene a bit and maybe used the extra time for some character or story development.

All in all I enjoyed it but I think it could have been done so much better. I almost wish it had been two movies or a miniseries. There just wasn't enough time to show everything that needed to be there to really develop a clear picture.

Old November 5th, 2013, 2:29 am

I would be interested to hear from someone who hasn't read the book. Would they like the movie at all? Would they understand everything that was going on?

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion