Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion

Batman 3 - The Dark Knight Rises

Old June 12th, 2010, 7:01 pm
Secret Keeper

Re: Batman 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DML1991 View Post
Jude Law would be perfect for this piece of artwork from Hush...

Ok, I wasn't before when you posted that but I'm sold now on Jude Law as The Riddler!

Just watch the remake of Sleuth, in particular the 55:30 mark...though I recommend you watch the original first if you haven't seen it.

Anyways, that guy can play maniacal very well. I've seen spots of this in another film of his come to think of it, but I can't recall which. Hmm, well the only question I think is whether he could keep it up for an entire film...

I've been wrongly sorted into Gryffindor!

Last edited by lcbaseball22; June 12th, 2010 at 7:16 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old June 12th, 2010, 7:14 pm
Seventh Year

Law is still my favorite for that role, but I read a rumor just yesterday that Joseph Gordon-Levitt (who Nolan just worked with on Inception) is being considered for it. (Although we don't have confirmation on who the villain will be yet - just that The Joker will not be returning.) Nolan tends to make surprising casting choices, though, so I doubt the actor finally cast will be one who'd been rumored before.

Old June 12th, 2010, 7:21 pm
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by IenjoyAcidPops View Post
Law is still my favorite for that role, but I read a rumor just yesterday that Joseph Gordon-Levitt (who Nolan just worked with on Inception) is being considered for it. (Although we don't have confirmation on who the villain will be yet - just that The Joker will not be returning.) Nolan tends to make surprising casting choices, though, so I doubt the actor finally cast will be one who'd been rumored before.
Well has Jude Law been rumored or is he just one of the names fans have thrown out there? I know Depp was rumored (actually "confirmed" at one point by Caine but that's apparently been proven false ) but I can't recall any seeing any Jude Law rumors. Either would be an amazing choice for the role. As for Levitt, hmm well I thought he was great in (500) Days of Summer and The Lookout, but I can't see him playing the role for some reason. I dunno, I haven't really seen enough of his acting to really say. Perhaps Inception will give me a better idea...but he isn't playing a villain far as we know, right? Nolan does have a history of using the same actors in multiple films though so it wouldn't surprise me if Levitt was called back to do Batman too. BTW, I'm really glad Nolan has confirmed The Joker is NOT returning.

Last edited by lcbaseball22; June 12th, 2010 at 7:35 pm.
Old June 13th, 2010, 1:58 am
Seventh Year

No, I can't recall actually reading Jude Law as a rumor anywhere. I don't know about Joseph Gordon-Levitt, but I haven't seen him in enough to have a solid opinion. but after all, who thought "yeah, he's perfect!" when they heard Heath Ledger was going to play The Joker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 View Post
BTW, I'm really glad Nolan has confirmed The Joker is NOT returning.
So am I.

Old June 13th, 2010, 4:48 am
Sixth Year

It wasn't long ago I suggested to a friend that Levitt would be perfect as the Riddler, as opposed to a Joker recast. For those in doubt, watch Brick (excellent film with a terrific performance by Levitt).

Old June 14th, 2010, 6:08 pm
Representative Homosexual

Hmm ... I must have missed the discussion about Joseph Gordon-Levitt. Last week, Attack of the Show mentioned that Hollywood Life has broken the rumour that Gordon-Levitt will be the Riddler in Batman 3.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt In Talks To Play The Riddler In Next Batman!, Hollywood Life"Chris really dug Joseph [as an actor]," a source close to the director tells HollywoodLife.com exclusively. "There was a joke at first between them [on the set of Inception] that Joseph wanted to read for Batman 3 and things heated up as filming continued."

Adds the insider, "It’s not 100% confirmed that he's getting [the role of The Riddler] but there's certainly talk about it. Joseph is definitely on the short list."

Not sure if this is the same rumour you guys were talking about. I don't put a lot in store by anonymous sources, but it sounds like there might be some truth in the rumour.

Old June 15th, 2010, 7:31 am
Hiding under Johnny's bed...

I really like Joseph Gordon-Levitt and would welcome seeing him in the next Batman film.
Quote:
For those in doubt, watch Brick (excellent film with a terrific performance by Levitt).
Going to add it to my Netflix queue.

Old June 15th, 2010, 8:15 am
Oracle Octopus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AldeberanBlack View Post
That's the kind of Riddler I'd like to see, a cold blooded psychological killer.
Isn't that somewhat similar to Joker?

Quote:
it would be incredibly awkward watching the third film and not have the Joker involved and think to yourself "... and this villian was so major in the previous film...?"
Scare Crow was pretty major in the first movie and yet we see Batman take him out with ease in the second one. It didn't seem real then either. I don't think they would and should do Joker again, if Heath was alive, they would have considered getting him on, but now that he rests in peace, they are most likely to leave that one out. I would like to see Anarky.

Old July 16th, 2010, 4:09 am
First Year

I'd like to see the Riddler, done by either Johnny Depp or David Tennant. I imagine him as having little actual screentime, however, and acting as "the brains" behind a plot that mostly involved cyberspace, attacking things like Gotham's utilities, communications media, and public transportation. And we would really get to see the detective side of the World's Greatest Detective. And, to put in both some romance and a big fight scene, we could throw in Catwoman, played by I don't know who. Catwoman is, in my opinion, a very unique character, in that she is basically a thief (a literal cat-burglar), but is shown to have quite the altruistic streak.

As to the Joker, I see the movie ending with a poorly lit breakout from Arkham, along with an unidentified female, as well as cutting to other parts of Gotham, showing cameos from various other villains such as the Penguin, Black Mask, Bane, and maybe even Lady Shiva, putting in far too many villains for it to suggest a viable sequel, but enough to show that Batman's career as Gotham's protector is far from over.

Old August 7th, 2010, 1:52 pm
Curse Breaker

Any word on the casting for Catwoman? Seriously, it's the only thing they haven't done--write a strong, relatable woman. If they combined it with a powerful female villainness/anti-heroine...voila, perfect recipe. Plus, with Bats as isolated and close to the edge as he'll ever get, taking the weight for Dent, this would be the perfect time for Selena Kyle to slink sleekly into the foreground (man that looked better in my head than onscreen). JGL was also pretty good in The Lookout.

I don't know that The Riddler's ever been played as a truly hard villain, but he would be interesting. Intelligent, arrogant, with a different spin to his madness than the pure love of mayhem that drove the Joker.

No worries. No spoilers here.
Old August 7th, 2010, 3:19 pm
The Next Great Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrognash View Post
As to the Joker, I see the movie ending with a poorly lit breakout from Arkham, along with an unidentified female, as well as cutting to other parts of Gotham, showing cameos from various other villains such as the Penguin, Black Mask, Bane, and maybe even Lady Shiva, putting in far too many villains for it to suggest a viable sequel, but enough to show that Batman's career as Gotham's protector is far from over.
Shiva would never be in Arkham. Whatever her motivations she is not insane.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old October 28th, 2010, 2:00 am
Seventh Year

Well, lc, you might want to change this thread's title, because "Batman 3" is now The Dark Knight Rises. And, much to my and plenty of other people's surprise (and certainly my great disappointment), The Riddler will not be the villain.

Old October 28th, 2010, 2:29 am
Zonko's Employee

It's pretty much the same title just with one extra word added. I think I'm going to need to get used to it...

Hufflepuff through and through! On COS and Pottermore!
Fair, Just, Loyal and unafraid of Toil

Old October 28th, 2010, 2:29 am
Secret Keeper

Hmm, I'm not too fond of the title and it seems odd to me...it's essentially the same as the last. The Dark Knight already rose, didn't he?

And yeah, I'm kinda bummed Riddler isn't the villain. So how do you think it might be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfDeath View Post
It's pretty much the same title just with one extra word added. I think I'm going to need to get used to it...
I know Maybe it's a marketing ploy to associate it as closely with the last as possible.

Old October 28th, 2010, 6:19 am
Seventh Year

The title's fine (besides, it's not like there's a title that would blow everyone's mind), and it'll probably seem quite fitting after we see the film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 View Post
And yeah, I'm kinda bummed Riddler isn't the villain. So how do you think it might be?
I have no idea. Most of the other Batman villains of note have more fantasy/sci-fi gimmicks attached to them, so Nolan would either not be inclined to use them, 'cause they don't fit in his world, or he'd totally reinterpret them Maybe he's going for someone more obscure, like Black Mask or Deadshot.

Old October 28th, 2010, 6:22 am
Banned

He should create a new villain. I don't want to see a villain that has appeared in the other films. The Riddler is the only one I can think of that's actually plausible in reality, which Nolan's films are grounded in that the others aren't.

Old October 28th, 2010, 6:25 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberEight View Post
He should create a new villain. I don't want to see a villain that has appeared in the other films. The Riddler is the only one I can think of that's actually plausible in reality, which Nolan's films are grounded in that the others aren't.
He very well may, and I'd certainly be curious to see that.

Old October 28th, 2010, 6:33 am
Secret Keeper

The more I think about it the title just doesn't seem very good. I mean isn't this supposed to be the last film in a trilogy? It sounds more fitting for a first or 2nd film. The last one could have easily had "Rises" tacked onto it. This just does not give me a sense of finality...

Not to mention when you line 'em up this just looks wierd

Batman Begins
The Dark Knight
The Dark Knight Rises

Err, if I didn't know better I'd think the first is completely unrelated from the others. So the other 2 are part of a "Dark Knight" series?

Then again, Nolan is my favorite modern day film director so I will keep some faith

Last edited by lcbaseball22; October 28th, 2010 at 6:48 am.
Old October 28th, 2010, 7:05 am
Representative Homosexual

Best news I've heard, from that article IEAP linked:

Hero Complex interviews Christopher NolanNolan was most eager to talk about the fact that Warner Bros. had agreed with his argument that the film should resist the current 3-D craze and instead use high-definition approaches and IMAX cameras to strike out on a different cinematic path than the stereoscopic technology that, for better or worse, has become the dominant conversation in the blockbuster sector.

Thank goodness there is still sanity in Hollywood filmmaking.

Old October 28th, 2010, 7:07 am
Seventh Year

Yeah, amen to that, I'm so glad Nolan doesn't favor 3-D.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion