Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion

The Avengers

Old March 13th, 2012, 4:57 am
First Year

The Avengers

I could not find a thread for this one yet, but it's hard to believe there isn't one. Am I the only one who loves the Marvel movies? The Avengers is throwing The Hulk, Ironman, Captain America, Thor, and others into a team. I have seen different trailers and previews, and really looking forward to it now. They have managed to pull most of the original characters to take part, except they have a different guy for The Hulk. Oh well, it looks like some good action!

Old March 13th, 2012, 5:37 am
Curse Breaker

Re: The Avengers (May 4)

Yes, it does look promising; lets hope so. I'm guessing that Robert Downey Jr. wouldn't have signed on if it was going to be lame.

....I miss David Tennant....
Old March 24th, 2012, 3:49 am
Seventh Year

They don't seem to market this one much, so I tend to forget about it. Wow May 4th?! That's not long off at all.

Old March 29th, 2012, 3:57 am
Second Year

The trailer was short but it got me pumped. I think this will be one of the biggest blockbusters of the year, it has a ton of superheroes. No offense to transformers but the avengers has people not robots, therefore we'll get a better glimpse into their personalities, and in Robert Downey Jr's case, the hilarity.

Old April 21st, 2012, 1:45 am
Member of the Order

Re: The Avengers (April 25-May 4)

Early buzz

"The Avengers" just recently had its premiere and the first reviews are coming in. These are not official reviews, but a few Twitter posts about the film from some of those in attendance.

It seems that everyone loved the film and Hulk was the big attraction. Plus, it has also been confirmed that there's a surprise scene after the credits, so make sure not to leave the theater early when the movie hits theaters on May 4th.

FirstShowing: The Avengers - Epic. EPIC! Everyone fights everyone, but it does deliver. Marvel's movies get better every single one. Hulk! HULK!!
BadassDigest: AVENGERS is good enough to make me forgive IRON MAN 2.
AintItCool: THE AVENGERS. Finally, a Marvel film with a rousing finish. That third act is more than enough to make THE AVENGERS the best Marvel movie yet.

SlashFilm: I'd tweet about The Avengers but my body is still recovering from non-stop geeking out. So, so, so much fun (for the most part).
Variety: It's the bomb. I could not possibly say enough. Not a false note. Innovative. BRUTAL. And goddamn funny. Hype = believe it.

SlashFilm (another critic): The Avengers is pretty epic. There is probably more action in this film's climax than all the other Marvel movie combines!
Entertainment Weekly: Just got out of #Avengers premiere. Liked.
GeekDad: So much awesome.

Collider: Absolutely loved THE AVENGERS. Was smiling from beginning to end. Two things that made #THEAVENGERS amazing: the Hulk and the humor. Joss Whedon gets a 10 out of 10 on both of those.

Seth Green: So that was AMAZING. Like, double plus awesome. Thank you Joss Whedon for giving us all the #Avengers movie we deserve.

XXLMag: Just getting out of "The Avengers" world premiere. Thought the film was major. LOT of action, laughs and surprises. Hulk stole the show.

----------------------

And there's more; Marvel’s The Avengers’ earns glowing reviews

-------------------------

Sounds like everybody loved the Hulk.

All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

---Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Million Dollar Baby)
Old April 25th, 2012, 3:44 pm
The Next Great Adventurer

It opened in Australia today and the review I've read so far was a rave.

SMHBut The Avengers is one of the greatest superhero films ever made. It's smart, fast, unrelenting fun. An instant, nuanced classic.

http://www.thevine.com.au/entertainm...gn=theavengers

As the review points out, the film is a classic Joss Whedon work of creating a band of heroes from a group of misfits.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old April 25th, 2012, 7:30 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXPELIAMUS View Post
The trailer was short but it got me pumped. I think this will be one of the biggest blockbusters of the year, it has a ton of superheroes. No offense to transformers but the avengers has people not robots, therefore we'll get a better glimpse into their personalities, and in Robert Downey Jr's case, the hilarity.
Agreed! I've got the calendar marked. My son & I will be at the midnight showing! Think I'm more excited then he is...can't, can't wait!

Old April 25th, 2012, 11:56 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I never trust great reviews of fanboy films. I personally always end up thinking they seem to find mediocre efforts amazing. That said, I love Tony Stark and I like Thor and the Hulk and SLJackson so I'm going to see it but no amount of gushing fanboy critics will let me think this is the greatest thing until I see for myself. I really do hope it is though and this year has been going really well in terms of people saying movies are good and they actually end up being good. Kind of tired of the gushing reviews only to end up rolling my eyes in the theatre.

Old May 3rd, 2012, 3:46 am
The Next Great Adventurer

Re: The Avengers

A review from critics who are most definitely not fen.

http://www.abc.net.au/atthemovies/txt/s3485705.htm

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old May 4th, 2012, 2:57 pm
Member of the Order

End credits scene is being talked about...

No, you really don't want to know...No really.

Spoiler: show
For those that don't want to wait around, if you catch the "mid-credit scene' where Thanos is talkling to the alien leader, I believe that such was the original end-credit scene that everyone across the pond saw.

This is the new scene;

No talking, no dialogue, just eating.
Apparently Whedon's way of making a joke out of end-credit scenes.
And I think we get the joke.

All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

Old May 4th, 2012, 7:39 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeé & Scrambled Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightsfire View Post
End credits scene is being talked about...

No, you really don't want to know...No really.

For those that don't want to wait around, if you catch the "mid-credit scene' where Thanos is talkling to the alien leader, I believe that such was the original end-credit scene that everyone across the pond saw.

This is the new scene;

No talking, no dialogue, just eating.
Apparently Whedon's way of making a joke out of end-credit scenes.
And I think we get the joke.
That's really random. The movie itself might be ok enough to see or rent on dvd once it comes out.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Old May 4th, 2012, 9:27 pm
Member of the Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkesfan1 View Post
That's really random. The movie itself might be ok enough to see or rent on dvd once it comes out.
"Might be ok???"

It'll will likely be the biggest money maker this year.

'The Avengers' Breaks International Box Office Records And this was last week.

THE AVENGERS Earns $18.7 Million in Midnight Showings; Breaks Superhero Movie Record

The Avengers is benefiting from both wildly enthusiastic interest from the fanboy community, as well as stellar reviews from critics (read Matt’s rave review here).

-----------------------------

Yeah, I guess you can say it might be ok...

Old May 5th, 2012, 11:30 pm
Secret Keeper

Wow, 80 million on Friday and they are saying The Avengers is gonna break Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2's opening weekend record...damn, that was short lived At least it's a quality movie and not like a Transformers sequel or worse yet one of Twilight movies.

I've been wrongly sorted into Gryffindor!
Old May 6th, 2012, 1:47 am
Member of the Order

Avengers did indeed do the job. And yes, the Hulk did steal the movie. It was awesome to see them take the leash off and let him go psycho.

Box office update: 'The Avengers' posts second-best opening day ever with $80.5 mil

Moviegoers assembled! Disney’s The Avengers debuted to a gargantuan $80.5 million on Friday, including $18.7 million from Thursday midnight showings, according to early estimates.

That gives the $220 million Marvel superhero film the second-largest opening day ever, behind only last year’s Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows — Part 2, which earned $91.1 million its first day. It also means that the opening weekend record, also held by Deathly Hallows — Part 2 with $169.2 million, is in jeopardy. Depending on how well The Avengers holds up on Saturday and Sunday, the movie will finish the weekend somewhere between $160 million and $200 million. My guess at this point: a record-breaking $180 million.

What The Avengers really has going for it, though, is that audiences absolutely love it.

The 3-D movie, which was directed by fanboy favorite Joss Whedon, earned a rare “A+” rating from CinemaScore participants. With an “A+” grade, The Avengers joins the company of such crowd-pleasing movies as Die Hard, E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial, A Few Good Men, Forrest Gump, The Help, The Incredibles, The King’s Speech, The Lion King, and Titanic. That’s good company to be in, and it means that even though a huge amount of people rushed out to see The Avengers on opening day, those moviegoers are now in the process of encouraging their more hesitant friends to also check out the film.
-------------------------------------------------

Spoilers just because;
Seeing our heroes fight each other was classic. And the Thor vs. Hulk match even more so. And then later after they tag team against one of the giant alien things, as it died the Hulk suckerpunches Thor. And as laugh-out-loud funny as that was, when Loki squares off against the Hulk and starts ranting at him, the Hulk cuts him off by picking him up and slamming him repeatedly against the concrete ground, leaving him unconscious in a small crater. The action was startingly fast and brutal. And up to that point, almost everyone Loki had talked to had been either manipulated, dominated, deceived, or killed. The Hulk's contemptuous utterance "Puny god," was perfect.

Something that many won't know about unless you're into the comic-book genre;
The scene where Loki was finalizing that deal with that alien, and that alien's ability to inflict pain upon Loki. That alien was a subordinate to Thanos, who we see in the mid-credits scene. Fighting Thanos will be epic

Old May 6th, 2012, 7:34 am
Sixth Year

Wow, I knew this movie would post big numbers, but I never expected that it would topple DH part 2's record opening weekend. I was hoping DH part 2 would hold onto that title longer than a year . Well, at least it still has highest midnight and single day opening numbers.

I am also surprised at how positive the reviews have been. Joss Whedon must have done a good job. I haven't seen it yet, and was actually wondering how in the world he was going to balance having all those superheroes in one film without creating a mess of a movie but he must have pulled it off.

Old May 6th, 2012, 6:34 pm
Member of the Order

Weekend Estimate; $200.3 Million

'Avengers' Box Office: $200 Million Opening Weekend Breaks Records

Hulk, smash.
That's what Captain America tells the Incredible Hulk to do in "The Avengers," and that's what the Marvel Comics superhero mash-up did at the box office, smashing the domestic revenue record with a $200.3 million debut.

It's by far the biggest opening ever, shooting past the previous record of $169.2 million for the debut of last year's "Harry Potter" finale.

"The Avengers" added $151.5 million overseas over the weekend to bring its total to $441.5 million since it began opening internationally a week earlier.

-------------------------------

Wow.. How about that?

Last edited by Midnightsfire; May 6th, 2012 at 6:36 pm.
Old May 7th, 2012, 12:54 am
Seventh Year

I'm not that surprised that it's doing this well, but it's definitely impressive. Especially so considering that if any one piece of this puzzle hadn't fit, then this whole Avengers initiative, if you will, wouldn't have worked. If Iron Man or The Incredible Hulk or Thor or Captain America had flopped, creatively or financially, this whole plan would have pretty much fallen apart. Those movies aren't all equal, but it's a testament to the care they (Marvel and the filmmakers they brought on) did take with them that this does seem to have worked out so well.

Old May 7th, 2012, 1:38 am
Secret Keeper

I just read a report that said over half the ticket sales were for 3D...

How does that compare to the Potter finale? In other words should we take the new record with a grain of salt?

I've been wrongly sorted into Gryffindor!
Old May 7th, 2012, 1:53 am
Member of the Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 View Post
How does that compare to the Potter finale? In other words should we take the new record with a grain of salt?
*shrugs*
If you want to disregard 3dsales, then toss what percentage of 3d sales of the Potter finale as well.
But money is money. It doesn't matter much where it's coming from.

Old May 7th, 2012, 2:10 am
Curse Breaker

It was actually a good effort. Fairly well constructed (thanks, JW), each of the members of the Initiative had a role to play, and I liked the performances. Hopefully Favreau was taking notes about what worked in this film so that his next Iron Man sequel can live up to this totally reachable standard.

But that's just it, The Incredible Hulk flopped creatively twice (Ang Lee's effort was actually better than whoever directed Norton). Thor was loud and splashy, but a bit disorganized. The Iron Man sequel was mediocre...it didn't have the panache of the first. Only Captain America managed to deliver as much as if not more than expected both in terms of profit and quality (and there's a portion of fandom who remain highly dissatisfied with the selection of Chris Evans as Steve Rogers). This effort (with Wheedon helming the entire ensemble) actually validated all the misfit pieces of the last couple of years.

No worries. No spoilers here.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion