Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion

Batman 3 - The Dark Knight Rises

Old March 12th, 2010, 6:52 am
Secret Keeper

Batman 3 - The Dark Knight Rises

I wanted to comment on a particular article and since there was no appropriate place to do so I'm creating this thread even though it is perhaps at least a few years off, judging by its IMDB page- http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1345836/

Here's the article-

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2010/03/10...stopher-nolan/

I'm soo glad to hear the end is in sight. Not that I don't love these new Batman films...but I was worried it'd be a never ending franchise like where Spidy, Pirates of the Carribean, and Indiana Jones amongst others are headed.

As for the details regarding the project I haven't heard much. You guys will have to help me out there...some of you know the latest rumours a lot more than I do but...

Last I heard The Riddler and Catwoman sounded like strong possibilites to appear in the follow-up to The Dark Knight. In addition I've heard mention of Johnny Depp's name in connection to The Riddler amongst a few others. I think he'd be an excellent choice but I have no idea how possible his casting is. As for Catwoman I haven't heard much besides some ridiculous rumors like Cher () and Megan Fox (she's alright, but I could never see Nolan casting her) My personal choices would Jessica Biel or Kate Beckinsale but I have no idea if either is even in the running granted they are actually casting for that role. I believe there was also talk that The Joker might return but I think that would be disgraceful to Heath Ledger, so I really hope that's not the case. If they did actually re-cast I imagine it might be his look-a-like (Joseph Gordon Levitt) who strangely enough is starring in Nolan's upcoming film, Inception.

Christopher Nolan is probably my favorite modern director and I'm anxious to hear more about this next (and hopefully last) Batman movie. Let's hope he can top TDK and the trilogy goes out on a consistently high note.

I've been wrongly sorted into Gryffindor!

Last edited by lcbaseball22; March 12th, 2010 at 9:13 am.
Sponsored Links
Old March 12th, 2010, 8:59 am
Registered Animagus

Re: Batman 3

IMO Catwoman (I agree, Kate Beckinsale would be perfect) is almost a sure thing for Batman 3. With Rachel dead they don't have any female character left. Plus Catwoman can double as Batman's love interest/the villain, though if they went that route I think they'd probably have another villain on the go (hopefully The Riddler).
As for bringing back The Joker, I can't see that happening. I'm sure he'd get a mention, maybe a silhouette but I can't see a speaking-role being included.

I don't actually have anything to back up all this with by the way, it's just mere speculation at this point.

Old March 12th, 2010, 9:20 am
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hysteria View Post
IMO Catwoman (I agree, Kate Beckinsale would be perfect) is almost a sure thing for Batman 3. With Rachel dead they don't have any female character left. Plus Catwoman can double as Batman's love interest/the villain, though if they went that route I think they'd probably have another villain on the go (hopefully The Riddler).
Good point. Yeah, they'll probably want a female character. Oh, and you guys might've noticed from the IMDB page, but it looks like all the big stars are likely returning (Christian Bale, Morgan Freeman, Gary Oldman, and Michael Caine) If the likes of Johnny Depp and Kate Beckinsale joined the ranks, man that'd be such an amazing ensemble.

EDIT:

Hmm...

http://www.reelzchannel.com/movie-ne...pp-in-batman-3

Philip Seymour Hoffman as The Penguin? That'd be interesting...

P.S.

I didn't realize I hadn't put this in the "Coming Soon" section...sorry about that. Thanks to the mods for moving it.

Last edited by lcbaseball22; March 12th, 2010 at 9:34 am.
Old March 12th, 2010, 9:40 am
Representative Homosexual

Hmm ... I have a hard time believing they'd just quit after three, especially since they're big money makers. Remember, the rights don't belong to Nolan; if there's money to be made, they'll find a director willing to make it. But who knows. I've enjoyed BB and TDK, so I'm sure I'll at least watch the third one. I don't know about this "epic" script though. If there's anything I hate about modern cinema, it's how long some films are. Thanks for posting the article!

Old March 12th, 2010, 10:04 am
Secret Keeper

I found a run-down of the rumors and their sources -http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit.../news/?a=11896

As for Catwoman, I'm looking into it more and here's the odd thing...

I have read that a bunch of actresses have expressed interest in the role (Angelina Jolie, Charlize Theron (I could go for her ), Rachel Weisz, and Megan Fox) but the screenwriters don't even seem to be considering Catwoman

Source- http://www.totalfilm.com/news/no-pen...for-batman-3-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah Nolan and David Goyer

Everyone says its gotta be The Penguin or Catwoman… well I completely disagree

Then again, we should know by now that Nolan likes to keep his movies very secret so maybe that was just a ploy to keep us guessing. We may not know for quite a while...

Last edited by lcbaseball22; March 12th, 2010 at 10:12 am.
Old March 12th, 2010, 10:10 am

It would seem odd if the story didn't revolve around two-face, right? Hopefully, they won't make the Riddler team up again. That'd be kind of boring. (I thought Jim Carrey did a bang up job. Forever was one of my favourites of the old franchise for some odd reason, perhaps simply because of the cast.)

Old March 12th, 2010, 10:16 am
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastaban43 View Post
It would seem odd if the story didn't revolve around two-face, right?
Err, I think he was killed at the end of TDK... http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/artic...80/story.jhtml

So unless he's going to be re-incarnated or have a super-natural presence, I doubt it

Last edited by lcbaseball22; March 12th, 2010 at 10:22 am.
Old March 12th, 2010, 10:20 am

Hmm ... I guess it's pretty certain then he's not going to be in it. Anyway, there's still plenty of baddies - it'd be hard to say which one it was. I'm hoping for some new ones (or rather, old ones from the comics that haven't already appeared in a film).

Old March 12th, 2010, 10:29 am
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Catwoman has been done to death. They tried to reimagine the character with Halle Berry but it didn't work. They should just leave that alone now.

No way should Megan Fox be anywhere near a Batman movie. She strikes me as being a rather wooden "flavour of the month", like a female version of Shia LaBoeuf.

The Riddler should be the sole villain in Batman III with Johnny Depp playing the role. Inspirations for plots should come from the movie "Seven" where a very intelligent villain leads the heroes on a murder trail, the movie "Die Hard With A Vengeance" where the hero had to race against time solving puzzles and riddles to prevent bombs being detonated, and from the real life serial killer "Zodiac" who would send the police cryptic messages and actively taunt them with letters. That's the kind of Riddler I'd like to see, a cold blooded psychological killer.

Then I think in Batman IV, Harlequin should be brought into the franchise. She's essentially a female version of the Joker, so if they cast a talented enough actress in the role (Helena Bonham Carter immediately springs to mind), they could have a great character to work with.

The Penguin might be a good choice too, as perhaps some kind of arms dealer/mob boss. Phillp Seymour Hoffman has long been rumoured to be a contender for that role, and I think he'd do a good job.

Old March 12th, 2010, 10:46 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by AldeberanBlack View Post
No way should Megan Fox be anywhere near a Batman movie. She strikes me as being a rather wooden "flavour of the month", like a female version of Shia LaBoeuf.
I couldn't agree with you more on that regard. I don't know about Johnny Depp though. Is that one of the rumours? He's one of my favourite actors for sure but perhaps I've just got the image of Jim Carrey stuck in my head, and those two definitely don't blend well. XD

Old March 12th, 2010, 10:48 am
The Next Great Adventurer

Given my druthers I'd rather they have one of the lesser known non-fancy dress villains. Failing that, one from the rogues' gallery who hasn't had a run in the films preferably Mr Zsasz (who was briefly in Batman Begins, but only as an extra) or the one of the ilk of Anarky or Nite-Wing who see themselves as wokring in the side of the good guys.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old March 12th, 2010, 12:52 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

As much as I liked "The Dark Knight", I was little disappointed that they reimagined the Joker. I think with minimum effort, Heath Ledger could have basically played the Mad Hatter, who could easily have been adapted into the Joker for that film. I do agree that there are still a lot of good villains that have never been used in a modern Batman movie.

As it's been mentioned, there are Zsask and Anarky, but there are also villains like Black Mask, Blockbuster, Calendar Man, Harlequin, Hush, and the Great White Shark who could all potentially be part of interesting follow up to "The Dark Knight"

Old March 12th, 2010, 3:03 pm
Registered Animagus

I'm not sure I'd like The Riddler now that I think about it. I liked him in the Adam West Batman but those were only what, 20 minutes long? For a whole movie I think it might get dull.
Anarky would be perfect IMO (but I wonder if these lesser-known villains have any chance in a movie like this. I would have thought that the well known villains would be the obvious choice from a commercial POV).

I wasn't saying I WANT Catwoman btw, just that I think it's very, very likely given the lack of female characters now that Rachel is gone.

Old March 12th, 2010, 3:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hysteria View Post
Anarky would be perfect IMO (but I wonder if these lesser-known villains have any chance in a movie like this.
I think what would happen is we would find out who the villain(s) is going to be then educate ourselves about him/her as need be. I didn't really know anything about Batman when watching the old films, so all the villains were new to me then. There's no reason a new villain shouldn't work now. I think the Joker and Dent stories were just so big, they couldn't avoid those, but other than that, who knows. I have no idea who Anarky is (and frankly, I dislike the title of Anarky being given to a villain D: ) but I'm sure we'll be able to figure him/her out. XD

Old March 12th, 2010, 3:49 pm
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AldeberanBlack View Post

The Riddler should be the sole villain in Batman III with Johnny Depp playing the role. Inspirations for plots should come from the movie "Seven" where a very intelligent villain leads the heroes on a murder trail, the movie "Die Hard With A Vengeance" where the hero had to race against time solving puzzles and riddles to prevent bombs being detonated, and from the real life serial killer "Zodiac" who would send the police cryptic messages and actively taunt them with letters. That's the kind of Riddler I'd like to see, a cold blooded psychological killer.
Sounds good to me. All 3 of those are great movies. If they took inspiration from 'em that'd be pretty awesome

Old March 12th, 2010, 6:41 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 View Post
I believe there was also talk that The Joker might return but I think that would be disgraceful to Heath Ledger, so I really hope that's not the case.
Ledger would be insulted if he wasn't recast because of his death. Nolan has even stated that he had plans for the third film with the Joker, and it's ever so clear with the ending, that the Joker was meant to continue over to the third film. Nolan had an original idea of how the trilogy would play out and it's themes it would explore, to abandon it because Ledger died, Ledger would be insulted by that. The Joker changes in all the GN's, it's a part of the character, he's constantly evolving. Look at how he evolves between The Animated Series and Return of the Joker. A slight change in looks or mannerisms would not be a disgrace remotely.

I'm excited that Nolan states that this is the ending... because it gives an ending to a character that is supposed to be without an ending, Batman never ends. So how is Nolan going to end it? How is Nolan going to be able to achieve this, and why is he excited about it? The films are without a doubt the most faithful comic book films out there to it's canon, so this is a tall order of Nolan here. Batman is a character and franchise without an ending, this isn't like Pirates of the Caribbean, Indiana Jones (though Indiana Jones is a character that can go on to his death, where Batman would continue beyond Wayne's death) or Spider-Man (similiar sentiments to Indy could be said here, though). I just don't see how an ending can come within the first year of Batman.

Old March 12th, 2010, 7:22 pm
The Next Great Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DML1991 View Post
where Batman would continue beyond Wayne's death) or Spider-Man (similiar sentiments to Indy could be said here, though). I just don't see how an ending can come within the first year of Batman.
Batman in comics continuity has continued beyond Wayne's death.

If this is to be the end of the current incarnation of Batman, it doesn't have to close with an ending, but could close with the introduction of one of the furture members of the bat posse.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old March 12th, 2010, 7:58 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
Batman in comics continuity has continued beyond Wayne's death.
That's what I said.
Quote:
If this is to be the end of the current incarnation of Batman, it doesn't have to close with an ending, but could close with the introduction of one of the furture members of the bat posse.
Perhaps, but this doesn't seem like something Nolan is perhaps interested in. He's already expressed that he doesn't care to do Robin, either.

Old March 13th, 2010, 4:07 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by DML1991 View Post
Ledger would be insulted if he wasn't recast because of his death. Nolan has even stated that he had plans for the third film with the Joker, and it's ever so clear with the ending, that the Joker was meant to continue over to the third film. Nolan had an original idea of how the trilogy would play out and it's themes it would explore, to abandon it because Ledger died, Ledger would be insulted by that. The Joker changes in all the GN's, it's a part of the character, he's constantly evolving. Look at how he evolves between The Animated Series and Return of the Joker. A slight change in looks or mannerisms would not be a disgrace remotely.

I'm excited that Nolan states that this is the ending... because it gives an ending to a character that is supposed to be without an ending, Batman never ends. So how is Nolan going to end it? How is Nolan going to be able to achieve this, and why is he excited about it? The films are without a doubt the most faithful comic book films out there to it's canon, so this is a tall order of Nolan here. Batman is a character and franchise without an ending, this isn't like Pirates of the Caribbean, Indiana Jones (though Indiana Jones is a character that can go on to his death, where Batman would continue beyond Wayne's death) or Spider-Man (similiar sentiments to Indy could be said here, though). I just don't see how an ending can come within the first year of Batman.
I just took Nolan's comments to mean that this third film would be the end of this particular take on the character, a conclusion to Goyer and the Nolans' story. After all, Warner Bros. will try to continue the franchise after Chris Nolan and co. leave, so I don't think we'll see any situations in movie 3 that will preclude further installments.

On the Joker issue, if The Joker's part of the plan for this film, then by all means, recast. I can't imagine a situation right now that isn't somehow awkward, because either you bring in an actor with a new take - possibly a brilliant new take, and it doesn't fit with the characterization shown in The Dark Knight, or you just have an actor aping Ledger's performance. I don't think there'd be anything disgraceful to a recast, because after all, the show goes on, and we all want a great film.

Old March 13th, 2010, 4:46 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by IenjoyAcidPops View Post
On the Joker issue, if The Joker's part of the plan for this film, then by all means, recast. I can't imagine a situation right now that isn't somehow awkward, because either you bring in an actor with a new take - possibly a brilliant new take, and it doesn't fit with the characterization shown in The Dark Knight, or you just have an actor aping Ledger's performance. I don't think there'd be anything disgraceful to a recast, because after all, the show goes on, and we all want a great film.
Yeah, and I think, if they didn't recast the Joker, it would be incredibly awkward watching the third film and not have the Joker involved and think to yourself "... and this villian was so major in the previous film...?". It's awkward either way, but I don't think a filmmaker should abandon his vision because of something like this. It could work where the Joker doesn't appear and stays happily ever after locked in Arkham and the film references him and his influence on Gotham, or better do the recast and have him in a Hannibal Lecter esque role. It's difficult to pull off, but I want Nolan to do the best job with it, I have the faith, but I don't want him to take an easy way out (which would be to simply write off recasting the Joker and have the character have no role in the film).

But, there's going to be a major villian with or without the Joker, being familiar with the comics, my input on the matter...

Catwoman... in my ideal world, she would be cast, though she really isn't a villian (there's too much gray in the character to be a villian or hero/anti-hero). Bruce has lost Rachel, develop Selina losing someone that meant something to her if not a passionate romantic friend. Selina is a character who needs a real actress to play her and not a sexual idol, someone who has real acting chops, because the character's ambiguity is particularly complex when handled by the right hands. The portrayal of the character in The Long Halloween, Dark Victory and Hush (all incidently being written by Jeph Loeb) is without a doubt the best I've read of the character.

The Riddler... I can't help but feel it's too similiar to the Joker. A sinister lunatic goes mad in Gotham, where the Joker is a messy terrorist, he's a cleaned up genius monster. The characters are different on premise and principle, but they have their similarities as well, which makes me a little uneasy. It's also an easy character to jump to for a film after the Joker. Depp would be good, but too safe a casting choice. Some people think Jeremy Davies should, based off his work on LOST, he'd be a fantastic choice for the portrayal in The Long Halloween (which Nolan has cited as his favorite Batman GN and the biggest influence on The Dark Knight) and Dark Victory, but for another LOST actor, I would actually cast Michael Emerson. Something about him seems perfect for the character, even though I really can't describe why. It just clicks.

The Penguin... Phillip Seymour Hoffman could make it work, but really, I want to see the film avoid this. Great villian who could provide an interesting social commentary that adds to other themes Nolan's take on Batman has explored, especially in The Dark Knight, but the character himself adds nothing to Batman's character arc. Even in TDK where Bruce/Batman had less focus of development than Begins had (though it essentially is the supreme Batman film in that regard, it's just Begins dedicated an entire film to developing his origin), Two-Face and the Joker both added alot to Batman's character arc. Harvey Dent was the result of everything Batman was trying to achieve, to counter the Batman wanna-be's who were messing what he was trying to do up, but then his fall into Two Face is everything Batman feared of the city. Dent's rise and fall was absolutely essential to Batman going into the film and walking out of it. Where the Joker, like Dent had his coin that half was burned on giving him two choice, the Joker was the blackened side of the coin where Batman was the untarnished side. There's so much the two villians added to Batman's arc, where I feel the Penguin would add nothing, Catwoman certainly would... the Riddler, an interesting villian, but I don't see the connections it would create on the level that Nolan was able to create in The Dark Knight. These villians would be like Scarecrow in Begins, they would add to the story somewhat (or be plot devices), but not to Batman's arc.

I really don't know what they can do here, it's up to the Nolan's and how they make it work. I just hope they can pull off a classic and interesting villian, but do something that adds to the themes their Batman films have explored instead of simply fan service.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion