Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion

The Hunger games

Old April 6th, 2011, 12:48 am
BANNED... No really they are...

Re: Hunger games (2012)

Quote:
Originally Posted by katana View Post
I'm having a hard time seeing any of the three lead actors in these roles. I'll have to wait and see them in character I guess.
Same here. In fact, when I first read the news of the casting, I was confused. I kept thinking that Josh was for Gale and Liam for Peeta, but that still doesn't make any sense to me. As for Lawrence...well, I was extremely surprised to learn that she's only twenty! When I first saw her I could've sworn she was at least 25. I don't get it. I'm hoping it'll make sense eventually.

ALL HAIL THE PIXIE QUEEN TINKIE!!
Mave, RN.
Winner of Happiest Hoggie Award (2011).
Sponsored Links
Old April 6th, 2011, 4:53 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHPFAN View Post
As for Lawrence...well, I was extremely surprised to learn that she's only twenty! When I first saw her I could've sworn she was at least 25. I don't get it. I'm hoping it'll make sense eventually.
This is like the biggest problem I have with the casting so far, just the fact that Lawrence looks about five years older than she actually is. I think part of that perception stems from my current image I have of her in my head, and that's how she appeared during this past awards season. She was all dolled up for the most part, especially at the Oscars, and that would make any person look slightly older. I've seen stills and stuff from Winter's Bone, when she is appears to be au naturel, and she looks considerably younger.

Oscars:
Spoiler: show

Winter's Bone:

She's quite beautiful either way.

Old April 6th, 2011, 4:57 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHPFAN View Post
As for Lawrence...well, I was extremely surprised to learn that she's only twenty! When I first saw her I could've sworn she was at least 25.
right? it bothers me how everyone looks older. katniss and peeta are 16 and gale is supposed to be 18 i believe. if their goal is to bump up the ages to 18 and up...well idk. i think their age is a large part of the appeal of the story as well as what makes the games so much more outrageous

Old April 7th, 2011, 1:06 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboywholived8 View Post
Winter's Bone:

Wow, she really looks younger in the Winter's Bone pic. How long ago was that filmed? I think Jennifer could pass for sixteen going by that pic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesilentcat View Post
right? it bothers me how everyone looks older. katniss and peeta are 16 and gale is supposed to be 18 i believe. if their goal is to bump up the ages to 18 and up...well idk. i think their age is a large part of the appeal of the story as well as what makes the games so much more outrageous
I agree, I think one of the things that hit hardest in the books was that these are kids being sent to murder and die. I was hoping for a cast that was close in age to the characters. But, if the actors can act and can pass for teenagers, I'll be happy.

I don't really know much about the two guys who've been cast, but just going by the article and pics, I think Liam Hemsworth has the tough-guy look that Gale needs.

Josh Hutcherson seems to have plenty of acting experience, and I think with his hair done, he could be Peeta.

I really hope the movie isn't going to overdo it on the love triangle aspect, but I can imagine they're going to milk that angle for all it's worth.

Pic by julvett at deviantart http://julvett.deviantart.com/gallery/2984632
"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and she’s trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.
Old April 7th, 2011, 1:27 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurryDice View Post
Wow, she really looks younger in the Winter's Bone pic. How long ago was that filmed? I think Jennifer could pass for sixteen going by that pic.

I really hope the movie isn't going to overdo it on the love triangle aspect, but I can imagine they're going to milk that angle for all it's worth.
Hm...probably between 1.5 to two years ago, maybe sooner.

Oh man, I truly hope that isn't the case with the whole "love triangle" thing. That could really make or break these movies for me. The reason I loved the books so much is because of the characters and the unique situations the author put them in...not because of the super juicy romantic undertones.

Old April 7th, 2011, 2:15 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
This is like the biggest problem I have with the casting so far, just the fact that Lawrence looks about five years older than she actually is. I think part of that perception stems from my current image I have of her in my head, and that's how she appeared during this past awards season. She was all dolled up for the most part, especially at the Oscars, and that would make any person look slightly older. I've seen stills and stuff from Winter's Bone, when she is appears to be au naturel, and she looks considerably younger.

Oscars:

Winter's Bone:

Thank you for the pics. My only impression of her was what I saw during the awards season and she definitely looked older than 20, more late twenties if anything. In that winter's bone picture she looks much more katniss' age. Hopefully that is how they will make her up for the film.

Quote:
Hm...probably between 1.5 to two years ago, maybe sooner.

Oh man, I truly hope that isn't the case with the whole "love triangle" thing. That could really make or break these movies for me. The reason I loved the books so much is because of the characters and the unique situations the author put them in...not because of the super juicy romantic undertones.
I honestly hope they don't play that up either although given twilight's success I can already see the media emphasizing that with "team gale" and "team peeta" :lol. It is really the core story of survival and rebellion against an oppressive regime that I found so compelling. The love story was really just an aside if anything.

I found these photoshopped images of the 3 leads. I am still reeling from the unexpected casting and I still can't get used to Josh with the blond hair photoshopped, but these pics actually don't look too far off.

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/999...rgamestrio.jpg

Old April 7th, 2011, 2:50 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix88 View Post
I honestly hope they don't play that up either although given twilight's success I can already see the media emphasizing that with "team gale" and "team peeta" :lol. It is really the core story of survival and rebellion against an oppressive regime that I found so compelling. The love story was really just an aside if anything.

I found these photoshopped images of the 3 leads. I am still reeling from the unexpected casting and I still can't get used to Josh with the blond hair photoshopped, but these pics actually don't look too far off.

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/999...rgamestrio.jpg
I totally agree with what you said. You put it a lot more eloquently than I did...my brain just is not functioning correctly tonight!

I saw those pics yesterday. Josh looks so strange! I don't think Peeta has to have bleach-blond hair and piercing blue eyes. It's not convincing at all. But the other two don't look too bad.

And is it just me, or does Josh look like a mini-Elijah Wood?

Old April 7th, 2011, 6:50 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
I totally agree with what you said. You put it a lot more eloquently than I did...my brain just is not functioning correctly tonight!

I saw those pics yesterday. Josh looks so strange! I don't think Peeta has to have bleach-blond hair and piercing blue eyes. It's not convincing at all. But the other two don't look too bad.

And is it just me, or does Josh look like a mini-Elijah Wood?
Yes, he does look like Elijah wood :lol. I was reading thru some of the imdb posts and a few of them somehow got their hands on a draft of the script. Supposedly gale's role is significantly expanded and they even have him sneaking on the train that takes katniss to the Capitol! (groans) it looks like they are definitely playing up the love triangle. The bread scene was apparently "butchered" but I don't see how if they just stuck to the book.

http://www.foreveryoungadult.com/201...-games-script/

Old April 7th, 2011, 4:37 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Yes, he does look like Elijah wood :lol. I was reading thru some of the imdb posts and a few of them somehow got their hands on a draft of the script. Supposedly gale's role is significantly expanded and they even have him sneaking on the train that takes katniss to the Capitol! (groans) it looks like they are definitely playing up the love triangle. The bread scene was apparently "butchered" but I don't see how if they just stuck to the book.

I saw this yesterday on another movie forum and I was so upset! I sincerely hope this is an early draft or something.

Old April 7th, 2011, 5:07 pm
Too MAGENTA for a UT

Quote:
It is really the core story of survival and rebellion against an oppressive regime that I found so compelling. The love story was really just an aside if anything.
My thoughts exactly.

Quote:
I was reading thru some of the imdb posts and a few of them somehow got their hands on a draft of the script. Supposedly gale's role is significantly expanded and they even have him sneaking on the train that takes katniss to the Capitol! (groans) it looks like they are definitely playing up the love triangle. The bread scene was apparently "butchered" but I don't see how if they just stuck to the book.

Assuming that the script is legit...

Apparently it's been changed so that Katniss and Peeta have been trading for years, ie - a loaf of bread for a squirrel. There is no pivotal "boy with the bread" scene. The Mockingjay pin is also given to Katniss by someone other than Madge; Mrs. Everdeen gives it to Prim, who then passes it onto Katniss after she has volunteered.

the tiniest mite packs the mightiest sting.

Old April 7th, 2011, 7:18 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Druid View Post

Apparently it's been changed so that Katniss and Peeta have been trading for years, ie - a loaf of bread for a squirrel. There is no pivotal "boy with the bread" scene. The Mockingjay pin is also given to Katniss by someone other than Madge; Mrs. Everdeen gives it to Prim, who then passes it onto Katniss after she has volunteered.
I actually don't mind having Prim give the pin to Katniss because Madge wasn't a pivotal part of the story or anything. So I guess they wrote her character out completely? Whatever. But there's no reason why they need to change the Peeta/Katniss backstory. That's one of the best "sweet" moments of the series and it makes the fact that they both went to the Hunger Games a lot more interesting and intense. Blagh.

Old April 8th, 2011, 4:45 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Druid View Post
My thoughts exactly.

Assuming that the script is legit...

Oh no! So that is what they meant by butchered. This is just awful. The whole boy with the bread scene was riveting. That was what started my whole emotional attachment to the character of peeta and was one of my favorite scenes in the book. The sacrifice he made even at
that age for her was just so moving. Why in the world would they want to change something so well written?

Old April 10th, 2011, 4:06 am
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

Catching up because I had no idea this thread existed. Was posting my movie thoughts in the book thread. Oops!

Regarding the casting - for me I can get past hair and eye color - it's more physical shape/conditions the parts require. Like Gale is supposed to be strong and stealth, but also hungry. And same for Katniss. Peeta is supposed to be fairly well fed and strong. I'm not really seeing that in the casting of Josh. I mean I guess he could build some muscle, but he just seems like a naturally small guy. I dunno. Maybe they're going for the artist angle with him more than the hurl sacks of flour around image I have from the book.

Old April 10th, 2011, 5:25 am
First Year

I think I would've been more okay with Josh if the casting for katniss was also passable for 16-18, but now he looks like her little neighbor boy

Old April 10th, 2011, 6:42 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesilentcat View Post
I think I would've been more okay with Josh if the casting for katniss was also passable for 16-18, but now he looks like her little neighbor boy
I completely agree. I would have been fine with Josh as peeta if they picked someone younger like hailee or more petite. With jennifer, he looks more like her younger brother. I just can't see any physical chemistry there. Maybe they want to highlight the fact that katniss is more wilderness savvy and is able to constantly rescue peeta. I don't know. The director said the peeta candidates tested with jennifer so maybe they saw something in their interaction that I just can't see right now based on photos and past performances.

Old April 18th, 2011, 11:14 pm
Sixth Year

It looks like we have our Rue and Thresh. They cast unknowns this time, and I am so glad they at least look the part unlike the leads! The girl they cast to play Rue looks adorable, which of course will make it that much more poignant.

http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/the_...ger_games.html

Old April 18th, 2011, 11:37 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Wow, they definitely look the part, anyway. Amandla Stenberg looks cute without being precocious, which is exactly the way Rue needs to look. IMO.

Dayo Okeniyi looks very like I pictured Thresh, too. Any idea if he's tall?

Are the names thrown out for Haymitch rumours or just wishful thinking? I can't picture Brad Pitt as Haymitch, by a long shot. I think someone with a bit of an edge is needed for Haymitch. I still have my fingers crossed for Robert Downey Jr.

Pic by julvett at deviantart http://julvett.deviantart.com/gallery/2984632
"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and she’s trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.
Old April 19th, 2011, 12:42 am
Registered Animagus

Rue looks great! She's definitely going to be one of my favorite characters in the movie, just like the book!

Old April 19th, 2011, 12:45 am
Third Year

Quote:
but as far as acting chops go, they definitely still have a lot to prove
Well, Thresh does, if they give him a bigger role.
& I imagined them with opposite skin tones, oddly enough.

CoS|Pottermore
ThestralStorm121 is two sides of a coin.
Old April 19th, 2011, 1:50 am
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurryDice View Post
Wow, they definitely look the part, anyway. Amandla Stenberg looks cute without being precocious, which is exactly the way Rue needs to look. IMO.

Dayo Okeniyi looks very like I pictured Thresh, too. Any idea if he's tall?

Are the names thrown out for Haymitch rumours or just wishful thinking? I can't picture Brad Pitt as Haymitch, by a long shot. I think someone with a bit of an edge is needed for Haymitch. I still have my fingers crossed for Robert Downey Jr.
I think they have Rue perfectly cast, looks wise, anyway.
Re: Thresh, it was the first question I had too. Dayo Okeniyi doesn't look tall, and that worries me, but he does look years older than Rue, which I think they have right.

Would love it if Robert Downey Jr plays Haymitch. I think he's really a bit old for the role, but still LOVE him! And he plays drunk quite well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockworthy View Post
Well, Thresh does, if they give him a bigger role.
& I imagined them with opposite skin tones, oddly enough.
Really? I pictured Thresh tall, thin, deeply dark and stoic. Like he's lived and seen a lot of pain, worked hard in the fields and is hungry. Rue I imagined a bit lighter because she would be protected from sun a bit up in the trees perched under the leaves.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion