Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion

Oscars 2013

Old July 1st, 2012, 5:49 pm
Second Year

Re: Oscars 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
If you research the awards they have a history of recognising genre films. If not winners, there is usually a genre film in the best picture nominees.
And yet in 2012, they went with nine instead of the usual ten nominees for Best Picture... DH2 was snubbed in favour of... nothing?

You're the weak one. And you'll never know love, or friendship. And I feel sorry for you.

I'm LightChaser4263 on Pottermore.
Feel free to add me as a friend, but please owl me first on CoS. Thanks!
Proud member of Gryffindor House in the Chamber of Secrets and on Pottermore.
Sponsored Links
Old July 1st, 2012, 5:53 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakes View Post
And yet in 2012, they went with nine instead of the usual ten nominees for Best Picture... DH2 was snubbed in favour of... nothing?
Well, I think David Fincher's The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo deserved more than an actress spot. Maybe not Best Picture, but certainly director.

Tree of Life deserved more too. I knew after watching it that it wouldn't receive the accolades it deserves. Hugo over that for cinematography? What? Tree of Life may have divided audiences narratively, but the cinematography is poetic in every sense of the word. Here are some examples. Click the thumbnail and then the image for the full resolution.

Last edited by SnapesBane; July 1st, 2012 at 6:05 pm.
Old July 2nd, 2012, 2:49 pm
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapesBane View Post
Is it because disdain for the "snub" from last year is still there?
Of course. Regardless of what you or I think about the film, it is going down in history as one of the most non-sense snubs ever! For instance, I'm sure people years from now are going to see the 100% Top Critic rating with an 8.7 average on RT and the fact that it was the Golden Tomato winner and the top box office earner of that year and wonder what the hell happened! Furthermore, there's evidence on Metacritic, IMDB, Flickchart, and the fact that the prestigious National Board of Review named it one of the 10 Best Motion Picture Films.

I've been wrongly sorted into Gryffindor!

Last edited by lcbaseball22; July 2nd, 2012 at 2:55 pm.
Old July 2nd, 2012, 2:56 pm
The Next Great Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 View Post
Of course. Regardless of what you or I think about the film, it is going down in history as one of the most non-sense snubs ever.
In years to come when the hype has died down people will regard it as a competently made movie and wonder what the fuss was about. It was the kind of film that does well in its time but it lacks resonance.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old July 2nd, 2012, 3:00 pm
Secret Keeper

^ Nah, I disagree. Anyways, I'm thinking if they continue to ignore the sort of films that they did last year it's gonna be a real crapshoot.

But here's what looks interesting to me in the second half of the year...

The Dark Knight Rises
Total Recall
The Bourne Legacy
Lawless
Gangster Squad
Killing Them Softly
Argo
Gambit
Flight
Anna Karenina
Skyfall
The Silver Linings Playbook
Les Miserables
The Hobbit
Zero Dark Thirty
The Great Gatsby
Lincoln

Only first half contenders are The Hunger Games and Avengers I'd say.

Last edited by lcbaseball22; July 2nd, 2012 at 3:05 pm.
Old July 2nd, 2012, 3:51 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
In years to come when the hype has died down people will regard it as a competently made movie and wonder what the fuss was about. It was the kind of film that does well in its time but it lacks resonance.
I thought this a mere two months after its release. I honestly don't thinks the critical reaction is at all relevant to its quality, though.

I'm not seeign how the Avengers is Oscar calibre given that it looks like Michael Bay for comic book fans and it was helmed by one of the most overrated writers alive today.

Anna Karenina and The Great Gatsby look like like an abscess of visuals and will likely be overkill.

Skyfall is Bond, and therefore exempt from any serious consideration by the Academy.

The Dark Knight Rises follows suit from Bond. It won't be taken seriously. And with Anne hathaway in it, it will likely be pulled down a notch due to her inability to act.

The Hobbit has potential, but coming off the massive success of Lord of the Rings will draw comparisons to that and critics will be hyped up and considerably underwhelmed.

Lincoln is Spielberg, so it will be Oscar Bait and will probably follow the precedence of biopics: boring with very little to like. Of course this opinion doesn't apply to The Aviator and Che, both of which I consider outliers.

I have no idea what Zero Dark Thirty is, other than it sounds like a poor first person shooter video game. Edit: Oh, it's that Kathryn Bigelow movie about Bin Laden. yeah, it has the potential to not be good, like the Hurt Locker. Let's capitalize on death to make oscar bait.

Last edited by SnapesBane; July 2nd, 2012 at 3:53 pm.
Old July 2nd, 2012, 4:35 pm
The Next Great Adventurer

Quote:
I have no idea what Zero Dark Thirty is, other than it sounds like a poor first person shooter video game. Edit: Oh, it's that Kathryn Bigelow movie about Bin Laden. yeah, it has the potential to not be good, like the Hurt Locker. Let's capitalize on death to make oscar bait.
That's a danger which is becoming apparent with the nomination of Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, that is, 9/11 films replacing Holocaust films as Oscar bait.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old July 3rd, 2012, 6:31 am
Secret Keeper

Quote:
I thought this a mere two months after its release. I honestly don't thinks the critical reaction is at all relevant to its quality, though.
Well, the critics are supposed to be the "experts"...not that I always agree with them, but it is one factor to consider and when the critics align with the public it makes for a strong case.

Quote:
I'm not seeign how the Avengers is Oscar calibre given that it looks like Michael Bay for comic book fans and it was helmed by one of the most overrated writers alive today.
I'm not really a fan of Josh Whedon myself, but The Avengers fired on all cylinders.

Quote:
Anna Karenina and The Great Gatsby look like like an abscess of visuals and will likely be overkill.
Yes, they very well could be as I already noted, however Joe Wright and Baz Luhrmann are both visionaries and when they restrain themselves a bit have put forth some very good work.

Quote:
Skyfall is Bond, and therefore exempt from any serious consideration by the Academy.
Yes, but the director is Sam Mendes so you shouldn't be so quick to dismiss it.

Quote:
The Dark Knight Rises follows suit from Bond. It won't be taken seriously. And with Anne hathaway in it, it will likely be pulled down a notch due to her inability to act.
It's Nolan and I just can't see them snubbing him again. At the least I think it'll be a make-up call for the TDK snub and perhaps another for the Inception directorial snub. Also, I find the disdain for Hathaway unfathomable. No she would not have been my first choice for the role but she's a fine actress.

Last edited by lcbaseball22; July 3rd, 2012 at 6:35 am.
Old July 3rd, 2012, 4:04 pm
Banned

Quote:
It's Nolan and I just can't see them snubbing him again. At the least I think it'll be a make-up call for the TDK snub and perhaps another for the Inception directorial snub. Also, I find the disdain for Hathaway unfathomable. No she would not have been my first choice for the role but she's a fine actress.
I can';t think of anything except Rachel Getting Married where her performance was something to write home about. She needs to stick to comedies.

Old July 4th, 2012, 7:53 am
Assistant to Minister Granger

I really disliked Rachel Getting Married and I thought Hathaway didn't really know what she was supposed to be portraying in the film. I do like her though, maybe because I'm partial to The Princess Diaries.

Old July 7th, 2012, 7:40 am
Secret Keeper

Early word on The Dark Knight Rises- http://moviehole.net/201255404first-...t-rises-online

[staff edit]

Quote:
The trilogy is greater than the sum of its parts, and for me the 3rd was the very best part of the whole story. Dark knight is a classic in its own right - it stands alone, but in this trilogy, and as a closer, this film exceeds. It's an ending that presents opportunity for thought for sure. Risky/tough story well told, brilliantly acted, great cinematography, awesome score.
Quote:
While this writer has found Anne Hathaway (of The Princess Diaries and Havoc fame) to be drab and aloof in her past roles, she is the polar opposite in The Dark Knight Rises. She not only blows away Michelle Pfeiffer’s Selina Kyle/Catwoman portrayal, she is downright intoxicating.
Quote:
The chaos wrought unto Gotham City by the Joker was merely the beginning. And Nolan manages to convey this wild ride into 165 minutes of his best work.
Quote:
The Dark Knight Rises is not only easily the best Batman movie yet, but now one of my favorite movies I've ever seen. It was unbelievable!
And last but not certainly not least!

Quote:
I'm almost afraid to post this after KOF's reactions, but i just got out of an exhibitor screening in Dallas of TDKR. It was absolutely incredible. Better than TDK in almost all ways. Whoever gave this a 9/10 is being too harsh. If this isn't a 10, then a 10 does not exist.

Rest easy everyone, Chris Nolan has outdone himself and has created a masterpiece. This may go down as one of the best movies ever. Certainly in my top 10 for best movies I've ever seen. If this does not break the mold and win Best Picture, no comic book movie ever will.
Read more: http://www.nolanfans.com/forums/view...#ixzz1zuxB8vyg

Last edited by Hes; July 7th, 2012 at 9:05 am.
Old July 7th, 2012, 7:49 am
Banned

Random internet people exclaiming "best movie ever!" does not mean a thing to me, sorry. If it's the best thing they've seen, they need to watch more.

I must also say that those aren't really reviews, in my opinion. There's no analysis.

On a related note, I did purchase an IMAX ticket.

Last edited by SnapesBane; July 7th, 2012 at 8:00 am.
Old July 7th, 2012, 8:02 am
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Random internet people exclaiming "best movie ever!" does not mean a thing to me, sorry. If it's the best thing they've seen, they need to watch more.

I must also say that those aren't really reviews, in my opinion. There's no analysis.
Perhaps you should do some research before you post because these were exhibitor screenings for members of the press (not random internet people) and there's typically an embargo on full reviews until the week of release so that's about all they can say for now.

In other news, 1 screening did NOT go well, but it wasn't the fault of the film- http://www.deadline.com/2012/07/the-...snt-for-media/

Last edited by lcbaseball22; July 7th, 2012 at 8:05 am.
Old July 7th, 2012, 8:04 am
Banned

My point still stands, though. If it's the best movie they've seen, they need to see more.

Quote:
The Dark Knight Rises is not only easily the best Batman movie yet, but now one of my favorite movies I've ever seen. It was unbelievable!
Does that look like the rhetoric of someone from the press? But if it is, it's still irrelevant to me, which was my major point. I don't care what these people say. They will hype it up and I won't care. I'm seeing it because I want to, not because the critics say it's good. In fact, I bought an IMAX ticket yesterday.

I think it has the potential to be a good movie, but I doubt it will be of high enough qwuality for me to consider it award worthy outside of technicals.

Last edited by SnapesBane; July 7th, 2012 at 8:11 am.
Old July 7th, 2012, 8:08 am
Secret Keeper

Quote:
My point still stands, though. If it's the best movie they've seen, they need to see more.
Not necessarily. If Nolan truly did outdo himself it's quite justified to say such.

P.S. Note that I'm hardly a Batman and/or comic book fan but it's Nolan and there's really not much else to anticipate/follow right now

Last edited by lcbaseball22; July 7th, 2012 at 8:14 am.
Old July 7th, 2012, 8:13 am
Banned

Quote:
Not necessarily. If Nolan truly did outdo himself it's quite justified.
Oh, I can see that. It is certainly possible that he outdoes himself. But outdoing himself does not mean he outdoes other directors and films that have yet to be released.

I personally find the "if this doesn't win best picture" remarks for any movie this early in the game to be odd. It's like saying everything else won't surpass said movie. How do we know the Hobbit won't be better? Django Unchained? The master?

Old July 7th, 2012, 8:19 am
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Oh, I can see that. It is certainly possible that he outdoes himself. But outdoing himself does not mean he outdoes other directors and films that have yet to be released.
Well, yes and no. It's the opinion of many (including myself) that Christopher Nolan is if not THE best modern director right up there at the top with 'em. Besides, 2012 isn't a year like last where Scorsese, Fincher, and Spielberg all had movies released. It's Nolan's for the taking.

Last edited by lcbaseball22; July 7th, 2012 at 8:24 am.
Old July 7th, 2012, 8:56 am
Banned

Quote:
Well, yes and no. It's the opinion of many (including myself) that Christopher Nolan is if not THE best modern director right up there at the top with 'em. Besides, 2012 isn't a year like last where Scorsese, Fincher, and Spielberg all had movies released. It's Nolan's for the taking.
I think Nolan is better than Spielberg for sure. Post 2002 Spielberg, anyway. But I do not think he's better than Fincher. Fuincher's movies are so well constructed that hollywood trash like Panic Room is fun to watch even thpough it is not stimulating.

Don't get me wrong. I like a few Nolan flicks, particularly Insomnia, Inception, Batman Begins, and The Dark Knight. I don;t consider them among the best films I've seen, though.

Last edited by SnapesBane; July 7th, 2012 at 9:09 am.
Old July 7th, 2012, 11:15 pm
Secret Keeper

Quote:
I think Nolan is better than Spielberg for sure. Post 2002 Spielberg, anyway. But I do not think he's better than Fincher. Fuincher's movies are so well constructed that hollywood trash like Panic Room is fun to watch even thpough it is not stimulating.

Don't get me wrong. I like a few Nolan flicks, particularly Insomnia, Inception, Batman Begins, and The Dark Knight. I don;t consider them among the best films I've seen, though.
Well, I have a lot of respect for Fincher and I wouldn't rate any of his films less than a B but none are really among my favorites. Whereas with Nolan I don't rate any less then a B AND 3 are among my all time favorites. BTW, I'm guessing you haven't seen Memento cause that one is a masterpiece. Also for a fantastic debut film that really showcases Nolan's talents from the start of his career check out Following.

P.S. I agree on 21st Century Spielberg, though I was quite satisfied with Catch Me If You Can and Munich; a solid B+ for each of those.

Speaking of Spielberg, does anyone know what the deal is with Lincoln? Is it getting released this year or not? I haven't seen a date...

Last edited by lcbaseball22; July 7th, 2012 at 11:28 pm.
Old July 7th, 2012, 11:38 pm
Banned

I saw memento a long time ago but I do not remember anything other than liking it.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion