Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion

Catching Fire

Old May 10th, 2012, 9:27 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Re: Catching Fire (2013)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliciousMoon View Post
I agree with this. Also a new director might mean less shaky cam.

I just hope that the trilogy will keep a similar look, unlike the harry potter films where the different directors just had completely different visions.

I am excited for the casting of Finnick.
I think the casting for Finnick and Johanna will be interesting. It will also be interesting to see how many people are completely against the casting decisions, because no matter who is cast, they won't be exactly as everyone imagined Finnick and Johanna.
The ages for the actors can be cast a bit wider than for Hunger Games - as long as they are still relatively young and athletic enough to credibly do well in the Quell. The other Victors will make for interesting casting as well - I wonder if they're going to go for character actors or cameo parts for these characters.

Quote:
Please no.. The first Hunger Games was really close to the book, and I'd prefer that they did that for the second one as well.
I agree, I'm glad Cuaron isn't directing Catching Fire. I wouldn't like to see the characters flipped on their heads and the plotline gutted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 View Post
I think it's a good choice. I Am Legend is great from what I've seen and I feel Water for Elephants was one of last year's most under-rated films.
I like the choice. I think, hopefully, he will keep to the spirit and storyline of the book and preserve the characters as they are.

Pic by julvett at deviantart http://julvett.deviantart.com/gallery/2984632
"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and she’s trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.
Sponsored Links
Old May 11th, 2012, 7:45 am
Assistant to Minister Granger

Apparently there's a fan effort to get Jesse Williams cast as Finnick.

Jesse Williams:    

10 Photos That Illustrate Why Jesse Williams Should Play Finnick Odair In “The Hunger Games” Sequels

I personally approve very much.

Last edited by Yoana; May 11th, 2012 at 7:49 am.
Old May 11th, 2012, 8:45 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoana View Post
Apparently there's a fan effort to get Jesse Williams cast as Finnick.

Jesse Williams:    

10 Photos That Illustrate Why Jesse Williams Should Play Finnick Odair In “The Hunger Games” Sequels

I personally approve very much.
Well the acid test will be how he looks in a golden fishnet.

Old May 11th, 2012, 3:55 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsJPotter View Post
Well the acid test will be how he looks in a golden fishnet.

That's not how I pictured Finnick at all but I wouldn't mind him playing the part; he has beautiful eyes.

Finnick, for me, was almost a nothing character in the books. He played an important role and wasn't a throw away character in that he had nothing to do or no contribution to make to the plot but I felt like he was very flat, very one-note character and to be honest I just can't see what it is that fans love about him aside from the fact that he's supposed to be smokin' hot. If anyone would like to enlighten me I'd be happy to hear your arguments in Finnick's favor.

Old May 11th, 2012, 6:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddess_Clio View Post
Finnick, for me, was almost a nothing character in the books. He played an important role and wasn't a throw away character in that he had nothing to do or no contribution to make to the plot but I felt like he was very flat, very one-note character and to be honest I just can't see what it is that fans love about him aside from the fact that he's supposed to be smokin' hot. If anyone would like to enlighten me I'd be happy to hear your arguments in Finnick's favor.
I agree with everything you said here. Granted, I'm not yet finished with Mockingjay, but so far I basically have nothing to associate him with. But I could say the same thing for basically all the characters, sadly, except maybe Peeta. Maybe.

Old May 13th, 2012, 2:48 am
First Year

Is it weird that when I first read about Finnick in the books, that I pictured Cormac from the Half-Blood Prince film? Not overly hot (I'n not someone who fusses over boys really) but certainly had some sort of charm in his looks and manner.

Jesse Williams doesn't look right for the part for me.

Ravenclaw on CoS
Hufflepuff on Pottermore
Old May 13th, 2012, 8:45 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liez View Post
Is it weird that when I first read about Finnick in the books, that I pictured Cormac from the Half-Blood Prince film? Not overly hot (I'n not someone who fusses over boys really) but certainly had some sort of charm in his looks and manner.

I had trouble picturing Finnick from the books. I only remember him being described with tan skin, bronze hair, and green eyes. (Though a lot of artists depicted him with red hair and pale skin?!) And of course being really attractive and muscular. As far as book descriptions go Jesse Williams fits imo! I wouldn't be disappointed if they chose him.

Last edited by DeliciousMoon; May 13th, 2012 at 9:12 pm.
Old May 14th, 2012, 5:58 pm
Second Year

Quote:
I had trouble picturing Finnick from the books. I only remember him being described with tan skin, bronze hair, and green eyes. (Though a lot of artists depicted him with red hair and pale skin?!) And of course being really attractive and muscular.
Is it bad/weird that I always pictured Hayden Christensen as Finnick? I think he's very attractive and an ok actor - personally I'd think he'd be perfect as Finnick.

I'm one of the people who can't picture images when reading, so I usually just pick an actor based on the author's descriptions of characters. The only other character I can picture is Tom Wilkinson as Beetee:

Spoiler: show

Old May 15th, 2012, 12:35 am
Secret Chocolate Keeper

It's the best book IMO, so I'm sure it will make a great movie. The Tick Tock arena alone will make it worth watching. Especially the killer monkeys.

Old May 20th, 2012, 11:02 pm
Banned

Quote:
As far as book descriptions go Jesse Williams fits imo! I wouldn't be disappointed if they chose him.
Yes physically he does fit the book description. One of my only (minor and easily fixed) problems with Jesse Williams is that, according to his biography, he's only 31. Finnick must be around 40. He won the Second Quarter Quell when he was about 16, IIRC. So when the Third Quarter Quell happens 25 years later, he'd be about 41 - and, that's my second problem, he has become very cynical, very jaded, very bitter, under the shallow playboy face he presents to the world.

I haven't seen Jesse Williams in anything before, so I don't know how good an actor he is, and whether he'd be able to convey all that, after having himself aged a bit by appropriate make-up. The latter shouldn't be a problem.

I can't wait to see who they end up casting as Finnick.

Old May 21st, 2012, 12:59 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by myosotis View Post
Yes physically he does fit the book description. One of my only (minor and easily fixed) problems with Jesse Williams is that, according to his biography, he's only 31. Finnick must be around 40. He won the Second Quarter Quell when he was about 16, IIRC. So when the Third Quarter Quell happens 25 years later, he'd be about 41 - and, that's my second problem, he has become very cynical, very jaded, very bitter, under the shallow playboy face he presents to the world.

I haven't seen Jesse Williams in anything before, so I don't know how good an actor he is, and whether he'd be able to convey all that, after having himself aged a bit by appropriate make-up. The latter shouldn't be a problem.

I can't wait to see who they end up casting as Finnick.
Actually, Finnick is only 24. He won the 65th Hunger Games at the age of 14.

Haymitch is the one who won the 2nd Quarter Quell.

Old May 21st, 2012, 1:12 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by myosotis View Post
It was Haymitch who won the second quarter quell, not Finnick. Finnick won the 65th games, which would put him at around 24 years old at the time of Catching Fire.

Edit: Whoops, missed Asphodel79's post.

Old May 21st, 2012, 3:24 am
Banned

Quote:
It was Haymitch who won the second quarter quell, not Finnick. Finnick won the 65th games, which would put him at around 24 years old at the time of Catching Fire.

Edit: Whoops, missed Asphodel79's post.
Oops! You're both right! My bad! I wasn't thinking and mixed up Haymitch and Finnick. How embarassing!!

I take back everything I said.

Old May 21st, 2012, 6:52 am

Jesse Williams is a regular on Grey's Anatomy and in my (unprofessional) opinion, he has a wide emotional spectre and is especially good at being smoulderingly sexy.

Old May 31st, 2012, 6:43 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liez View Post

I could totally see the actor who played Cormac as Finnick. (Why can I not remember his name?! )

I've never seen Jesse Williams act, and he's not what I pictured when I imagine Finnick, but he does have amazing eyes (which do fit the description of the character). If he is a good actor, I wouldn't be disappointed. He is very good looking. As long as they have someone who can pull off a smoldering sensuality and yet still be charming and damaged (come Mockingjay)...I can get over someone not matching what I imagined. I feel the same way as Josh as Peeta--I kind of forgot that the character had blonde hair when reading because the whole time I imagined Josh as him (even before I knew he was cast)...I wish they had left Josh with his natural hair color because I think he looks kind of weird dyed blonde. But I'm sure people would have had a fit if that was the case. But acting-wise, Josh was all Peeta.

That all said, I am not-very-patiently-awaiting the casting decisions for Finnick and Johanna. One article I read last night said they wished for a time machine so a young Jude Law could be cast as Finnick. This is the picture they linked to. Young Jude Law could have worked!

Old May 31st, 2012, 7:42 pm
Seventh Year

Heard on the radio the other day that it was rumored that Robert Pattinson was being cast in Catching Fire and I thought he might get cast as Finnick if that happened.

Thank god it was only a rumor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherD View Post
One article I read last night said they wished for a time machine so a young Jude Law could be cast as Finnick. This is the picture they linked to. Young Jude Law could have worked!
I'd take a young Jude Law for myself!

Old May 31st, 2012, 10:37 pm
Second Year

According to multiple sources (EW, eonline, etc), the top three contenders for Finnick are allegedly Armie Hammer, Garrett Hedlund, and Taylor Kitsch. Today other sources are reporting that it's down the Hedlund and Kitsch, though Kitsch has stated he does not wish to play Finnick. Armie Hammer's schedule it pretty busy as well, so I don't have much faith in these rumours. The same articles seem to indicate that some unknowns are also being considered.

http://popwatch.ew.com/2012/05/30/th...sting-finnick/

Old June 1st, 2012, 6:51 am

Of those three i like Garrett Hedlund the best, in terms of looks. I haven't seen any of them act.

Old June 1st, 2012, 6:12 pm
Fourth Year

I'm hoping for Garrett or an unknown actor. I personally wouldn't mind Armie just based on his looks, but I haven't seen him in anything to base off of.

Old June 6th, 2012, 4:28 am
Second Year

Apparently the casting shortlist rumours are not exactly true...

Nina Jacobson (producer) denies the claims that they have narrowed the field for Finnick.

Read more at http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/movi...e-finnick.html

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion