Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion

Catching Fire

Old November 24th, 2013, 9:30 pm
Member of the Order

Re: Catching Fire (Nov 2013)

This was one fantastic movie!

Probably the best movie I've seen this year. (Which doesn't say much I admit)

All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

---Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Million Dollar Baby)
Sponsored Links
Old November 28th, 2013, 3:20 am
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

I loved it. And I agree with everything that has been said. I was super excited about this movie since Catching Fire was my favorite of the books too.

For me, I felt like Catching Fire was real. The acting was outstanding, and so believable. The timing, pacing and dialogue were spot on. While I also loved the sets, I felt like the characters were so compelling that often times I forgot to look around at what the settings were liked. Even Effie, I focused more on her as a character as opposed to what she was wearing.

I do worry Mockingjay isn't going to be nearly as good. The story in the book wasn't as good, and the fact that they're splitting Mockingjay into 2 movies really has me worried. I'm hoping that they have some amazing stuff up their sleeves, because Catching Fire was just so very good.

Regarding the marketing that MrSleepyHead mentioned - I only rarely saw an ad for the film. I'd see subway posters mostly, very few TV spots, and even fewer billboards. What I did see was the marketing emails since I had signed up at http://capitolcouture.pn/home before The Hunger Games came out . The emails were like invitations to the games. The whole thing was as if this was really real, which I felt followed through in the acting and the screenplay.

Old November 28th, 2013, 11:36 pm
Mrs Gilbert Grape

Yeah I was very surprised at how well everything was played out in this movie. I really wasn't impressed with Hunger Games when it came out, so when I went into this movie I was completely blown away. It made me recall the reason why I had liked the books south when they first came out. Everything was spot on and the acting was superb, I found myself getting teary-eyed on as certain parts.

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old November 29th, 2013, 2:01 am
Member of the Order

There were moments that the script surprised me at how well written it was, and how it assumed that we the viewers were intelligent enough to catch certain things that weren't said out loud.
For example,
Spoiler: show
when Katniss first met Mags and she said it was very brave of her to volunteer. When Mags responded by a simple touch, you knew she was referring to Katniss' own example. Which was realized by Katniss' response that she was simply trying to save her sister.

We didn't need our hands held...and have someone explain what was going on..and I loved that. We had the actors and how well they acted to show us they can indeed communicate without saying anything.

...Yeah..I know I'm babbling. I'm going to go see it again...brb.

All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

---Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Million Dollar Baby)
Old February 5th, 2014, 4:41 am
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

Re: Catching Fire

From something I wrote this past Sunday:

Philip Seymour Hoffman's performance for me was probably the highlight of Catching Fire. He played it so that, if you knew the story, you could see the wheels moving behind his eyes - the moves and counter-moves, and then the check and mate. He simultaneously played it so that if you did not know the story, you might never see a thing.

The performance was understated... yet simultaneously a tour-de-force.

RIP Philip Seymour Hoffman.

Hogsmeade Awards 2013: Voted #1 - Biggest Cat Lover | Voted #2 - Most Creative Member |
Voted #2 - Most Likely to Make a Doctor Who Reference

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!
Old February 5th, 2014, 6:08 am
Sixth Year

I absolutely loved Catching Fire! I thought the performances were brilliant and they adapted it very well to the screen. For once I am almost completely satisfied with a novel-to-screen adaptation. The only thing that I missed was some iconic scenes between Peeta and Katniss (such as them making the book of plants, having a picnic on the rooftop, etc.) but admittedly those scenes might have bogged it down a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccollinsmith View Post
From something I wrote this past Sunday:

Philip Seymour Hoffman's performance for me was probably the highlight of Catching Fire. He played it so that, if you knew the story, you could see the wheels moving behind his eyes - the moves and counter-moves, and then the check and mate. He simultaneously played it so that if you did not know the story, you might never see a thing.

The performance was understated... yet simultaneously a tour-de-force.

RIP Philip Seymour Hoffman.
Yes, he did a fabulous job! He really is a great actor. So sad to see him go. RIP.

I wonder what they are planning to do about Heavensbee in Mockingjay...now that we've all seen how well Hoffman played him, it will be hard to find an actor that can match his performance. Any ideas?

Old February 5th, 2014, 6:45 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrangerHermione View Post
I wonder what they are planning to do about Heavensbee in Mockingjay...now that we've all seen how well Hoffman played him, it will be hard to find an actor that can match his performance. Any ideas?
I read tonight that they are not planning to re-cast the part. He had apparently already shot nearly all of his scenes for Mockingjay. There might be a small amount of material missing from his part, but they can probably reassign it without doing damage to the story.

Hogsmeade Awards 2013: Voted #1 - Biggest Cat Lover | Voted #2 - Most Creative Member |

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!
Old February 5th, 2014, 7:34 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccollinsmith View Post
I read tonight that they are not planning to re-cast the part. He had apparently already shot nearly all of his scenes for Mockingjay. There might be a small amount of material missing from his part, but they can probably reassign it without doing damage to the story.
I'm glad to hear that. Like you said before, he brought a lot to the role, and casting someone who couldn't duplicate that depth would take away from the film. Not to mention that just having a different actor, whether he's up to par with Hoffman or not, would disrupt the flow, IMO, the same way that it took some getting used to to switch from Richard Harris to Michael Gambon as Dumbledore.

Old February 8th, 2014, 12:24 pm
MODLY CREW

I read somewhere that they are going to use CGI to complete the unfinished scene with PSH. I'm still saddened by his untimely death.

Old February 8th, 2014, 3:14 pm
I want to believe

For my part, I enjoyed Catching Fire. I actually haven't read the book yet - I seem to be stuck in the pattern of seeing the movies before reading the books with this series, but from what I've read so far (just the first book), I'm inclined to say the movies are better than the books. Great performances all around, and very interesting story. The plan the tributes used to get Katniss to do what she did in the end was cool. The whole ending really made me want to see what happens next. I liked the fact that it was far less predictable than a lot of other things I've read/seen. Phillip Seymor Hoffman's character was one such aspect. At first I didn't trust him. I thought he was working for the president. It was only near the end when he convinces the president to clear the control room that I figured him out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriath View Post
I read somewhere that they are going to use CGI to complete the unfinished scene with PSH. I'm still saddened by his untimely death.
Man, that would be weird. I like the idea of giving his lines to others if possible instead of that. I too am saddened by his death!

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old February 8th, 2014, 3:49 pm

@GraingerHermione -

I am glad that they do not have to re-cast the part. Hoffman really owned it. And you're right that it can create a bit of difficulty with getting used to seeing a different actor play the same role in a series when another actor has already made his mark on it.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemusLupinFan View Post
Man, that would be weird. I like the idea of giving his lines to others if possible instead of that. I too am saddened by his death!
Yeah, CGI would be weird. I wonder if that means that the lines must belong to Plutarch. I can't imagine them going that route unless there is no other way... unless it means that it's not a damatic character-driven scene with lots of dialogue and they think it will be possible to get away with it without the audience noticing very much.

It's a bit eerie now by the way to revisit some earlier pages in this thread when the part of Plutarch was originally cast.

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!
Old February 8th, 2014, 4:50 pm
MODLY CREW

I think they can make it work. From what I have heard, PSH had finished nearly all his scenes and had only a week's worth of work left. Recasting would lead to delays and extra costs and the film would lose the 'tragic death of a talent' appeal that Batman: The Dark Knight profited from. Sad but true.

Old February 9th, 2014, 2:10 am
I want to believe

Quote:
I think they can make it work. From what I have heard, PSH had finished nearly all his scenes and had only a week's worth of work left. Recasting would lead to delays and extra costs and the film would lose the 'tragic death of a talent' appeal that Batman: The Dark Knight profited from. Sad but true.
That's good he didn't have much left to film. Not having read the book, I don't know how easy it would be for filmmakers to reallocate the bits that he hadn't filmed yet to other characters. I think they'd definitely want to keep the parts that were filmed. Perhaps the CGI would work if the shots were from far away or things where he didn't have to do any long bits of dialogue, but I'm still skeptical. I recall the Tron sequel where they CGI'd Jeff Bridges, and I remember thinking it didn't work very well.

In the end, I agree they'll probably get it to work.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old February 9th, 2014, 4:49 am
Second Year

The whole CGI thing is just a rumor based on the comments of someone not affiliated with the project. One source allegedly close to the production has said it is possible to do such things, but it has never officially been stated that they are planning to go that route. Lionsgate has stated that there is a scene that will need some rewriting/re-working, but CGI has not been mentioned. I honestly hope they use what footage they have and do some creative rewriting allowing other characters to fill in for Plutarch.

AsphodelJinx on Pottermore
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion