Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion

The Woman in Black (starring Dan Radcliffe)

Old August 17th, 2011, 4:46 pm
Zonko's Employee

Re: The Woman in Black (starring Dan Radcliffe) - Oct 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhanax315 View Post
I just seen the teaser trailer for this and it looks great. I didn't know this was a novel as well, I'll have to check it out.
Susan Hill's novel is a masterclass in how to write a ghost story. It's elegantly written, geniunely creepy, and it will also break your heart.

The new film takes a lot of liberties with her book, but it does look to me like they have preserved the spirit of the tale.

And Dan, frankly, looks really good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikuStark View Post
Gahh. This movie looks creepy, those dolls and that creepy lady that came up from behind when he was looking out the window....
Yes, that is her.

And those dolls, OH MY WORD, those scary Victorian toys with their stary eyes ...

Quote:
Now this is what scary movies are. I'm sick of the gory slasher movies.
The more subtle the scares, the more effective they are. You can keep the gratuitous gore, thanks!

Last edited by Pearl_Took; August 17th, 2011 at 4:48 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old August 18th, 2011, 12:34 am
Registered Animagus

I love gory slasher movies, but also have a soft spot for this kind of creepy flick. The trailer doesn't really make the film look much different from other scary movies though. Some back story + creepy music +dark imagery + face paced splashes of action + bit that makes you jump at the end. Not that I don't like it! But I'll probably wait for the DVD.

Old August 18th, 2011, 2:55 am
First Year

Ooooo...looks good! When I was watching the trailer all I could think about was Dan as HP. =) That's all we know him as, KWIM? It will take me a while to get out of that mentality as more HP actors/actresses move on in the movie / television world.

Old August 29th, 2011, 3:27 pm
Fourth Year

As much as I want to see Dan in a non-HP role, I don't know if I can watch this one. I'm such a baby when it comes to scary movies and creepy scary movies are the WORST for me. I have an overactive imagination as it is. My husband asked me if I was going to see it and I said probably not--but this sort of movie is right up his alley, so I'm going to encourage him to go see this when it comes out.

Old August 30th, 2011, 1:49 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hysteria View Post
The trailer doesn't really make the film look much different from other scary movies though.
The trailer does make use of a lot of horror cliches but it does it with such panache.

New poster:

http://www.sfx.co.uk/2011/08/25/woman-in-black-poster/

Old August 31st, 2011, 7:47 pm
First Year

I hate horror movies, but this looks good. It looks like it has more of a plot than just kill 'em all. I'll probably watch it. What's the rating for the movie?

Admiral Shieldy, a proud member of the Pottermore Battalion. And the one with the best internet!

Signature picture by Nikky.
Proud Ravenpuff/Huffleclaw
Old September 1st, 2011, 7:44 pm
P.A. to Lucius Malfoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl_Took View Post
That effect of creating a black and desolute abyss for the eyes tends to give me the creeps!

Old September 2nd, 2011, 8:11 am
First Year

The trailers freak me out but the film itself looks decent.

Old September 25th, 2011, 4:29 pm
Fourth Year

The poster is wonderful!

I'm contemplating choosing the book for my book group - not certain how a group of mainly retired women would cope with it.......

I'll probably try and see the film if I can find the courage - whether I can sleep afterwards will be another matter - I'm another non-horror film goer!

Old October 14th, 2011, 2:53 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkiedoodle View Post
I'm contemplating choosing the book for my book group - not certain how a group of mainly retired women would cope with it.......
Maybe a little excitement would do them good.

I'd never heard of the book or movie until just recently, and I'm a huge horror fanatic. I just got the book and can't wait to plow through it, and this is definitely a movie I'm tempted to check out at the theaters, although I'm a huge Netflix addict and usually just wait for the DVD.

I'm fine with gore, but I don't think it ever adds anything to the scare factor, and I haven't gotten to see a really good scary movie in a very long time. This one looks like a winner! It has everything - dead woman, creepy old mansion, toys....

When I'm 80 years old and sitting in my rocking chair, I'll be reading Harry Potter.
My family will say to me, “After all this time?
And I will say, “Always.
- source unknown
Old October 15th, 2011, 4:34 am
Mrs Gilbert Grape

Re: The Woman in Black (starring Dan Radcliffe) - Feb 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl_Took View Post
The trailer does make use of a lot of horror cliches but it does it with such panache.

New poster:

http://www.sfx.co.uk/2011/08/25/woman-in-black-poster/
How did I miss this poster? Everything I've been seeing/hearing about this movie is getting me really excited.

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old October 25th, 2011, 11:38 am
Zonko's Employee

Sneak peek of the film:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py2FrQuOSDw

And the official UK trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPYMU...eature=related

Dan looks and sounds good in this.

Still not sure if I will be brave enough to see it ...

Last edited by Pearl_Took; October 25th, 2011 at 12:16 pm.
Old October 25th, 2011, 4:41 pm
Fourth Year

I've nominated the book for our book reading group in january - so hopefully I will be fully prepared for the film in February!

Old November 22nd, 2011, 3:43 pm
First Year

i have been reading up on this movie, because i wanna see it and it looks so fascinating! but i noticed that the film versions are a lot different from the book. is this one going to be similar to the novel at all?

Old November 22nd, 2011, 3:50 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by HpScr1bePhan View Post
i have been reading up on this movie, because i wanna see it and it looks so fascinating! but i noticed that the film versions are a lot different from the book. is this one going to be similar to the novel at all?
I've read spoilers for this latest film treatment and it is clear that Jane Goldman's screenplay makes a lot of departures from Susan Hill's novel. I'm expecting this to be a very classy, and very unnerving, Gothic chiller. If they get The Woman (and her motives) right, then the spirit of the tale will be preserved, at least.

I've read the novel and think very highly of it. It's deeply eerie and very, very sad. I also saw the ITV adaptation of 1989, which was pretty faithful to the book, but also much more frightening. The TV film scared me so much I've never been able to face seeing the stage play! I seriously wonder if even this new film can top that old ITV film for sheer, icy menace.

Old January 10th, 2012, 12:09 pm
P.A. to Lucius Malfoy

Re: The Woman in Black (starring Dan Radcliffe) - Feb 3rd 2012

A cool Woman in Black set visit and interview with Dan Radcliffe:

Spoiler: show
The Woman in BlackDaniel shared about the story behind the film, “It is an incredible story, I mean it’s a story about. What’s interesting is that it’s just not a story about an out and out horror movie. It’s still very much character driven and it’s about lost and family and the main theme is about how different people deal with death and I mean my character is somebody that has just after the death of his wife at a young age, has become totally detached from the world and disconnected from all his relationships with his son, with his work, from everything whereas the woman in black, who is as you say a terrifying character, has become after the death of her son becomes kind of vengeful and murderous from beyond the grave.”

The dolls, Daniel says, are “creepy Victoriana toys and dolls and things. Some which are I think are worth about 20 grand. [So, yes] We’ve been very very careful and treading very lightly as we go around the set.”

Credit to and further details at JustJaredJr.

Last edited by Annielogic; January 10th, 2012 at 12:12 pm.
Old February 4th, 2012, 4:17 am
Mrs Gilbert Grape

Yeah I wasn't too impressed with this movie. It wasn't at all scary and what was going on with Radcliffe's eyes and facial expressions?

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old February 13th, 2012, 10:15 am
Zonko's Employee

Well, I enjoyed it. A very handsome Gothic fantasy. I thought the film was creepy for its rating. However, it didn't frighten me the way the old ITV adaptation of 1989 did. That will always remain for me the most frightening thing ever.

I thought Dan did well. He convinced me as a grieving young widower: his Athur is also quite the hero. The presence of Ciaran Hinds also greatly aided the film.

And that mega-Gothic house was FABULOUS.

Loved the camera work with shadows, mirrors and candlelight.

Spoilery comparisons between the new film, the 1989 TV film and the book

The 2012 Woman works best when we just catch glimpses of her. I didn't care for the 'Ringu' type closeups: she actually lost her impact for me. Less is more! Whereas the 1989 Woman really scared me, and that was without any special effects at all: she first appears silently at the back of a cold church during Alice Drablow's bleak funeral and stares malevolently at Arthur, and that was enough to send an icy shiver of fear down my spine. And she just got scarier, and nastier, from then on.

I liked how the new Arthur, being a bereaved person himself, felt empathy for the ghost. I also liked hearing Jennet's voice, full of pain and bitterness, as Arthur read her letters to her sister.

I loved Janet McTeer's performance, as the barking mad Elizabeth Daily, but it was a very obvious plot device (and didn't actually make much sense) to have her channel several spirits all at once: not just Jennet's but some of the dead children's.

The ending of the book is quietly devastating. The ending of the ITV film has a ghastly, dreadful inevitability. Jane Goldman chose a more sentimental, bittersweet ending for the new film adaptation. I liked it, being a rather sentimental sort myself, and felt it worked well. It does have a note of ambiguity.

Susan Hill's story is powerful because you actually pity the ghost as well as fear her. It's a tale of loss and pain and unfinished business.

Old February 16th, 2012, 6:44 am
Sixth Year

Re: The Woman in Black (starring Dan Radcliffe)

I was dissapointed in the movie. I felt it was incredibly cheesey and I was sad, because I wanted it to be so much more. It was so by the numbers, you could predict exactly what would happen next. And instead of being terrified, I was bored.

However, I though Dan was great. I almost forgot him as Harry Potter, and isn't that what's important? He can do this. He can shake Harry Potter off and move into a greater career. Little darlin's . Wow. How's that gonna be?

Best 3 word descriptor for The Woman In Black? CREEPY VICTORIAN TOYS

Old February 17th, 2012, 5:43 am
Leader of the GLITTELUTION

Re: The Woman in Black (starring Dan Radcliffe)

Saw it today. Now, I've never read the book or seen any other version, so I went into this not knowing what to expect. I mostly wanted to see how well Dan does outside of HP.

I was overall impressed with his performance. There were moments that didn't work for me, but most of the time I could believe this was Arthur, and not Dan or Harry.

The film itself struck me as a little generic: man arrives at a village, is warned by the villagers not to approach that spooky house, but he has business there and doesn't entirely believe in supernatural stuff, so he goes anyway. Might as well be the first scene from Dracula.

But, of course, after being confronted with heaps of proof, he changes his mind about the existence of ghosts. But the proof itself was kind of unimpressive. Maybe I've seen too many contemporary horror films, but a lot of the time, I could tell when something creepy was trying to sneak up on us. And 90% of the creepy stuff was just images flashing in front of Dan's eyes accompanied by sharp, loud note. It was effective, but it's been done. A lot.

You notice they also pull a "Ring" on us by having the protagonist think he's calmed the ghost's spirit, when, really, it can't be stopped? I wasn't as fooled by it this time because the ghost made no show of being calmed-- she just screamed in Dan's face and left the child's body untouched. I thought it was an interesting part of the film nonetheless: it suggests that although mankind attempts to control the spirit world (through séances, etc.) it's something entirely beyond us.

I enjoyed how the characters explored the topics of loss, the supernatural, and the strength of human feelings. I also liked seeing from time to time that hand-made caldendar Arthur was carrying around in his pocket. For me, it served as both a sentimental reminder of his love for his son and a ticking time bomb, counting down the days until the son enter's the Woman in Black's domain.

One additional thing I enjoyed was the scenery. The swamp was an amazing sight, and the garden and house at once lovely and eerie. I thought they made good use of those areas.

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION
Looking for a home away from home?
Hogsmeade ~ Apparate.me
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion