Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion

Batman 3 - The Dark Knight Rises

Old January 19th, 2011, 8:24 pm
Seventh Year

Re: Batman 3 - The Dark Knight Rises

I've never particularly liked the idea of Catwoman being the female lead in this film, so I'm a little disappointed there. That said, in Nolan I trust, and I think Anne Hathaway is really good casting. Tom Hardy playing Bane is the really surprising one, though - it's not his casting (after his turn in Bronson, it's no stretch to see him as Bane) so much as it is the very use of Bane, a character I never would have thought Nolan would employ.

ETA: I've long thought (long before Nolan or Zack Snyder came onboard) that Anne Hathaway would be the perfect Lois Lane for a Superman reboot. Now, Nolan's not in charge of the casting of the upcoming Superman, he's just a producer, Snyder's directing - but I wonder if Hathaway's casting here as Catwoman makes her more or less likely to get that role. If she's even being considered for it.

Last edited by IenjoyAcidPops; January 19th, 2011 at 10:09 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old January 19th, 2011, 9:08 pm
Registered Animagus

I am extremely happy with this news. I am definitely interested in how Nolan will handle Catwoman and Bane.

Anne Hathaway will make a very interesting Catwoman.

Old January 20th, 2011, 4:53 am
Squee-worthy

Huh. I don't see Anne Hathaway as Catwoman, but I don't think I could have seen Ledger as The Joker either, so maybe it'll turn out well. I just hope it doesn't lose the realism that the first two have had.

Old January 20th, 2011, 5:30 am
Zonko's Employee

This is really, really interesting news! It's exciting because she's the last person you'd think as Catwoman! It makes me excited to think how Nolan is going to handle her character. I didn't think Ledger was the best choice either before seeing Dark Knight so I'm thrilled. I can't wait! I like Anne Hatahway too and she's a great actress.

Hufflepuff through and through! On COS and Pottermore!
Fair, Just, Loyal and unafraid of Toil

Old January 20th, 2011, 6:04 am
The Next Great Adventurer

Given the way Bane's character was butchered in the past I'm not looking forward to it although I'm interested to see how they rescue Catwoman from the travesty that was the Pfeiffer incarnation.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old January 20th, 2011, 3:43 pm
Member of the Order

I wonder if the term "Cat Woman" will even be used. We may see a reinvention of Bane the same way the Joker was reinvented.

And I heard that "Talia" is being cast for the 4th movie.

All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

---Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Million Dollar Baby)
Old January 20th, 2011, 4:46 pm
Assistant to Minister Granger

*sigh* I wish Anne Hathaway wouldn't play Catwoman. Aren't there enough gorgeous starlets who could do that? I want to see her on screen and I'm not seeing Batman, so...

Old January 20th, 2011, 6:16 pm
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightsfire View Post
And I heard that "Talia" is being cast for the 4th movie.
Um, Nolan said this was the last one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoana
I want to see her on screen and I'm not seeing Batman, so...
Huh? No plans to see it? I'm sorry but I don't get what you're saying here. Why you in this thread if you don't watch even these movies?

I've been wrongly sorted into Gryffindor!
Old January 20th, 2011, 7:17 pm
Queen of Apathy

Every member is free to place their opinion last I checked. Let's all please be respectful to one another.

Old January 21st, 2011, 12:03 am
Secret Keeper

I wasn't saying she doesn't...merely pointing out that it's a contradictory statement and asking if she could clarify her intent.

Old January 21st, 2011, 1:27 am
Member of the Order

I don't know if this is genuine or not, but someone created this image;

Hm..Not bad.

All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

---Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Million Dollar Baby)
Old January 21st, 2011, 1:48 am
Hiding under Johnny's bed...

Quote:
I wonder if the term "Cat Woman" will even be used.
I was wondering that, too. The actual press release said that Hathaway has been cast as "Selina Kyle," not mentioning her alter ego "Catwoman." I was wondering where Nolan is drawing his inspiration--from the later comics where she is Catwoman or from the earlier ones where she isn't in a costume but is a jewel theif/cat burglar.

Old January 21st, 2011, 3:27 am

Quote:
I wonder if the term "Cat Woman" will even be used. We may see a reinvention of Bane the same way the Joker was reinvented.
Bane was re-invented in his last movie outing. Instead of Batman's most dangerous foes he was reduced to an inarticulate thug. I'd like to see the comic book Bane.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

Old January 21st, 2011, 8:13 am
Assistant to Minister Granger

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 View Post
Huh? No plans to see it? I'm sorry but I don't get what you're saying here. Why you in this thread if you don't watch even these movies?
I heard about Hathaway playing Catwoman. I came to express my disappointment because I really like her and I want to see her in films I have some interest in. Batman is not such a film. That was all.

Old January 21st, 2011, 9:42 am
Secret Keeper

Hmm, still not doubting Nolan but Anne's casting is very interesting given what I just read here-

http://www.topnews.in/anne-hathaway-...ctress-2301665

Quote:
Hollywood beauty Anne Hathaway claims that she is very shy and calm in real life and found it very tough to play the seductive character of Maggie Murdock in her latest release Love and Other Drugs.

Her character in the film was overtly sexual and she found it not very comfortable to play. Apart from this, Maggie was supposed to be very funny, angry and smart and it is not an easy job to combine all these traits in one character. Anne says that it was very challenging for her but exciting at the same time. She was only scared of the sexuality of her character.
I kinda got that feeling about her...which is why the choice struck me as odd at first. Marion Cotillard seems much more the seductive type...however I was not aware of her pregnancy so it makes perfect sense now why she's not jumping back in for another with Nolan

Last edited by lcbaseball22; January 21st, 2011 at 9:44 am.
Old January 21st, 2011, 6:31 pm
Queen of Apathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
Bane was re-invented in his last movie outing. Instead of Batman's most dangerous foes he was reduced to an inarticulate thug. I'd like to see the comic book Bane.
Yeah I want comic book Bane too. I am curious if Catwoman and Bane are the only villains we will see? There were all those rumors about the Riddler.

Old January 21st, 2011, 7:35 pm
Squee-worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
I'm not sure I would. The things I loved about the first two movies was that the villains were, in a sense, realistic. And that is the trend I'd like to see continue, not some villain with superpowers, but one more like the Joker, simply a madman with a few explosives and thugs.

ETA: about the Riddler the only rumor I heard about him was that he'd be played by Joseph Gordon Levitt, but I think that was nothing more than a rumor. It seems we're only getting Catwoman and Bane, which is too bad. I think the Riddler would have been more appropriate in this series than Bane.

Last edited by Lord Godric; January 21st, 2011 at 7:39 pm.
Old January 21st, 2011, 9:21 pm
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysme View Post
There were all those rumors about the Riddler.
Yeah, however Nolan explicitly said The Riddler would not be in his final film, so unless he's pulling a fast one, yeah no Riddler...

I would have loved to seen Johnny Depp, Jude Law, or Joseph Gordon Levitt as The Riddler...but then it might have been too similar to The Joker so I guess I can see why Nolan did not opt for that villain. As for what was chosen...well I know very little about Bane, but "one of Batman's most intelligent and physically powerful foes" sounds intriguing. And Catwoman should bring some much needed sex appeal.

Last edited by lcbaseball22; January 21st, 2011 at 9:59 pm.
Old January 21st, 2011, 9:49 pm
Queen of Apathy

Yeah a few months back I had heard the rumor of Johnny Depp playing The Riddler. Personally I would have loved to see that. So now I guess we can hope for the best with Bane and Catwoman.

Old January 22nd, 2011, 1:10 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Godric View Post
I'm not sure I would. The things I loved about the first two movies was that the villains were, in a sense, realistic. And that is the trend I'd like to see continue, not some villain with superpowers, but one more like the Joker, simply a madman with a few explosives and thugs.
Bane does not have super powers as such. His massive strength is derived from the chemical compound known as venom. Even with Venom his greatest strength is his intellect.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion