Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Writer's Corner

Favorite genres?

Old September 23rd, 2012, 6:23 am
First Year

Favorite genres?

I was just curious...what's everyone's favorite genres to read about? To write about??

Personally, I love reading science fiction/fantasy novels if they're a series... ex. HARRY POTTER, The Hunger Games, Maximum Ride, Twilight, etc.

I also enjoy reading drama and mystery books...I love suspense and action! The Pretty Little Liars series is my favorite...it's so addicting! As for romance novels, I honestly don't read many of them, but The Pact by Jodi Picoult (same author as My Sister's Keeper, another wonderful read) is one of my favorites!!!! I recently read Thirteen Reasons Why in one night, and I loved it soo much.

I used to write sci/fi/fantasy, but it was rather difficult for me. I'm sure that one day I'll try again and it will work out! As I've grown and matured, I've discovered my passion for writing romance/drama stories. Thirteen Reasons Why is a great example of my work...I write from a teenage girl's point of view and she's going through a very rough time. The topics that I write about are very deep, like young love, depression, you name it. It's what I'm best at....I always add some suspense to my novels, because just a plain old love story tends to be boring to me. My stories are unique, and they have to intrest me...if I were looking for a new book to read, would I want to read this?

The best story for me would definitely be a science fiction novel with some romance in it, and when the words are there I'll be sure to write it!!

What about you guys, though? Hahha, I've been rambling on...but I'm curious!!!

Old September 23rd, 2012, 4:48 pm
Third Year

Re: Favorite genres?

Harry Potter is probably one of the few fantasy novels I enjoy because fantasy is not really my thing (I used to like it a lot when I was little, though).
I'm not really into reading contemporary fiction unless it has an interesting plot-line.
Mysteries can be interesting but I haven't read any so far (my favorite elementary mysteries were the A to Z Mysteries series)
My least favorite is sci-fi, it usually goes right over my head and I find it too complicated for myself lol.
I also dislike historical fiction (though I used to be quite a fan of it when I was younger) mainly because most of all the historical fiction novels I read all seem the same (if that makes any sense?).
I also tend to enjoy fiction over nonfiction although if I'm really interested in a topic and the book is well written, I will enjoy a nonfiction book (for ex. Blink: The Power of Thinking without Thinking.).
The type of books I avoid like the plague are sad/depressing novels or anything that has to deal with sensitive/"adult" themes: depression/suicide, pregnancy, drug use, etc (my friend recommended a Ellen Hopkin's novel but after reading the synopsis I put it down right away lol).
I also don't like to read lots of drama, it gets on my nerves.
Romance, or at least novels centered mainly around romance, can get boring for me really fast (ex. Perfect Chemistry).
So I guess that narrows my favorite genres down to... paranormal/supernatural fiction! I think they're are interesting and suspenseful.
Dystopian fictions are probably the novels I'm most interested in right now (ex. The Hunger Games, the Uglies trilogy + Extras).
I've also read contemparoy fiction novels with a 'supernatural/parallel universe" type twist to them (is there a name for that type of novel?). For ex. Before I Fall.

As for the books I like to write about: The books I'd like to read! I tend to write about books with a supernatural/paranormal theme to them and I like to center them in a parallel universe (meaning a universe that is similar to ours but a bit tweaked here and there).

Old September 24th, 2012, 2:53 am
Registered Animagus

Re: Favorite genres?

Action/Adventure, Historical Fiction, Mysteries, not necessarily in that order. Harry Potter is of course my favorite series. I got the ebooks as soon as they came out and read all seven books straight through again.

Since I write romance novels (historical, fantasy, contemporary), I find that I don't read them very much anymore.

Actually, I spend so much time writing and doing writing related stuff, I have very little time to read. I squeeze it in when I can. That's why I have a Kindle and the Kindle app on my Iphone so I can read wherever I'm at. Even the line in the grocery store.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Writer's Corner