Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion

Rate / Review the Last Film you've seen v.3

Old February 19th, 2015, 2:01 pm
Zonko's Employee

Re: Rate / Review the Last Film you've seen v.3

Sex Tape - Better than i expected from the title and set-up. Mostly just a comic adventure as the protagonists try to hide their sex tape. Lots of skin and much more profanity 6/10

Horrible Bosses 2 - just horrible. Really, really bad. Wallowing in sewage bad. 1/10

Saint Vincent - basically a lot of crude hijinks sewn together with a "there's good in everybody if you can see it" theme. Doesn't quite carry it off, but it tries - 6/10

Here he is on a summer vacation trip to the Canary Islands with Fluffy, his second favorite dog.
Sponsored Links
Old February 28th, 2015, 5:58 pm
Curse Breaker

The Grand Budapest Hotel
? out of 10
Seriously, I just don't know exactly how to rate this one. The performances are quite good --- even with characters who are already close to over-the-top by description, no one overacts. A fair amount of humor...a bit of clever, visual and dark. Interesting film, but couldn't connect with it...which is odd because I know what to expect from Wes Anderson, and really like most of his films.

....I miss David Tennant....
Old March 19th, 2015, 3:31 am
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeť & Scrambled Eggs

Guardians of the Galaxy -- 9/10

Just saw this recently and had fun watching it. Loved the shout outs and the humor especially. Planning on getting it used some day.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Old March 21st, 2015, 3:42 pm
Curse Breaker

Nebraska - 9/10

Old April 25th, 2015, 3:59 am
Curse Breaker

Age of Adaline---3.5/10

Something that desperately wanted to be The Notebook meets Somewhere in Time and was, instead, a Nicholas Sparks movie with one decent performance (Harrison Ford trying to hold the film together with his own two hands dropping in an hour late).

Where did this go wrong? Blake Lively's "performance?" The script? The chemistry between the leads? Or was it just the oddly clinical and bland narrator who sits on the first fifteen minutes of the movie and kills all momentum? Tough call. And yet, there were reports in a couple of places that Katherine Heigl was originally tabbed for the title role. I honestly don't know if that's better or worse than what they got.

The Longest Ride 5 or 6/10

This was critically savaged for script (though it's no worse than Age of Adaline). Is it predictable? Certainly? Is it a landmark the way The Notebook or Somewhere In Time were? No. But, unlike the vast majority of its Sparks adaptation brethren, it has well-matched leads who actually seemed interested in the material and lifted it to something better than the sum of its parts. The film leans heavily on the sympathy and gravitas Alan Alda brings, but he lends his strength quietly and doesn't have to strain alone to save a dud. This is the floor Age of Adaline couldn't hit. And yet...oh, well.

No worries. No spoilers here.
Old April 30th, 2015, 1:25 am
The Forums Red Hypergiant Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightsfire View Post
Hobbit: Battle of Five Armies
It was what it was.
And the purists already hate these movies.
But I enjoyed it even though I would have preferred more of a resolution to all involved in said battle.
You mean film purists, right?

Old May 4th, 2015, 3:04 am
First Year

Avengers Age of Ultron 7/10

doesn't quite match its predecessor but still gives MCU fans everything they want it seems everyone (both spectators and participants) are mainly wating for the civil and infinity wars

For Phantom has fallen this day!!!!!!!
12-26-14
The Fall of Phantom
Never forget
Old May 4th, 2015, 1:34 pm
Member of the Order

I too saw Avengers; Age of Ultron
hmf...
Although I kinda hate this whole "MCU" thing, I admit that Age of Ultron was better than I thought it would be. Some surprises in character development. But the best addition was the Vision.

Oh, for God's sake!"

Have to say I love what they made with this version of the Vision. Had just one problem with him:
Spoiler: show
The Mind Gem...really? Using the Mind Gem as a power source for the Vision...But wait. Thanos was supposed to be looking for all those gems, but gives one away to Loki? Something not right there.

All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

---Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Million Dollar Baby)
Old May 4th, 2015, 3:00 pm
First Year

why do you hate the MCU? (just asking not looking for an argument)

For Phantom has fallen this day!!!!!!!
12-26-14
The Fall of Phantom
Never forget
Old May 4th, 2015, 3:40 pm
Member of the Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voldemort_Jones View Post
why do you hate the MCU? (just asking not looking for an argument)
Well, not even going at those movies not put out by Disney/Marvel (i.e., Fantastic Four and Spider Man)
A lot of characters have been changed from the comic books to fit a more human paradigm. Thor isn't the God of thunder, he's just a empowered alien. (ala Superman with a hammer...) Anything on that mystical side doesn't seem to exist...yet. (If the forthcoming Dr. Strange treats that whole side of reality as some sort of "super science" then the "MCU" has indeed become garbage)

Guardians of the Galaxy shows this in even more egregious ways, so many that it ranks among the dregs with the Fantastic Four and that 3rd X-Men movie. (a later post for that if you really want. But Ronan, Star Lord, the Nova Corps, just about every character...all very different from the comic books. Indeed, Star Lord was more or less a intergalactic police figure that even the "hated" Kree, with their vaunted superiority complex highly respected. (During the first "Annihilation" series, it was inferred that all he would do was walk in a room and they all snapped to attention, including the officers)

Spoiler: show
I wonder If Thanos gave the Mind Gem to Loki knowing that he'd lose the gem to the Avengers..Thanos does have that annoying ability to live out separate realities, playing out scenarios...He can live out the reality like a video game seeing where he makes a mistake and going back to rectify it.

All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

Old May 4th, 2015, 7:44 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

X Men: Days of Future Past

This is not a bad movie, but it has serious problems IMO, and the biggest issue is the intent of the filmmakers to push Jennifer Lawrence's Mystique character as the core of this film. Aside from my belief that she's inferior in the role to Rebecca Romijn, her role in this film makes no sense. It might have worked better if an entirely new character (rather than Mystique) was the cause of the chain of events that caused the Sentinel war. This movie had "Jennifer Lawrence is more famous now, so let's expand her role" written all over it. I didn't buy for a second that Mystique joining Magneto would have been enough to drive Xavier into a crushing depression.

X Men First Class never really convincingly conveyed to me that Xavier and Mystique were that close anyway IMO, and since Xavier was the one who told her to join Magneto I don't see why he'd be so depressed by it. It would have made more sense if his paralysis was the main cause of his depression. I also don't like the way Xavier blames Magneto for his paralysis when it was clearly Moira MacTaggart stupidly firing her gun at Magneto that caused it. I also don't understand why Xavier suddenly decided to become a recluse and close down his school considering that he seemed perfectly happy at the end of First Class.

The framing story didn't work IMO. Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellen, Halle Berry, and Ellen Page really don't have a lot to do in this movie, except stand around. Hugh Jackman carries the film and does a good job doing it. Wolverine is still the most interesting X Men character even after so many films. I also liked Peter Dinklage as Bolivar Trask. The references to William Stryker and his future influence over Wolverine was also a nice touch.

I wouldn't even attempt to try and rationalise the time travel/timeline change elements of the plot. The X Men movies have an impossibility convoluted canon.

Old May 18th, 2015, 3:12 am
Member of the Order

Mad Max: Fury Road

I never liked the Mad Max idea. A depressing apocalyptic wasteland that just never seemed to end filled with forgettable characters.

This was much better than that. I saw it for Tom Hardy, but Charlize Theron stole the movie.

Old May 18th, 2015, 6:29 pm
Sixth Year

The Grand Budapest Hotel, 5/10

I had heard it was a masterpiece, and I had heard it was terribly bad. To be honest, I am not sure which is the case. The story is funny, the approach very original, the acting generally good... but it feels all the time as if you were missing half the joke. It lacks emotion, too; you never manage to get a minimum of empathy with the characters (too parodic for that) and by the middle of the movie you realize that you actually don't care very much whether they solve the murder or find the envelope. You are mildly curious, but you don't really care.

Old May 23rd, 2015, 5:39 am
Curse Breaker

Lawrence is inferior in the role to Rebecca Romijn? I...huh. How could you possibly tell from what little they had her do in the first film. I've mostly had 3 "Inceptioned" from my memory. It's an arguable point. I come down on the other side, but I've seen some of RRC's other work and she can definitely hold her own.

If I may--they try to let Hank exposition them out of the Xavier-is-an-addict storyline.

1. Raven (who he always considered a sister) left him for Eric. Eric's approach continued to be violent and combative. Then, the war in Vietnam escalated and almost the entire student body and half the staff got drafted. Those who didn't end up dead or suffering from PTSD ended up undergoing horrific experiments for the sake of Trask's research. His relationships were over, his life's work was in tatters, and he felt completely helpless.

McTaggert was foolish, but her reaction was understandable. Eric has enough control to stop a single bullet in midair. He was careless, and it cost both of them.

No worries. No spoilers here.
Old May 24th, 2015, 9:46 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Quote:
Lawrence is inferior in the role to Rebecca Romijn? I...huh. How could you possibly tell from what little they had her do in the first film.
Rebecca Romijn was more sultry and seductive in the role.

Quote:
1. Raven (who he always considered a sister) left him for Eric. Eric's approach continued to be violent and combative. Then, the war in Vietnam escalated and almost the entire student body and half the staff got drafted. Those who didn't end up dead or suffering from PTSD ended up undergoing horrific experiments for the sake of Trask's research. His relationships were over, his life's work was in tatters, and he felt completely helpless.
That was too much to cram into a single film, and they didn't do a good enough job making any of it convincing. The Xavier/Mystique relationship in First Class seemed shoehorned. His paralysis should have been the main cause of his downward spiral.

Quote:
McTaggert was foolish, but her reaction was understandable. Eric has enough control to stop a single bullet in midair. He was careless, and it cost both of them.
She was firing at near point blank range, with Xavier standing about two feet away. I found her behaviour to be incredibly reckless.

Old May 25th, 2015, 2:19 am
Member of the Order

I liked First Class because to me it hit all the notes from the comic books.

Days of Future Past however..well, it was likable enough, but it was more a Wolverine movie than it was the comic book story which was far better. They had the talent (Ellen Page would have been amazing) and wasted it to focus on Lawrence and Jackman.

Old May 25th, 2015, 2:20 am
Curse Breaker

The Avengers: Age of Ultron - 8/10

Better than I thought it would be, considering they mixed things up a bit. I agree with Midnightsfire, some interesting character development; also fun CGI and very entertaining.

Old May 26th, 2015, 1:21 am
Secret Chocolate Keeper

The Fault In Our Stars

I generally enjoyed this. The guy who played Gus though was completely blown off the screen by Shailene Woodley, who was outstanding in this movie. It's a little schmalzy in parts (tourists applauding the main characters for kissing in the Anne Frank house museum) and it's another one of these young-adult book adaptations where the characters just come off as way too mature, intellectual and philosophical for supposed teenagers (none of the actors remotely convince as being in that age range), but it's still a decent film. I did find it rather funny in a dark kind of way that the assistant to Willem Defoe's character would effectively throw two terminally ill people to the wolves by inviting them to meet her boss when he was clearly going to be incredibly cold and cruel towards them. His redemption at the end of the film doesn't really convince. It's a story about sick teenagers dying of cancer, so it's definitely a sad tale, but they still manage to fill it with some humour and charm. Certainly worth watching.

Old May 26th, 2015, 1:39 am
Ravenclaw Prefect

Twelve O'clock High--great movie! I'm very impressed that a movie from that era had so much to say about the psychological effects of war. A really moving and poignant picture for Memorial Day viewing.

Awesome Ravenclaw Princess of the Strawberry-ness/Pottermore Ravenclaw & Thunderbird
Back to COS, the Forum that Lived
Old June 6th, 2015, 12:46 am
Curse Breaker

Big Hero 6 - 9/10 - Nice story and great animation; funny moments too. Baymax steals the show in my opinion.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion