Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

James Potter: Character Analysis v.4

View Poll Results: Can James in any way be blamed for what happened in 1981?
Yes, he should have chosen Dumbledore as Secret Keeper. 40 12.31%
Partly. He and Lily should not have agreed to switch to Peter. 26 8.00%
No, he could not have anticipated such a betrayal. Hindsight is twenty-twenty. 110 33.85%
No, he trusted his friends, something that paid off for Harry in DH, despite Remus' warning. 89 27.38%
The only one to blame is Voldemort. 43 13.23%
Oh dear, I never like Moriath's options. 8 2.46%
Something else entirely that hopefully doesn't include Snape. 9 2.77%
Voters: 325. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 8th, 2010, 9:21 pm
Seventh Year

Re: James Potter: Character Analysis v.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignisia View Post
Precisely. That was the point of UselessCharmMaster's post: to point out how ridiculous is the assertion that James has no flaws.
Oh. It didn't seem sarcastic to me. Lol.

Sponsored Links
Old January 8th, 2010, 10:00 pm
MODLY CREW

Maybe we can branch out a bit and not solely focus on James' faults or the lack thereof? Also, the sarcasm. It has to go, you guys.

Old January 8th, 2010, 11:07 pm
Fifth Year

What are James' greatest strengths? What his greatest weaknesses?

His strengths are that he is loyal and willing to put his life in danger for those he loves. His weaknesses are that he is arrogant and foolhardy.

Do you think James had ulterior motives for saving Snape in the Shack incident or was he doing the right thing on instinct?

I believe he needed to save his and his friends' own behinds. Although I'm sure (or I hope) when he was older his intentions would have been nobler.

Which qualities do you think made Dumbledore choose James as Head Boy?

I think he did it to test James and try to build his character.

What do you think about James throwing himself in Voldemort's way and dying wandless? Foolish or very brave or both?

Often foolish and brave are the same. But I think it was brave and circumstantial. He probably couldn't have grabbed his wand in time and jumping in front of Voldemort brought his family more time.

James is Harry’s father but he died before Harry had the chance to get to know him. Is he a good role model?

Yes and no. James was not there to set a good example for Harry. Because Harry never knew him, he built an idealized version of James in his mind. That version of James is a good role model

Would he have become a good father?

I think so. In Deathly Hallows the letter and picture that Harry found gave me the impression that James was very involved in his child's life.

How has he influenced Harry’s present life?

I believe Harry views James as an ideal he has to live up to. He always thinks of how his father would have reacted in his situation, what his father would think of him, etc.

Why did James choose Sirius over Dumbledore as Secret Keeper? Didn’t he trust Dumbledore with his life?

Sirius was his best friend and he let that stand in the way of reason.

James made Sirius Harry’s godfather. Was this a good decision?

Yes. Although Sirius was immature at times, he loved Harry like a son and I suppose that's all that matters.

We got bits and pieces of James’ life. Has he matured over the years and become a better person?

I don't think we have enough information to say. We know that he got a little less arrogant with Lily. But later we only see him in situations with his family and friends so we can't know how he would have acted around other people.

How did DH change your view on James Potter?

DH made me like James a little. Reading about him with Harry and his toy broom helped to lessen the image of the arrogant little boy with a silver spoon in his mouth.

How did Lily's friendship with Snape influence James' behaviour?

I think it increased his cockiness. Sometimes I think the only reason he started liking Lily is because she was friends with Snape. I think seeing a beautiful girl with a greasy weird boy with a big nose (for whom he had already expressed his dislike) probably confused him then made him jealous. On top of that, the girl is a Gryffindor and the boy is a Slytherin.

James supported his friend Remus Lupin financially after school. How do you interpret this piece of information?

Remus was his friend and in a difficult situation. James was wealthy. It's what I would expect. After all, he became animagus for him. This is just an example of his loyalty to his friends.

James and Lily were full-time Order members. How long do you think they kept fighting before they went into hiding?

I would think they fought about three years before they went into hiding. I think this because when Voldemort came they were totally caught off guard. This, to me, suggests that they had been in hiding for some time with success and became relaxed enough to be without their wands. But I think they would not have gone into hiding immediately because they would not stand for the idea of everybody else fighting while they were not.

What does this say about James' character?

I think it says that he has no problem risking his life to fight evil.

Last edited by MistressofRaven; January 9th, 2010 at 5:22 am.
Old January 9th, 2010, 12:49 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
I voted for "Voldemort was the only one to blame", although I agree with some of the other options too - but this one seems the most inclusive.
Same here

What are James' greatest strengths? What his greatest weaknesses?
James was very loyal to his friends and he trused them with his life. I believe he really cared for all the people he loved. he was also very deicated to helping in the war and he was very against Voldmeort and the Death Eaters. Weaknesses would be that he can be arrogant and a bit full of himself.

Do you think James had ulterior motives for saving Snape in the Shack
incident or was he doing the right thing on instinct?

I think he was doing it to make sure that his friends didn't get caught but also for Snape. As much as James hated him, I doubt he wanted him dead. I'm hoping he was a little more mature by then..?

Which qualities do you think made Dumbledore choose James as Head Boy?

I think there could have been a number of reasons. One that I think is true is that James took responsibility and leadership during his 7th year because of the war. he was getting older and he also got a little more mature. He may have gotten in less trouble because of this decision which is what I think Dumbledore was aiming for.

What do you think about James throwing himself in Voldemort's way and dying wandless? Foolish or very brave or both?
I think James and Lily had too much confidence in their secret keeper so they thought that it would be ok to be unarmed at times. I think james was acting bravely because he knew he would die if he tried to face Voldemort. He was thinking of Lily and Harry.

James is Harry’s father but he died before Harry had the chance to get to know him. Is he a good role model? Would he have become a good father? How has he influenced Harry’s present life?
I think James would have been a fine father. He cares very much about his family and friends and would go to any length to protect them. Of course, James probably would have turned into more of a parent as he got older and I think he would be someone that Harry could look up to.

Why did James choose Sirius over Dumbledore as Secret Keeper? Didn’t he trust Dumbledore with his life?
Yes, he did trust Dumbledore with his life but he also trusted Sirius with his life and he knew Sirius better than Dumbledore. He never wanted to believe that any of his friends would ever betray him and he put his full trust in them. Harry gets that trait from him, I think.

James made Sirius Harry’s godfather. Was this a good decision?
I think it was a good decision. Sirius was like family to the Potters and James probably had other reasons for wanting Sirius to be his godfather. As we see later, Sirius truns out to be a very good godfather indeed. He cares about Harry like a son and he has a good strong bond with him. He wasn't a bad influence on him either.

We got bits and pieces of James’ life. Has he matured over the years and become a better person?
I think he has definitely matured over the years. Especially in his 7th year. I think he realized that the time for stupid pranks and being immature was to be left in the past. In his 7th year, the Wizard World is at war and that may have woke him up. He becomes very interested in helping the cause and eagerly joins the Order of the Phoenix.

What was James’ relationship to Lily Evans/Sirius Black/Peter Pettigrew/Remus Lupin/Albus Dumbledore/Minerva McGonagall/Frank and Alice Longbottom?
Lily-Obviously we all know he really loved Lily.
Sirius-his best friend/brother, trusted him with his life
Remus-friend, someone he cared about
Peter-a friend and someone he cared about
Dumbledore-someone he probably looked up to and respected
Minerva-she was part of the order and he he was very good at Transfiguration. he probably had some respect for her.
Frank and Alice-in the order with them. Maybe they were friends?

How did DH change your view on James Potter?
We really didn't find out too much new info about him so my views didn't change at all. I still like him

How did Lily's friendship with Snape influence James' behaviour?
Well since James already hated Snape it probably made things worse because Snape was best friends with Lily. James was most likely irritated and he just wanted to break them apart.

James supported his friend Remus Lupin financially after school. How do you interpret this piece of information?
He obviously cared enough for his friend to help him out when he needed the help. That's a plus.

James and Lily were full-time Order members. How long do you think they kept fighting before they went into hiding? What does this say about James' character?
Well they stayed in the Order and continued to fight up until Lily got pregnant so around a year. This shows that James is willing to fight for the goodness of their world and it also shows that he is brave and caring. He wanted to fight and he wanted to be involved in something important.

Marauders' girl through and through.
Padfoot is my love

Old January 9th, 2010, 4:23 am
Lycanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl_Took View Post
Seriously, Wick?
Yes.

Quote:
One thing that intrigues me is when James's parents died (same with Lily). I wonder how this affected him. Surely the experience of being bereaved would have made him grow up very fast ... especially when combined with the gathering clouds of the First War. His final years must have been pretty dark and tense at times, or at least had dark and tense moments.
Well I think there were a lot of bright and happy times too, that helped to counterbalance the war and deaths and so forth. He married his love, had a child, had good friends, etc., so I would think it would all balance out to a life of good and bad times like everyone has. I think all of the experiences, good and bad, can cause a person's character to evolve - but not always markedly - although I think everything can have an impact in that regard.

Old January 9th, 2010, 3:14 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwickedboy View Post
Yes.
The burden of proof lies with you, IMO. But since there are a number of posts in this thread with which I agree, pointing out James's character strengths and his flaws -- all made pretty clear in canon -- I see no reason to embellish my point further.

Old January 9th, 2010, 3:31 pm
Seventh Year

I seriously cannot believe that James had no flaws whatsoever, when even tremendously good characters like Dumbledore and Snape had their flaws, as well. You could say that we don't have a clear enough picture of Adult James to establish his weaknesses, but to claim that he had none as a human being? That makes him an unrealistic Gary Stu: absolutely immaculate without any realistic character flaws to humanize him. If we're talking about Teen James, then canon clearly establishes that he did have flaws.

Anyway, I don't want to derail this thread.

Last edited by SwedishSkinJer; January 9th, 2010 at 3:33 pm.
Old January 9th, 2010, 4:11 pm
Always Indy's Girl

I think James' greatest strength was his loyalty. I really believe it was James who kept Sirius on track. Sirius IMO was a very reckless person, who cared little for consequences even as he acted. He showed it not only in the werewolf incident, but in suspecting Remus and suggesting the SK switch. If it weren't for James, I think whatever side Sirius was on, whether he was fighting for the Order or not; he would have still ended up being wrong and his actions having terrible consequences for himself and others. James was his anchor who kept him sane and checked his wayward tendencies IMO.

Another quality which I think James had was his ability to forgive his friends even if they went way over the top. He forgives Sirius for sending Snape into the tunnel; and he forgave Sirius for suggesting Peter, even though in that act the responsibility was his. (James and Sirius were happy in the Forest scene; I presume all was forgiven)

I find it very interesting that in the same year we had two people who became deadly enemies but who were loyal friends; boys who'd do anything for their friend. Even die for them if need be.

James and Snape. Both of them loved their friends. They were loyal to their friends to a fault. James trusted Sirius, while Snape remained loyal to Lily's memory all his life.

The only difference was that Sirius did not need to choose between his friend and the girl he had a crush on (if he had to, I feel he would have chosen James), while Lily decided to choose between her friend and the boy she was attracted to.

James as a friend was wonderful. James as a person though was different IMO. He was arrogant, slightly cruel and thought himself superior to others; and had fixed ideas about right and wrong and was on the narrow-minded side. Whether he evolved I don't know; personally I don't think so.

There is nothing of which every man is so afraid, as getting to know how enormously much he is capable of doing and becoming - Soren Kierkegaard

Spotlight on Snape and Molly

:indy:
Old January 9th, 2010, 4:35 pm
Lycanthrope

Quote:
The burden of proof lies with you, IMO. But since there are a number of posts in this thread with which I agree, pointing out James's character strengths and his flaws -- all made pretty clear in canon -- I see no reason to embellish my point further.
Well if you read back, the overwhelming number of posters chose the same weakness. As my avatar indicates, I have a different view of that trait. So unless there is something else in the canon I missed, I don't see any. My focus was on the adult James, by the way; note in my strengths I didn't add athleticism or resourcefulness at becoming an animagi, etc., because that was all kid stuff.

Relative to Moriaths plea, I had another idea that I thought would be in character for James in light of his humor and spirit of fun. It would be six ways of cool for him to have draped his invisibility cloak over them when they were cruising around on Sirius' motorbike - imagine the feel of the whipping air and maybe even the sound wooshing by before a bystander, who experiences all that, but sees nothing - .

Last edited by wickedwickedboy; January 9th, 2010 at 5:01 pm.
Old January 9th, 2010, 6:00 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
As my avatar indicates, I have a different view of that trait.
Well, I'm with Lily and Harry. I don't regard bullying and macho arrogance as remotely admirable or attractive. But I am not going to pursue this further.

Quote:
Relative to Moriaths plea, I had another idea that I thought would be in character for James in light of his humor and spirit of fun. It would be six ways of cool for him to have draped his invisibility cloak over them when they were cruising around on Sirius' motorbike - imagine the feel of the whipping air and maybe even the sound wooshing by before a bystander, who experiences all that, but sees nothing - .
I did like the little prequel that Rowling wrote about James and Sirius. It was a nice glimpse into their strong friendship, and I liked the sense of danger contrasted with their brotherly solidarity and sense of fun.

Last edited by Pearl_Took; January 9th, 2010 at 6:26 pm.
Old January 9th, 2010, 6:14 pm
Seventh Year

So, even Malfoy's arrogance was admirable? Voldemort's arrogance?

There's nothing even remotely "awesome" about the arrogance that leads to bullying, and this is coming from someone who was frequently bullied in middle school, which included being physically hit on several occasions. Should I call my attackers and tell them that their arrogance was "awesome"? No: arrogance isn't knowing that you're awesome (self-worship anyone?), it's a delusion that enables some of the worst behavior imaginable. I don't want to make this too personal, so I'll leave it there.

Old January 9th, 2010, 7:11 pm
Lycanthrope

Is that right... Well I don't associate arrogance with other factors, which is why I don't see it as a negative. If I understood it to necessarily be linked it to murder or prejudice, bullying or greed, then yeah, it wouldn't be good. I think James arrogance fed his self esteem and boosted his determination. Whether he was always judicious is a separate matter, imo. But the trait itself is a good one to me. Any trait can be linked up with other ideas, but that doesn't impact the trait itself. Diligence didn't become a weakness or negative trait merely because the caretaker exhibited it with Voldemort and got himself killed. Diligence was and is still a good thing, he just wasn't judicious in his use of it in that instance.

Old January 9th, 2010, 7:30 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

Quote:
Is that right... Well I don't associate arrogance with other factors, which is why I don't see it as a negative. If I understood it to necessarily be linked it to murder or prejudice, bullying or greed, then yeah, it wouldn't be good. I think James arrogance fed his self esteem and boosted his determination. Whether he was always judicious is a separate matter, imo. But the trait itself is a good one to me.
There is a difference between having self-confidence and being arrogant. Arrogant people are cocky, they show off, they put other people down. People who are self- confident don't behave in such a manner. Self-confidence is generally considered to be a good thing to have, but arrogance is generally considered to be an unatrractive trait.

Last edited by TreacleTartlet; January 9th, 2010 at 7:33 pm.
Old January 9th, 2010, 7:37 pm
Seventh Year

There is a considerable difference between self-confidence and arrogance. However, self-confidence isn't automatically positive due to differing contexts, because having an INFLATED sense of confidence in your judgment and abilities (Voldemort) leads to arrogance. Self-confidence should only be a positive when it is realistic and not used as a justification for harmful deeds. I'm sure someone like Stalin had a good deal of self-confidence, but was his confidence realistic? Was it used to carry out and justify actions that are commendable?

I'm sorry, but I like the idea of "I have confidence in my ability to respect others" more than "I'm awesome and confident in my abilities, so how about I go show off and punch someone simply because I have the ability to do so?".

Old January 9th, 2010, 7:43 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishSkinJer View Post
There is a considerable difference between self-confidence and arrogance. However, self-confidence isn't automatically positive due to differing contexts, because having an INFLATED sense of confidence in your judgment and abilities (Voldemort) leads to arrogance.

I don't wish to get off topic, but my understanding is that self-confident people are aware of both their strengths and weaknesses, and know how to play to their strengths. They do not have an inflated impression of their abilities, as that would as you say would be arrogance.

Old January 9th, 2010, 7:46 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreacleTartlet View Post
I don't wish to get off topic, but my understanding is that self-confident people are aware of both their strengths and weaknesses, and know how to play to their strengths. They do not have an inflated impression of their abilities, as that would as you say would be arrogance.
I think it depends on how you use your confidence. I don't believe that being self-confident necessarily means that you are objective about strengths and weaknesses, because some of the definitions vary depending on context. I'm just astounded that someone appears to be defending arrogance. "Arrogance is knowing that you're awesome" is a very dangerous mentality that could justify all sorts of evil.

Old January 9th, 2010, 7:49 pm
Lycanthrope

Well we would all just have to agree to disagree. I think the topic is returning to the same discussion we were asked to take a pass on so... How 'bout those Patriots?

Old January 9th, 2010, 8:35 pm
Second Year

@ WickedWickedBoy:
Your avatar is my AIM status quote.

Anyway, I don't think that James can be blamed for what he did. He did not know that Peter was a spy and he still trusted one of his best friends with his life. Peter had proven his loyalty (in James's mind) by becoming an Animagus and going on their monthly jaunts. He was an Order member, he fought the good fight, yadda yadda. Like the option I chose says, hindsight is 20-20. We know how the story plays out. We know that Peter was a spy. James didn't. Although I personally would have stayed with Sirius as my Secret-Keeper were I in the same situation, I can not say that James is to blame. The blame for his family's death resides solely with Peter and with Voldemort.

"The problem isn't that there are too many fools, it's that the lightning isn't distributed correctly."
-Mark Twain

"There, did you think to kill me? There's no flesh and blood in this cloak to kill. There's only an idea. Ideas are bulletproof. Farewell."
-V

FIGHT ON!

Old January 9th, 2010, 8:48 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

If James's loyalty was his greatest strength, it was also his greatest weakness as it led him to choose Sirius/Peter as SK instead of the logical, wiser choice of Dumbledore.

FWIW, I dislike arrogant people, both real and fictional.

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998
Old January 9th, 2010, 9:02 pm
Assistant to Minister Granger

Quote:
I don't regard bullying and macho arrogance as remotely admirable or attractive.
You can say that again. Arrogance repulses me.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies