Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion

The Hunger games

Old December 12th, 2013, 3:36 pm
Seventh Year

Re: The Hunger games

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemusLupinFan View Post
Spoiler: show
I did suspect that Phillip Seymor Hoffman's character (whose name I can't recall), the head of the games, was on the side of the tributes rather than president. He seemed to be trying hard to tell the president exactly what he wanted to hear. And when he left the room before Katniss shoots the spear toward the forcefield, that really solidified it for me. Even so, I still enjoyed the progression of the story and the struggle of the tributes in the arena. I also very much liked the solidarity shared by the people of the districts, and the scene where the tributes hold hands. You really feel like there is somehow hope despite the overwhelming odds.
The moment I would have thought movie fans (who hadn't read the books) would have figured Pultarch was on Katniss's side was when they were dancing and he was talking to her. It's interesting that it wasn't as obvious as I thought it was.

Old December 12th, 2013, 10:25 pm
Member of the Order

Re: The Hunger games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddess_Clio View Post
The moment I would have thought movie fans (who hadn't read the books) would have figured Pultarch was on Katniss's side was when they were dancing and he was talking to her. It's interesting that it wasn't as obvious as I thought it was.
No, that wasn't obvious. And I preferred that to what was in the book. And therein is my criticism at the book. Whether Katniss thought that Plutarch was playing some sort of mindgame with her or not...she could have easily said something very inappropriate and might have let the cat out of the bag to...anyone, even though this was before the announcement of the Quelling. After that announcement, recall that Haymitch said that the tributes are angry and are saying anything to stop the games. And even if she kept that to herself, she had to be plausibly "in the game." And the best way for that is to keep her ignorant.

Just one of those things about the script that felt more logically consistent than the book.

All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

---Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Million Dollar Baby)
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion