Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion

Catching Fire

Old June 9th, 2012, 4:57 pm
Second Year

Re: Catching Fire (2013)

I'm curious to see who is cast as Finnick...this decision seems to be creating quite a hype in the news. I also wonder how well the script will come out. Didn't Collins write the script for the the first movie? Part of the reason I liked the Hunger Games movie is because it was very well written and followed the book pretty closely (more closely than films usually follow books, I'd say). Guess we'll have to wait and see...

Old June 9th, 2012, 5:34 pm
Seventh Year

Writing credits for the screenplay are given to Gary Ross, Suzanne Collins (the author) and Billy Ray (not Cyrus, just Billy Ray )

IMDB.com - Hunger Games Full Credits

Old June 19th, 2012, 4:48 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

This is interesting:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1951264/fullcredits#cast

However, internet runours elsewhere suggest he is just in talks at the moment. I think Philip Seymour Hoffman would make a good Plutarch, though.

Pic by julvett at deviantart http://julvett.deviantart.com/gallery/2984632
"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and she’s trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.
Old June 19th, 2012, 5:12 pm
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurryDice View Post
This is interesting:

However, internet runours elsewhere suggest he is just in talks at the moment. I think Philip Seymour Hoffman would make a good Plutarch, though.
Very interesting possibility there. I was thinking of someone larger. But Philip Seymour Hoffman can certainly act!

I just finished the book yesterday, and now I'm on Mockingjay, so I've definitely got a mental image of Plutarch in my mind at the moment. But I'd rather have an excellent actor than someone who conforms to my mental image. And I could definitely see Philip Seymour Hoffman do the scene with the watch.

Hogsmeade Awards 2013: Voted #1 - Biggest Cat Lover | Voted #2 - Most Creative Member |
Voted #2 - Most Likely to Make a Doctor Who Reference

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!
Old June 19th, 2012, 11:15 pm
Seventh Year

I had to google who Plutarch was to even remember the character but now that I have been reminded I think Philip Seymour Hoffman is a great choice. He can play cool and reserved, wild and crazy and every nuance in between.

Old June 20th, 2012, 5:45 am
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Yeah he'd be a good choice.

Last edited by AldeberanBlack; June 20th, 2012 at 5:45 am. Reason: Oh, my reasons are complex and multi-layered.
Old June 21st, 2012, 5:23 pm

This is not an actual casting decision, but a comment on a couple of Moviefone's "fantasy casting" suggestions for Finnick and Beetee: http://hungergamesdwtc.net/2011/08/m...catching-fire/

Finnick: I think Finnick should be fairly easy to cast. The actor just needs to be a 20-something who is a fine physical specimen, who looks good in blonde hair, and who has a reasonable amount of acting range. But I would not want the part to go to Chris Hemsworth... Not because I dislike him but because his brother is already playing Gale, and the shape of their eyes is identical. In fact, I kept wondering during Gale's scenes in the first film where I'd seen those eyes before (the shape is quite distinctive). The trouble is that Finnick's eyes are such a part of his character description that he needs to have distinctive eyes of his own. He can't be looking like Gale wearing blue-green contact lenses. So I vote "no" for Chris Hemsworth.

Beetee: Michael Emerson would be an inspired casting decision. He is an outstanding ensemble player (and lead player) with experience playing this type of character. He can totally own the screen when he is called upon to do so, and he brings with him a large and enthusiastic fanbase. The trouble is that he could potentially run into shooting conflicts with Person of Interest (which ran 23 episodes in its first year). But if they could work it out around his "day job," he might be a perfect choice for this role.

Hogsmeade Awards 2013: Voted #1 - Biggest Cat Lover | Voted #2 - Most Creative Member |

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!

Last edited by ccollinsmith; June 28th, 2012 at 8:33 pm. Reason: added info on Michael Emerson
Old June 29th, 2012, 1:52 am
Second Year

There's some movement on the Johanna casting front. According to Deadline, Zoe Aggeliki and Jena Malone have auditioned and it seems Zoe is favored.

Read more at http://www.deadline.com/2012/06/hung...na-mason-role/.

AsphodelJinx on Pottermore
Old July 9th, 2012, 6:56 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurryDice View Post
This is interesting:

It's now official! Lionsgate released a statement today saying that Philip Seymour Hoffman has accepted the role. I think he's a great choice!

Old July 9th, 2012, 8:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphodel79 View Post
It's now official! Lionsgate released a statement today saying that Philip Seymour Hoffman has accepted the role. I think he's a great choice!
Excellent! I agree that he's a great choice.

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!
Old July 9th, 2012, 8:55 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccollinsmith View Post
Excellent! I agree that he's a great choice.
Now what will it take for Michael Emerson to sign for Beetee? (He would be perfect casting)

Old July 9th, 2012, 11:10 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddess_Clio View Post
Now what will it take for Michael Emerson to sign for Beetee? (He would be perfect casting)
I would love Michael Emerson as Beetee, but I wonder how tied up he is with Person of Interest. If there was a way to work around that schedule, he'd be absolutely perfect!

Old July 10th, 2012, 3:44 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
I am *so* thrilled with this news! I think he is going to be perfect as Plutarch.

For whatever reason, I imagined Beetee as a small framed, nerdy, mid-50s-ish african american. Wiry, graying hair, wire glasses etc. I'm not sure what his actual physical description even was in the book (a friend has my copy) and I'm not sure his race is even described? I'm sure whoever they cast for that character will be just right, regardless. They've done a good job with casting so far.

Old July 10th, 2012, 6:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddess_Clio View Post
I said the same thing up the page. I would soooooooo love for Michael Emerson to play Beetee, though they'd have to find a way to work it around Person of Interest. I don't know if they're even considering him for the role... but they should be!

BTW I thought of Beetee as African-American too! But then I heard the Emerson fantasy casting and it just sounded so perfect.

ETA: Another advantage to casting Emerson is that he is a real team player and would gladly make the rounds of all the talk shows. He is extremely articulate and is already a popular guest.

I know it's probably just fantasy casting, but I think he would be a great asset.

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!

Last edited by ccollinsmith; July 10th, 2012 at 7:07 am.
Old July 10th, 2012, 12:06 pm
Fourth Year

I had to look up Emerson, and although I'm not familiar with his acting, he certainly looks the part of Beetee!

Old July 10th, 2012, 11:45 pm
Second Year

I am hoping we will hear more casting news this week or next. I am anxious to find out if Jena Malone accepted the role of Johanna. I think everyone wants to know who is playing Finnick.

In somewhat related news, the premiere dates for Mockingjay 1 & 2 have been set.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/07/hung...ber-2014-2015/

Old July 11th, 2012, 5:28 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
I am hoping we will hear more casting news this week or next. I am anxious to find out if Jena Malone accepted the role of Johanna. I think everyone wants to know who is playing Finnick.

In somewhat related news, the premiere dates for Mockingjay 1 & 2 have been set.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/07/hung...ber-2014-2015/
I have a feeling we'll know by the end of the week. Monday they confirmed PSH for Plutarch, yesterday we got news about Mockingjay, I bet we get more news as the week goes on.

Old July 17th, 2012, 5:15 pm
Second Year

Casting update - Lionsgate has confirmed that Amanda Plummer (daughter of Christopher Plummer) will be playing Wiress. I think she's a good choice for the role.

I still wish they would confirm or deny Jena Malone's casting.

Old July 17th, 2012, 5:42 pm
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

I'm just discovering that they're casting for Catching Fire. So exciting. I like how they're doing the Facebook page again and adding pics as casting is announced:
https://www.facebook.com/thehungerga...32927770063734

I love PSH, but I don't picture him as Plutarch. I pictured Plutarch as someone who is calculated and cunning (PSH can easily pull that off) but with more of a nervous almost giddy energy. I don't think Hoffman will play him that way at all. The level of excitement that Plutarch has in CF is noticeable, it's all a big game to him, and it shows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccollinsmith View Post
Finnick: I think Finnick should be fairly easy to cast. The actor just needs to be a 20-something who is a fine physical specimen, who looks good in blonde hair, and who has a reasonable amount of acting range.
I pictured Finnick as more of an early 30's. I feel like he has to look older than Katniss to be credible in the part. But I agree, he has to be a 'fine physical specimen' as you say. I picture him sort of as a smart surfer.

Old July 17th, 2012, 7:01 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMN View Post
I pictured Finnick as more of an early 30's. I feel like he has to look older than Katniss to be credible in the part. But I agree, he has to be a 'fine physical specimen' as you say. I picture him sort of as a smart surfer.
While Finnick is only 24 in the books, I could see them casting someone a little older. He needs to look older than Katniss for sure...

Edited to update - According to the latest rumours, Sam Claflin is up for the role of Finnick, Melissa Leo is allegedly in the running for Mags, and Tony Shalhoub may be a contender for Beetee. Any thoughts?

Last edited by Asphodel79; July 18th, 2012 at 12:35 am.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion