Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion

The Woman in Black (starring Dan Radcliffe)

Old July 27th, 2010, 2:08 pm
Zonko's Employee

The Woman in Black (starring Dan Radcliffe)

I cannot see a thread for this. And thanks to Annielogic for the heads-up!

This is a good career move for Dan:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/h...-in-Black.html

I think this is good casting. Dan is a tad young for Kipps, but he has the right personality for the role.

The director is James Watkins, who made the very disturbing Eden Lake (which I refused to see) and the screenwriter is Jane Goldman, who wrote the screenplay for Kick ***.

I hope they don't 'shlock' up this story too much. They don't need to. There is no violence or gore in The Woman in Black, but it is very, very scary. Dan's comments on Goldman's script sound promising.

Background: The Woman in Black is a 1983 ghost story written by English novelist Susan Hill. Hill is a prolific writer and this is her most famous novel. It’s been a hugely successful stage production in London for over 20 years and school students study the story as a set text.

I must confess I’ve never been brave enough to read Hill’s novel or see the stage play! Because In 1989, ITV made a two-hour feature film of it, which scared me senseless. But the story is very powerful and sucked me in and then I had to see what happened next …!! The menace is introduced ever so subtly and then it builds and builds to a heart-shattering climax. It’s a story of gut-wrenching tragedy and a ghost driven by an icy desire for revenge.

Don’t expect gore or violence. There is none.

Don’t be fooled by the gentle English locations. In fact, they’re pretty spooky. Eel House is situated on a lonely causeway on the marshlands, surrounded by mist and bog …

But trust me when I say this film really ought, by rights, to be one of the scariest ever made.

And to make it all the more effective, they need to keep it very English and restrained, as the TV film did. It was no less frightening for that.

Last edited by Pearl_Took; July 27th, 2010 at 2:27 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old July 27th, 2010, 2:31 pm
Registered Animagus

Re: The Woman in Black (starring Dan Radcliffe)

I will definitely see this movie. Perhaps not in theaters, but definitely on DVD. I've never heard of the book or the stage play, or the tv film, but this does sound to be very good.

I like my fair share of scary movies, so this definitely interests me. And the fact that Daniel Radcliffe will be in it just interests me more.

Old July 27th, 2010, 8:09 pm
Sixth Year

I'm definitely interested in seeing it. I'd never heard of it before DanRad was announced to be in it. He is the main reason I want to see it. I think I'm gonna try to find the book or even a copy of the film.

Old August 1st, 2010, 11:20 pm
Fourth Year

The thing about this movie that makes me scratch my head is that it's gonna be shot in 3D...
Just can't picture the gothic and gentle English atmosphere in...3D.

Old August 2nd, 2010, 12:27 pm
Zonko's Employee

Well ... yes, Klaus. It will be a Hammer Horror production.

The 1989 film is deeply chilling precisely because of the lack of special effects. The realism of the production made it all much more frightening.

At any rate, I doubt I will be seeing it, intrigued as I am.

Because there is NO WAY I would be be able to handle the ghost of Jennet Humfrye in 3D.

Katana, the 1989 ITV film has been posted up YouTube. Apparently copies of the DVD are hard to come by, although I found a US import on amazon.co.uk.

All I can say is: once seen, never forgotten.

Old August 2nd, 2010, 7:28 pm
Sixth Year

^Thanks Pearl!
I checked out amazon.com and I'm probably going to get the book, but the movie is too expensive. They're all sold used and the cheapest DVD is $75 and for VHS it's $30. :\ I'm not going to pay thirty bucks for a used VHS :\
So I'll check it out on YouTube.

Another thing I liked is that Pearl, in your first post, you said there is no gore or violence. I'm not a big fan of gory horror movies. The blood and gore don't do much to scare me, just gross me out.

Old August 5th, 2010, 3:34 am
Second Year

Daniel is fantastic , absolutely amazing , this movie is only the begining , I read he starts filming in October Im super excited about Dan in a scary movie

Old August 17th, 2010, 11:21 pm
Seventh Year

I'm very excited about seeing this, especially since i saw this play in London in the fortune theatre a few years ago and loved it. It will be good to see how its done, I think Dan will be a good Arthur Kipps. I look forward to this!

''Dear Professor Snape,
Dude...It's called Shampoo.
Love Anomoulous xX''

Ways to Annoy Snape...Wink at him evertime you catch his eye

Come and Guess The Screenshot!!! http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=110197
Old August 18th, 2010, 5:05 pm
Curse Breaker

I--well, it is a good play and I've seen it performed well. I'm not sure the Ambrose Bearce ending (or the central recurring arc) will translate all that well to film.
Spoiler: show
Unless it's a film of them putting on a play and then Kipps goes home to find his family dead.

No worries. No spoilers here.

Last edited by Hes; March 3rd, 2011 at 1:06 pm. Reason: spoiler tags added
Old August 26th, 2010, 6:22 am
(Still) The Nicest Guy Ever.

Being a Netflix member, there are usually only a few movies that I will venture to see at the box office. By those involved, from what I have heard about this movie, and from my interest in Harry Potter actors, post HP, however, I might go see it in theaters. It would be interesting to see an HP actor in a role that is such a departure from their HP role.

Check out TheDailyExcuse for icons, graphics, and additional exciting items!

No Vampires Included.....well maybe a few.

Occasionally you need to jump off a cliff and do things you know are not immediately within your grasp.
Old November 5th, 2010, 3:09 pm
Zonko's Employee

Re: The Woman in Black (starring Dan Radcliffe) - 2011

First glimpse of Dan as Arthur Kipps

http://justjared.buzznet.com/2010/09...ck-first-look/

Dan looks very good in this part.

Perhaps we can keep spoilers out of the thread for now?

Because both the stage play and the ITV feature film of 1989 (which terrified me!) make changes from Susan Hill's original novel, and we don't know yet which way the screenplay for this will go.

Old March 3rd, 2011, 1:02 pm
Zonko's Employee

Re: The Woman in Black (starring Dan Radcliffe) - 2011

New still:

http://www.bscreview.com/2011/02/new...-in-black-pic/

And a nice clip on YouTube, a clip from the BBC about the renaissance of Hammer Horror films and featuring a glimpse of the Woman in Black teaser poster (great poster!) and showing Dan filming and talking (briefly) about the film:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q0bzn3mlIo

Just learned an interesting fact: in the 1989 TV film, Arthur was played by Adrian Rawlins, who plays James Potter in the HP films!

Note: If you've read Susan Hill's book or seen the stage play, can you kindly NOT post spoilers about the plot. Thanks!

Last edited by Pearl_Took; March 4th, 2011 at 11:40 am.
Old April 10th, 2011, 8:25 pm
Registered Animagus

Re: The Woman in Black (starring Dan Radcliffe) - Oct 2011

New teaser trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9vpt...layer_embedded

Old April 18th, 2011, 12:21 pm
Zonko's Employee

Better resolution, from the official site:

http://thewomaninblack-movie.com/

OK, that is creepy.

Those scary, scary eyes in the zoetrope ... and the hand on his shoulder. *eeek* Dan as Kipps looks genuinely freaked out. I would be, too.

Not sure about the music. It is very menacing, sure, but ever so slightly over the top, a bit 'shlocky-horror'. (Yes, I know this is not the official film score, just trailer music. ) The score for the 1989 Woman in Black was more subtle and poignant than that, but really eerie. ETA: The score for the 1989 WiB was composed by Rachel Portman, award-winning British composer.

Shlocky-horror usually doesn't scare me. I find it unpleasant, but not overly frightening. The two scariest films I've ever seen -- the 1989 Woman in Black and the 1961 film The Innocents -- have no violence at all, but an incredible atmosphere of icy menace that builds inexorably to a terrifying climax.

Some interesting info on the Susan Hill novel:

http://www.susan-hill.com/index.php?...d=56&Itemid=52

Last edited by Pearl_Took; April 18th, 2011 at 5:06 pm.
Old May 14th, 2011, 3:53 am
Fifth Year

I remember the 1983 movie... there's one scene my husband loves to re-enact, which scares the living daylights out of me even to this day. EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!! If you've seen the movie, you know the scene I mean. Yikes.

I can't wait to see this one. Dan has the slightly consumptive look of Kipp, and I think will be quite believable. I must find the book...

Oh, and as for non-gory scare-fests, I encourage everyone to find a way to see 1963's The Haunting, directed by Robert Wise, starring Julie Harris. That one still scares the bejabers out of me. It's based on Shirley Jackson's The Haunting of Hill House, which by itself is a pretty scary story.

Staunch Defender of Severus Snape
Proud Member of House Slytherin

LightMahogany27 -- Slytherin
Redwood wand with unicorn hair core
10 3/4 inches, unyielding

Check out my fanfiction, in collaboration with Sinistra_Furze: A Trip To Remember

Snape lives IMHO
Old May 16th, 2011, 10:25 am
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadiraSnape View Post
I remember the 1983 movie... there's one scene my husband loves to re-enact, which scares the living daylights out of me even to this day. EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!! If you've seen the movie, you know the scene I mean. Yikes.
Ohhhhhhh yes, I do. *whimpers* Terrifying. (Mummy!)

The TV film was made in 1989, actually. I've never been brave enough to read Susan Hill's novel or see the stage play because the TV version scared me so much. It's also a deeply tragic story as well as a scary one.

Quote:
I can't wait to see this one. Dan has the slightly consumptive look of Kipp, and I think will be quite believable.
I agree. I think it's good casting.

By the way, the new film is now scheduled for release in February 2012. And I came across major spoilers for it because I found the blog of a man who reviews film scripts and he gave a very detailed review of Jane Goldman's script for this movie. It makes major departures from canon. I wonder how Susan Hill will feel about that! -- she got snippy about the relatively minor changes made in the 1989 adaptation.
However, it sounds just as frightening as her original story. So I am not still sure I will be brave enough to see it.

Spoilers below:

Spoiler: show
Sounds like the film treatment takes Jennet's motives and methodology in a rather different direction, and as if the new film will be more full-on horror than the more subtle approach of the TV film -- which, while subtle, was still utterly terrifying. The new film does sound incredibly disturbing, though ... perhaps more like Nicolas Roeg's films, his Don't Look Now is seriously frightening.

I really hope that the new film doesn't dilute the crucial plot point that Jennet was a birth mother who was forced to give up her child and then suffered a second terrible blow when her little boy drowned in front of her. This is the terrible secret that fuels her dreadful desire for revenge on other parents and children and which transforms her into a malevolent spirit from beyond the grave. In Jane Goldman's script, Jennet is described as a 'scorned woman' ... I really hope it is explained fully why she is, and that she isn't just this demonic entity wreaking havoc on the children and families of Cryffin Gifford just because she can.

Because while Jennet is beyond doubt the scariest ghost I've ever seen -- she'd put the wind up Dementors and Balrogs!! -- she is also the most tragic. She is horrifying, but you totally understand her back story. That's the great power of Susan Hill's story.

Old May 20th, 2011, 1:48 am
Registered Animagus

The U.S. Release date for The Woman In Black is: January 20, 2012

http://www.snitchseeker.com/harry-po...dcliffe-81806/

Old August 17th, 2011, 1:20 pm
Zonko's Employee

New official trailer.

Nothing scares me like scary toys ... *wibble*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dA8SNTGBeSs

Old August 17th, 2011, 4:00 pm
Mrs Gilbert Grape

I just seen the teaser trailer for this and it looks great. I didn't know this was a novel as well, I'll have to check it out.

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old August 17th, 2011, 4:04 pm
Fourth Year

Gahh. This movie looks creepy, those dolls and that creepy lady that came up from behind when he was looking out the window....Now this is what scary movies are. I'm sick of the gory slasher movies.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion