Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion

Rate / Review the Last Film you've seen v.3

Old October 31st, 2010, 4:58 am
Registered Animagus

Re: Rate / Review the Last Film you've seen v.3

Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs
The first half was definitely better than the second, but generally it was a really well made, funny movie.

Wall E
Ok it took me ages to get to see this, but it was fantastic. The animation was beautiful and the social commentary kinda... well blatant but very interesting. Everything about this film was lovely.

Old October 31st, 2010, 5:11 am
Banned

The Godfather: Michael Corleone is a war hero. He's young and innocent. Family troubles begin. He is corrupted.

The Godfather: Part II: Michael Corleone is building his empire, and trying the best he can to become legitimate. He sinks further into the abyss.

The Godfather: Part III: Michael Corleone is almost entirely legitimate. Problems occur. Redemption.

This trilogy is phenomenal, including the much-hated and underrated third part.

Old October 31st, 2010, 9:06 am
Secret Keeper

I watched 2 somewhat disappointing early films from a couple prestigious directors...

Heavenly Creatures-

Acting- 7.5
Script- 8.5
Visuals- 8
Sound- 7.5
Editing- 7

Total Score= 77

Verdict- the story stands out but it could've been better presented. Amongst other things I would have cut down the fantasy and not started in media res. Oh, and it would have helped immensely if the actress of the other girl had been of the same standard as Kate Winslet...

Picnic at Hanging Rock

Acting- 7
Script- 6.5
Visuals- 9
Sound- 9
Editing- 7

Total Score= 77

Verdict- Eh, way too open ended for my tastes but I liked the atmosphere provide by the visuals/sound. A fairly good art house film I guess.

P.S. Heh, believe it or not, it was purely coincidental that they got the same score!

I've been wrongly sorted into Gryffindor!

Last edited by lcbaseball22; October 31st, 2010 at 9:18 am.
Old October 31st, 2010, 9:57 am
Sixth Year

The Karate Kid (2010) 6/10

I'm a big fan of the '80's Karate Kid. I didn't like this new one as much. I've always enjoyed Jackie Chan and this time was no different. The moves are definitely cooler and more intense than in the '80's flick, but it just felt like the emotions were not very convincing and were lacking, it didn't feel as inspiring as the original. It was kind of weird to see Jackie Chan beat up kids :\ The training at the temple was kind of cool. It's an okay film to see once but I will most likely forget it. It's not one I'd like to see over again and won't add it to my dvd collection.

My kids loved it *lol*

Saw (the first one) 3/10

Eh. I'm not a big horror fan but we rented this for fun for Halloween. It was stupid. I enjoyed trying to figure out who the killer was, and had it right at one point but the twist at the end ruined that *lol*
I won't be renting the others.

Old November 1st, 2010, 12:26 am
Hiding under Johnny's bed...

Secretariat

I only went to see this because my family wanted to. But I ended up really enjoying this movie. I liked Diane Lane's character and was impressed by the shots of the horse racing.

Old November 1st, 2010, 1:08 am
Banned

Minority Report is a good film, but the story is somewhat weak and filled with a few plotholes. The most egregious has to do with the revelation.

Spoiler: show
The guy Lamar hires to kill Ann Lively doesn't know that Precrime exists? I find that hard to believe when there are agents already hired and deployed.

The Precrime employees are incompetent. John is on the run and, to them, will commit murder. Because of this, wouldn't they revoke his access? Of course not. Writers fiat is at work once again.

Williams' score is pretty terrible as it sounds almost identical to music from his work on previous films, like the Quidditch scenes in the first two Potter films. The similarities can be heard during the jetpack chase scene.

I would have loved to see the morality of Precrime delved into a little bit more.

Overall, the movie is good and the Blu-Ray transfer is excellent.

Old November 1st, 2010, 3:23 am
Second Year

The Descent 8/10
I loved the plot and the crawlers. I also liked the fact that the whole cast was female. Something different... (at least for me; I haven't seen any other horror movies with an all female cast, but of course I'm not saying there aren't any). I like the original ending better than the recut American ending.

The Descent Part 2 6/10
Pretty good for a sequel. Some parts didn't add up though. I didn't find it as interesting or scary as the first movie though. I also wasn't fond of the ending.

The Ruins 7/10
I like the plot and the characters are okay (except for Amy - she was pretty annoying). There were some pretty cheesy parts, but overall I thought it was good.

Hufflepuff
Old November 1st, 2010, 10:52 am
Secret Keeper

The Innocents (1961)

Acting- 9
Script- 8
Visuals- 9
Sound- 8.5
Editing- 8

Total Score = 85

Verdict- Good build up but disappointing climax. Unfortunately this was the best it got...my Halloween marathon went downhill from here.

Young Frankenstein

Acting- 7.5
Script- 7.5
Visuals- 8.5
Sound- 8
Editing- 7.5

Total Score = 78

Verdict- I didn't find this nearly as funny as people say and certainly not "the funniest comedy of all time" as is stated on the DVD case.

Rosemary's Baby

Acting- 8
Script- 6.5
Visuals- 7
Sound- 7.5
Editing- 6

Total Score = 70

Verdict- Boring and blasphemous. Polanksi disappoints this time. I'd say he's athiest but I suppose you can't have the devil without God

Amityville Horror (1979)

Acting- 7
Script- 6
Visuals- 6
Sound- 6.5
Editing- 5

Total Score = 61

Verdict- Basically sup-par all around but pacing is the biggest culprit. I think the intent was slow burn suspense, but it just becomes a bore.

Last edited by lcbaseball22; November 1st, 2010 at 11:03 am.
Old November 1st, 2010, 12:00 pm
Third Year

Carolina Moon and Montana Sky based on the novels by Nora Roberts

I'll give both movies a 8/10
They were really good and in some parts very creepy

Old November 1st, 2010, 2:42 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 View Post
Verdict- Boring and blasphemous. Polanksi disappoints this time. I'd say he's athiest but I suppose you can't have the devil without God
What? Making a movie about Satan means you're an atheist?

Old November 1st, 2010, 3:11 pm
Representative Homosexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 View Post
blasphemous
lol, that is the oddest description for a film I've heard here yet.

Old November 1st, 2010, 5:33 pm
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastaban43 View Post
lol, that is the oddest description for a film I've heard here yet.
Thanks, I try hard

Old November 1st, 2010, 6:18 pm
Banned

Peter Jackson's King Kong should have won Best Picture. That is all.

Old November 1st, 2010, 7:41 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeé & Scrambled Eggs

The Girl who played with Fire -- 6/10

It was an ok film, but I had expected better from the overall plot and script itself. Rather disappointing there. There were quite a few plot holes in the film itself (in terms of how certain characters got out of certain situations and stuff).

When Lisbeth got buried alive -- they failed to show how she was able to survive it and come out ok...

As for the dubbing, it was ok -- rather stilted at points -- but I was used to it, since the first film had this problem at times too. The only real thing that ticked me off was the fact that they seemed to be dumbing things down for the US audience in terms of what was going on and stuff. Both my mom and I noticed this as the plot went along.

It didn't seem as well put together as the first film was and it was rather disappointing there.

This and the somewhat weak plot and script are the main reasons why this movie gets such a low score from me.

As for the acting, I'd give the actors about an 8/10. They did a good job getting into character and did a better job than the writers and stuff this time around.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.

Last edited by Fawkesfan1; November 1st, 2010 at 7:45 pm.
Old November 2nd, 2010, 3:40 pm
Fourth Year

Dark Floors
aka The Lordi Movie

Okay.... I liked it, don't throw tomatoes.
However, I'm one of those people who find enigmatic endings frustrating and immediately hop onto the imdb boards and listen to film maker commentaries if they are available on the movie itself just to figure out what was really going on. And unfortunately there are multiple opinions on imdb... and no solid answer on the commentary. So, I'm stuck with pick and choosing among the theories.

Anyway, my rating. An unsure 8 on the fence of dropping down to a 7 because the lack of presense in the father character actor and the lack of definative answer of what is going on.

Old November 2nd, 2010, 3:54 pm
Registered Animagus

Zombieland.
It was ok, not great. Maybe it was because I couldn't help but compare it to Shaun of the Dead (which is a fantastic film, and pretty funny). In this movie the laughs were few and there was violence for the sake of it. Having said that, it was all pretty well done and the acting was good, it just wasn't all that compelling IMO. 6.5/10

Old November 3rd, 2010, 6:41 pm
Banned

Prisoner of Azkaban

It is such a step up from Columbus' work. It's excellent overall, but there is some stuff that should have been revised: the Knight Bus and Whomping Willow scenes. They both utilize humor and I'm not a fan of what was done. The floating head is really annoying and Harry's face slamming against the bus' window twice is a bit much. The Whomping Willow sequence is so stupid and exaggerated, though there is one great shot: one of the tree's stumps hitting the ground in the first person viewpoint. My favorite bit of the film is still The Shrieking Shack revelation. Gary Oldman rules as Sirius and Timothy Spall plays Pettigrew very well. I love his shivering after Harry says that the dementors can have him.

It is still inferior to Yates' work in my eyes and most likely always will be.

Old November 3rd, 2010, 9:00 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Frost/Nixon

Compelling stuff.

Old November 4th, 2010, 7:14 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeé & Scrambled Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AldeberanBlack View Post
Frost/Nixon

Compelling stuff.
Seconded. I really liked watching that movie.

I just saw How to Train a Dragon and Robin Hood and I really liked them both.

First...

The Dragon Whisperer, aka: How to train a Dragon

I saw this movie with my mom and I really loved it . It reminded me of the cartoons, spirit-wise -- that I grew up with.

The storyline, atmosphere and acting were all well done. The only other cartoon that I've seen movie wise as of late that has even come close has been Toy Story 3.

Both films were very spirited efforts... with Dragon beating out Toy Story somewhat in the graphics area. I was blown away by all the hard work that the special effects people did in this movie. A lot of things looked really realistic... such as the clouds, fire and the water for starters.

Overall -- this movie is worth the watch. There were many funny, heartfelt and wonderful moments in it and there's something for everyone.

I give it a score of 9/10.

------------------------------

Robin Hood (director's cut) -- 10/10

Just saw this movie with my mom and we both really liked it. Liked it so much in fact, that we hope to get a used copy of it on dvd someday.

The fact that they tried to make things as historically accurate as they could, really drew us into the movie itself. I just don't get why so many people put this movie down. Just because they decided to make this movie closer to what was going on during the period, doesn't make it any less of a movie.

The acting in this movie is pretty good -- with everyone putting in their best efforts. As for the cinematography, it was well done for the most part. They did a good job on it.

The storyline was interesting... seeing certain characters (Prince John and King Richard the Lion Hearted) in shades of grey -- instead of just in black and white... good and evil.

The chemistry between Robin Longstride and Maid Marian was wonderful from the start. And I loved that their relationship formed in a different way than in other Robin Hood movies.

They went from disliking each other -- to respect... to falling in love.

Overall -- this is one film I recommend people seeing at least once. Go in with an open mind -- and put the previous versions of Robin Hood movies aside. It's worth the watch.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.

Last edited by Fawkesfan1; November 6th, 2010 at 9:37 pm.
Old November 4th, 2010, 7:30 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkesfan1 View Post
I just don't get why so many people put this movie down.
Because it didn't contain the robbing and giving to the poor stuff and because it wasn't like the movies before it. The trailer itself shows it's an origin story. My only problem with the film is that it tacitly implies that taxation is bad.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion