Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion

Rate / Review the Last Film you've seen v.3

Old December 24th, 2011, 5:43 am
Secret Keeper

Re: Rate / Review the Last Film you've seen v.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedwigOwl View Post
Interesting that you went to a letter ranking for Midnight in Paris rather than the number ratings you customarily use...any reason for that departure?
Because there was nothing I could find particularly wrong with the film other then it being a bit lackluster overall, but the usual wouldn't be an accurate reflection of this. Really though there isn't much difference...the numbers are just more in depth but ultimately you end up with a 0-100 score that can be converted to a letter grade.

I've been wrongly sorted into Gryffindor!

Last edited by lcbaseball22; December 24th, 2011 at 8:06 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old December 24th, 2011, 8:01 am
Fourth Year

HedwigOwl - I am inclined to agree about the casting of Owen Wilson in Midnight in Paris - I was blown away by his performance!

i'm still humming the Sherlock Holmes music....

Old December 25th, 2011, 4:40 am
Secret Keeper

The Magnificent Ambersons

Acting- 7
Script- 7
Visuals- 8
Sound- 8
Editing- 6

Total Score = 72

Verdict- Sounds great on paper...on screen not so much. Only thing really worthwhile is the irony of the fate that befalls the spoiled brat. Otherwise what you've got is the typically wooden Joseph Cotton in an unpleasant film of disjointed segments. Capra would have handled this so much better. I know this may be an unpopular opinion but Orson Welles is over-rated...none of his films have shown themselves to be the "masterpiece" they are touted as. Oh sure Citizen Kane is a technical marvel but as a whole the only film of his that I can really reccomend is Touch of Evil...it at least hits on all cylinders, and while not quite a masterpiece would've been more deserving of a BP nom.

I've been wrongly sorted into Gryffindor!

Last edited by lcbaseball22; December 25th, 2011 at 5:57 am.
Old December 25th, 2011, 4:11 pm
Fourth Year

Watched Our Idiot Brother with Paul Rudd, Zooey Deschanel, Elizabeth Banks. It was cute and funny. I thought Paul Rudd was great. 4/5

Old December 27th, 2011, 7:14 am
Banned

I went with my family last night to see Hugo. I unfortunately have to give it an F. It is easily the worst movie I saw this year and in the past few years, trumping even Transformers 2.

The propagandandistic attitude prevalent throughout enraged me. I hate the importance of the medium that is shoved upon the audience, something kids, that the film is marketed toward, will not comprehend. There's no way to justify the importance that is shown considering what the medium has been delivering year in and year out, notably in the summer, and especially with the director's last effort and this one.

The movie was marketed as something for children, but what is there besides the slapstick comedy and the visuals, which are at times cluttered? The messages are certainly great, but when put into the context of film preservation and the disingenuous claim of the importance of movies, they are put in the background. This is not a family movie, but a movie for filmmakers and critics, most importantly them, to feel relevant again. It really felt like an ad for film schools, of which we need less graduates.

There's also the problem with the sudden shift in who is the main character about halfway through. Is it Hugo or Melies?

This is a terrible movie and I would advise not seeing it yourself or with children.

Last edited by ImperioVoldy; December 27th, 2011 at 7:56 pm. Reason: Left out the word "not"
Old December 27th, 2011, 12:54 pm
Member of the Order

hmmm...

there are some good reasons why Hugo is thought so highly of:

I was impressed with the 3d bit, but I would have liked the film even without it. When you have a good movie, the 3d stuff is irellevent. And Hugo was a good movie. Although despite being billed as a kids' movie, I doubt that many would like it as it is. It isn't a comedy, action-adventure, and there isn't any talking animals. It's a movie about...well, movies. It's a hard call who this is geared to, but children will likely be bored with it.

HUGO Is An Ode To The Magic Of Movies!

...HUGO is a magical introduction to why we love film so very much. It's Martin Scorsese's love letter to the power of cinema, and although it's quite unlike any film he's ever made, it's also undeniably a Scorsese film. Scorsese's films have such joy and passion in them, even when he's documenting evil men and evil deeds like in GOODFELLAS or TAXI DRIVER. HUGO is playful, charming, and an ode to a cinema that just doesn't exist anymore.

All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

---Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Million Dollar Baby)
Old December 27th, 2011, 4:26 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImperioVoldy View Post
I went with my family last night to see Hugo. I unfortunately have to give it an F. It is easily the worst movie I saw this year and in the past few years, trumping even Transformers 2.

The propagandandistic attitude prevalent throughout enraged me. I hate the importance of the medium that is shoved upon the audience, something kids, that the film is marketed toward, will not comprehend. There's no way to justify the importance that is shown considering what the medium has been delivering year in and year out, notably in the summer, and especially with the director's last effort and this one.

The movie was marketed as something for children, but what is there besides the slapstick comedy and the visuals, which are at times cluttered? The messages are certainly great, but when put into the context of film preservation and the disingenuous claim of the importance of movies, they are put in the background. This is not a family movie, but a movie for filmmakers and critics, most importantly them, to feel relevant again. It really felt like an ad for film schools, of which we need less graduates.

There's also the problem with the sudden shift in who is the main character about halfway through. Is it Hugo or Melies?

This is a terrible movie and I would advise seeing it yourself or with children.
Good review!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 View Post
Because there was nothing I could find particularly wrong with the film other then it being a bit lackluster overall, but the usual wouldn't be an accurate reflection of this.
...Which goes to show that no numbers can reflect the quality of a film and/or one's reaction to it as a viewer 100% accurately. Personally I consider films as whole, as opposed to judge their individual components per se (that when only put together make up a film) and average out a score based on that. Their only function is to support the film.

Last edited by Noldus; December 27th, 2011 at 4:57 pm.
Old December 27th, 2011, 6:45 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeť & Scrambled Eggs

X-Men First Class -- 8/10

I finally got to see this film and it was worth the wait. It was an interesting take on the Cuban Missle Crisis in the 60's and how it would have affected both mankind and mutantkind alike.

As for the interaction between Magneto and Professor X, both of them showed just how different they really were in terms of how they grew up. It was a good portrait of how both the X-Men and the Brotherhood of Evil came to be.

Spoiler: show
I do have a question though: There was this one red character that reminded me a lot of Nightcrawler... is he somehow related to him?

Overall, I'd recommend this film to anyone who is a fan of the X-Men and of comics in general.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes -- 8/10

Been wanting to see this one for awhile as well. Definitely worth the wait. The plot kept me on my toes the entire time. It was interesting to see the progression of Caesar's life and what led him to do what he did in the end.

This might be one I'll try to get on dvd when I can.

The Help -- 8/10

I wasn't completely sure if I wanted to see this one at first. But in the end, I was wrong about this film. It drew me in from the start and was well worth the watch. The acting by everyone involved was well done and the music fit the movie.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Old December 27th, 2011, 7:56 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightsfire View Post
hmmm...

there are some good reasons why Hugo is thought so highly of:

I was impressed with the 3d bit, but I would have liked the film even without it. When you have a good movie, the 3d stuff is irellevent. And Hugo was a good movie. Although despite being billed as a kids' movie, I doubt that many would like it as it is. It isn't a comedy, action-adventure, and there isn't any talking animals. It's a movie about...well, movies. It's a hard call who this is geared to, but children will likely be bored with it.

HUGO Is An Ode To The Magic Of Movies!

...HUGO is a magical introduction to why we love film so very much. It's Martin Scorsese's love letter to the power of cinema, and although it's quite unlike any film he's ever made, it's also undeniably a Scorsese film. Scorsese's films have such joy and passion in them, even when he's documenting evil men and evil deeds like in GOODFELLAS or TAXI DRIVER. HUGO is playful, charming, and an ode to a cinema that just doesn't exist anymore.
All 'm seeing is "ode to cinema" in what you quoted, which is what I have a problem with. Reading that review in full would not deter me.

Old December 27th, 2011, 10:33 pm
Member of the Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkesfan1 View Post
X-Men First Class -- 8/10
I do have a question though: There was this one red character that reminded me a lot of Nightcrawler... is he somehow related to him?
That red dude was called "Azrael." And he is supposed to be Kurt's father.

Quote:
All 'm seeing is "ode to cinema" in what you quoted, which is what I have a problem with. Reading that review in full would not deter me.
Could always read the reviews on Rotten tomatoes; out of 171 critics, only 11 gave it a negative rating. Not many movies see that kind of broad support or have that many critics praising it. The movies that did better, I'd say aren't movies that many will see. (Kind of like this one unfortunately)

*shrugs* What did you expect when you went to see it?

All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

Last edited by Midnightsfire; December 27th, 2011 at 10:36 pm.
Old December 27th, 2011, 10:38 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeť & Scrambled Eggs

Quote:
Thanks Midnight. Good to see some more continuity there.

Also noticed Cyclops' father and Storm in the film as well.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Old December 27th, 2011, 10:57 pm
Banned

Quote:

Could always read the reviews on Rotten tomatoes; out of 171 critics, only 11 gave it a negative rating. Not many movies see that kind of broad support or have that many critics praising it. The movies that did better, I'd say aren't movies that many will see. (Kind of like this one unfortunately)

*shrugs* What did you expect when you went to see it?
Why do I need to relax? I'm perfectly calm.

Rotten Tomatoes is irrelevant. I was expecting what was advertized: a family romp. I did not expect propaganda exaggerating the importance of cinema and an advertisement for film school. The trailers and TV spots showed what looked like a family adventure.

Also note that many critics say very little about the story and give faults about it. Instead they lap up a film that makes them feel important and strokes their egos. Bait and switch was used to get those unfortunate people in the seats.

Old December 27th, 2011, 11:14 pm
Member of the Order

Quote:
Rotten Tomatoes is irrelevant. I was expecting what was advertized: a family romp. I did not expect propaganda exaggerating the importance of cinema and an advertisement for film school. The trailers and TV spots showed what looked like a family adventure.
So you wanted a family adventure...ok.

Oh well...160 critics liked the movie well enough.

As I've already posted, the movie wasn't my preferred genre, but I enjoyed it on its own merits. It wasn't the kids' movie I thought it was, but something else entirely.

Old December 28th, 2011, 12:09 am
Sixth Year

Saw sherlock holmes 2 over christmas. It was okay. I thought it dragged a bit in the beginning, but overall it was entertaining. I just wasn't that taken with the villain this time. I guess the actor who played Moriarty just didn't have the mystique I was expecting based on all the mystery that seemed to surround the character in the first film.

Old December 28th, 2011, 2:03 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Oh well...160 critics liked the movie well enough.
So what? Aren't people allowed to express their opinion if it goes against the grain? I, personally, encourage reflected thoughts like that.

So the last movie I watched was...

The Twilight Saga: Eclipse

I will give the filmmakers credit for trying to inject some life into the franchise again by opting for more suspense than in the past and for focusing on Bella's choice of marrying Edward and becoming a vampire or living a normal life as represented by Jacob. That said, it's a pretty thin and drawn out conflict (introduced in the last movie) with two-dimensional characters that once again ruins all its credibility as the serious drama it attempts to be. A couple enjoyable moments of self-irony, like Bella joking about the seriousness in telling her father about the marriage (who for some unexplained reason hates Edward), merely goes to show how laughably blown up the whole concept is. The middle drags, the relationship between Bella and Edward is as stiff and forced as ever and Jacob is too much of an egoistic drama queen to care about. Kristen Stewart's limited facial expressions make almost half of her scenes awkward to watch, and is Bella ever happy?

Technically, the series upped its game with this installment. The cinematography was at times gorgeous and without the exaggerated use of colour filters that plagued the first movie, and the climax managed to engage. Something that surprised me positively was the parallel between the werewolves' tale and Bella's action at the end and the contrast between her mindset and that of the vampire who is jealous at her for having a choice, whose backstory is shown in a flashback. Otherwise there were too many backstories and irrelevant names thrown out when something more relevant to the plot like Bella's promise in the second movie to become a vampire needed to be made clearer to the audience than just being referenced.

I may watch the newest movie and the upcoming finale one day... If only out of curiosity to find out whether the films manage to immortalize the mediocrity of this installment, which is the best we can hope for from this franchise, or if they fall back to New Moon dreadfulness. End of rant.

Last edited by Noldus; December 28th, 2011 at 1:24 pm.
Old December 28th, 2011, 8:43 am
Fourth Year

Quote:

This is a terrible movie and I would advise not seeing it yourself or with children.
I think to describe it as 'terrible' is somewhat harsh as many critics liked it. I went with my 18 yearold daughter and she loved it! I would have been happy to have taken much younger children to see it! I still say it was enchanting and as our christmas film of 2011 we really enjoyed it!

You don't say how old you are but I'm happy to say that I'm 49 and I loved it - but I did know what i was going to see. Going to the cinema can be quite expensive so I make sure I see films that I think will interest me ( this may account for why my reviews on here are generally positive) and avoid those that I know are not to my taste. This Chrsitmas I am unlikey to see Mission Impossible and definitely will NOT be going to see The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

I don't think that the film as in any way preachy - and I think kids would probably enjoy it - the ones in the same cinema as me certainly did - judging by their chatter as they left - they would have been 8 - 10 years old.

Old December 28th, 2011, 12:52 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkiedoodle View Post
I think to describe it as 'terrible' is somewhat harsh as many critics liked it.
What's harsh is what you do here, implying that if one doesn't like a critically acclaimed film, one should keep one's mouth shut.

Quote:
This Chrsitmas I am unlikey to see Mission Impossible and definitely will NOT be going to see The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.
The Swedish film was great, and according to the critics (who you generally seem to listen to), the American version is even better.

Old December 28th, 2011, 1:36 pm
Member of the Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noldus View Post
The Swedish film was great, and according to the critics (who you generally seem to listen to), the American version is even better.
As Rotten Tomatoes has it, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo has 173 critics' reviews, with only 26 of them negative.

Despite that, not my genre, so I probably won't see it.

Old December 28th, 2011, 1:39 pm
Fourth Year

Actually the critic who I listen to (Mark Kermode) said that the new Dragon Tattoo movie was close to the original movie and he couldn't see the point in making the English language version. The rest of the world copes well with subtitles, but Hollywood feels the need to remake films.

I have no problems with subtitles - i don't want to see Dragon Tattoo because of the violence - I appreciate it is an integral part of the film and the book, but as it is not my scene I won't be going..

As to different opinions on films I have no problem with people having opinions that differ from mine.. but to describe Hugo as terrible and advise people not to go and see it (with or without children) seems harsh to me.

Rightly or wrongly I have the feeling that the original poster was dragged against his/her will to see this film.

As this forum invites peoples opinions other readers have the right to make up their own minds based on the comments. ImperioVoldy described it as terrible and the worst film they have seen for several years.....I still maintain that it is enchanting.

Doubtless other readers/cinema goers will have their own opinions...

Old December 28th, 2011, 2:07 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Actually the critic who I listen to (Mark Kermode) said that the new Dragon Tattoo movie was close to the original movie and he couldn't see the point in making the English language version. The rest of the world copes well with subtitles, but Hollywood feels the need to remake films.

Fair enough, but considering it is directed by David Fincher, the decision to remake it seemed to be an artistic one rather than a commercial. And actually, it is not a remake: It is a new adaptation of the book.

Quote:
As to different opinions on films I have no problem with people having opinions that differ from mine.. but to describe Hugo as terrible and advise people not to go and see it (with or without children) seems harsh to me.
That seems contradicting to me. If he found it terrible, you can't change that. What was the OP supposed to do? Pretend he found it mediocre instead of terrible in consideration of those who loved it? Different viewpoints is positive as it allows for discussions if one is open enough to accept them.

Quote:
Rightly or wrongly I have the feeling that the original poster was dragged against his/her will to see this film.
That is however irrelevant speculation.

Last edited by Noldus; December 28th, 2011 at 2:11 pm.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion