Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Writer's Corner

NaNoWriMo 2011!

Old November 3rd, 2011, 2:19 pm
Malum Veneficus

Re: NaNoWriMo 2011!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SopophorousBean View Post
I got to 5000 words today which I never thought I'd do, but to be fair I don't have many other commitments, and I didn't have anything planned today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvngbooks View Post
I'm currently at 5,445 words - but I'm not done for the day so I hope to crack at least 6K today.
That's just impressive! Good luck and keep it up! .

I just passed the 3k today.

Thanks to my secret sigswitch maker, for the wonderful avatar and signature!

Sig/avatar pictures by Cassandra Austen.
Sponsored Links
Old November 8th, 2011, 8:27 am
Second Year

I'm rather behind at the moment... only 8,000 words. But there's no school tomorrow, thankfully. Looks like I'm planning an official drink-lots-of-tea-and-listen-to-film-score-music-while-trying-to-get-in-5,000-words-day!

--
"Words are, in my not-so-humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic."
Old November 8th, 2011, 12:16 pm
Suteki da ne

I'm at just over 1000 still, but I've set myself a goal to get to 6000 by Friday. Once I've got there, I think I'll be well on the way

We asked ourselves, "Can we really fight 24 hours?" And the answer was, "We will fight 8,760 hours!"
- Nobuo Uematsu

Old November 9th, 2011, 11:44 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

I'm behind at the moment (on a trip that should last a week and don't feel like writing) but I hope to make up for it when I get home. Good luck to everyone participating!

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Old November 10th, 2011, 12:27 am
HighFunctioning Sociopath

I've completely fallen off the writing wagon

Old November 10th, 2011, 5:17 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melaszka View Post
I've completely fallen off the writing wagon
Me too. How about we help each other back up? I challenge you to write 1,000 words before midnight tomorrow (Thursday). I'm going to try to do the same.

It's just 1,000 words, think of it that way. Don't think about what's going to fill up the rest of the 50,000... or about meeting the "minimum daily word count" of 1,667. Just write 1,000 words. YOU CAN DO EEET!

Thank you, COS, for the last 10 years. These forums will be greatly missed.
Old November 10th, 2011, 12:16 pm
Suteki da ne

Hahaha- 6000 words, my bottom. I'm still on 1500...

We asked ourselves, "Can we really fight 24 hours?" And the answer was, "We will fight 8,760 hours!"
- Nobuo Uematsu

Old November 10th, 2011, 12:53 pm
HighFunctioning Sociopath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Imago View Post
Me too. How about we help each other back up? I challenge you to write 1,000 words before midnight tomorrow (Thursday). I'm going to try to do the same.

It's just 1,000 words, think of it that way. Don't think about what's going to fill up the rest of the 50,000... or about meeting the "minimum daily word count" of 1,667. Just write 1,000 words. YOU CAN DO EEET!
Thanks. I'll try to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlubalybub View Post
Hahaha- 6000 words, my bottom. I'm still on 1500...
Same here.

Old November 10th, 2011, 12:55 pm
Third Year

I think I'm the first NaNo-er to drop out I managed to get to 2000 words on the first days of November but then came down with the flu. For the past week I've been barely able to get out of bed to get to lectures, let alone have the energy to write anything. I went home this weekend so I could get looked after by my mum and she advised me to stop NaNo... it's probably more important to try and keep up with uni work than bother with catching back up. Still, I'm really disappointed in myself and sad to leave my story behind for now Good luck to everyone else still writing!

Old November 10th, 2011, 5:41 pm
Sixth Year

Gah, I'm having a difficult time just getting it started! I have several pages written, but I still can't get my story to take off.

I have my overall plot and characters all planned out. Just getting it going is the hard part.

I have a friend with already 22,000 words written!!

Pottermore: SnidgetCharm86
Old November 10th, 2011, 6:20 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashMemory View Post
I think I'm the first NaNo-er to drop out I managed to get to 2000 words on the first days of November but then came down with the flu. For the past week I've been barely able to get out of bed to get to lectures, let alone have the energy to write anything. I went home this weekend so I could get looked after by my mum and she advised me to stop NaNo... it's probably more important to try and keep up with uni work than bother with catching back up. Still, I'm really disappointed in myself and sad to leave my story behind for now Good luck to everyone else still writing!
Do NOT be disappointed in yourself. There is no shame in putting NaNo aside for things that are more important.

The only things that we care about here at CoS are:
1. That you get better. Physical health is much more important than getting a few words down on paper.
2. That you spend time focusing on your schoolwork. What you do in school can impact the rest of your life. For NaNo, there will always be next year.

With NaNo, it's not about winning every year, it's about putting in the effort when the time is right and getting to do it with a world full of support. If the time isn't right for you, then it's okay to admit it. You're still not losing your support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_is_might View Post
Gah, I'm having a difficult time just getting it started! I have several pages written, but I still can't get my story to take off.

I have my overall plot and characters all planned out. Just getting it going is the hard part.
My personal suggestion is to do something drastic. I read somewhere once that everything you're feeling as an author while writing a story is what your audience will be feeling while reading. As an example, if you're bored with your characters, your audience will be bored with them too.

If you can't feel a way to get the plot moving again, then pretend you're your own audience. What would you expect to happen next? Once you have a good idea, then write the exact opposite. Kill off a main character, introduce someone new, have the setting change completely. It doesn't matter what you write next, just be excited about it (even if it steps away from your original plot entirely).

This idea may work or it may fall completely flat--only way to know is to give it a try. If anything, the attempt will boost your word count and you can go back to your original plot later. Good luck!

Last edited by Inigo Imago; November 10th, 2011 at 6:31 pm.
Old November 10th, 2011, 6:51 pm
Second Year

Flashmemory; your health is so much more important than writing a novel in a month! Your health is invaluable and so please make sure you take care of yourself *sends you good heatlhy vibes* I hope you feel better soon!

------------

As for my NaNo update: I am about to crack 25,000 words - which is amazing! I dropped out at around 20k last year so I officially did better than last year (yes!) but I still have a long way to go. Almost halfway there! I took a look at my outlining and I should be able to write everything I outlined within those 50k and then some. Assuming I'll need 60k to get the outline done, the book will be 90k. Holy shiz.. I know for a fact that I wouldn't even have started if I knew I had to write 90 k :') It's daunting!

Old November 10th, 2011, 8:10 pm
Sixth Year

Thanks for the advice Inigo!! I'll definitely try that!

Pottermore: SnidgetCharm86
Old November 10th, 2011, 9:03 pm
Second Year

I've been so busy with writing papers, dealing with my old, dying laptop (but I finally got a new one this week, yay!) and daily chores, that I don't nearly have as many words as I would've liked to have by now. I'll just have to try really hard to make up for it in the next few weeks. (Too bad that there's still more papers to write... XD)

Wand: Larch, Unicorn Core, 10 3/4, Slightly Yielding
Old November 12th, 2011, 8:33 am
Malum Veneficus

Just hit 10k. Still behind, very behind actually, but I'm going to catch up. Yesterday, I reached something like a turning point in my story, which is why I found it a bit difficult to go on. Now, I'm well into it, and since it's not that difficult any more, I'll probably write another 2k today.

Thanks to my secret sigswitch maker, for the wonderful avatar and signature!

Sig/avatar pictures by Cassandra Austen.
Old November 14th, 2011, 10:20 pm
Second Year

I'm at a little over 30k, haven't written anything today but instead worked on my outline, working in some stuff that's important to the plot later on. If I had continued writing today, I would have written myself into a corner even though I would have followed my outline so I'm just making it easier for myself

Halfway through, now it's getting harder!

*sends good writing vibes to everyone*

Old November 18th, 2011, 2:29 pm
Suteki da ne

I dread to think what people are thinking if anyone's monitoring my internet use...I'm currently looking up sentencing for kidnap online, because I've made it part of my story, but I have no idea what people get for this- basically my character, before the story starts, was kidnapped for a couple of months by a guy who used to live next door to her, but got evicted because he was causing all sorts of hassle for her and her family. I don't know what would happen though- I think perhaps it was a little bit ambitious, because I can't carry on until I know what sort of sentencing he would get...

Quote:

Guidelines
Current Sentencing Practice Reference: B3-4
Circumstances Guideline sentence
1. Violence or firearm used, exacerbating features such as detention of victim over long period- More than 8 years’ imprisonment
2. Carefully planned abductions, victim used as hostage, or ransom money demanded-Seldom less than 8 years’ imprisonment
3. Scarcely kidnapping, perhaps the sequel to a family tiff or lovers’ dispute-Up to 18 months’ imprisonment

Hmm...it wasn't planned, it was a spur of the moment thing, but it wasn't a family tiff or a lovers' dispute either...I'm confused...

- Nobuo Uematsu

Last edited by Schlubalybub; November 18th, 2011 at 2:43 pm.
Old November 18th, 2011, 5:46 pm
Second Year

Quote:
I dread to think what people are thinking if anyone's monitoring my internet use...I'm currently looking up sentencing for kidnap online, because I've made it part of my story, but I have no idea what people get for this- basically my character, before the story starts, was kidnapped for a couple of months by a guy who used to live next door to her, but got evicted because he was causing all sorts of hassle for her and her family. I don't know what would happen though- I think perhaps it was a little bit ambitious, because I can't carry on until I know what sort of sentencing he would get...

Hmm...it wasn't planned, it was a spur of the moment thing, but it wasn't a family tiff or a lovers' dispute either...I'm confused...
Isn't there jurisdiction on that matter? I can't imagine that it never happened before.. Maybe you can look some cases up online that involve kidnapping?

Old November 18th, 2011, 6:59 pm
Third Year

Quote:
I don't know what would happen though- I think perhaps it was a little bit ambitious, because I can't carry on until I know what sort of sentencing he would get...
I say you just make up a number that sounds reasonable (5-10 years, perhaps?) and go with that. No need for such a detail to bog you down. If your story continues after he is released, you can always alter ages to be more in-line with the appropriate sentencing.

That's my two cents.

EDIT: If you want to pick a sentence and stick with it, you can easily alter the timeline during editing by writing in pardons, parole, out early on good behavior, denied appeals, etc.

Last edited by Inigo Imago; November 18th, 2011 at 7:05 pm.
Old November 19th, 2011, 10:56 pm
Second Year

I reached 40k today! I'm really excited, but also feel like someone wrenched my brain. I spent all day writing a 1300 word scene, because it's essential in the story and really important to the plot.. So I spent way too much time on getting it right, and even though it's still not how I want it, it's good enough to keep going with the story.

I'm finally starting to believe that I'll reach 50k by the end of the month. I have 9,700 words left to write, and 11 days to do it in. I guess that should work?

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Writer's Corner