Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion

Stephenie Meyers' The Host

Old May 3rd, 2011, 7:13 pm
Registered Animagus

Stephenie Meyers' The Host

http://www.deadline.com/2011/05/twil...ronan-to-star/

Quote:
Saoirse Ronan will be the leading star, playing Melanie Stryder, one of the last humans putting up a fight against an alien species called Souls. These parasites invade human bodies, fuse to each person's consciousness and systematically erase their personalities. Melanie is captured by the aliens and implanted by a Soul called Wanderer, something of a legend because of all of the "hosts" she has attached to on numerous planets. Wanderer's goal is to get Melanie to give up the remaining pockets of humans, but instead the alien finds Melanie to be unique in her unwillingness to surrender her consciousness. Wanderer is so overwhelmed by Melanie's memories and feelings, the alien is driven to reconnect with Melanie's old life.
I totally didn't know was going to be a movie. The book by Stephenie Meyers is, in my opinion, her best novel. It is better and more thrilling than the Twilight Saga.

Saoirse Ronan is such a brilliant and inspiring choice as Melanie. She was great in City of Bones.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1519680/

Old May 7th, 2011, 4:51 am
Mrs Gilbert Grape

Re: Stephenie Meyers' The Host

Oh my goodness, they're actually making this into a movie?

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old May 30th, 2011, 8:22 pm
Second Year

Re: Stephenie Meyers' The Host (2012)

Oh my goodness, I didn't know this was going to be a movie either!
This kind of makes me happy, because this book showed SO much more potential than the Twilight saga, in my opinion. But the fact that she wrote it will probably attract a lot of Twiligh fans anyway. I'm not particularly one of those, but I liked The Host a LOT better, so I'm definitely going to look into seeing this.

Old July 1st, 2011, 4:43 am
Third Year

I agree, The Host is actually well written and an enjoyable story, so it should probably make for a good movie. I don't know how well it will do, but I'll probably see it just because I read the book.

Hufflepuff Pride
Old October 10th, 2011, 10:46 pm
Registered Animagus

There's been rumors over the web on IMDB and Facebook about Emma Watson possibly being cast in this movie. But just take this as a rumor for now.

https://www.facebook.com/note.php?no...07691569280807

Old November 1st, 2011, 10:21 pm
First Year

What?? How have I not heard about this being made into a movie?? That's so cool though! Yeah Saoirse Ronan would be a great choice! I loved her in The Lovely Bones and Hanna!

sig by DarkLord7

If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.
~Sirius Black

Pottermore:
CauldronPixie6904
Hufflepuff
Wand-black walnut, phoenix feather core, 10 3/4 inches, hard flexibility
Old April 2nd, 2013, 6:26 pm
Rocket Scientist

Re: Stephenie Meyers' The Host (March 29th 2013)

I saw this over the weekend and I really enjoyed it. The characters lacked some motivation in parts but overall i enjoyed the world created in the movie and the actors. I haven't read the book but I'm really curious about it now and definitely want to check it out.

*Sig image compliments of cybobbie
Old April 3rd, 2013, 4:45 am
Mrs Gilbert Grape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacecadet View Post
I saw this over the weekend and I really enjoyed it. The characters lacked some motivation in parts but overall i enjoyed the world created in the movie and the actors. I haven't read the book but I'm really curious about it now and definitely want to check it out.
In the book there is a lot of internal conflict with Wanda and Melanie, so how did that work in the film?

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old April 3rd, 2013, 1:23 pm
Rocket Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhanax315 View Post
In the book there is a lot of internal conflict with Wanda and Melanie, so how did that work in the film?
It was actually done really well. Wanda spoke through the actress and Melanie spoke through voice overs. At times the voice overs became a little humorous. I'm not sure if it was meant to be but it worked well. As some one who hadn't read the book it was easy to see the conflict brewing and their were times of uncontrolled movement to symbolize Melanie asserting control. Saoirse Ronan did an excellent job.

Old April 5th, 2013, 2:59 am
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeť & Scrambled Eggs

Roger Ebert's last review was on this movie: link to it

He didn't seem to like it all that well, but he gave it a decent review still.

RIP Roger, you'll be missed .

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Old April 5th, 2013, 2:12 pm
Rocket Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkesfan1 View Post
Roger Ebert's last review was on this movie: link to it

He didn't seem to like it all that well, but he gave it a decent review still.

RIP Roger, you'll be missed .
There's no denying there were some plot holes and some hand waving in this movie, similar to some of what went on to twilight. But even though I hadn't read the book I still followed the story and wasn't confused at all. Where the issue came in is you don't have a lot of solid footing for the relationships. Melanie's relationship with Jared was done all in flashbacks and Wanda's relationship with Ian despite some flirting grew exceedingly fast. There wasn't a great explanation as to why he went from hating Wanda to falling for her. It was like someone flipped a switch and he was hooked on her.

That aside I still enjoyed the story, the world created and the acting.

So sad to hear this was the last film Roger reviewed RIP. You will be missed.

Old April 6th, 2013, 1:45 am
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeť & Scrambled Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacecadet View Post
There's no denying there were some plot holes and some hand waving in this movie, similar to some of what went on to twilight. But even though I hadn't read the book I still followed the story and wasn't confused at all. Where the issue came in is you don't have a lot of solid footing for the relationships. Melanie's relationship with Jared was done all in flashbacks and Wanda's relationship with Ian despite some flirting grew exceedingly fast. There wasn't a great explanation as to why he went from hating Wanda to falling for her. It was like someone flipped a switch and he was hooked on her.

That aside I still enjoyed the story, the world created and the acting.

So sad to hear this was the last film Roger reviewed RIP. You will be missed.
Ah. Haven't read the book either. Might check it out from the library though for the heck of it, and once it comes out on dvd, I'll check it out as well. Good to see that you enjoyed it though , flaws and all.

Definitely. He was such a good reviewer, didn't always agree with him review wise, but I liked how he took the time to explain why he didn't like the film overall.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Old April 23rd, 2013, 8:38 pm
Registered Animagus

The Host - 8/10

Wow, I am totally shocked. I actually loved the movie! The story was great, much easier to follow than the book, even though I do like the book. The acting was great, especially with Saoirse Ronan (who was amazing in her role!) and the other main actors. There was some good dialogue, and a bit of iffy dialogue here and there.

However, I wish there was a bit more action. The villain isn't as menacing as she is in the book, she is almost tame. Defeating her was a bit too easy. Also, there was probably a bit too much romance and a bit too much kissing that it made it silly. I understand what they were doing, and the end factor was okay, but getting there was a bit odd. But that is the story and Stephenie Meyer for you.

One of my favorite parts about the book and the movie as well is the ending scene, and how it introduces the possibility -- and probability -- of a sequel. How it fleshes out into more than just the little story and brings more to it.

I'll definitely watch it again.

Old June 5th, 2013, 1:41 pm
Rocket Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post

However, I wish there was a bit more action. The villain isn't as menacing as she is in the book, she is almost tame. Defeating her was a bit too easy. Also, there was probably a bit too much romance and a bit too much kissing that it made it silly. I understand what they were doing, and the end factor was okay, but getting there was a bit odd. But that is the story and Stephenie Meyer for you.
Yeah I agree there definitely could have been more action. After the opening sequence I think there was only one other actiony scene. I also wish the villain was more menacing. They didn't seem nearly as bad/evil as they could have been. And at times yes the romance was a bit cheesy but all in all cute.

Old August 13th, 2014, 7:37 pm
First Year

Iiiiiii couldn't even give it 30 minutes.