Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion

Snow White and the Huntsmen

Old May 29th, 2012, 2:36 am
First Year

Re: Snow White and the Huntsmen (June 1st)

I really want to see this. I just don't know if I should go right away or wait until it's in the cheap seats. I think it looks really good, and I like the way it has a little twist on the fairy tale.

Old May 29th, 2012, 5:47 am
Seventh Year

Really excited to see this despite major trepidation about sitting through yet another 2+ hour movie starring Kristen Stewart but I feel like the visual effects and Charlize Theron's costumes would be sufficient for me to overlook Kristen Stewart's angsty, one-note acting. Not to mention Charlize Theron herself being in the movie, I've always liked her for some reason.

I'm going for the costumes and VFX though for sure.

Old May 30th, 2012, 3:17 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl_Took View Post
The only reason I would want to see this is Charlize Theron as the wicked Queen. She looks splendid.

You're all a bit hard on Kristen though.

And anyone playing Snow White must have raven-black locks. No blonde Snow Whites! It doesn't matter what colour hair the Queen has, IIRC.
Charlize Theron always does a great job with her film roles.

Maybe Kristen will give a better performance here with a better script and working with Ms. Theron.

....I miss David Tennant....
Old May 30th, 2012, 3:37 am
Member of the Order

Kristen Stewart has had to deal with some pretty craptastic scripts...

I hope this isn't another one.

All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

---Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Million Dollar Baby)
Old May 30th, 2012, 5:27 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightsfire View Post

I hope this isn't another one.
Somehow I don't think Charlize Theron would sign on to that type of script.

....I miss David Tennant....
Old May 30th, 2012, 5:15 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedwigOwl View Post
Maybe Kristen will give a better performance here with a better script and working with Ms. Theron.
If Kristen couldn't get it together working with Jody Foster (an oscar winner), Sharon Stone (an oscar nominee), Juliette Lewis (an oscar nomiee), Christopher Plummer (a (recent) oscar winner but both a nominee and winner of many Emmy awards) and many others I don't think Charlize Theron's influence would have much effect on her. Kristen's acting chops (including her emotional range and facial expressions) haven't changed much in the 10 years since she did Panic Room with Jody, why should they change over a two month shoot with Charlize when she's in her twenties?

Quote:
To me that says more about her less-than-discerning nature when it comes to picking which projects to work on. She isn't just contracted to a studio and given crappy scripts to work with, she chooses to work on those movies. If she repeatedly pickes projects that have bad scripts but will boost her exposure and bring in the big bucks then, to me, she's turning into the very worst kind of hollywood actor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedwigOwl View Post
Somehow I don't think Charlize Theron would sign on to that type of script.
(Have you seen Hancock? )

Old May 30th, 2012, 6:08 pm
Member of the Order

I guess some still can't be picky about the job they're given.

All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

Old May 31st, 2012, 9:34 am
Fourth Year

I heard Eddie Marsan interviewed on Radio 5 - he plays one of the dwarves and he said they had a great time filming - other people he was working with include Bob Hoskins, Nick Frost, Ray Winstone, Toby Jones and Ian McShane. Also in the film is Brian gleeson, son of Brendan.

i am looking forward to it!

Old May 31st, 2012, 11:07 am
MODLY CREW

Please don't turn this into a Kristen Stewart thread. Her performance in this film is fair game, her individual life choices and what you think of them are not.

Old June 2nd, 2012, 7:13 pm
Seventh Year

Saw SW&tH last night:

Everything cool in that movie was directly related to Charlize. The effects were directly tied to her, the best costumes were hers, the best performance was hers, the best part of the story was hers...

Snow White was... really boring as a character. She was supposed to be perfection personified but Kristen wasn't the right actress for that role IMO. I felt like she was angry all the time and I didn't give a lick about her problems or her goals in the story. The entire premise of the story of Snow White failed for me because Kristen Stewart was cast in this role: in what world is she "fairer" than Charlize Theron?

The Huntsman was about as cliched as they come. The moment he's introduced you're supposed to be on his side but by this time you've spent so much time with the Queen that you like her character the best and want her prevail in the story, not because she's the good one but because she's the most interesting one. The Huntsman was extremely undeveloped as a character and I didn't believe his reasons for not killing Snow White or his reasons for helping her.

The Dwarves... ug, the dwarves... They actually served very little purpose to the plot for me and could have been axed all together. That would have given more time in the movie to developing the Snow White/Huntsman relationship but that wouldn't have helped because the actors had no chemistry for me. The FXs done on the dwarves was kind of cool, though.

The story in general sucked pretty bad for me. I felt like it was being advertised as a reimagined Snow White story but the only thing that was reimagined was the Queen, the rest was standard Snow White stuff but with an unlikable set of protagonists for me.

Now the good parts of the movie:

I repeatedly found myself wondering when we would go back to the Queen's story because Snow White's was soooooooo booooooring.... The Queen was re-envisioned well, she was totally crazy, ruthless in her ambitions, with the best character motivations and an interesting back story. If this was supposed to be re-envisioned, I would have like the entire story to be centralized around the Queen and not Snow White. We all know the story of Snow White, there's nothing interesting left there, but they missed the boat, IMO, by not giving more of the story to the queen.

Spoiler: show
Her brother was kind of a cool villainous guy and an original character as far as I know. He sort of played her henchman who went out and did her bidding which I thought was kind of an interesting idea. Plus, did he not look like Lucius Malfoy's older brother with the bowl cut and bad teeth? And what was up with those microbangs? He wasn't as cool as the Queen but he was still kind of cool.

The costuming was incredible! Colleen Atwood will get an Oscar nod for this, I'd bet $50. It awoke my dormant costume designer; it's a real shame I don't do Renaissance Fairs or go to conventions where people dress up or I would SO recreate all of the Queens' costumes. They were stunning. The Queen's crown was amazing, too, beautiful but dark and threatening...

Can I hire Charlize's hair stylist in this movie to do my hair every morning??

The Visual Effects were amazing, too. There was some really cool stuff with the queen (the black crows part was gross but so cool!) and the dark army was visually beautiful on top of being well animated.

The locations were breathtaking. The cliffs, the mountains, the beach where the Queen's castle is... wow!

The Queen's castle was also pretty awesome from the exterior, much cooler than Movie-Hogwarts ever was for me. It was massive, it was imposing, it looked dangerous and mysterious, I wanted to explore every inch of it.

Overall, I'd give this movie 2.5 of 5 stars - one star for Charlize, one star for the FX and costuming, and a half a star for all the other stuff I liked.

Last edited by Goddess_Clio; June 3rd, 2012 at 6:47 am.
Old June 2nd, 2012, 10:41 pm
Second Year

I'm going to see this with a friend tomorrow. It looked visually interesting from the clip I saw. My only other observation is that the girl who is playing Snow White doesn't have a ghost of a chance of ever looking as good as Charlize. They should have cast a much prettier girl in that role to make it believable.

Old June 3rd, 2012, 11:35 am
MODLY CREW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddess_Clio View Post
Saw SW&tH last night:

Everything cool in that movie was directly related to Charlize. The effects were directly tied to her, the best costumes were hers, the best performance was hers, the best part of the story was hers...

Snow White was... really boring as a character. She was supposed to be perfection personified but Kristen wasn't the right actress for that role IMO. I felt like she was angry all the time and I didn't give a lick about her problems or her goals in the story. The entire premise of the story of Snow White failed for me because Kristen Stewart was cast in this role: in what world is she "fairer" than Charlize Theron?

The Huntsman was about as cliched as they come. The moment he's introduced you're supposed to be on his side but by this time you've spent so much time with the Queen that you like her character the best and want her prevail in the story, not because she's the good one but because she's the most interesting one. The Huntsman was extremely undeveloped as a character and I didn't believe his reasons for not killing Snow White or his reasons for helping her.

The Dwarves... ug, the dwarves... They actually served very little purpose to the plot for me and could have been axed all together. That would have given more time in the movie to developing the Snow White/Huntsman relationship but that wouldn't have helped because the actors had no chemistry for me. The FXs done on the dwarves was kind of cool, though.

The story in general sucked pretty bad for me. I felt like it was being advertised as a reimagined Snow White story but the only thing that was reimagined was the Queen, the rest was standard Snow White stuff but with an unlikable set of protagonists for me.

I repeatedly found myself wondering when we would go back to the Queen's story because Snow White's was soooooooo booooooring.... The Queen was re-envisioned well, she was totally crazy, ruthless in her ambitions, with the best character motivations and an interesting back story. If this was supposed to be re-envisioned, I would have like the entire story to be centralized around the Queen and not Snow White. We all know the story of Snow White, there's nothing interesting left there, but they missed the boat, IMO, by not giving more of the story to the queen.

Her brother was kind of a cool villainous guy and an original character as far as I know. He sort of played her henchman who went out and did her bidding which I thought was kind of an interesting idea. Plus, did he not look like Lucius Malfoy's older brother with the bowl cut and bad teeth? And what was up with those microbangs? He wasn't as cool as the Queen but he was still kind of cool.

The costuming was incredible! Colleen Atwood will get an Oscar nod for this, I'd bet $50. It awoke my dormant costume designer; it's a real shame I don't do Renaissance Fairs or go to conventions where people dress up or I would SO recreate all of the Queens' costumes. They were stunning. The Queen's crown was amazing, too, beautiful but dark and threatening...

The Visual Effects were amazing, too. There was some really cool stuff with the queen (the black crows part was gross but so cool!) and the dark army was visually beautiful on top of being well animated.

The locations were breathtaking. The cliffs, the mountains, the beach where the Queen's castle is... wow!

The Queen's castle was also pretty awesome from the exterior, much cooler than Movie-Hogwarts ever was for me. It was massive, it was imposing, it looked dangerous and mysterious, I wanted to explore every inch of it.

Overall, I'd give this movie 2.5 of 5 stars - one star for Charlize, one star for the FX and costuming, and a half a star for all the other stuff I liked.
Thanks for the review! That is pretty much what I expected.

Old June 3rd, 2012, 3:32 pm
Member of the Order

Yeah, Goddess_Clio hit most of the negatives for me.

This was a pretty big disappointment. The only one that had any presence in the film was the queen. There were all these big name actors and nothing was done with them. I can't even fault the actors (to be fair) for the poor script and lack of direction. Just in case;
I would think it difficult to write a script where one that has "purity and innocence" would actually be likeable. To have any empathy toward such a character would have been a challenge. So what to do? Develop that empathy for the queen instead. and they came close. But they wanted to eat that cake too by trying for that same note on Snow White. Since us mortals only understand such innocence through the eyes of a child the script doesn't work for such an apparently adult character, but we certainly understand the flaws of the queen. The backstory of Snow White was...what it was. But we get enough glimpses of Ravenna and see why she became evil, and this is what us poor mortals understand.
I think if the script had been written where SW had given up her heart, not as a sacrifice, but as a gift freely given...BAh! Sure the story would have been overall different but I imagine it would have been far more clever. And we'd feel more for the characer of SW than indifference.

Too many characters could have been simply thown out. We had such talents in the dwarves, (Ian Macshane, Bob Hoskins, etc.) and wasted as they had little to do. Snow White's childhood friend...why? Ok, an attempt at filling out SW's character...and provide emotional competition for Thor, I mean the huntsman. And useless, as the script/direction never comes together. (Besides, Sam Claflin versus Chris Hemsworth? Really? Casting...*sigh*)
And the queen's brother...another useless contribution.

so...before I can throw the acting under the bus, I have to blame Evan Daugherty for the script, and Rupert Sanders for directing this lame contribution to the Snow White story.

Old June 4th, 2012, 12:17 am
BANNED... No really they are...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddess_Clio View Post
Saw SW&tH last night:

I have to agree. I wasn't that impressed with her acting, but she was amazing. And gorgeous. No contest.

Quote:
Yeah. Honestly? No contest. Stewart really didn't do much with her character. She was a bit like paper: necessary for certain things, but can be discarded without actually being used. (Awesome similie, I know.)

Quote:
The Huntsman was mostly eye candy for me, but I appreciated Hemsworth's acting. Some effort was put on his part on his performance.

Quote:
NONE! No chemistry AT ALL! Completely agree with you about that and the dwarves' usefulness in this movie. No purpose whatsoever. Except maybe the blind dwarf. (Mopey? Dopey? Wiseman-y?)

Quote:
Yeah, I wasn't too impressed with this movie. I was expecting soooo much more and got very "blah". I also think that if they would have concentrated the movie on the Queen, it might have been a lot more interesting. The Queen's backstory was pretty sad, and much like Elphaba's story in Wicked, the movie could've been better if they would've expounded on the "misunderstood" angle.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Absolutely agree!! Cinematography was absolutely gorgeous in this movie. The Queen's costumes were amazing and intricate ,and the scenery and atmosphere was on point!

ALL HAIL THE PIXIE QUEEN TINKIE!!
Mave, RN.
Winner of Happiest Hoggie Award (2011).

Last edited by MHPFAN; June 4th, 2012 at 12:20 am.
Old June 4th, 2012, 3:54 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Snow White's childhood friend...why? Ok, an attempt at filling out SW's character...and provide emotional competition for Thor, I mean the huntsman.
That's exactly what it was for me: to give the Huntsman "competition" for Snow White's heart.

Except that neither relationship was developed enough that one was a viable threat to the other in terms of winning Snow White's heart. The childhood friend was there for 90 seconds before he abandons her in the castle as a child so there was really no basis of understanding in that relationship for audiences to root for him to "win her back." The Huntsman, on the other hand, was underdeveloped as a character and not enough time was spent building a contentious but flirtatious relationship that would lead people to believe that they could fall in love if only they would stop going at each others' throats.

A much better example of this exact same situation is in the movie Enchanted with Amy Adams and Patrick Demsey
and it's presented in a somewhat similar situation where she takes a bite of a poison apple and must be brought back to life by true's love's kiss. In that movie the relationships between the princess and her prince and the princess and the Everyman are both developed, you believe she could viably end up with either so there's a lot of tension and suspense but it took time and investment in those characters to get to the pay-off moment at the end where the prince kisses her and she doesn't wake up.

Old June 4th, 2012, 10:28 pm
Third Year

Re: Snow White and the Huntsmen

I'll be truthful. Once I saw that Chris Hemsworth was starring in it, I didn't care who was playing opposite him. I could easily spend a couple of hours watching him.

I'm probably a minority here, but I actually enjoyed it. I loved the scenery and the Huntsman. Kristin did an ok job as Snow White I think. Since I really hadn't paid attention to her being in the movie before going, I didn't have high expectations one way or the other for her character.

Member of the Insane Becky Posse (IBP) and the Gator Fan Club

Old June 4th, 2012, 11:51 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballblondie View Post
I'll be truthful. Once I saw that Chris Hemsworth was starring in it, I didn't care who was playing opposite him. I could easily spend a couple of hours watching him.

I'm probably a minority here, but I actually enjoyed it. I loved the scenery and the Huntsman. Kristin did an ok job as Snow White I think. Since I really hadn't paid attention to her being in the movie before going, I didn't have high expectations one way or the other for her character.
I'm probably in the minority of women who don't find Chris Hemsworth particularly attractive.

Old June 5th, 2012, 1:02 am
Member of the Order

It takes a lot of..."something" to imagine that a teenage girl is going to lead others to war, fight like a veteran against other soldiers, and still come off as "pure and innocent."
Hmm...I think this reviewer also hits it...Just in case...

Yet Ravenna winds up being a big part of why SNOW WHITE AND THE HUNTSMAN has such major failings, because frankly thereís just NOT ENOUGH CHARLIZE THERON!! After a healthy serving of her to open the film, weíre only treated to her presence sparingly throughout the rest of the film, and, when you have a character as fun to watch as her, the rest of the movie winds up paling in comparison when itís filled with characters lacking her charisma. Theron clearly is on another level with her character work here that when her badness isnít involved directly, the movie becomes plodding and unexciting. If youíre going to cut back on her scenes, then donít give us a lot to whet our appetite in the beginning. It just leaves us wanting more the further the movie progresses, and receiving crumbs along the way isnít going to cut it.

Letís talk Kristen Stewart though, because, with all the rest of the filmís weakness, she could be the redeeming quality that winds up saving SNOW WHITE AND THE HUNTSMAN. But itís not to be as Stewart is ridiculously overmatched and is like trying to find a round peg in a square hole. Maybe in some other universe, Kristen Stewart would have made the perfect Snow White, but, after an opening that had me believing she could pull this off, she was required to do a lot more in the role that she just wasnít capable of. I will give her thisÖ there is none of the lip-biting and very little of the deep-breathing that sheís been criticized for in the past, namely in THE TWILIGHT SAGA, but her expressions are mostly limited to this open-mouthed look of constant concern that Snow White at times feels like Kristen Stewartís parody of herself. She must go from this beautiful yet vulnerable prisoner to someone capable of leading an overthrow of the Evil Queen in the course of two hours, and the story doesnít do her any favors in getting anyone to buy into that transformation. Sheís never given any training to fight or lead an army, outside of one awkward lesson on defending herself from an attacker, a far cry from entering into a massive battle. And when it is her turn to take command, something she hasnít shown even an inkling of being prepared for during the film, as sheís always following or being taken care of, she gives the most uninspiring inspiration speech to get her troops fired up for combat. Iíve gotten more chills from the pep talk in LITTLE GIANTS than from this truly flat portrayal of Snow White.

Old June 5th, 2012, 1:34 am
Seventh Year

Quote:

she gives the most uninspiring inspiration speech to get her troops fired up for combat. Iíve gotten more chills from the pep talk in LITTLE GIANTS than from this truly flat portrayal of Snow White.[/i]
AAAAAHHHHAHAHAHA!! :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khauvdb_f8A
"One time I went fishing with my entire family and I was the only one that didn't throw up."
I LOVE this movie!!

Great review! Thanks for sharing!

Old June 7th, 2012, 3:37 am
Second Year

Okay. Post viewing impressions:

(1) What happened? It looked so promising in the previews.

(2) How do you manage to make fight scenes boring?

(3) Walt Disney is going to rise from his grave and haunt whoever is responsible.

(4) But not you, Charlize. You go, girl!

(5) I kind of liked the creepy relationship the Queen had with her brother.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion