Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion

Cabin in the Woods

Old April 18th, 2012, 3:01 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Cabin in the Woods

I saw the movie on Monday and it was pretty awesome. Easily the best movie I've seen this year. I think their promotion wasn't very good though. It seemed like a typical Texas Chainsaw Massacre kind of horror when it was far more brilliant in the concept.

Sponsored Links
Old April 20th, 2012, 7:20 pm
Queen of Apathy

Re: Cabin in the Woods (April 2012)

Lol every where I look I see praise for this movie. I am in the minority. I really did not like this movie. I went in expecting a horror movie and came out having watched a horror comedy. It was funny in some parts but not enough to carry the movie imo. Towards the end I felt the movie bordered on terrible.

Old April 21st, 2012, 4:44 am
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

Re: Cabin in the Woods (April 2012)

I'm with alwaysme on this one. I saw the film yesterday for my birthday, and I was beyond disappointed.

Now, let me say... I've seen a lot of horror movies. I've written on a lot of horror movies. I've seen a bunch of this film's antecedents - the Texas Chainsaw movies, the Evil Dead movies, the Scream movies, massive numbers of zombie movies, tons of slasher films, (and of course) a good number of films by Bava, Argento, and Fulci. Heck, I've even seen Battle Royale!!! I am not squeamish, and I am well acquainted with the "cabin in the woods" trope. I went into this film fully expecting to have a good time.

Instead, I left the film feeling depressed, repulsed, and irritated.

I did not find the film scary... not even for one moment. I did find it somewhat clever - but clever in a way that drew way too much attention to itself. Ultimately I just found the film cynical and nihilistic. And I am not a nihilist.

That said, there were a couple of funny jokes...

Spoiler: show

The whole "Am I on speaker phone?!?" scene - hilarious.

The explanation of the difference between "Zombies" and "Zombie Redneck Torture Family" - hilarious

Oh... and the skins inside the gas station were a great visual reference to Texas Chainsaw. Actually, pretty much whole gas station scene was a tribute to Texas Chainsaw.

Anyway, aside from a few good jokes, I really didn't like this film. At all. Sorry.

Hogsmeade Awards 2013: Voted #1 - Biggest Cat Lover | Voted #2 - Most Creative Member |
Voted #2 - Most Likely to Make a Doctor Who Reference

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!
Old May 3rd, 2012, 11:45 pm
Seventh Year

Re: Cabin in the Woods

It seems pretty much everyone who was disappointed with the film went in expecting a straight-up (or close) horror movie. That's not what I was expecting. I went in expecting a movie that had decidedly more emphasis on satire, and that's what I got. Too clever for its own good? Perhaps. But if you don't like the Scream movies, you could also say that about those. Actually, I love the Scream movies, and I think that about those to some extent. And I guess I think that about this to some extent, but that didn't stop me from loving this movie. It pretty much all worked for me. Like I said, I was expecting satire, but even so, it wasn't delivered in the way I expected. I haven't decided if I think it's actually great, but I did have a great time with it.

Old May 4th, 2012, 12:53 pm
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IenjoyAcidPops View Post
It seems pretty much everyone who was disappointed with the film went in expecting a straight-up (or close) horror movie. That's not what I was expecting. I went in expecting a movie that had decidedly more emphasis on satire, and that's what I got. Too clever for its own good? Perhaps. But if you don't like the Scream movies, you could also say that about those. Actually, I love the Scream movies, and I think that about those to some extent. And I guess I think that about this to some extent, but that didn't stop me from loving this movie. It pretty much all worked for me. Like I said, I was expecting satire, but even so, it wasn't delivered in the way I expected. I haven't decided if I think it's actually great, but I did have a great time with it.
One of our friends reviewed this movie positively for the Star-Ledger, and I usually track with his tastes. So I went in fully expecting clever satirical meta-horror, just like the Scream movies.

What I got instead was cynical, nihilistic meta-horror that never managed to get me engaged because it was too busy trying to be cynically clever and cool. Successful meta-horror imo is both clever and scary (cf. Scream, Shaun of the Dead). This was never scary.

I totally "get" what the movie was trying to do. I can even spend hours dissecting, analyzing, and discussing its implied sociological meanings. I just didn't like the movie.

In short: I love clever satirical meta-horror and went in thinking I was going to love this movie as much as I loved the Scream films and Shaun of the Dead. Instead, I found it excruciating. I started wishing I was somewhere else almost as soon as the film began.

Nihilism is just not my sensibility.

Hogsmeade Awards 2013: Voted #1 - Biggest Cat Lover | Voted #2 - Most Creative Member |
Voted #2 - Most Likely to Make a Doctor Who Reference

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!

Last edited by ccollinsmith; May 4th, 2012 at 1:40 pm.
Old May 4th, 2012, 2:35 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccollinsmith View Post
One of our friends reviewed this movie positively for the Star-Ledger, and I usually track with his tastes. So I went in fully expecting clever satirical meta-horror, just like the Scream movies.

What I got instead was cynical, nihilistic meta-horror that never managed to get me engaged because it was too busy trying to be cynically clever and cool. Successful meta-horror imo is both clever and scary (cf. Scream, Shaun of the Dead). This was never scary.

I totally "get" what the movie was trying to do. I can even spend hours dissecting, analyzing, and discussing its implied sociological meanings. I just didn't like the movie.

In short: I love clever satirical meta-horror and went in thinking I was going to love this movie as much as I loved the Scream films and Shaun of the Dead. Instead, I found it excruciating. I started wishing I was somewhere else almost as soon as the film began.

Nihilism is just not my sensibility.
I wasn't accusing you in particular of not getting it, I was remarking on something I've seen. I didn't find it nihilistic, either. Cynical yes, but most satire is, and I am, so that worked for me.

Last edited by IenjoyAcidPops; May 4th, 2012 at 2:37 pm.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion