Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Ravenclaw House: Character Analysis

Old April 1st, 2012, 11:54 am
Embroidered by imaginatio

Ravenclaw House: Character Analysis

The welcome letter to Ravenclaw House at Pottermore gives us more information about one of the more mysterious houses at Hogwarts.

Ravenclaw
House History:
Spoiler: show
Congratulations! I’m Prefect Robert Hilliard, and I’m delighted to welcome you to RAVENCLAW HOUSE. Our emblem is the eagle, which soars where others cannot climb; our house colors are blue and bronze, and our common room is found at the top of Ravenclaw Tower, behind a door with an enchanted knocker. The arched windows set into the walls of our circular common room look down at the school grounds: the lake, the Forbidden Forest, the Quidditch pitch and the Herbology gardens. No other house in the school has such stunning views.

Without wishing to boast, this is the house where the cleverest witches and wizards live. Our founder, Rowena Ravenclaw, prized learning above all else – and so do we. Unlike the other houses, who all have concealed entrances to their common rooms, we don’t need one. The door to our common room lies at the top of a tall, winding staircase. It has no handle, but an enchanted bronze knocker in the shape of an eagle. When you rap on the door, this knocker will ask you a question, and if you can answer it correctly, you are allowed in. This simple barrier has kept out everyone but Ravenclaws for nearly a thousand years.

Some first-years are scared by having to answer the eagle’s questions, but don’t worry. Ravenclaws learn quickly, and you’ll soon enjoy the challenges the door sets. It’s not unusual to find twenty people standing outside the common room door, all trying to work out the answer to the day’s question together. This is a great way to meet fellow Ravenclaws from other years, and to learn from them – although it is a bit annoying if you’ve forgotten your Quidditch robes and need to get in and out in a hurry. In fact, I’d advise you to triple-check your bag for everything you need before leaving Ravenclaw Tower.

Another cool thing about Ravenclaw is that our people are the most individual – some might even call them eccentrics. But geniuses are often out of step with ordinary folk, and unlike some other houses we could mention, we think you’ve got the right to wear what you like, believe what you want, and say what you feel. We aren’t put off by people who march to a different tune; on the contrary, we value them!

Speaking of eccentrics, you’ll like our Head of house, Professor Filius Flitwick. People often underestimate him, because he’s really tiny (we think he’s part elf, but we’ve never been rude enough to ask) and he’s got a squeaky voice, but he’s the best and most knowledgeable Charms master alive in the world today. His office door is always open to any Ravenclaw with a problem, and if you’re in a real state he’ll get out these delicious little cupcakes he keeps in a tin in his desk drawer and make them do a little dance for you. In fact, it’s worth pretending you’re in a real state just to see them jive.

Ravenclaw house has an illustrious history. Most of the greatest wizarding inventors and innovators were in our house, including Perpetua Fancourt, the inventor of the lunascope, Laverne de Montmorency, a great pioneer of love potions, and Ignatia Wildsmith, the inventor of Floo powder. Famous Ravenclaw Ministers for Magic include Millicent Bagnold, who was in power on the night that Harry Potter survived the Dark Lord’s curse, and defended the wizarding celebrations all over Britain with the words, ‘I assert our inalienable right to party. There was also Minister Lorcan McLaird, who was a quite brilliant wizard, but preferred to communicate by puffing smoke out of the end of his wand. Well, I did say we produce eccentrics. In fact, we are also the house that gave the wizarding world Uric the Oddball, who used a jellyfish for a hat. He’s the punch line of a lot of wizarding jokes.

As for our relationship with the other three houses: well, you’ve probably heard about the Slytherins. They’re not all bad, but you’d do well to be on your guard until you know them well. They’ve got a long house tradition of doing whatever it takes to win – so watch out, especially in Quidditch matches and exams.

The Gryffindors are OK. If I had a criticism, I’d say Gryffindors tend to be show-offs. They’re also much less tolerant than we are of people who are different; in fact, they’ve been known to make jokes about Ravenclaws who have developed an interest in levitation, or the possible magical uses of troll bogies, or ovomancy, which (as you probably know) is a method of divination using eggs. Gryffindors haven’t got our intellectual curiosity, whereas we’ve got no problem if you want to spend your days and nights cracking eggs in a corner of the common room and writing down your predictions according to the way the yolks fall. In fact, you’ll probably find a few people to help you.

As for the Hufflepuffs, well, nobody could say they’re not nice people. In fact, they’re some of the nicest people in the school. Let’s just say you needn’t worry too much about them when it comes to competition at exam time.

I think that’s nearly everything. Oh yes, our house ghost is the Gray Lady. The rest of the school thinks she never speaks, but she’ll talk to Ravenclaws. She’s particularly useful if you’re lost, or you’ve mislaid something.

I’m sure you’ll have a good night. Our dormitories are in turrets off the main tower; our four-poster beds are covered in sky blue silk eiderdowns and the sound of the wind whistling around the windows is very relaxing.

And once again: well done on becoming a member of the cleverest, quirkiest and most interesting house at Hogwarts.

Previous threads: Post-DH and Pre-DH

1. From the welcome letter we learn a lot about Ravenclaw house, how it must feel to be a newly sorted Ravenclaw. Do you think new Ravenclaws feel straight away at home in their house, or is it all a bit daunting?

2. We learn more about Head of House Filius Flitwick in the welcome letter. What kind of Head of House was Flitwick?

3. Ravenclaw has had some famous alumni such as key characters Luna Lovegood, Ollivander, Quirrell but also inventors, innovators, ministry officials and the occasional oddball. What makes Ravenclaw House such a good breeding ground for these rather individual but talented characters?

4. Ravenclaw prefect Robert Hilliard talks about the other houses and seems especially critical of Gryffindor. What do you think about his comments?

5. The prefects of other houses also share their view on Ravenclaw. Do you think that they give a fair account of Ravenclaw House.

6. Has the new information changed your view of Ravenclaw House?

Last edited by SusanBones; April 15th, 2012 at 5:11 pm. Reason: added House welcome letter
Sponsored Links
Old April 14th, 2012, 9:04 pm
Seventh Year

Re: Ravenclaw House: Character Analysis

I think the thing which surprised some, for lack of a better term, is how "offbeat" the house seems to be. Flitwick even has dancing cupcakes

One strong characteristic which really stands out to me is how independent its members are. The group doesn't think in terms of "groups" - it thinks in terms of "individuals." This emphasis is why those who are a bit unusual often feel at home in Ravenclaw, and why some are considered "oddballs."

When I'm 80 years old and sitting in my rocking chair, I'll be reading Harry Potter.
My family will say to me, “After all this time?”
And I will say, “Always.”
- source unknown
Old April 14th, 2012, 10:05 pm
Ordo Lebes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryLore View Post
One strong characteristic which really stands out to me is how independent its members are. The group doesn't think in terms of "groups" - it thinks in terms of "individuals." This emphasis is why those who are a bit unusual often feel at home in Ravenclaw, and why some are considered "oddballs."
That description really seemed strange to me, because Luna, the most "oddball" character in the books, had a really hard time finding friends in her own house and they were probably the ones to keep stealing her possessions as no one else would have access to her dormitory. The people who ended up accepting her were (mostly) Gryffindors.

Believe me. I never betrayed James and Lily. I would have died before I betrayed them.
Old April 14th, 2012, 10:15 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyDreamsOn View Post
That description really seemed strange to me, because Luna, the most "oddball" character in the books, had a really hard time finding friends in her own house and they were probably the ones to keep stealing her possessions as no one else would have access to her dormitory. The people who ended up accepting her were (mostly) Gryffindors.
I agree, I always tended to see Ravenclaws as yes, intelligent and clever but a little more snooty than you'd think and a little more elitist. I could see hipsters being Ravenclaws. I don't mean to insult anyone and I'm not saying all Ravenclaws are alike but going by canon, where an oddball like Luna is bullied and ostracized by her own house, I think it's safe to say they have their clicks and if you don't fit in with their view of the world, they might think lesser of you.

Hufflepuff through and through! On COS and Pottermore!
Fair, Just, Loyal and unafraid of Toil

Old April 14th, 2012, 10:25 pm
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post
1. From the welcome letter we learn a lot about Ravenclaw house, how it must feel to be a newly sorted Ravenclaw. Do you think new Ravenclaws feel straight away at home in their house, or is it all a bit daunting?
I read the welcome letters for all the Houses on the first day of the Beta, and before I read them, I was fully expecting/hoping to go into Ravenclaw. I can't speak for anyone else, but I found the Ravenclaw philosophy and history a bit alienating and quickly started hoping that I'd sort into Merlin's House instead.

I can't really imagine, though, that my own reaction is how the letter seems to people (like my friend MerryLore) who truly belong in Ravenclaw House. I would imagine that for true Ravenclaws, the prefect's introduction to their House resonates with them and excites them... or at least piques their interest and curiosity. Me, I'd rather stay out of the flobberworm mucus research initiative, if you know what I mean.

As for daunting... yeah, it might be pretty daunting to learn that you have to work out a riddle in order to get into the Ravenclaw Common Room, but other than that, I would imagine that new Ravenclaws settle in quite nicely.

Quote:
2. We learn more about Head of House Filius Flitwick in the welcome letter. What kind of Head of House was Flitwick?
Flitwick is pretty much what I expected him to be. He's presented in the books as caring, compassionate, charming, and excitable (in a good way). In Pottermore, we learn that he's accessible to his students - which, actually, we could have inferred from Hermione's relationship with him, and she's not even a Ravenclaw. Flitwick is one of my favorite characters, and the welcome letter only enhanced my impression of him.

Quote:
3. Ravenclaw has had some famous alumni such as key characters Luna Lovegood, Ollivander, Quirrell but also inventors, innovators, ministry officials and the occasional oddball. What makes Ravenclaw House such a good breeding ground for these rather individual but talented characters?
It encourages individualism and experimentation. Unfortunately, as we see in Quirrell (and to a much lesser extent in Ollivander) Ravenclaw's emphasis can also lead to a quest for knowledge without regard for right and wrong. Based on what we do know about Ravenclaw, I would imagine that Doctor Frankenstein would have been in Ravenclaw if he had possessed magic.

Quote:
4. Ravenclaw prefect Robert Hilliard talks about the other houses and seems especially critical of Gryffindor. What do you think about his comments?
I didn't find Hilliard's comments to be especially critical of Gryffindor. I thought the Gryffindor comments were aimed more at satirizing some of Ravenclaw's interests and preoccupations, by showing them through skeptical Gryffindor eyes.

I think the Ravenclaw House comment that caused the biggest uproar last August, actually, was the one concerning Hufflepuff, not the one concerning Gryffindor. I personally see Hilliard's comment as indicating that Hufflepuff is not terribly competitive. But it can be (and has been) read as indicating that Hufflepuff is not terribly smart.

Quote:
5. The prefects of other houses also share their view on Ravenclaw. Do you think that they give a fair account of Ravenclaw House.
All the welcome letters (except Percy's) talk trash about the other Houses. So the accounts of Ravenclaw are probably about as fair as the letters get.

I actually found the comments from the Slytherin and Hufflepuff prefects to be fairly enlightening. Gemma of Slytherin castigates Ravenclaw for competing amongst themselves and being willing to climb over each other in order to get the best marks (whereas she claims that Slytherins look out for each other). However, I imagine that one of my Ravenclaw friends will say that Gemma is just not "getting" Ravenclaw individualism and is reading it through a Slytherin-solidarity lens.

Regardless of Gemma's perspective, Gabriel of Hufflepuff provides what I find to be the most enlightening comment when he mentions dueling a Ravenclaw prefect who claimed that the greatest arithmancer of all time (a Hufflepuff) came from Ravenclaw. Gabriel's comment actually confirms the picture the books give of Ravenclaw.

Remember when the Ravenclaws were shocked in OotP that somebody as smart as Hermione was not in Ravenclaw? As that instance and Gabriel's comment show, the Ravenclaws seem to think that all intelligence belongs in Ravenclaw... and they've managed to create a pretty effective PR campaign to that effect (both within the Wizarding World and among fandom). The evidence shows, though, that intelligence transcends House.

Quote:
Yes. It changed my view of Ravenclaw pretty drastically, to tell the truth. I like the "offbeat"-ness of the House. But I don't like its intellectual snobbery... and what I might term its "greed" to collect all intelligence under the Ravenclaw banner.

At the same time, Ravenclaw still has one of the greatest quotes in Wizarding history. On the day Voldemort disappeared after casting the AK against baby Harry, Millicent Bagnold (Ravenclaw Minister of Magic) refused to ban the celebrations. Despite the celebrations' arousing the suspicions of Muggles, the famous Ravenclaw declared:

"I assert our inalienable right to party!"

How can you not love Ravenclaw?

Hogsmeade Awards 2013: Voted #1 - Biggest Cat Lover | Voted #2 - Most Creative Member |
Voted #2 - Most Likely to Make a Doctor Who Reference

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!

Last edited by ccollinsmith; April 14th, 2012 at 10:28 pm.
Old April 15th, 2012, 6:21 am
Seventh Year

One of the most interesting things I saw in the introduction letter was that it's stated that by not having passwords but instead asking riddles of those wishing entrance that it has kept everyone but Ravenclaws out of the common room and/or Ravenclaw tower for the millenia that Hogwarts has been in existence.

But McGonagall was able to gain access in DH.

Yes, she might have been almost a Ravenclaw herself (according to Pottermore, is that giving something away? I don't know what's supposed to be "kept secret" anymore!) but she was eventually sorted into Gryffindor so according to the introductory letter she either shouldn't have been able to gain entrance or the introductory letter is incorrect.

I totally identify with Ravenclaw, both before I was sorted into it in Pottermore and especially more afterwards in terms of the individualism and the eccentricities, but not so much in the blind ambition to be the best or do anything to be the best.

Old April 15th, 2012, 8:27 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddess_Clio View Post
One of the most interesting things I saw in the introduction letter was that it's stated that by not having passwords but instead asking riddles of those wishing entrance that it has kept everyone but Ravenclaws out of the common room and/or Ravenclaw tower for the millenia that Hogwarts has been in existence.

I'd argue that as McGonagall was a teacher she would have been able to gain entry. I'm sure other teachers must be able to access house common rooms. However it may be another sign of Ravenclaws arrogance. The house welcome letter makes it clear that, because of the houses history and general intellect, Ravenclaws are incredibly proud of their house and see it as superior to others. If they genuinely believed that all of the highest intellectuals were a member of Ravenclaw they may believe that no-one would be able to solve the riddles. The riddle may keep most other houses way that they believe it to be secure.

Quote:
I totally identify with Ravenclaw, both before I was sorted into it in Pottermore and especially more afterwards in terms of the individualism and the eccentricities, but not so much in the blind ambition to be the best or do anything to be the best.
I can identify with the ambition and desire to be the best. I'm assuming many Ravenclaws have a sense of perfectionism and if, as implied, they are arrogant in regards to their intellect they would believe they are the best; and would want to prove it. Much to my friends annoyance, I can often act like this. I don't think it's a desire to discredit others by being better than them, simply a need to prove their own intellect and ability.

Twitter - @NiallJAdams
Old April 15th, 2012, 1:17 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Yes, she might have been almost a Ravenclaw herself (according to Pottermore, is that giving something away? I don't know what's supposed to be "kept secret" anymore!) but she was eventually sorted into Gryffindor so according to the introductory letter she either shouldn't have been able to gain entrance or the introductory letter is incorrect.
She was a hatstall between Gryffindor and Ravenclaw, which to me means she's still able to think like a Ravenclaw and therefore riddle out the password. She's also Deputy Headmistress, which can't hurt.

When I'm 80 years old and sitting in my rocking chair, I'll be reading Harry Potter.
- source unknown
Old April 15th, 2012, 3:38 pm
Ordo Lebes

Quote:

I honestly thought that was all talk. All the prefects were harping on about how no one outside had entered their common room for centuries, but they clearly weren't aware of things like Harry and Ron sneaking in to Slytherin, and I highly doubt they were the first to ever do it, especially with people like Fred and George and the Marauders.

Believe me. I never betrayed James and Lily. I would have died before I betrayed them.
Old April 15th, 2012, 4:13 pm
The Potions Master

Harry solves the sphinx's riddle during the third task of the Triwizard tournament so I'm not sure why they woukd think no one else could gain entrance. And if someone tried often enough, they might guess it just from sheer dumb luck.

Mugglenet.com Editorial: The Flaw in the Plan
Potion notes: noxspell.org

NoxSpell7790 on Pottermore and still Slytherin!
Ebony, Phoenix Feather, 11-3/4" . . . Unyielding

Old April 16th, 2012, 6:23 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyDreamsOn View Post
I honestly thought that was all talk. All the prefects were harping on about how no one outside had entered their common room for centuries, but they clearly weren't aware of things like Harry and Ron sneaking in to Slytherin, and I highly doubt they were the first to ever do it, especially with people like Fred and George and the Marauders.
Yeah, based on the other house introduction letters you kind of have to assume that all houses have an arrogance about the sanctity of their common rooms and invincibility of their methods of access. Even the Hufflepuffs go on a bit about how no one in 1000+ years has ever gained access to their common room.

As for the teachers having access, I do believe they have access to every area of the castle save, perhaps, other teachers private quarters and maybe Dumbledore's office, but if they then have access to all the house common rooms and have entered them then the houses can't say that "nobody but those from our own house have ever gained access to our common room."

Old April 16th, 2012, 10:07 am
Embroidered by imaginatio

But the Carrows did need help to enter the Ravenclaw Common Room, so access isn't an automatic teacher privilege imo. You have to use your brains to enter.

"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."

Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer
Old April 16th, 2012, 4:55 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
But the Carrows did need help to enter the Ravenclaw Common Room, so access isn't an automatic teacher privilege imo. You have to use your brains to enter.
This is true, but at the very least, I think Dumbledore would ensure that those who would need to be able to access all the house common rooms (the Deputy Headmaster/mistress, possibly all the heads of houses and similarly "high-ranking" teachers) would have been smart enough to figure out the riddles. For instance, Trelawney, as a "regular" teacher, has virtually no need to visit the student common rooms but McGonagall, as Deputy Headmistress, does have a certain requirement to be able to access all areas of the school, therefore, I think The Deputy Headmaster/mistress has to meet certain requirements of intelligence level or capabilities in deductive thinking in order to get that job; it would be rather embarassing for the Deputy Headmaster/mistress to have to wait for a Ravenclaw first year to come by to answer the riddle and gain entrance into the tower.

The Carrows didn't seem to be hired to promoted to their position based on qualifications or intelligence or anything; they were put there to be the watchdogs for the Death Eaters and Voldemort.

(A brief aside, I'm finding it kind of amusing that the Ravenclaw House CA thread has the most replies so far - it's so fitting that the Ravenclaws immediately begin analysing their house based on the new Pottermore info! )

Old April 16th, 2012, 6:28 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfDeath View Post
I agree, I always tended to see Ravenclaws as yes, intelligent and clever but a little more snooty than you'd think and a little more elitist. I could see hipsters being Ravenclaws. I don't mean to insult anyone and I'm not saying all Ravenclaws are alike but going by canon, where an oddball like Luna is bullied and ostracized by her own house, I think it's safe to say they have their clicks and if you don't fit in with their view of the world, they might think lesser of you.
Maybe I'm wrong, but for some reason i get the impression that Ravenclaws often feel ostracized. I think they're independent and loners to an extent by nature, as well as competitive. When they go looking for friendship, they often prefer to "sit at a different table."

Cho Chang - sure, she had friends, but she dated a Hufflepuff and a Gryffindor.
Luna - as you mentioned, was bullied and spent time with the Gryffindors.
Myrtle - bullied in life, and seemed to relate to Draco, and liked Harry
Quirrell - a loner who felt powerless, he had studied the Dark Arts and went after Voldemort to have a little renown (Pottermore)
Flitwick - the only character in the book with dwarf heritage. He got along with everyone and never played favorites within his own house.
Ollivander - struck me as an "intellectual", and he never seemed to favor his own house as well.

- source unknown
Old April 16th, 2012, 7:46 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

I think it depends. Students not very confident in their intellectual prowess might find the password system and their older/more confident housemantes intimidating. Others might find it a fascinating challenge (which is how I always thought I would react. Though maybe this is why I am in another House on Pottermore).

He sounds like he is a supportive and fun Head of House.

That apparently, they tolerate individual eccentricity to a considerably greater degree than mosr schoolchildren, I would guess.

I find them in line with the canon behavior of Gryffindor students, for the most part. They are of course generalizations, I think there are examples of intellectually curious Gryffindors ( Dumbledore, for one, and perhaps Hermione), or ones who were not show-offs (Peter Pettigrew, Remus Lupin), or ones who were more tolerant of oddness (Ginny Weasley).

Yes, a little. I was surprised how typical Luna is in some ways, I had thought her an oddball in her own House when we heard about the tricks people played on her, but it must be for some other reason...

Quote:
She was a hatstall between Gryffindor and Ravenclaw, which to me means she's still able to think like a Ravenclaw and therefore riddle out the password. She's also Deputy Headmistress, which can't hurt.
I think the Prefect's statement is a statement of opinion of that character (albeit a widely shared one). I doubt it is a fact, I find it more logical to suppose that any sufficiently well-read and flexible individual might be able to answer an individual riddle of the door. (And many Ravenclaws on a given day might fail, hence this being a great way to meet new people. )

“Death is the only pure, beautiful conclusion of a great passion.”-D. H. Lawrence

All was well.

Avatar by nerwende, signature art by sigune, used with permission.
Old April 16th, 2012, 8:47 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by arithmancer View Post
I think the Prefect's statement is a statement of opinion of that character (albeit a widely shared one). I doubt it is a fact, I find it more logical to suppose that any sufficiently well-read and flexible individual might be able to answer an individual riddle of the door. (And many Ravenclaws on a given day might fail, hence this being a great way to meet new people. )
According to Pottermore, McGonagall, as well as Flitwick, were both Gryffindor and Ravenclaw hatstalls. It's in Chapter 7, in the section where it gives more detail about McGonagall's character.

- source unknown
Old April 16th, 2012, 9:12 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

Quote:
According to Pottermore, McGonagall, as well as Flitwick, were both Gryffindor and Ravenclaw hatstalls. It's in Chapter 7, in the section where it gives more detail about McGonagall's character.
I was not denying she was a Hatstall, I was suggesting this was not required for her success in entering the House Common Room during DH. I would guess Severus Snape, or Albus Dumbledore, or Newt Scamander, would have good odds of answering a riddle to gain entrance as well. (To name three intelligent representatives of other Houses not known to have been Hatstalls with Ravenclaw).

“Death is the only pure, beautiful conclusion of a great passion.”-D. H. Lawrence

All was well.

Avatar by nerwende, signature art by sigune, used with permission.
Old April 16th, 2012, 9:23 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by arithmancer View Post
I was not denying she was a Hatstall, I was suggesting this was not required for her success in entering the House Common Room during DH. I would guess Severus Snape, or Albus Dumbledore, or Newt Scamander, would have good odds of answering a riddle to gain entrance as well. (To name three intelligent representatives of other Houses not known to have been Hatstalls with Ravenclaw).
I'm sorry - I thought that's why you quoted me.

I think anyone who could think like a Ravenclaw and solve the riddle could enter the Ravenclaw Common Room. Goddess_Clio mentioned McGonagall could enter the Common Room, and I responded that she was a hatsall and was able to reason things in that way. But she herself was not a Ravenclaw, and if only Ravenclaws could really enter, she would not have been able to do so.

- source unknown
Old April 17th, 2012, 12:47 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
I'm sorry - I thought that's why you quoted me.

I think anyone who could think like a Ravenclaw and solve the riddle could enter the Ravenclaw Common Room. Goddess_Clio mentioned McGonagall could enter the Common Room, and I responded that she was a hatsall and was able to reason things in that way. But she herself was not a Ravenclaw, and if only Ravenclaws could really enter, she would not have been able to do so.
Exactly, which seems to reinforce the notion that every house seemed somewhat arrogant about their methods of concealing their common room entrances or in keeping people out of them. We are shown in canon two instances of "foreigners" gaining access to common rooms of houses they were not sorted into: McGonagall in DH and Harry and Ron in COS so it seems to be an instance of people believing what they want to believe simply because they want to believe it. (In Slytherin's case they really have no other reason to not believe their assertions because Ron and Harry were under the polyjuice potion imitating two people known to be slytherins but I digress...)

Old June 19th, 2012, 7:56 am
Seventh Year

Quote:

I got the impression that the prefect letters were written in PS/SS, hence why Percy is prefect of Gryffindor. McGonagall hadn't gained access to Ravenclaw Common Room at the time this letter was written, so it may have been correct.

Can you find the frog? Click here for an enlarged image.

“Whether you come back by page or by the big screen, Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home.”
― J.K. Rowling

"She boiled her brain."- Karl Pilkington
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies