Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion

Perks of Being a Wallflower (w/Emma Watson)

Old February 10th, 2011, 4:37 pm
Registered Animagus

Perks of Being a Wallflower (w/Emma Watson)

http://www.facebook.com/emmawatson

Emma confirmed here that she will be in the movie as Sam. Logan Lerman (Percy Jackson) will be in the movie as well.

-------------------------------------
Plot (according to IMDB)
Told anonymously through letters, The Perks of Being a Wallflower follows Charlie, a high school freshman in the 90's. Emotional and shy, Charlie is trying to deal with the recent suicide of his best friend, Michael, while constantly observing the changing world around him. His English teacher, Bill, tries to teach Charlie how to participate in life by giving him extra books to read, and the work of Bill is reflected through Charlie's experiences. Throughout the plot, Charlie is trying to participate in life while dealing with a troubled childhood that he makes himself forget, abortion, drugs, sex, all while being exposed to homosexuality and judgment by the world around him. Charlie is stuck between the simplicity of childhood and the thoughts of the impending future; stuck between watching and participating in the world around him; and stuck in the middle of the problems of his friends and family. Charlie's letters are intimate and emotional, and they are the only true outlet for the emotions and thoughts he has bottled up inside of him.
-------------------------------------

It is from a book, which I have yet to read. But it is one of the movies in 2011 I want to see, mainly cause Emma is in it.

Last edited by Hes; March 28th, 2012 at 1:03 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old February 10th, 2011, 7:52 pm
Sixth Year

Re: Perks of Being a Wallflower (w/Emma Watson)

I heard the rumors about this earlier, but I also have yet to read the book. I've been wanting to read this, and I guess now is the time since Emma is going to be in it

Pottermore: SnidgetCharm86
Old February 10th, 2011, 9:51 pm
Second Year

Yes! I'm so excited about this movie. I read the book when I was about 14 (and like three times since ), and it changed my life. I've been hoping that they would make it into a film, and I couldn't be happier that Logan and Emma are in it. The nerd in me is rejoicing.

I need to read it again, immediately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
http://www.facebook.com/emmawatson

It is from a book, which I have yet to read. But it is one of the movies in 2011 I want to see, mainly cause Emma is in it.
It's a pretty easy read. You could probably have it read in a day or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_is_might View Post
I heard the rumors about this earlier, but I also have yet to read the book. I've been wanting to read this, and I guess now is the time since Emma is going to be in it

Yeah, dooo it!

Old February 11th, 2011, 1:23 am
First Year

I never heard of this book or movie , well Emma is in to of course i will watch it maybe i will read the book too.

Old February 11th, 2011, 5:15 am
Mrs Gilbert Grape

This is one of my favorite books, and I hadn't known they were making it into a movie until recently. I'm glad Watson will be in it, it gives me hope that the movie will turn out good.

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old February 11th, 2011, 7:16 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboywholived8 View Post
Yeah, dooo it!
Luckily, my sister had the book, so I read the book today And I really enjoyed it Kind of "Catcher in the Rye"-esque.

Very interested to see how Watson is going to do playing Sam, although it's probably going to be a huge change for her, since the role of Sam will be very different than anything she's done before. Much less family-friendly and edgy.

Now that I've read the book, I can say that I'm looking forward to this movie.

Old February 11th, 2011, 10:09 pm
The Next Great Adventurer

Although the news that the author will direct the film doesn't bode well. It's not often writers can make the jump.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old February 12th, 2011, 2:59 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_is_might View Post
Luckily, my sister had the book, so I read the book today And I really enjoyed it Kind of "Catcher in the Rye"-esque.

Very interested to see how Watson is going to do playing Sam, although it's probably going to be a huge change for her, since the role of Sam will be very different than anything she's done before. Much less family-friendly and edgy.

Now that I've read the book, I can say that I'm looking forward to this movie.
It reminds me a lot of CitR as well, which is another one of my favorites. The endings are very similar.

I'm so excited about Watson playing Sam. I think it's going to be quite the challenge for her, especially since she'll have to do an American accent. Very curious about that.

Old February 12th, 2011, 5:46 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboywholived8 View Post
I'm so excited about Watson playing Sam. I think it's going to be quite the challenge for her, especially since she'll have to do an American accent. Very curious about that.
Same here - wonder how well she can do an accent?

Old February 12th, 2011, 6:14 am

A couple of years at Brown would give her an idea of nuance. Besides, accent is often overrated.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

Old February 23rd, 2011, 12:26 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
Although the news that the author will direct the film doesn't bode well. It's not often writers can make the jump.
He has screenwriting and directing experience I think from what I've read, he worked on films before he wrote the book so I don't think it will be too much of a problem

I read the book when I heard Emma had been cast in the film and now I'm really excited to see her portrayal, and it will be nice to see her break out a bit in to a new character and one so different from Hermione! I loved the book when I read it, really curious to see how they adapt the format of letters as well Hope Emma can pull of the accent, the time spent in America should help.

Proud Pottermore and CoS Hufflepuff!
Old February 23rd, 2011, 1:03 pm

Chbosky's film experience is limited having written only two screenplays and with one directorial credit.

Old February 23rd, 2011, 8:48 pm
Fourth Year

Oh well, I guess some experience is better than none I don't know how common it is for author's to work on the film versions of their own work, don't think I've seen it before but I suppose it will have its advantages as well as its disadvantages. I really liked the writing style so I hope some of it can translate to the film, I wonder if there will be some sort of voiceover with the voice of Charlie reading the letters or something? That would be good

Proud Pottermore and CoS Hufflepuff!
Old February 24th, 2011, 10:55 pm
Third Year

Very cool! I read this book back in high school and don't remember it well, but I do remember it being rather dark and edgy. Glad to see here doing something so different! I agree that I can't wait to hear the American accent.

"We spent time here, we made friends here. That’s a part of us.
Because Hogwarts is bigger than any of us, it’s bigger than any of its Founders.
And it's gonna be around here long after we’re gone. Maybe we’ll see our kids go here.
That’s the thing about Hogwarts: no matter how long you’re away from it, there’s always a way back."
Old March 6th, 2011, 10:41 pm
Curse Breaker

Sam obviously is a supporting role, but is it a major (e.g., "Hermione") supporting role, or is it a more minor (e.g, "Ginny") supporting role?

I have not followed closely, but it doesn't seem like Watson has yet taken a lead role in a film, whereas Grint (and obviously Radcliffe even if you don't count Harry Potter) have done so. It probably is just a matter of time, though.

If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise don't put it there.” - A. P. Chekhov, Gurlyand's Reminiscences, and who knew why the Dog was long before the Shack!
Old April 20th, 2011, 4:03 am
Second Year

Re: Perks of Being a Wallflower (w/Emma Watson) 2012

Mae Whitman (aka Ann from Arrested Development and Roxy from Scott Pilgrim vs. the World) was added to the cast a few weeks ago, although I only just found out. She's going to play Mary Elizabeth. I like her a lot and I'm happy she's joining an already great cast so far.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118035000

Old April 27th, 2011, 5:07 am
First Year

I also hear Nina Dobrev from the Vampire Diaries is in it. Anyways, I've heard it's a great book and I really want to read it before the movie comes out.

Old May 4th, 2011, 6:14 am
First Year

I read the book a few years back and will definitely need to revisit it's pages before this movie comes out! I remember it being very good though. With an actor like Emma Watson aboard, and i'm sure many other talented actors, hopefully the book is done justice!

Old May 9th, 2011, 9:24 pm
Second Year

When I heard about this for the first time I nearly died.
I thought this could not be possible. One of my favorite books ever + Emma Watson. ugh, perfection <3

This book is soooo perfect and so inspirational. I knew she was going to be Sam because there aren't that many more options. Charlie's sister would not fit Emma as a character and Mary Elizabeth is totally different. So Sam only makes sense. I have never seen the main characters actor in anything so I will see how he works with Emma. I think it is essential that their chemistry work well on screen because the Charlie/Sam relationship is one of the most important parts of the book.
Does anyone know who will play Patrick?

OH GOD I am soooo excited. This is the movie (along with DH2) I am looking forward to the most.

Old May 10th, 2011, 5:10 am
Second Year

Ooh, according to IMDB, Paul Rudd is rumored to play Bill. That would be awesome. I love Paul Rudd in everything. This movie sounds better every day.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion