Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion

Catching Fire

Old December 15th, 2011, 8:18 pm
Sixth Year

Catching Fire

I guess lionsgate is really confident that hunger games is going to be a huge hit since they have already picked a release date for catching fire. Gary Ross is set to direct again and they are looking at oscar winning screenwriter Simon Beaufoy (slumdog millionaire) to pen the script. It is set for release Nov 22, 2013. I guess with no more HP or twilight sequels, that weekend now is prime for the HG franchise.

The first book was my favorite, but the second was pretty compelling as well.

http://www.deadline.com/tag/catching-fire/
http://www.fandango.com/movieblog/hu...ed-673633.html

Sponsored Links
Old December 15th, 2011, 8:40 pm
Sixth Year

Re: Catching Fire

Awesome. The first book was also my favorite, so I'm looking forward to the first movie the most, of course.

But I'll definitely see the rest of the trilogy.

Pottermore: SnidgetCharm86
Old December 15th, 2011, 9:57 pm
Sixth Year

I am impressed that they seem to be going for critically acclaimed talent (i.e. jennifer lawrence, the slumdog millionaire screenwriter, etc.) I wonder if they are going for oscars on this one unlike HP and twilight. I think the story is compelling enough that there is actually potential for that.

Old December 22nd, 2011, 4:45 am
Mrs Gilbert Grape

Uh wait...the first one isn't even out yet.

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old December 22nd, 2011, 4:48 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhanax315 View Post
Uh wait...the first one isn't even out yet.
I know. I guess lionsgate is just really confident they have a sure fire hit on their hands.

Old December 25th, 2011, 3:48 am
First Year

I am extremely exited about them all. I am worried about all the movie ratings though. I am not quite old enough to see the movies if they are going to be rated above pg 13.

Old January 20th, 2012, 9:37 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by HersheyLipGloss View Post
I am extremely exited about them all. I am worried about all the movie ratings though. I am not quite old enough to see the movies if they are going to be rated above pg 13.
I can't see the films having a rating above pg-13, the books are YA after all so the film makers won't want to cut off a part of the fanbase.

I'm very surprised that they've already confirmed CF, but I suppose already having a lot of eager fans and the HG trailer being well received made them confident that people will watch the film and want to watch the sequels.

Images taken from http://dft.ba/-2M6r
Do not anger the kitty!Avengers.

Learning to Live Again One shots
Old April 11th, 2012, 1:56 pm
Seventh Year

Re: Catching Fire (2013)

So it's been confirmed that Gary Ross won't be directing CF. Any thoughts?

POTTERMORE USERNAME: FelicisNimbus168
IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO ADD ME ON POTTERMORE PLEASE OWL ME HERE SO I KNOW WHO IT IS
Old April 12th, 2012, 2:41 am
Hogwarts Graduate

He did a good job but I didn't get the impression that he was irreplaceable. I'm sure another director can do a better job. It's just them finding that director. I'm not sure who they'll get with this type of timeline.

Old April 12th, 2012, 4:36 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgold View Post
He did a good job but I didn't get the impression that he was irreplaceable. I'm sure another director can do a better job. It's just them finding that director. I'm not sure who they'll get with this type of timeline.
I agree with this. Also a new director might mean less shaky cam.

I just hope that the trilogy will keep a similar look, unlike the harry potter films where the different directors just had completely different visions.

I am excited for the casting of Finnick.

Old April 12th, 2012, 5:01 am
Ordo Lebes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliciousMoon View Post
I agree with this. Also a new director might mean less shaky cam.
Haha, that was my thought. I wasn't a fan of the shaky cam. So long as the next director takes the story as seriously as Gary Ross did, I'll be excited to see what he/she has in store.

Quote:
I am excited for the casting of Finnick.
Mhm, and Johanna. They were two of my favourite characters.

They did such a good job casting the first film that for once I'm not actually worried about who they'll cast for the rest of the trilogy.

Believe me. I never betrayed James and Lily. I would have died before I betrayed them.
Old April 12th, 2012, 8:17 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccioHP View Post
So it's been confirmed that Gary Ross won't be directing CF. Any thoughts?
I'm not really bothered he's gone to be honest. I think he did a very good job with The Hunger Games but I've never really been impressed with any of his other work. I'm hoping Alfonso Cuaron will take over - I hoped he would be the one to direct Hunger Games before Ross was decided. It's slightly ironic since I was never very fond of the visual style he used for Prisoner of Azkaban, although he did a brilliant job adapting it's story.

Last edited by StaceysChain; April 12th, 2012 at 8:36 pm.
Old April 12th, 2012, 10:42 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

LA Times
Directors'Catching Fire' director: Lionsgate eyeing Cronenberg, Innaritu, Cuaron

The master list is seven or eight names long, all men, and all have some significant credits to their name. Lionsgate is basically hoping to re-create the "Harry Potter" moment when Warner Bros. brought Alfonso Cuaron to direct the third film in the series. (Chris Columbus left after helming the first two.) Cuaron was a creative choice who excited critics, journalists and author J.K. Rowling, who all were interested in what the director of "Y Tu Mama Tambien" would do with the series.

In fact, Cuaron is in the mix for "Catching Fire," along with David Cronenberg and Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu, among others. All have been working in the industry for decades and trend more toward darker, indie fare than commercial hits.
Cronenberg wouldn't do this but I absolutely loved what Cuaron did with the Prisoner of Azkaban so I would say yes to him./

Old April 13th, 2012, 1:59 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaceysChain View Post
I'm hoping Alfonso Cuaron will take over - I hoped he would be the one to direct Hunger Games before Ross was decided. It's slightly ironic since I was never very fond of the visual style he used for Prisoner of Azkaban, although he did a brilliant job adapting it's story.
Please no.. The first Hunger Games was really close to the book, and I'd prefer that they did that for the second one as well.

I can't wait to see the designs for the arena in this one. That was my favourite part of the book by far and it has the potential to look amazing visually!

Old April 18th, 2012, 2:50 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Even more director speculation:

Indiewire
Catching Fire director speculationSources close to the project tell The Playlist that "Moneyball" helmer Bennet Miller and "I Am Legend" director Francis Lawrence are also in contention for the gig. Miller is coming off the very strong baseball drama (another project he picked up in flux when Steven Soderbergh's version was axed at the last minute) which journeyed all the way to the Oscars with six nominations including Best Picture. There's no doubt he's got a handle on drama and emotional tone, and full-on action fare would be a new dynamic, but the filmmaker has proven himself extremely adaptable given his documentary beginnings. There is also the question of "Foxcatcher," the true crime tale he's been trying to make ever since he finished "Capote." Mark Ruffalo recently joined the film that is eyeing a fall shoot, but would Miller be willing to put it on the backburner again? Could there be other factors at play pushing it back? These questions will need answering if Miller were to move forward here.

Meanwhile, Lawrence is the more obvious fit here. The former music video director and filmmaker knows action and effects down cold, and can also handle the dramatic beats the story would need, evidenced by "Water For Elephants." And perhaps more importantly, his schedule is free and he could jump into this right away and get cracking on firming up the Simon Beaufoy-penned script (which we hear needs work) and getting into pre-production mode for the film that could be lensing as early as August.

Old April 20th, 2012, 2:49 am
Second Year

Francis Lawrence (I Am Legend, Constantine, Water for Elephants) has been tapped as director for Catching Fire. You can read more at http://www.deadline.com/2012/04/fran...catching-fire/. I am not entirely sure how I feel about this. It will be interesting to see who is cast for roles such as Johanna, Finnick and Plutarch.

Old April 20th, 2012, 9:28 pm
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphodel79 View Post
Francis Lawrence (I Am Legend, Constantine, Water for Elephants) has been tapped as director for Catching Fire. You can read more at http://www.deadline.com/2012/04/fran...catching-fire/. I am not entirely sure how I feel about this. It will be interesting to see who is cast for roles such as Johanna, Finnick and Plutarch.
I think it's a good choice. I Am Legend is great from what I've seen and I feel Water for Elephants was one of last year's most under-rated films. I'm not however too thrilled with what I read on RopesofSilicon about the plot of the sequel, which to me sounds very contrived

Quote:
The second book in Collins's trilogy centers on a special edition of the Hunger Games, which takes place every quarter-century as tributes are "reaped" from the victors of past games. Considering the number of winners from lead character Katniss Everdeen's (Jennifer Lawrence) District 12, I'm sure you can put the rest together.
http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/francis...catching-fire/

I won't judge further until I've read it, but my impression was the sequels are more about Katniss leading an uprising then the Games...

I've been wrongly sorted into Gryffindor!

Last edited by lcbaseball22; April 20th, 2012 at 9:32 pm.
Old April 20th, 2012, 11:41 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 View Post
I think it's a good choice. I Am Legend is great from what I've seen and I feel Water for Elephants was one of last year's most under-rated films. I'm not however too thrilled with what I read on RopesofSilicon about the plot of the sequel, which to me sounds very contrived

http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/francis...catching-fire/

I won't judge further until I've read it, but my impression was the sequels are more about Katniss leading an uprising then the Games...
Definitely read Catching Fire. You will see how the Games in that book lead to the uprising. I don't want to say too much though as I don't want to spoil it for you.

And I am going to remain optimistic about the director. I think Catching Fire is my favorite of the three (though I love them all). Hopefully, he will do it justice. If nothing else, the special effects should be decent.

Old April 21st, 2012, 12:12 am
Secret Keeper

Ok. Yeah I have heard that the general consensus is the 2nd is the best and the 3rd the worst because people don't like how it wrapped up.

I think I might go watch I Am Legend in it's entirety now to get a better idea of how well Lawrence might fit. In addition to movies he has also directed music videos (David Fincher started out the same btw) so I think he has a strong sense of style. Hopefully less shaky cam!

A couple interesting articles-

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...3.photogallery

http://popwatch.ew.com/2012/04/20/fr...-hunger-games/

I've been wrongly sorted into Gryffindor!

Last edited by lcbaseball22; April 21st, 2012 at 1:19 am.
Old April 21st, 2012, 2:14 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 View Post
I'd definitely recommend reading it. It wasn't as good as the first imo, but still better than the third.

I think even the director from the first film said he would use less shaky cam the second time around, but I don't have a quote with me right now. Fingers crossed this is the case!