Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion

Rate / Review the Last Film you've seen v.3

Old July 10th, 2018, 7:19 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeť & Scrambled Eggs

Re: Rate / Review the Last Film you've seen v.3

Just got done watching Kubo and the Two Strings. Loved it. It was a very nice movie. Loved the acting, the cinematography and the artwork. 8/10

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Sponsored Links
Old July 10th, 2018, 7:46 pm
Zonko's Employee

Oceans 8 - overall just kinda cute 5/10; I generally don't like movies that lionize criminality without some justification for the crime (as in Les Miserables or original Death Wish). These were just evil greedy women - bleah. Also jewels, especially well-known ones, have become about the least stealworthy things out there, as they are all x-ray etched internally and easily traceable when resold.

A Quiet Place - really well made. if you accept all the premises, then it is really good. 8/10. Loses points for something that really annoys me - in the end
Spoiler: show
they find these auditory superpredators can be shot! Well, why did no one in the whole US of A think of THAT before!?!? Yeah, we have no one who would shoot creatures trying to slaughter everyone! The military and police must have tried to negotiate :eyeroll: And another thing - auditory hunters would be really overwhelmed with all the sound sources in cities, wouldn't they?

Here he is on a summer vacation trip to the Canary Islands with Fluffy, his second favorite dog.

Last edited by Dedalus Diggle; July 16th, 2018 at 8:37 pm.
Old July 16th, 2018, 2:46 pm
Curse Breaker

The superpredators can be shot when their ears are exposed or when they lose orientation. If you shoot at them, even with tank shells at any other time, their outer armor repels it. Why exactly the sound waves from firing guns don't bother them is a mystery, though.

Kubo and the Two Strings is gorgeous animation, a stellar cast, and about 3/4 of an excellent movie. But the ending is just...well, the resolution (as it pertains to the grandfather) is just ruinous.

ETA--And I loved Ocean's 8. Not as strong as the Ocean's 11 remake, but certainly the equal of the sequels with a stellar cast. And I thought most of the crew was both entertaining and sympathetic.

No worries. No spoilers here.

Last edited by jordmundt6; July 19th, 2018 at 7:00 am.
Old July 18th, 2018, 4:17 am
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeť & Scrambled Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordmundt6 View Post
The superpredators can be shot when their ears are exposed or when they lose orientation. If you shoot at them, even with tank shells, the outer armor repels it. Why exactly the sound waves from firing guns don't bother them is a mystery, though.

Kubo and the Two Strings is gorgeous animation, a stellar cast, and about 3/4 of an excellent movie. But the ending is just...resolution (as it pertains to the grandfather) is just ruinous.

ETA--And I loved Ocean's 8. Not as strong as the Ocean's 11 remake, but certainly the equal of the sequels with a stellar cast. And I thought most of the crew was both entertaining and sympathetic.
Yea...

Spoiler: show
The whole letting him live and lying to him about what he was like... I didn't really like that at all. After all that he'd done. No. He should have just been left to die.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Old July 18th, 2018, 3:33 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordmundt6 View Post
The superpredators can be shot when their ears are exposed or when they lose orientation. If you shoot at them, even with tank shells, the outer armor repels it. Why exactly the sound waves from firing guns don't bother them is a mystery, though.
Are you piecing together this from the movie itself - like post-hoc explanations of idiomatic sayings - or is there some authoritative source?

Here he is on a summer vacation trip to the Canary Islands with Fluffy, his second favorite dog.
Old July 19th, 2018, 6:58 am
Curse Breaker

There are clippings in the father's basement work area that I think show aerial and ground attacks, specifically tanks that fail well before the main body of the movie takes place. The thing about the vulnerability to shotgun shells when equilibrium is thrown off by the specific frequency in the daughter's hearing aid is what I can surmise from what I actually watched happen onscreen every time the creatures were close enough to trigger that hearing aid.

No worries. No spoilers here.
Old July 19th, 2018, 5:45 pm
Zonko's Employee

I don't think it was the creature's proximity that set it off, but feedback between the microphone and the hearing aid.

Old Yesterday, 4:49 am
Ravenclaw Prefect

A Wrinkle In Time--visually awesome with some very good acting, especially by Storm Reid. I have to admit it's been ages since I read the book, so I don't recall it well enough to comment on how closely the movie follows it, but I thought that the climax was a little underwhelming (admittedly, I saw it on a screen on an airplane, so it may have needed a bigger screen to really shine), and there were some moments in the film that moved a little slow. Overall I liked it, despite some minor flaws.

Awesome Ravenclaw Princess of the Strawberry-ness/Pottermore Ravenclaw & Thunderbird
Back to COS, the Forum that Lived
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion