Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Writer's Corner

NaNoWriMo 2011!

Old July 8th, 2011, 5:19 am
Third Year

NaNoWriMo 2011!

The time is almost upon us once again. National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) is around the corner and the countdown has begun.

For those of you who may be stepping out from under your shiny rock for the first time, NaNoWriMo is a writing challenge that takes place for the entire month of November. Each year, the goal is to write a complete novel of at least 50,000 words in 30 days or less. If interested, please take the time to step on over to the NaNoWriMo homepage to get the scoop and sign up.

I know several members here have been a participant for many years and I would love to get the juicy details of your successes and failures. For those planning to participate in 2011, please take a minute or two to share a bit about your novel (if you already know what you're going to write) or ask questions about how NaNo works. Brainstorming and plot bunnies are most welcome!

- Inigo

p.s. If your story includes zombies, I stand by my signature so you should probably keep a clear distance. Survive at all costs!

Thank you, COS, for the last 10 years. These forums will be greatly missed.
Sponsored Links
Old July 15th, 2011, 2:03 am
First Year

Re: NaNoWriMo 2011!

I tried last year but I just couldn't take off with my idea and barely got past 10,000. I just couldn't get into the story line I guess. Anyhow I am excited about it this year and am going to be a bit more prepared going into it this time. I have some ideas of what I want to write this year but nothing solid yet.

Old July 22nd, 2011, 2:29 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischievous View Post
I tried last year but I just couldn't take off with my idea and barely got past 10,000. I just couldn't get into the story line I guess. Anyhow I am excited about it this year and am going to be a bit more prepared going into it this time. I have some ideas of what I want to write this year but nothing solid yet.
That's exciting! I'm glad you're giving it another go. As I said before, this will be my third year in NaNoWriMo and I haven't yet "won" because of various time constraints and other matters. That doesn't stop me from participating each year. I figure, if I keep trying, eventually I'll write 50,000 in a month.

Old July 22nd, 2011, 5:59 pm
Malum Veneficus

I've participated in 2009 and 2010. First time over, I didn't pass 5k. I found out about NaNo a few days after November had started and I was writing half-heartedly, knowing I'll not reach the 50k on time. Last year it was much better, but still I'd barely reached the 20k. The story was not well-planned at all. I kept jumping from each scene to the other, without them feeling connected. I tried to 'shut up the editor inside', but that's still beyond me! And overall, November was quite a busy month for me last year, with DH 1 being released above all my school work; I didn't have much time for writing, in fact I didn't write anything the last ten days.

I'd like to participate this year, but I don't know what to write. I'm now working on last year's story, and I'm not leaving it until November (and I'm not starting it from the beginning again). I don't have anything else planned right now, but hopefully, I'll be able to think of something and plan it well before November starts.

Thanks to my secret sigswitch maker, for the wonderful avatar and signature!

Sig/avatar pictures by Cassandra Austen.
Old July 28th, 2011, 3:22 am
Third Year

I'll participate this year for the first time, after actually having some-kind-of-idea of what I wanted to write.

(Of course, I don't fit in the "Na" part of the NaNoWriMo, but I'll still try!)

Old July 28th, 2011, 6:54 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

Call it InNaNoWriMo (In for International)

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Old July 29th, 2011, 5:07 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by leah49 View Post
Call it InNaNoWriMo (In for International)
Pure win. Leah, I think you should send this to Chris Baty.

Old July 30th, 2011, 9:10 pm
Fourth Year

I'd love to be able to try this (although I always thought NaNoWriMo stood for National November Writing Month ) but I'm starting university in September so I probably won't have that much free time, plus I've struggled to write more than 8,000 words a month with my fanfic, I'd never be able to write 50K

Images taken from http://dft.ba/-2M6r
Do not anger the kitty!Avengers.

Learning to Live AgainOne shots
Old July 31st, 2011, 11:19 am
First Year

I've always planned to participate but never really got into it... Maybe I'll give it a shot this year.

Old July 31st, 2011, 7:12 pm
First Year

2009 was my first attemot at a NaNo and I flopped like a fish out of water!
2010 was better, I got about 15k, I had a lot of coursework to do so that took up most of my free time

2011 - I'm away on holiday for the first 2 weeks of the month *eek* so I could always attempt to churn out my NaNo on my iPhone as I queue for Forbidden Journey or wait in line for a picture with Mickey Mouse? I doubt I'll get to the 50k but I'm going to give it a try, even if it means handwriting non-stop for the 9 hour flight there and back!

Old August 4th, 2011, 3:56 am
First Year

This will be my 5th year. I won the first two years, and epically failed the last two years.

I'm going for it again, though!

I wanted to write a boarding school story (gee, wonder where I got that inspiration ) and I came up with an idea of a sort of social experiment mystery, kind of Lord of the Flies set in a boarding school in 1972.

I've got lots of ideas in place, and right now I'm working on my characters. I like to "cast" my characters with actors and pictures of people to give me a clear idea of what they look like/act like/talk like.

Thanks to GryffSolider for the awesome signature!
Proud Hufflepuff!
Old August 4th, 2011, 3:13 pm
Suteki da ne

So you can plan beforehand, you just have to write the actual novel in November?

We asked ourselves, "Can we really fight 24 hours?" And the answer was, "We will fight 8,760 hours!"
- Nobuo Uematsu

Old August 4th, 2011, 6:14 pm
First Year

Yes, you can do all the planning you want before it starts. Outlines, character development, plot ideas, anything. I like to have all my characters worked out and have a rough plot worked up before the month starts. During November, I just want to WRITE and not have to worry about what I'm naming this character, and oh no! how will this end. That sort of thing.

Thanks to GryffSolider for the awesome signature!
Proud Hufflepuff!
Old August 4th, 2011, 8:42 pm
First Year

I'll be participating for the first time this year. I'm still not sure what I'm going to write about, which is why I've just ordered the book "No plot, no problem" by Chris Baty

Old August 4th, 2011, 8:46 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raenne View Post
I'll be participating for the first time this year. I'm still not sure what I'm going to write about, which is why I've just ordered the book "No plot, no problem" by Chris Baty
His book is great! It's really helped me with writings outside of NaNo too!

Old August 4th, 2011, 9:51 pm
First Year

Saloca - I'm glad to hear that :-)

Old September 17th, 2011, 3:55 pm
Second Year

I have to admit I'd never heard about this before, but I'm definitely going to try this year, it sounds great. I usually have trouble writing enough words, but maybe if I try to be less of a perfectionist, I'll manage. It's worth a shot anyway.

Wand: Larch, Unicorn Core, 10 3/4, Slightly Yielding
Old September 17th, 2011, 5:20 pm
Second Year

I'm joining for the second time! Last year I managed to write 20,000 words on a story that didn't have a plot (quite an accomplishment if you ask me - considering I had no clue where the story was taking me) and I hope to do better this year. I'm quite certain I won't make it til 50k, but the motivation on NaNo is great and they motivate you to just write what you come up with, not worrying about structure or if this is something that fits in the book/story. They do great word wars/sprints on twitter that encourage you to write and put certain (possibly ridiculous) elements in your story. I somehow had to incorporate a purple octopus in mine..

I'm not sure if I will pick up last year's story again or if I will work on my 'new' story that I've been researching for in the past weeks. We'll see I'll make sure to check this topic though, we can encourage eachother!

Old September 17th, 2011, 6:53 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvngbooks View Post
I'm joining for the second time! Last year I managed to write 20,000 words on a story that didn't have a plot (quite an accomplishment if you ask me - considering I had no clue where the story was taking me) and I hope to do better this year. I'm quite certain I won't make it til 50k, but the motivation on NaNo is great and they motivate you to just write what you come up with, not worrying about structure or if this is something that fits in the book/story. They do great word wars/sprints on twitter that encourage you to write and put certain (possibly ridiculous) elements in your story. I somehow had to incorporate a purple octopus in mine..

I'm not sure if I will pick up last year's story again or if I will work on my 'new' story that I've been researching for in the past weeks. We'll see I'll make sure to check this topic though, we can encourage eachother!
I'll be sure to join in with those wars/sprints on Twitter as well then, that sounds hilarious!

And yes, we should definitely encourage each other on here, that could be a great way to motivate ourselves to get more words. (I'm assuming this, since I've never actually tried this before.)

Wand: Larch, Unicorn Core, 10 3/4, Slightly Yielding
Old September 17th, 2011, 7:05 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

I didn't realize how close it is. A little over a month away. Gotta get my idea going.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Writer's Corner