Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion

Catching Fire

Old July 18th, 2012, 1:15 am
Fourth Year

Re: Catching Fire (2013)

From what I've seen of Sam Claflin in films..I love him. I've seen him in Pirates and in Snow White, and there wasn't anything wrong with his acting, he's good. I think he looks the part well enough. I'll be very happy if he's Finnick.

Sponsored Links
Old July 18th, 2012, 2:18 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikuStark View Post
From what I've seen of Sam Claflin in films..I love him. I've seen him in Pirates and in Snow White, and there wasn't anything wrong with his acting, he's good. I think he looks the part well enough. I'll be very happy if he's Finnick.
I agree. While he was not one of my top picks for Finnick, I will not be disappointed if he does indeed land the role.

I am also super excited about the prospect of Tony Shalhoub as Beetee. He's always been one of my top picks for that role.

EDITED TO UPDATE - According to EW, Melissa Leo is no longer a contender for the role of Mags.

AsphodelJinx on Pottermore

Last edited by Asphodel79; July 18th, 2012 at 3:27 am.
Old July 18th, 2012, 8:01 am
Assistant to Minister Granger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphodel79 View Post
I am also super excited about the prospect of Tony Shalhoub as Beetee. He's always been one of my top picks for that role.
Me too - I love him! I can't wait to see what he does with Beetee.

Old July 18th, 2012, 12:13 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
While Finnick is only 24 in the books, I could see them casting someone a little older. He needs to look older than Katniss for sure...
I can see that happening. Finnick and Johanna are both in their twenties in the books. However, I think the casting directors can be a bit more flexible with the Victor's ages - Finnick and Johanna don't need to be the same ages as they are in the books - they just need to have been Victors long enough to have suffered and be jaded by it, and not too long. So, anywhere twenties to thirties would work for Finnick and Johanna, I think.

Quote:
Edited to update - According to the latest rumours, Sam Claflin is up for the role of Finnick, Melissa Leo is allegedly in the running for Mags, and Tony Shalhoub may be a contender for Beetee. Any thoughts?
Interesting picks, I would be happy with any of those actors in those roles.

Pic by julvett at deviantart http://julvett.deviantart.com/gallery/2984632
"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and she’s trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.
Old July 18th, 2012, 6:00 pm
Fourth Year

Amanda Plummer is a great choice for Wiress! She can do that skittish, nervous, spacy thing very well. Awesome!

As for this guy they are considering for Finnick, I am not familiar with him, but he looks good--just the right combo of handsome without being too pretty, old enough to be believable and not look the same age as Jennifer Lawrence. I could be happy with this choice just on looks alone, but they've done a great job casting so if he's the guy, there must be a reason they chose him! I can totally imagine him in that scene where Katniss meets him for the first time and he's chewing a sugar cube in her ear.

Kudos to Lionsgate for announcing the casting in a way that builds excitement! (even though I want to know NOW about the rest of the casting )

As for Tony Shalhoub, I think he'll make a great Beetee. I'm most familiar with him from the TV show, Wings--I haven't followed him much since he was on that show.

Old July 18th, 2012, 10:40 pm
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

Michael Emerson was probably always a pipe dream for Beetee.

I think Tony Shalhoub would be a good choice. He would bring a different kind of nerdy quirkiness to the role. I can see it.

Given how many 20-something actors play teenagers, I would that agree that Finnick and Johanna do not have to be played by actors in their 20s. The film wouldn't even necessarily have to change the characters' ages if the actors were in their early 30s.

Hogsmeade Awards 2013: Voted #1 - Biggest Cat Lover | Voted #2 - Most Creative Member |
Voted #2 - Most Likely to Make a Doctor Who Reference

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!

Last edited by ccollinsmith; July 18th, 2012 at 11:10 pm. Reason: spelling
Old July 19th, 2012, 7:06 am

Is Melissa Leo still in the running for Mags? She's 30 years too young to play her. I'd be really disappointed if they cast her. Nothing against Leo herself, but Mags is supposed to be a really old lady, barely walking, not a middle-aged one.

Old July 19th, 2012, 1:23 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoana View Post
Is Melissa Leo still in the running for Mags? She's 30 years too young to play her. I'd be really disappointed if they cast her. Nothing against Leo herself, but Mags is supposed to be a really old lady, barely walking, not a middle-aged one.
No, she has been taken out of the running (according to EW).

Old July 19th, 2012, 2:35 pm
The Forums Red Hypergiant Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccollinsmith View Post
Michael Emerson was probably always a pipe dream for Beetee.

I think Tony Shalhoub would be a good choice. He would bring a different kind of nerdy quirkiness to the role. I can see it.
If the filmmakers had a time machine and cast according to my imagination, they'd pick Bob Newhart circa 1990.

Old July 19th, 2012, 3:48 pm

Actors have worked in aging makeup forever, so I don't think the age of the actress playing Mags is an issue - so long as Mags remains old and is played old convincingly. It will be interesting to see how they cast this one.

Hogsmeade Awards 2013: Voted #1 - Biggest Cat Lover | Voted #2 - Most Creative Member |

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!
Old July 19th, 2012, 4:13 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Actors have worked in aging makeup forever, so I don't think the age of the actress playing Mags is an issue - so long as Mags remains old and is played old convincingly. It will be interesting to see how they cast this one.
I agree. Age is not so much of a factor here because makeup can be used to achieve the right look. Now, I am not saying cast some 20 year old, but perhaps someone in their late 50s-60s would work. They need someone who is still fit enough to handle the physical aspects of this role, though I do admit it's not quite as physically demanding as the some of the other roles.

I personally think Phyllis Somerville would be an interesting choice. There were also rumours of Cicely Tyson being considered. I don't know if that is still a possibility, but I'd like that too.

Old July 19th, 2012, 6:24 pm
Second Year

Lots of people saying Sam Claflin took the part as Finnick. Wiki says: "He is set to play Finnick Odair in the The Hunger Games: Catching Fire".
Michael Emerson'd be great but since Greg Proops didn't get the gig for Caesar Flickerman, I have changed my mind and say he should play Beetee. Here's a picture of him---> CLICK ON ME.

Either way, I agree that Philip Seymour Hoffman will be great as Plutarch. Ever since Capote, I've been a fan. It'll be great to see him in HG. In terms of Shaloub, yes, I'd be OK with it.

Melissa Leo can be made to look older to play Mags, as can anyone.

MCA, 1964-2012.
Do visit my My Immortal analysis: http://cwbpresentsmyimmortalanalysis.webs.com/
Old July 20th, 2012, 7:51 am

Quote:
I've always found aging make-up obvious and very distracting. I don't see why it's necessary when there are actors who are the right age to choose from.

Old July 21st, 2012, 3:24 am

Quote:
I've always found aging make-up obvious and very distracting. I don't see why it's necessary when there are actors who are the right age to choose from.
There are not many actors the right age... and fewer still who are in good physical shape. Aging makeup done well can be done seamlessly. But we're talking here about aging a 55-69 year old, not a 20-30 year old. I don't find it a big deal.

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!
Old July 23rd, 2012, 5:31 pm
Second Year

It's official - Jena Malone will be playing Johanna Mason in Catching Fire.

Old July 24th, 2012, 1:09 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
It's official - Jena Malone will be playing Johanna Mason in Catching Fire.
I'm pleased with that. I think she's got the right look (didn't want her to be too pretty--not that Jena isn't an attractive girl). I think she's going to be great. Each casting announcement has me more and more excited! I wonder if Kristen Bell is bummed. I wonder if she even auditioned? I know she wanted the part.

If they don't announce it tomorrow, they'll probably announce Finnick next week.

Old July 24th, 2012, 5:50 am

Quote:
Agreed. Although, I guess, much of the time (indeed, most of the time) it's primarily because I recognize the actor in the makeup and that's what distracts me: An actor being aged to play an older version of the same character. So I suspect that an actor playing an older character and not appearing as his/her actual age might appear less absurd.

Quote:
There are not many actors the right age... and fewer still who are in good physical shape. Aging makeup done well can be done seamlessly. But we're talking here about aging a 55-69 year old, not a 20-30 year old. I don't find it a big deal.
We are talking about Mags, right? Maybe it's just me, but should good physical shape really be a requirement for that role?

Old July 24th, 2012, 4:10 pm
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by canismajoris View Post
We are talking about Mags, right? Maybe it's just me, but should good physical shape really be a requirement for that role?
I never saw her as in good physical shape. She has to be ambulatory, for sure. Able to train somewhat, but she goes into the games voluntarily and knows she's not making it out.

Old July 25th, 2012, 4:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMN View Post
I never saw her as in good physical shape. She has to be ambulatory, for sure. Able to train somewhat, but she goes into the games voluntarily and knows she's not making it out.
That's my impression as well. Obviously none of us has read a screenplay, but I'm not 100% convinced Mags even really needs to have much screen time, let alone scenes running and jumping around in the jungle.

Old August 1st, 2012, 3:34 pm
Fourth Year

So was Tony Shalhoub just a rumor? I noticed on the
Catching Fire Casting Page on Facebook that the role for Beetee isn't filled in. I thought he was announced with Amanda Plummer?

I was listening to the most recent Hunger Games chat from Hypable the other day and one of them mentioned Cloris Leachman for Mags as their fan cast. I think she would be great as her.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion