Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Writer's Corner

Under/Over Fluffing.

Old May 29th, 2012, 4:59 pm
First Year

Under/Over Fluffing.

Hello. I am writing a story, and I am worried about putting to much details in about characters, or telling too little, too early. I also do not want to over analyze small details. Sometimes I think that over analyzing is a sign of nervousness, like when a girls crush is talking to her, she suddenly realizes the floor pattern or how tasty her lunch is. I don't know how to portray that quite yet.

Old May 30th, 2012, 7:21 pm
First Year

Re: Under/Over Fluffing.

Just try to save over analyzation for those nervous moments. Ptherwise, just write what you feel is best, the go back over it. If you are a bit iffy, have someone read that particular part and ask them how it makes them feel is going on.

Old May 31st, 2012, 3:48 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoonyLurvgood View Post
Hello. I am writing a story, and I am worried about putting to much details in about characters, or telling too little, too early. I also do not want to over analyze small details. Sometimes I think that over analyzing is a sign of nervousness, like when a girls crush is talking to her, she suddenly realizes the floor pattern or how tasty her lunch is. I don't know how to portray that quite yet.
I suggest you write up a short bio for each of your characters. Describe how they look, their personalities, jobs, relatives, etc. That way, you already know who your characters are and how they'll react to situations. Once you have that clearly in mind, you'll find it easier to plug in just enough information in the right place.

Old July 22nd, 2012, 5:36 am
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Write only what matters to the plot, or what shows the personality of the characters.

Old July 22nd, 2012, 6:13 am
Fifth Year

I agree with AldeberanBlack. What I find easiest is just go with the flow on the first time, and then come back to it after a time (like a few days or something), and you'll be able to see it again with fresh eyes, and maybe even see how it makes you feel and where it could be done better. Some people say not to edit at all as you go, but to wait till the end. Personally, I edit tiny wee things as I go myself, but not too much.

Then let my heart be hardened,
And never mind how high the cost may grow,
This will still be so:
I WILL NEVER LET YOUR PEOPLE GO.

Old July 23rd, 2012, 3:00 am
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina View Post
I agree with AldeberanBlack. What I find easiest is just go with the flow on the first time, and then come back to it after a time (like a few days or something), and you'll be able to see it again with fresh eyes, and maybe even see how it makes you feel and where it could be done better. Some people say not to edit at all as you go, but to wait till the end. Personally, I edit tiny wee things as I go myself, but not too much.
You have to keep a balance with the editing. When I start the day's work, I go back and read a page or two and touch them up a bit, but I save major edits until I'm completely done.

Old July 23rd, 2012, 4:22 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoonyLurvgood View Post
What kinds of details are you talking about? Is it the color of your character's hair, which is probably unimportant unless there is a compelling reason to fixate on it? (Lily's green eyes) Or is it a detail that needs to be mentioned so that the reader understands something later in the book? (Moody drinking from his hip flask - full of polyjuice potion) Unless it's important to the plot I'd say leave it out and if your beta readers don't understand the story without that detail than add it in.

Also, where are you in the writing process? Are you on an early draft? If you are I'd say don't worry too much about getting the details right and just get the story down on paper and go back and edit and add later. If you're in a later draft you could hand it to some beta readers (a friend or family member or writing group) and ask them to mark passages that seem overly detailed or unimportant or, similarly, mark passages that seem to want more details.

If your character is the one that is supposed to be over-analyzing things, are they over-analyzing every single situation or only situations pertaining to one character or one mystery?

Old September 24th, 2012, 9:29 pm
Third Year

I think you should just describe the characters as naturally as it comes to you, but when you edit the story out, ask yourself if its too 'fluffy'. Also, you can have a honest friend read it and give you feedback. Or you could post that part of your story on an online writing community and get feedback.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Writer's Corner