Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion

Batman 3 - The Dark Knight Rises

Old October 28th, 2010, 9:21 pm
Squee-worthy

Re: Batman 3

I read something about how Nolan was looking for a female lead. This could just be a replacement for Rachel but it also could be a villain, could it not? Poison Ivy, Harley Quinn, Catwoman are all well known female villains that he could use. I'm hoping he keeps the story more grounded in reality like the previous two have been, so I don't think I would want Poison Ivy unless he could somehow make her realistic and not a fantasy villain. I think a lot of people are rooting for Catwoman, I'm not sure what I think of that, but I trust whatever Nolan does the film will be fantastic.

Sponsored Links
Old October 28th, 2010, 10:01 pm
Curse Breaker

Re: Batman 3 - The Dark Knight Rises

A female villain done well would be very interesting and would address the only weakness in the series so far. I'm hoping for an excellently realized Catwoman, but if it is Selena Kyle--they'll need another strong male villain to set this up.

No worries. No spoilers here.
Old October 28th, 2010, 10:48 pm
Secret Keeper

Hmm, I see someone changed the title for me.

Anyways, I agree with what's being said about a female villain, and villains in general. It needs to be grounded in reality so no Poison Ivy.

BTW, a few recent articles DO mention meeting with actresses for the part of a female lead...

http://www.collider.com/2010/10/26/b...s-female-lead/

http://www.totalfilm.com/news/is-chr...n-for-batman-3

http://movies.sky.com/nolan-hunting-...an-3s-catwoman

I'd love to see Marion Cotillard as Catwoman. I think she's my #1 choice now. The French accent could be odd, but it's seductive so it fits.

However the articles say late 20's to early 30's...so Cotillard at 35 may not be in the running. And I guess that puts Charlize Theron and Kate Beckinsale out of the running as well? Hmm, so who's an attractive actress in that age range that also acts well? Jessica Biel maybe?

EDIT: Here's some names...but a strange list cause they put Kristen Stewart #1- http://community.livejournal.com/ohn.../47690760.html

Well Emily Blunt, Anne Hathaway, and Natalie Portman are the only names that stand out to me. Maybe ScarJo as well, but she's mid 20's.

I've been wrongly sorted into Gryffindor!

Last edited by lcbaseball22; October 28th, 2010 at 11:53 pm.
Old October 30th, 2010, 6:03 am
Second Year

I am pleased with the title and even more oleased they will NOT be using the Ridler character why? Because people were so dead set that it would be the Riddler and I think they only wanted him as a direct reaction ot the Joker since they are a bit similar. I am pleased Nolan is doing what he feels is right and not letting hype and spectacle from fan-boy/fan-girls dictate his story.

Old November 5th, 2010, 9:14 am
Secret Keeper

I'm sure this'll probably be another false rumour but this article has me confused- http://www.nerdles.com/2010/11/04/so...arlize-theron/

Isn't Clayface one of the more supernatural villains? Doesn't seem like it would fit Nolan's "realistic" Batman universe. It would be interesting though for Tom Hardy to play a shapeshifting villain considering his role in Inception. BTW, I so hope the Charlize Theron rumor is true.

Ok, so main talk surrounding this film obviously is villain(s)...which one(s) will Nolan choose? Hmm, would be cool if we could get a poll.

I'm not terribly familiar with the Batman universe though...what are the options? These are like the only ones I know off the top of my head

Male

Scarecrow (used in Begins and TDK, though I won't be surprised if Cillian Murphy shows up once again)
Ra's Al Ghul (used in Begins and was killed, though I suppose his gang of criminals could make a return)
The Joker (he was of course used in TDK and I think many would be upset (myself included) if reprised)
Two-Face (could have been a good choice but Nolan already killed off Harvey Dent in TDK)
The Riddler (already been shot down...confirmed not in unless Nolan is pulling a fast one)
Penguin (too laughable)
Clayface (supernatural)
Mr. Freeze (I forget, is he supernatural too?)

Female

Catwoman
Poison Ivy
Harley Quinn

As many have said it'd be a nice change to have a female villain (and real sex appeal) this time...but aside from Catwoman, who else?

I mean Poison Ivy is obviously another supernatural character and Harley Quinn is associated with the Joker whom Nolan confirmed is not being reprised, right? Now it might have been cool to have Harley Quinn seek vengeance...but isn't that hard to do when her connection to Joker hasn't been established in Nolan's films? I suppose she could still be introduced as a lover seeking revenge, but that seems cheap.

Anyways, you guys come up with some characters and I'll see if we can get a poll added

Last edited by lcbaseball22; November 5th, 2010 at 9:46 am.
Old November 5th, 2010, 12:52 pm
The Next Great Adventurer

Talia al Ghul would be a great addition, especially given her ambiguous status as sometimes fighting on both sides or the Huntress. There's plenty of good female characters in the Bat universe, often more complex than the men.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old November 8th, 2010, 6:36 pm
Secret Keeper

check out this fail in news reports...

Last edited by lcbaseball22; November 8th, 2010 at 6:40 pm.
Old November 10th, 2010, 8:11 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 View Post
I'm sure this'll probably be another false rumour but this article has me confused- http://www.nerdles.com/2010/11/04/so...arlize-theron/

Isn't Clayface one of the more supernatural villains? Doesn't seem like it would fit Nolan's "realistic" Batman universe. It would be interesting though for Tom Hardy to play a shapeshifting villain considering his role in Inception. BTW, I so hope the Charlize Theron rumor is true.

Ok, so main talk surrounding this film obviously is villain(s)...which one(s) will Nolan choose? Hmm, would be cool if we could get a poll.

I'm not terribly familiar with the Batman universe though...what are the options? These are like the only ones I know off the top of my head

Male

Scarecrow (used in Begins and TDK, though I won't be surprised if Cillian Murphy shows up once again)
Ra's Al Ghul (used in Begins and was killed, though I suppose his gang of criminals could make a return)
The Joker (he was of course used in TDK and I think many would be upset (myself included) if reprised)
Two-Face (could have been a good choice but Nolan already killed off Harvey Dent in TDK)
The Riddler (already been shot down...confirmed not in unless Nolan is pulling a fast one)
Penguin (too laughable)
Clayface (supernatural)
Mr. Freeze (I forget, is he supernatural too?)

Female

Catwoman
Poison Ivy
Harley Quinn

As many have said it'd be a nice change to have a female villain (and real sex appeal) this time...but aside from Catwoman, who else?

I mean Poison Ivy is obviously another supernatural character and Harley Quinn is associated with the Joker whom Nolan confirmed is not being reprised, right? Now it might have been cool to have Harley Quinn seek vengeance...but isn't that hard to do when her connection to Joker hasn't been established in Nolan's films? I suppose she could still be introduced as a lover seeking revenge, but that seems cheap.

Anyways, you guys come up with some characters and I'll see if we can get a poll added
You're limiting how someone could envision a character. Regardez this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joker_%28graphic_novel%29 where the design for the Joker seems to predate TDK, perhaps not in conception but still I remember reading about this long ago. Also one has to consider the straight to video animation of Gotham Knights which is supposed to have 6 stories take place between the events of BB and TDK which might not have supernatural elements but more superheroic elements. Etc. etc.

Old November 14th, 2010, 11:40 am
Member of the Order

Dark Knight will emloy a female villain

Deadline Hollywood reports “The Dark Knight Rises” will feature two female leads – a romantic interest for Bruce Wayne and a villain.

According to Deadline, the six actresses meeting writer-director Christopher Nolan about these two roles are said to be:
Anne Hathaway
Keira Knightley
Blake Lively
Natalie Portman
Naomi Watts
Rachel Weisz
So no Amy Adams, Rachel McAdams, Kate Beckinsale, Emily Blunt, Elizabeth Banks, Evangeline Lilly, Maggie Grace, Lucy Liu or Sean Young.

All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

---Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Million Dollar Baby)
Old November 14th, 2010, 11:47 am
Assistant to Minister Granger

^ Except for Rachel Weisz, these are the same actors being considered for the role of Daisy Buchanan in the new adaptation of The Great Gatsby. It seems actors, like TV shows or songs or product lines, go in and out of fashion.

I really hope it's not Anne Hathaway. I love her and I'd rather not see her in tired cliches.

Old November 14th, 2010, 11:57 am
Secret Keeper

Is this more official? Deadline doesn't usually do rumours, do they?

Honestly I would be happy with any of those names; my top pick being Natalie Portman, though I don't know if I can see her fitting into the Batman universe. At least not as Catwoman...she's certainly attractive but I can't see her doing a seductive villain role. I still think I'd like to see Marion Cottilard as Catwoman* but that doesn't seem to be likely anymore. Plus, who knows if Catwoman will even be in it

* isn't she puuurfect?

Marion Cotillard:    

Last edited by lcbaseball22; January 19th, 2011 at 8:18 pm.
Old November 15th, 2010, 9:33 pm
Queen of Apathy

I am actually hoping for Harley Quinn. Catwoman would be so predictable.

Old November 15th, 2010, 9:58 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeé & Scrambled Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysme View Post
I am actually hoping for Harley Quinn. Catwoman would be so predictable.
I'd love to see Harley Quinn. Catwoman has been done already.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Old November 16th, 2010, 12:19 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkesfan1 View Post
I'd love to see Harley Quinn. Catwoman has been done already.
Sure, but so had The Joker and Two-Face; we will absolutely be seeing Catwoman again on film - even if I don't think it'll be in The Dark Knight Rises. I too would get a huge kick out of seeing Harley Quinn in a movie, as I've always loved that character (and I'd love to see Kristen Bell play her). I'd love to see that, someday - but not yet, especially as she should be featured alongside her man Mr. J, and we won't be seeing him again in this particular series. By this point, I firmly believe we're going to see Talia al Ghul as the female lead this time.

Old November 16th, 2010, 6:15 am
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkesfan1 View Post
Catwoman has been done already.
Yes, but she has yet to be done well. I'm confident Nolan could do the character justice finally. Especially with an actress such as Cotillard.

I'm beginning to doubt Catwoman is going to be in it though. She seems to be the fan favorite but then Nolan is also never predictable it seems. I mean we all figured The Riddler would be one of the villains and that obviously isn't happening if the directors words are true...

Last edited by lcbaseball22; November 16th, 2010 at 6:19 am.
Old November 19th, 2010, 12:10 am
Zonko's Employee

Actually I'd be super psyched to see Poison Ivy. I know who Harley Quinn is but many (nay most) people do not. Both Michelle Pfeiffer and Uma Thurman were great as the spoofy Catwoman and Poison Ivy but because of that their was never any doubt that Batman would win the day. But, if done right, Poison Ivy in particular could pose a real, viable threat where the outcome would be very uncertain. The special effects for Poison Ivy would also be great. Imagine Gotham city in ruins, over grown with plant life....

Old November 19th, 2010, 12:30 am
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeé & Scrambled Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 View Post
Yes, but she has yet to be done well. I'm confident Nolan could do the character justice finally. Especially with an actress such as Cotillard.

I'm beginning to doubt Catwoman is going to be in it though. She seems to be the fan favorite but then Nolan is also never predictable it seems. I mean we all figured The Riddler would be one of the villains and that obviously isn't happening if the directors words are true...
Maybe.

He'll probably pick someone obscure then character wise. We won't be able to guess until we see the film .

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Old January 19th, 2011, 6:00 pm
Queen of Apathy

It's been confirmed that Anne Hathaway will be Catwoman: http://www.imdb.com/news/ni7011928/

I like Anne Hathaway but I am kinda meh on this news. I am anxious to hear what other villains will play a role.

Old January 19th, 2011, 6:17 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

I would like Anne Hathaway in a Batman movie, but I don't think Michelle Pfeiffer's performance as Catwoman can be outdone, in the same sense that as good as Heath Ledger was, I thought Jack Nicholson was superior, and Ledger's character could have been tweaked to become "The Mad Hatter" for example, who thus far hasn't been depicted in a Batman movie.

Old January 19th, 2011, 6:18 pm
Secret Keeper

Hmm, Hathaway was actually one of my least preferred of those rumored Give me Cotillard, Charlize Theron, or Eva Green instead

Nevertheless, Hathaway is good actress...not a bad choice. And I am sure Nolan will handle her character well. I hope the Naomi Watts and Eva Green rumor is confirmed soon. It seemed to have some validity and along with Anne that would be a pretty killer mix of actresses.

Last edited by lcbaseball22; January 19th, 2011 at 6:26 pm.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion