Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Writer's Corner

NaNoWriMo 2011!

Old November 29th, 2012, 1:43 pm
Suteki da ne

Re: NaNoWriMo 2011!

That's what I've done with the story I started writing yesterday. I counted the first three pages I wrote on A4 paper and it seems that I'm hitting somewhere between 390 and 410 words per page (my writing is very small)

When I was trying the NaNoWriMo, I was counting every single word, and it meant that I was just getting bogged down with the word count and not being that bothered about the actual story

We asked ourselves, "Can we really fight 24 hours?" And the answer was, "We will fight 8,760 hours!"
- Nobuo Uematsu

Sponsored Links
Old December 3rd, 2012, 11:55 pm
Fourth Year

I wish I could've worked more on my NaNo story during November, but then life happened and I think I only got to a little over 11 000 words. Stupid life. I couldn't concentrate, and writing suddenly seemed pointless. But I'm going to try again next year!

You get ideas from daydreaming. You get ideas from being bored. You get ideas all the time.
The only difference between writers and other people is we notice when we're doing it.

óNeil Gaiman

Thank you so much, lilyrose, for the lovely avatar and signature pictures!
Old December 4th, 2012, 12:48 am
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning_Star View Post
I wish I could've worked more on my NaNo story during November, but then life happened and I think I only got to a little over 11 000 words. Stupid life. I couldn't concentrate, and writing suddenly seemed pointless. But I'm going to try again next year!
Maybe you should continue with the 11K words you have. You don't need to wait for NaNo.

Old December 4th, 2012, 1:12 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desraelda View Post
Maybe you should continue with the 11K words you have. You don't need to wait for NaNo.
I know, but I didn't really like my story very much. I think it could've gotten better, but to continue I'd need the pressure of a deadline and the supporting feeling of writing with thousands of others. I might pick up a story I started writing years ago, though. I actually knew more or less where it might go, and while I didn't write that much in November, NaNo did make me want to write again.

Hmm, I think I'll continue on that story, once life gives me enough of a break for me to start being creative again. Thanks for reminding me!

You get ideas from daydreaming. You get ideas from being bored. You get ideas all the time.
The only difference between writers and other people is we notice when we're doing it.

óNeil Gaiman

Old December 4th, 2012, 9:00 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning_Star View Post
I know, but I didn't really like my story very much. I think it could've gotten better, but to continue I'd need the pressure of a deadline and the supporting feeling of writing with thousands of others. I might pick up a story I started writing years ago, though. I actually knew more or less where it might go, and while I didn't write that much in November, NaNo did make me want to write again.

Hmm, I think I'll continue on that story, once life gives me enough of a break for me to start being creative again. Thanks for reminding me!
Good luck! Keep us posted on your progress.

Old December 5th, 2012, 9:04 pm
Suteki da ne

In that case, why don't we do our own speed writing competition on CoS?

I dunno, make it a few months instead of just one, and make it a wider range of where you need to get to in your writing

I'm not saying this because NaNo is too difficult for me, just that I wasn't suited to it, and perhaps I (and others) would do better in a competition with fewer restrictions...

Does that even make sense?

We asked ourselves, "Can we really fight 24 hours?" And the answer was, "We will fight 8,760 hours!"
- Nobuo Uematsu

Old March 1st, 2013, 9:57 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlubalybub View Post
In that case, why don't we do our own speed writing competition on CoS?

I dunno, make it a few months instead of just one, and make it a wider range of where you need to get to in your writing

I'm not saying this because NaNo is too difficult for me, just that I wasn't suited to it, and perhaps I (and others) would do better in a competition with fewer restrictions...

Does that even make sense?
I love the sound of that! A more reachable goal that I can set myself - say 100-300 words per day - over a longer time would be much better for me. I know I can set a goal like that for me and try to reach it on my own, but for some reason I am never able to reach my goals unless someone else knows about them.

óNeil Gaiman

Old March 17th, 2013, 1:01 pm
Suteki da ne

Pleasepleaseplease can we do this?!

- Nobuo Uematsu

Old March 23rd, 2013, 3:18 am
Sixth Year

Sounds great! I'm up for it. Because I utterly failed at NaNo. All I have to show for it is the the couple thousand words I had at the beginning. I think having more time (at a more convenient time, too) will help me reach my goals better.

Old March 23rd, 2013, 4:14 am
Third Year

It sounds like a fun idea to me too. Nanowrimo was pretty frustrating and I think I'd like to try a different approach in writing my book.

Old March 23rd, 2013, 4:01 pm
Registered Animagus

So, who's going to start posting their wordage? And when do we start?

Old March 24th, 2013, 9:38 am
Suteki da ne

How's this then?

If I post a thread on the 2nd April (I'm not doing it on the first, people will think it's a hoax) and let's say 40000-70000 words by 1st July? That gives us three months, which is obviously a lot longer than NaNo...

What do you think? CoS Speed Writing Competition!

Hmm...I think we may need someone to make a graphic or two, one for people taking part, and one for people who have managed it? Any volunteers?

- Nobuo Uematsu

Old March 25th, 2013, 3:48 am
Registered Animagus

Quote:
How's this then?

If I post a thread on the 2nd April (I'm not doing it on the first, people will think it's a hoax) and let's say 40000-70000 words by 1st July? That gives us three months, which is obviously a lot longer than NaNo...

What do you think? CoS Speed Writing Competition!

Hmm...I think we may need someone to make a graphic or two, one for people taking part, and one for people who have managed it? Any volunteers?
Sounds good. Starting on 4/2 is perfect for me. I've got too much going on over the next week to even think about writing a word.

Old March 25th, 2013, 10:41 am
Suteki da ne

Mind you, it'd probably make more sense if I start the thread before the 2nd, but it opens on the 2nd...

I've asked the staff if it's all OK, I'm just waiting for a reply. Also asked where I can inquire about getting some graphics done...

- Nobuo Uematsu

Old March 25th, 2013, 6:35 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Mind you, it'd probably make more sense if I start the thread before the 2nd, but it opens on the 2nd...

I've asked the staff if it's all OK, I'm just waiting for a reply. Also asked where I can inquire about getting some graphics done...
I'll pop over there. Thanks for setting it up.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Writer's Corner