Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Music (Entertainment)

Eurovision 2011

View Poll Results: Which are your favourite entries for Eurovision 2011?
Albania 0 0%
Armenia 0 0%
Austria 0 0%
Azerbaijan 0 0%
Belarus 0 0%
Belgium 0 0%
Bosnia and Herzegovina 1 10.00%
Bulgaria 0 0%
Croatia 0 0%
Cyprus 2 20.00%
Denmark 1 10.00%
Estonia 0 0%
FYR Macedonia 0 0%
Finland 2 20.00%
France 0 0%
Georgia 0 0%
Germany 1 10.00%
Greece 0 0%
Hungary 0 0%
Iceland 3 30.00%
Ireland 1 10.00%
Israel 0 0%
Italy 1 10.00%
Latvia 0 0%
Lithuania 0 0%
Malta 1 10.00%
Moldova 2 20.00%
Norway 0 0%
Poland 0 0%
Portugal 0 0%
Romania 2 20.00%
Russia 0 0%
San Marino 0 0%
Serbia 0 0%
Slovakia 0 0%
Slovenia 0 0%
Spain 0 0%
Sweden 0 0%
Switzerland 0 0%
The Netherlands 1 10.00%
Turkey 0 0%
Ukraine 0 0%
United Kingdom 3 30.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old April 15th, 2011, 12:14 pm
HighFunctioning Sociopath

Eurovision 2011

Yes, that time of year is nearly upon us! The ever-popular annual European song competition/kitschfest will soon be raising its head again. The final of this year's contest is on May 14th in Düsseldorf.

You can watch previews of the songs on the official Eurovision website or the BBC's Eurovision playlist on YouTube (which in my experience sticks less).

This is a thread where you can vote for your favourite entries, discuss the songs, videos, dance routines and costumes and talk about wider Eurovision issues (e.g. the voting system, the best tactics for winning, is winning good for the artist and/or their country or a bit of a poisoned chalice?). A thread for all things Eurovision!

Last edited by Melaszka; April 15th, 2011 at 1:04 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old April 15th, 2011, 12:21 pm
Embroidered by imaginatio

Re: Eurovision 2011

I just listened to the Dutch entry, could be worse. Normally the three guys sing in Dutch and it's so not my thing because it all sounds the same.

"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."

Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer
Old April 15th, 2011, 1:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post
I just listened to the Dutch entry, could be worse.
Yes, I quite like it.

I think a lot of the Western European countries have really raised their game this year. I think the UK have got one of their strongest entries for years - it's not what I'd normally listen to (very 90s boyband, with identikit boyband vocals, where I prefer more individual, natural sounding voices), but it's a catchy, quite rousing song and I do feel that the UK are (at last!) starting to take Eurovision seriously and entering what they think is a good song, not a song they think of as stereotypically Eurovision.

Quote:
Normally the three guys sing in Dutch
It upsets me generally that so many of the entries are sung in English. I can see why they do it, because English language entries do seem to attract more votes, but I really like entries that have a strong flavour of the country that produced them, i.e. (a) sung in (one of) the native language(s) (b) drawing on the traditional music of that country, not just generic massmarket pop.

Old April 15th, 2011, 1:18 pm
Embroidered by imaginatio

Quote:
It upsets me generally that so many of the entries are sung in English. I can see why they do it, because English language entries do seem to attract more votes, but I really like entries that have a strong flavour of the country that produced them, i.e. (a) sung in (one of) the native language(s) (b) drawing on the traditional music of that country, not just generic massmarket pop.
True, in the Dutch case however for me it's just a sound I absolutely don't like so I prefer English especially with this song. If it was another artist I could prefer Dutch but these guys have what we call 'palingsound' which is awful.

"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."

Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer
Old April 15th, 2011, 1:23 pm
She Who Walks Behind

I cannot express how much I despise the German entry, mostly because of how Lena got the "job".

I'll be very happy if the people of this universe didn't vote for us.

I haven't heared the other songs yet. I should start now, as I don't have a TV and probably won't be able to see the spectacle live.

Edit:

Ok started with...

You know you want to read it:    

Iceland: OMG sooo good. Love it.

Netherlands: I really like it. It somehow reminds me of Sunrise Avenue. But still so good, I don't mind listening to it all day long.

UK: BLUEEEEE *fangirl squeeeeeeeeee* ... But as much as I love you, guys. I like the Dutch song better. Sorry.

Romania: Catchy tune and I like it as well.

The Bottom:

Russia: I don't know, I don't know. Nothing appealing there.
Sweden: OMG who ever wrote that song...

Should finish listening to all and then make my comments.

The End of the Dream.

Last edited by Tenshi; April 15th, 2011 at 2:05 pm.
Old April 15th, 2011, 1:50 pm
Knower of things

Oooh someone got here before me this year I think I've set up this thread the last few years. To be honest my feelings on the Eurovision are quite mixed, back in the day before public voting/bloc voting I loved it, despite the fact it was well <i>twee</twee>.

I apologise in advance for the irish entry, yes we're sending Jedward with a disturbingly catchy number. I've not heard many other entries besides ours and the UK's one.

Old April 15th, 2011, 4:37 pm

Comments on what I've heard so far:    

Albania - Intro sounds a bit like the theme to Midsomer Murders. Another one with an awkward bridge between the verse and chorus, but quite a rousing power ballad. Singer has a great voice (in a Bonnie Tyler sort of way), but alarming coloured hair. If this does well, I think it will be down to the singer, rather than the material, but I think it's got a fighting chance.
Armenia - doesn't do much for me. trying a bit too hard to fit the identikit Eurovision formula.
Azerbaijan - Nice. Sweet. A bit simplistic and lacking weight (even by Eurovision standards). Don't think it will win, but it's going to do respectably.
Belgium - I love this! An a capella beatbox group doing a sort of 40s retro kind of song. Very clever. Not sure how well it will do, though - beatboxing ought to give them a contemporary edge, but that's totally cancelled out by the very retro material and they also look quite middle-aged, which could count against them.
Finland - Acoustic singer-songwriter. Not unpleasant, but the lyrics are a bit overearnest and it doesn't excite me. I don't think this is going to trouble the top of the leaderboard.
France - Classical crossover. Fabulous voice. I can see why this is so strongly tipped by the bookies and it is probably one of the better written songs in the contest, but it's really not my sort of thing (and not helped by the fact that I keep misreading the title ("Sognu") as "Snog".) The fact that it's so different from the other entries could boost its chances.
Germany - I quite like this. It's jazzy, loungey and a bit quirky. Don't think she's going to do the double, but it's another good, solid entry.
Greece - song's not bad, but I think even I could do a better rap than that.
Hungary - Catchy techno/power ballad. Diva with attitude. Another one that's highly tipped by the bookies, but I have a feeling it could be one of those ones like "Tomero" and "Moja Stikla", which fail to win Eurovision but are a big club hit in Europe that summer. Definitely a strong contender, though.
Ireland - catchy, but a bit of a novelty song and doesn't really develop. Also, not sure how well they'll do live. Don't think it stands any chance of winning, but it's a respectable entry.
Malta - Ah, bless! A bit 80s, but it's a real feelgood, "I am what I am and everyone should celebrate difference and love each other" kind of song which manages to sound genuine and heartfelt, not just a cynical ploy to corner the gay vote. Nice beat. Love it! Not a winner, but a good, solid entry.
Poland - Song's OK, but unmemorable and doesn't excite me at all, pretty staple Eurovision fare.
Romania - very strong entry. Reminds me a bit of the Beatles and the guy has a lovely voice. Possible winner.
Russia - Sounds like a Right Said Fred B-side. I don't rate either the song or the singer very much, but Russia often field established stars with an existent fanbase in the ex-USSR (a good tactic), so I imagine it will get votes. Nul points from me, though.
Serbia - great voice but a fairly forgettable song. Aiming for a 1960s feel. A bit of a Duffy wannabe.
Slovenia - a passionate, melodramatic torch song. Singer has a fabulous voice. A friend of mine who has correctly guessed the Eurovision winner 5 years out of the last 7 highly rates this. I'm not so sure. This is typical Eurovision fare and, judging on past years, this kind of song can go either way.
Sweden - very odd. Total disconnect between chorus and verse and it kind of sounds like an odd juxtaposition of a rugby song sung over a techno beat. I think it's awful, but it's got that annoying catchiness about it which means it could stick in people's heads, so I wouldn't discount its chances.
Turkey - very, very listenable, even though it's somewhat oversimilar to "Hello, I Love you" by The Doors. I like the counterintuitive, cross-cultural arrangement, with the hard(ish) rock underscored by romantic violins and slightly Middle Eastern-y keyboards. Could score well.

NB This is just an opinion and I'm always way off in my guesses of what is going to do well, anyway.

Last edited by Melaszka; April 16th, 2011 at 4:07 pm. Reason: Added some more and changed to alphabetical order
Old April 17th, 2011, 3:38 am
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Bottom of the pile for the UK again.

Old April 17th, 2011, 5:47 am
First Year

Bosnia and Herzegovina is my favorite this year, I love the song and I already had a Dino Merlin song without even realizing at first. No other entry sparks my interest, but I know I'm super picky. Also, I'll go ahead and say I wish Latvia had picked Banjo Laura.

Old April 17th, 2011, 12:23 pm
Eldest Gruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melaszka View Post
While I see the "need" for getting votes (and as such singing in English) I agree. I enjoyed when all countries where forced to sing in their languages and actually believe it suits a European contest better to reflect on (and as such get used to) the different heritages than on most common likings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenshi View Post
I cannot express how much I despise the German entry, mostly because of how Lena got the "job".
I respect Raab and his work a lot but still don't get how he could invent this. I believe Lena's entry is solid enough and most likely better than many Germany had over the last decades, but I also think many won't vote for her already because it's unusual to do it twice. And that's only fair.

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Old April 17th, 2011, 1:38 pm
She Who Walks Behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by gertiekeddle View Post
I respect Raab and his work a lot but still don't get how he could invent this. I believe Lena's entry is solid enough and most likely better than many Germany had over the last decades, but I also think many won't vote for her already because it's unusual to do it twice. And that's only fair.
I don't even think the song is good. It's boring, there's nothing special about it. IMO the only reason she won last year is because of her naivity, but she can't fool the people twice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liselle View Post
Oooh someone got here before me this year I think I've set up this thread the last few years. To be honest my feelings on the Eurovision are quite mixed, back in the day before public voting/bloc voting I loved it, despite the fact it was well <i>twee</twee>.

I apologise in advance for the irish entry, yes we're sending Jedward with a disturbingly catchy number. I've not heard many other entries besides ours and the UK's one.
Pffft you're not supposed to vote for your own country.

The End of the Dream.

Last edited by Tenshi; April 17th, 2011 at 1:43 pm.
Old April 27th, 2011, 4:48 pm

Quote:
I believe Lena's entry is solid enough and most likely better than many Germany had over the last decades, but I also think many won't vote for her already because it's unusual to do it twice. And that's only fair.
It's not that unusual for a singer to enter Eurovision more than once (e.g. Johnny Logan, who has won twice for Ireland, and other singers, e.g. Carola for Sweden, Dana International for Israel, Ich Troje for Poland have entered in more than one year). It's less usual to represent the same country in two consecutive years, but not totally unprecedented (the first winner, Lys Assia, represented Switzerland in 1957 and 1958 after winning it for them in 1956, although the contest was, of course, a very different beast in those days). I'll stop being a Euronerd now.

Old April 27th, 2011, 5:53 pm
The Next Great Adventurer

Oh, is it that time of year already?

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless

Last edited by Wab; April 27th, 2011 at 5:56 pm.
Old April 27th, 2011, 7:34 pm
Eldest Gruff

Quote:
It's not that unusual for a singer to enter Eurovision more than once (e.g. Johnny Logan, who has won twice for Ireland, and other singers, e.g. Carola for Sweden, Dana International for Israel, Ich Troje for Poland have entered in more than one year). It's less usual to represent the same country in two consecutive years, but not totally unprecedented (the first winner, Lys Assia, represented Switzerland in 1957 and 1958 after winning it for them in 1956, although the contest was, of course, a very different beast in those days). I'll stop being a Euronerd now.
True actually. Just to represent your country consecutive when you've already one once looks a wee bit odd to me. Not so much for the sake of it, but because I believe not all people will check on the music.

Harry Dresden.
Old April 27th, 2011, 7:39 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

I'll pick Germany again. It's a good song.

Old April 27th, 2011, 7:44 pm
Eldest Gruff

Hey, one vote.

It's actually difficult for me to decide. I like the Grand Prix (pffft: Eurovision) since I grew up with it, but the music represented is rather far away from what I listen to usually (and was always actually). On the other hand I make music myself and so mostly get some favourite song even in styles I usually don't like, but I've no absolut favourite yet this year. I enjoy the Finnish entry, but don't think it will have much winning chances.

Harry Dresden.
Old May 10th, 2011, 4:30 pm

An article about memorable moments of past Eurovisions.

Quote:
I like the Grand Prix (pffft: Eurovision) since I grew up with it, but the music represented is rather far away from what I listen to usually (and was always actually).
No, Eurovision music isn't close to my regular listening habits, either (although I would argue that there is increasingly no such thing as "typical Eurovision music" - in recent years, many countries have won by throwing out their preconceptions of what is "typical Eurovision" and opting for something a bit different. And it's usually a bad, bad idea to try to slavishly copy whatever won last year, although every year at least one country tries it).

For me, it's more about the spectacle, the fact that I can gossip about it with my friends (many of whom are really into it, too) and just the fact it's a competition - you get all the good bits of sport (being able to support a team, the excitement and tension of waiting to see who's going to win), without the boring bit of having to watch sweaty people running round a field with a ball for 90+ minutes.

Quote:
On the other hand I make music myself and so mostly get some favourite song even in styles I usually don't like, but I've no absolut favourite yet this year. I enjoy the Finnish entry, but don't think it will have much winning chances.
My favourites are probably Cyprus, Malta and the UK (not patriotic bias - I usually hate our entry), but I will be amazed if Cyprus even makes the final, I'm not expecting Malta to do hugely well and I think the UK will finish in the top 5 but not win.

Last edited by Melaszka; May 10th, 2011 at 5:57 pm. Reason: I am an idiot
Old May 10th, 2011, 6:54 pm
Second Year

Hmmm, I'm not normally the biggest fan of Eurovision, and I don't think that there's much here to make me change my mind. I do like the opening 10 seconds of so of Lithuania's entry. Sweden's entry could have been written in the 80s and that's probably where it should have stayed, but there is something strangely compelling about it despite its awfulness. A bit like most 80s pop then really. I have voted for Romania, as it reminds me a bit of the bad Britpop I used to listen to when I was growing up.

Old May 10th, 2011, 7:24 pm
She Who Walks Behind

LOL The composer of "Taken by a stranger" by Lena is not amused about how she's performing his song. He doesn't like the full body condoms that are dancing in the background. I haven't seen her perform yet, but I guess that it probably does look ridiculous.

The End of the Dream.
Old May 10th, 2011, 8:05 pm
Eldest Gruff

Quote:
No, Eurovision music isn't close to my regular listening habits, either (although I would argue that there is increasingly no such thing as "typical Eurovision music" - in recent years, many countries have won by throwing out their preconceptions of what is "typical Eurovision" and opting for something a bit different. And it's usually a bad, bad idea to try to slavishly copy whatever won last year, although every year at least one country tries it).
I don't know if that's similar in other countries, but I've the feeling Eurovision actually got a lot more popularity back when music styles began to became broader again too. I don't think Lordi eg won for fun purpose only. In my country it's also for a good part the engagement of Raab (the guy who sponsors Lena) to get this contest back to 'trendy'.

All in all I've the feeling in my neck of the woods this was a major event when I was a kid (and the years before), then got a bit stuck from roughly 1995-2005, and now is more accepted throughout the different generations than it was for a long time. Likely many like the event more than music here too - and it's somehow more fun to "judge" upon the entries when the differ so much I think. Every contest you get quite everything from amazing entry to something that you wished to never have seen performed live.

Harry Dresden.
Closed Thread
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Music (Entertainment)