Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Hufflepuff House: Character Analysis

Old March 31st, 2012, 1:26 pm
Embroidered by imaginatio

Hufflepuff House: Character Analysis

Pottermore has given us new information about Hufflepuff House, what being a Hufflepuff means, famous wizards it produced and how they view other houses.

Hufflepuff
House History:
Spoiler: show
Congratulations! I’m Prefect Gabriel Truman, and I’m delighted to welcome you to HUFFLEPUFF HOUSE. Our emblem is the badger, an animal that is often underestimated, because it lives quietly until attacked, but which, when provoked, can fight off animals much larger than itself, including wolves. Our house colours are yellow and black, and our common room lies one floor below the ground, on the same corridor as the kitchens.

Now, there are a few things you should know about Hufflepuff house. First of all, let’s deal with a perennial myth about the place, which is that we’re the least clever house. WRONG. Hufflepuff is certainly the least boastful house, but we’ve produced just as many brilliant witches and wizards as any other. Want proof? Look up Grogan Stump, one of the most popular Ministers for Magic of all time. He was a Hufflepuff – as were the successful Ministers Artemesia Lufkin and Dugald McPhail. Then there’s the world authority on magical creatures, Newt Scamander; Bridget Wenlock, the famous thirteenth-century Arithmancer who first discovered the magical properties of the number seven, and Hengist of Woodcroft, who founded the all-wizarding village of Hogsmeade, which lies very near Hogwarts School. Hufflepuffs all.

So, as you can see, we’ve produced more than our fair share of powerful, brilliant and daring witches and wizards, but, just because we don’t shout about it, we don’t get the credit we deserve. Ravenclaws, in particular, assume that any outstanding achiever must have come from their house. I got into big trouble during my third year for duelling a Ravenclaw prefect who insisted that Bridget Wenlock had come from his house, not mine. I should have got a week of detentions, but Professor Sprout let me off with a warning and a box of coconut ice.

Hufflepuffs are trustworthy and loyal. We don’t shoot our mouths off, but cross us at your peril; like our emblem, the badger, we will protect ourselves, our friends and our families against all-comers. Nobody intimidates us.

However, it’s true that Hufflepuff is a bit lacking in one area. We’ve produced the fewest Dark wizards of any house in this school. Of course, you’d expect Slytherin to churn out evil-doers, seeing as they’ve never heard of fair play and prefer cheating over hard work any day, but even Gryffindor (the house we get on best with) has produced a few dodgy characters.

What else do you need to know? Oh yes, the entrance to the common room is concealed in a stack of large barrels in a nook on the right hand side of the kitchen corridor. Tap the barrel two from the bottom, middle of the second row, in the rhythm of ‘Helga Hufflepuff’, and the lid will swing open. We are the only house at Hogwarts that also has a repelling device for would-be intruders. If the wrong lid is tapped, or if the rhythm of the tapping is wrong, the illegal entrant is doused in vinegar.

You will hear other houses boast of their security arrangements, but it so happens that in more than a thousand years, the Hufflepuff common room and dormitories have never been seen by outsiders. Like badgers, we know exactly how to lie low – and how to defend ourselves.

Once you’ve opened the barrel, crawl inside and along the passageway behind it, and you will emerge into the cosiest common room of them all. It is round and earthy and low-ceilinged; it always feels sunny, and its circular windows have a view of rippling grass and dandelions.

There is a lot of burnished copper about the place, and many plants, which either hang from the ceiling or sit on the windowsills. Our Head of house, Professor Pomona Sprout, is Head of Herbology, and she brings the most interesting specimens (some of which dance and talk) to decorate our room – one reason why Hufflepuffs are often very good at Herbology. Our overstuffed sofas and chairs are upholstered in yellow and black, and our dormitories are reached through round doors in the walls of the common room. Copper lamps cast a warm light over our four-posters, all of which are covered in patchwork quilts, and copper bed warmers hang on the walls, should you have cold feet.

Our house ghost is the friendliest of them all: the Fat Friar. You’ll recognise him easily enough; he’s plump and wears monk’s robes, and he’s very helpful if you get lost or are in any kind of trouble.

I think that’s nearly everything. I must say, I hope some of you are good Quidditch players. Hufflepuff hasn’t done as well as I’d like in the Quidditch tournament lately.

You should sleep comfortably. We’re protected from storms and wind down in our dormitories; we never have the disturbed nights those in the towers sometimes experience.

And once again: congratulations on becoming a member of the friendliest, most decent and most tenacious house of them all.

House Common Room Description: (Posted by RIP_FredWeasley)
The Hufflepuff common room is entered from the same corridor as the Hogwarts kitchens. Proceeding past the large still life that forms the entrance to the latter, a pile of large barrels is to be found stacked in a shadowy stone recess on the right-hand side of the corridor. The barrel two from the bottom, middle of the second row, will open if tapped in the rhythm of 'Helga Hufflepuff'.* As a security device to repel non-Hufflepuffs, tapping on the wrong barrel, or tapping the incorrect number of times, results in one of the other lids bursting off and drenching the interloper in vinegar.

A sloping, earthy passage inside the barrel travels upwards a little way until a cosy, round, low-ceilinged room is revealed, reminiscent of a badger's set. The room is decorated in the cheerful, bee-like colours of yellow and black, emphasised by the use of highly polished, honey-coloured wood for the tables and the round doors which lead to the boys' and girls' dormitories (furnished with comfortable wooden bedsteads, all covered in patchwork quilts).

A colourful profusion of plants and flowers seem to relish the atmosphere of the Hufflepuff common room: various cactii stand on wooden circular shelves (curved to fit the walls), many of them waving and dancing at passers-by, while copper-bottomed plant holders dangling amid the ceiling cause tendrils of ferns and ivies to brush your hair as you pass under them.

A portrait over the wooden mantelpiece (carved all over with decorative dancing badgers) shows Helga Hufflepuff, one of the four founders of Hogwarts School, toasting her students with a tiny, two-handled golden cup. Small, round windows just level with the ground at the foot of the castle show a pleasant view of rippling grass and dandelions, and, occasionally, passing feet. These low windows notwithstanding, the room feels perennially sunny.

* The complexity or otherwise of the entrance to the common rooms might be said to give a very rough idea of the intellectual reputation of each house: Hufflepuff has an unchanging portal and requires rhythmic tapping; Slytherin and Gryffindor have doorways that challenge the would-be entrant about equally, the former having an almost imperceptible hidden entrance and a varying password, the latter having a capricious guardian and frequently changing passwords. In keeping with its reputation as the house of the most agile minds at Hogwarts, the door to the Ravenclaw common room presents a fresh intellectual or philosophical challenge every time a person knocks on it.

Nevertheless, it ought not to be concluded from the above that Hufflepuffs are dimwits or duffers, though they have been cruelly caricatured that way on occasion. Several outstanding brains have emerged from Hufflepuff house over the centuries; these fine minds simply happened to be allied to outstanding qualities of patience, a strong work ethic and constancy, all traditional hallmarks of Hufflepuff House.

Previous threads: Post-DH and Pre-DH

1. JKR describes the character of the house emblem, the Badger, as an animal that is often underestimated, because it lives quietly until attacked, but which, when provoked, can fight off animals much larger than itself, including wolves.. What, if anything, does this tell you about those members of Hufflepuff house that we know. Does it fit them?

2. According to the welcoming letter, Hufflepuff house has produced the lowest number of Dark Wizards, why do you think this is?

3. Until now, we received little info on how Hufflepuffs view other houses. Puffs and Ravenclaws seem to have had some conflicts. Which house is in your view the most compatible with Hufflepuff characterwise?

4. The prefects of other houses also share their view on Hufflepuff. Do you think that they give a fair account of Hufflepuff House?

5. How important do you think Pomona Sprout has been for her students as Head of Hufflepuff?

6. Hufflepuff has always been described as being the house that takes the lef-overs. But now we know Hufflepuff has been home to several important wizards. Has the new information changed your view of Hufflepuff House?

Last edited by SusanBones; April 15th, 2012 at 5:15 pm. Reason: added welcome letter
Sponsored Links
Old April 16th, 2012, 9:04 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

Re: Hufflepuff House: Character Analysis

2. According to the welcoming letter, Hufflepuff house has produced the lowest number of Dark Wizards, why do you think this is?

I am not sure this is true (or, if it is true, that it is a fact that has been determined through some measurement with which the Prefect is familiar).

I could see if Dark Magic was something for individual practitioners, where Hufflepuffs would be less drawn to it, but this seems not the case, as Death Eaters were a group of Dark Wizards (I guess?).

3. Until now, we received little info on how Hufflepuffs view other houses. Puffs and Ravenclaws seem to have had some conflicts. Which house is in your view the most compatible with Hufflepuff characterwise?

Gryffindor. Because they can enjoy the illusion of leading while the 'Puffs follow.

4. The prefects of other houses also share their view on Hufflepuff. Do you think that they give a fair account of Hufflepuff House?

No, I do not. I think the other Houses, for various reasons, not only consider themselves the best, but find it necessary to broadcast this opinion to others. And, projecting their own tendencies, people tend to assume that if Hufflepuffs had any grounds to consider themselves superior, they would also. So Hufflepuffs' lack of self-aggrandizement leads the others to the false conclusion that they are indeed inferior.

5. How important do you think Pomona Sprout has been for her students as Head of Hufflepuff?

I think she helps them keep their perspective about the occasional obnoxiousness of the other Houses.

6. Hufflepuff has always been described as being the house that takes the lef-overs. But now we know Hufflepuff has been home to several important wizards. Has the new information changed your view of Hufflepuff House?

Helga took anyone; that represented her views, but not necessarily who her students were. They included the ones no one else could take, but might also have included students who liked that approach (rather than learning from the more selective Fiunders).

I don't think that represents what Hufflepuff became after the Fouders' period. Each Founder's values were put into the Hat. I therefore think someone who is the classic Hufflepuff who is just, loyal, and hardworking, could wind up there even if they were brave, or cunning, or just plain smart.

“Death is the only pure, beautiful conclusion of a great passion.”-D. H. Lawrence

All was well.

Avatar by nerwende, signature art by sigune, used with permission.
Old April 20th, 2012, 7:57 pm
First Year

I love Hufflepuff. It's a quirky name and has the nicest animal; plus it's never good to underestimate anybody. :-)

Old April 20th, 2012, 8:45 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by arithmancer View Post

Gryffindor. Because they can enjoy the illusion of leading while the 'Puffs follow.
^ The same line could be said about Slytherin though, who also like to lead. XD

What's strange is that I'm a Hufflepuff on Pottermore and not a single one of 15+ people I know who were sorted on the site are Gryffindors. I have Gryffindors in my friends list there but those are all random people I don't know who sent me friend requests on the site. So far I don't know if I even know a single Gryffindor in reality.....it does seem a bit strange. XD

I think in general Gryffindors and Hufflepuffs get along best perhaps(and I think there were at least 2 canon Gryffindor x Hufflepuff relationships in the series). I guess maybe for me it's just not the case personally since I seem to hardly know any Gryffindors compared to the other houses?

I dunno, I think I get along best with Slytherins for some reason. I think someone who's ambitious does go well with someone who is patient and loyal. I think the only reason why Slytherins and Hufflepuffs would potentially not get along is the fact that some Slytherins(some not all) have a tendency to see themselves as too good for Hufflepuffs. I think they can get along well if Slytherins don't see themselves as too good for a Hufflepuff.

As for the whole thing about Hufflepuffs producing the least number of dark wizards....

To be honest, I do honestly think it's probably true. I'm sure dark wizards have come out of Hufflepuff, there must at least be some, but overall they do seem like they would have a higher percentage of more laid back and nicer people. I know there are nice people in all of the houses, just like I'm sure Hufflepuff has a few bad people....but overall I think Hufflepuff probably has a somewhat higher percentage of nice people. Part of this is the fact that they are a bit more mellow it would seem and therefore less likely to feel pressure to do something bad to get what they want. They just won't be as tempted by stuff like that. I also think that although they do have some prejudice like all the houses, I think it's pretty proven that they have less of that because they don't have a tendency to brag about their achievements. I think this also makes it likely that they are less likely to judge others and make assumptions about people before knowing them.

Old April 20th, 2012, 10:21 pm
Embroidered by imaginatio

Please be reminded that this thread is about the book and the characters in Hufflepuff House. Not about your own experiences as Hufflepuff which can be discussed at Your Pottermore House.

"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."

Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer
Old April 20th, 2012, 11:54 pm
Ordo Lebes

Quote:
1. JKR describes the character of the house emblem, the Badger, as an animal that is often underestimated, because it lives quietly until attacked, but which, when provoked, can fight off animals much larger than itself, including wolves.. What, if anything, does this tell you about those members of Hufflepuff house that we know. Does it fit them?
I think it does. In the Battle of Hogwarts, Hufflepuffs were the second largest group to stay behind and fight. I think Hufflepuffs are strongest in numbers: they stick together, and they're very concerned about their peers; the fact that one of their traits is loyalty, and that Helga Hufflepuff wanted to teach everyone just the same, shows that there's a strong sense of community, and so they can defeat more powerful enemies by rallying together.

Quote:
Doesn't surprise me. Dark Wizards are almost always seeking power; Hufflepuff traits are fair play, loyalty, hard work, and tolerance, which aren't things I'd associate with power-seeking. It's not that you can't have "bad" Hufflepuffs, it's that the personality types in Hufflepuff just wouldn't really tend to seek out dark magic, even if they were bad people, IMO.

Quote:
Pottermore confirmed what I'd imagined in that Hufflepuffs and Gryffindors got on the best. They have their differences but their outlooks are similar. In contrast, Gryffindors and Slytherins are alike in many ways, but their outlooks are opposite, which I think is why they constantly fight. In any case, I'm glad Pottermore said as much, because I'm a Gryffindor and my other favourite house is Hufflepuff.

Quote:
6. Hufflepuff has always been described as being the house that takes the left-overs. But now we know Hufflepuff has been home to several important wizards. Has the new information changed your view of Hufflepuff House?
It hasn't changed my view. I never thought the Sorting Hat meant Hufflepuff took the left-overs, but that they didn't discriminate. That's actually not a very common trait. I think to earn a place as a real Hufflepuff you would have to be the sort of person who didn't even care about selectiveness. The fact that so many people do care shows how rare Hufflepuffs really are. :P

Believe me. I never betrayed James and Lily. I would have died before I betrayed them.
Old May 7th, 2012, 3:32 am
First Year

Oh, definitely. Hufflepuffs are fiercely loyal, and we won't attack unless you anger us.

Hufflepuffs aren't as drawn to that stuff as other houses. Think about it-Slyths are ambitious and have a Dark reputation, Claws seek knowledge, ergo they might want a theoretical knowledge of the Dark Side and then get sucked into it, and Gryffs-well, bravery can lead to stupidity. None of Hufflepuff's traits really seem to draw them to stuff like that. I should know.

Gryffindor, definitely. Bravery takes loyalty, and vice versa. Look at Tonks in the Battle of Hogwarts.

No. Because we don't brag, they think we don't do anything. Lies! Although, it's better to be known as not doing anything than being known as mean or something else.

Very. That's why we are so good at Herbology, after all.

6. Hufflepuff has always been described as being the house that takes the left-overs. But now we know Hufflepuff has been home to several important wizards. Has the new information changed your view of Hufflepuff House?

Definitely. I'm proud to be a Hufflepuff.

Like canon pairings, especially Harry and Ginny? This is the website for you!

Hufflepuff and Proud Pottermore Sorted!
Old September 10th, 2012, 8:24 am
Banned

I just have to post this in response to something about the Houses in another thread (Brian Tung's Sorting Quiz):

Quote:
The questions in this Quiz are designed specifically to avoid the stereotypical qualities of the houses (for instance, that Slytherins are sneaky, Gryffindors are brave, Ravenclaws are smart, and Hufflepuffs are...well, they're none of the above, I suppose is the idea).
I strongly protest that Hufflepuffs are "None of the above". IMO, Puffs are ALL of the above. They're certainly smart and brave (look at Cedric Diggory, after all the Goblet chose him for Hogwarts champion) and they can be sneaky when they need to be. They're just not pushy like Gryffs and Slyths are. That's my opinion and I'll defend it to the death.

ETA: And, to quote an essay I read on-line some time ago, in a battle, Ravenclaw will map out the strategy, Gryffindor will lead the charge, Slytherin will find ways to trick the enemy, but Hufflepuff is the backbone of the army. They will fight like badgers, they will not give up, they will not let go. The last standing witch or wizard will be a Hufflepuff. So there.

Last edited by StarsAndShadows; September 10th, 2012 at 8:26 am. Reason: ETA
Old March 4th, 2013, 12:26 am
First Year

Cedric is the one on my mind, and he was talented, as he was tied with Harry for first in the Hufflepuff house. Also, a lot of the Hufflepuffs were there to fight at the battle of Hogwarts.

I believe that it is because Hufflepff has been catergorized as the house of low power (also making the people of the house fell like they don't have the power to do something awful) .Also, in order to be in Hufflepuff, you are nice and loyal, which is the exact opposite of what a dark wizard would be.

It could be either Gryffindor or Ravenclaw to me.

No, but I do think that it is pretty much inferred that they all think the same. I feel that Hufflepuff shouldn't be seen as a bad house to get into, but I guess a lot of people's goals are higher than just being a good and nice person, and doing the right thing. It is quite unfortunate really, as Hufflepuff is a great house.

I think she served as a strong and powerful role model. i am glad that they think of her as a nice figure of authority.

Not quite, becuase I never thought of them as left overs.

Let's be friends on Pottermore:
DragonMoonstone16649

Last edited by BrightestWitch; March 4th, 2013 at 12:32 am.
Old March 4th, 2013, 2:31 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen Malfoy View Post
^ The same line could be said about Slytherin though, who also like to lead. XD
I did not add, but could have, why Slytherin would not work. Consaider this quote from Pottermore (Hufflepuff prefect's view of Slytherin):

PottermoreWe’ve produced the fewest Dark wizards of any house in this school. Of course, you’d expect Slytherin to churn out evil-doers, seeing as they’ve never heard of fair play and prefer cheating over hard work any day, . . .

The Hufflepuffs would not want to follow dodgy, potential Dark Wizards, since they are about fairness (among other things). Not that Slytherins actually are, mind you, but based on the Hufflepuff prefect's comment, that seems to be the perception of Slytherin among 'Puffs. It seemed based on those comments that from the Hufflepuff perspective, Slytherin is their least-liked House.

Quote:
I think in general Gryffindors and Hufflepuffs get along best perhaps(and I think there were at least 2 canon Gryffindor x Hufflepuff relationships in the series).
Yes, that was also my perception. And it is not just about relationships, I was not thinking in terms of pairings particularly in answering the question. The Hufflepuffs seemed well-represented in the DA (a Gryffindor founded and run enterprise) and were the House that stayed behind in DH in the greatest numbers after Gryffindor (who all stayed). It just seems there are commonalities there.

Quote:
I dunno, I think I get along best with Slytherins for some reason. I think someone who's ambitious does go well with someone who is patient and loyal. I think the only reason why Slytherins and Hufflepuffs would potentially not get along is the fact that some Slytherins(some not all) have a tendency to see themselves as too good for Hufflepuffs. I think they can get along well if Slytherins don't see themselves as too good for a Hufflepuff.
I think there is an equal danger of the Hufflepuff thinking him/herself too good for the Slytherin, as suggested by the Hufflepuff Prefect's comments about Slytherin. (This would be for different values of "good". ) However it seems likely to me that Ted Tonks was a Hufflepuff (as his daughter was), in which case Tonks' parents are an example of a happy Slytherin/Hufflepuff marriage. It seems to me that you are right when it comes down to individuals who get to know one another, that they could get on very well.

Quote:
I think this also makes it likely that they are less likely to judge others and make assumptions about people before knowing them.
I would disagree a lack of prejudice/open mindedness, is a characteristic of Hufflepuffs in canon. Aside from the Pottermore comments about SLytherin - I felt the Hufflepuff characters were shown in CoS to be particularly prone to fearing Harry when he was believed, for a time, to be the Heir of Slytherin, for example.

“Death is the only pure, beautiful conclusion of a great passion.”-D. H. Lawrence

All was well.

Avatar by nerwende, signature art by sigune, used with permission.

Last edited by arithmancer; March 4th, 2013 at 2:55 pm.
Old October 1st, 2013, 10:22 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post
Nevertheless, it ought not to be concluded from the above that Hufflepuffs are dimwits or duffers, though they have been cruelly caricatured that way on occasion. Several outstanding brains have emerged from Hufflepuff house over the centuries; these fine minds simply happened to be allied to outstanding qualities of patience, a strong work ethic and constancy, all traditional hallmarks of Hufflepuff House.
Patience, work ethic and constancy - traits necessary for success, IMO.

Quote:
I think this is very fitting. I think it shows Hufflepuff not as a house of "pushovers", but as people who don't brag, but who come out fighting when threatened.

I think it is also fitting that Hufflepuff is the only house with an intruder-repelling mechanism. They're not going to start the fight, but by golly, will they finish it.

Quote:
I think this may be because the Hufflepuff values of fairness generally incline against torture and murder, against destroying other people's lives for personal gain. Valuing hard work inclines against taking the easy way of crime.

However, when Hufflepuffs do turn to dark magic, I think that the trait of loyalty may go unchecked and become a fanatic, unthinking loyalty to an evil cause. (I think that all the House traits need to be balanced by an opposing trait to prevent them being used for ill - loyalty with critical thinking, courage with forethought, ambition with respect for the rights of others, seeking wisdom with emotional intelligence.)

I think that when a Hufflepuff does go bad, they are convinced that they are doing the right thing. They are convinced or convince themselves that their actions will make things better. Or, they are buying into something because it gives them something to believe in, someone to be loyal to. (Kind of why I believe that Barty Jr. was a Hufflepuff who went bad.)

Quote:
I think that they are perhaps most compatible with Gryffindor, in terms of values. They were the House who stayed in greatest numbers, after Gryffindor, to fight, and they were also well-represented in the DA.

Quote:
I'll have to re-read those and come back to this question.

Quote:
I think she has been a positive influence and a good person to have in loco parentis. I think she provides a supportive atmosphere for her students to grow.

Quote:
No, because I never bought into the idea that Hufflepuff were weak or stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightestWitch View Post
I believe that it is because Hufflepff has been catergorized as the house of low power (also making the people of the house fell like they don't have the power to do something awful) .
I don't think that the Hufflepuffs, as a group, have inferiority complexes. I think that Hufflepuffs are aware that they are strong, they are intelligent - they just don't need to shout about it from the rooftops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arithmancer View Post
I think there is an equal danger of the Hufflepuff thinking him/herself too good for the Slytherin, as suggested by the Hufflepuff Prefect's comments about Slytherin. (This would be for different values of "good". )
Very much so, I think the different definitions of "good" might be an issue there.

Quote:
I would disagree a lack of prejudice/open mindedness, is a characteristic of Hufflepuffs in canon. Aside from the Pottermore comments about SLytherin - I felt the Hufflepuff characters were shown in CoS to be particularly prone to fearing Harry when he was believed, for a time, to be the Heir of Slytherin, for example.
I think a lack of prejudice is a Hufflepuff trait - I think it relates to fairness. IMO, Hufflepuffs show less prejudice than people of the other Houses.
I don't consider it prejudice when a person dislikes others because of their behaviour. IMO, perhaps the Hufflepuffs perhaps tend to worry -as with Harry and the Heir of Slytherin mystery. The Hufflepuffs were not the only ones who thought it possible that Harry was the Heir, as I recall. They were the only ones Harry heard talking about it, because he was looking for them.

Pic by julvett at deviantart http://julvett.deviantart.com/gallery/2984632
"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and she’s trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies